Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
bheansidhe

Pumpkin II (2014)

Pumpkin artwork by Asenath Waite!

Blackened pumpkin with clove, tobacco absolute, aged patchouli, and oakmoss.

Clove, tobacco absolute, aged patchouli, and oakmoss James Earl Jones / Barry White duet in the pumpkin patch.

Slightly more useful review on retest: Beautiful; woodsy, mossy, with a dry spiced pumpkin pulp in the background. Not a foody blend, nor a pumpkin-dominant one, though pumpkin lends a beautiful soft creaminess in the back. This smells like a spiced forest floor. It's masculine without reading as "cologne," and while the clove is definitely there, it doesn't seem to be stomping over everything.

Just received this. I agree with OctobeGwen: HOLY CLOVE!

It is a scent I do like, it is spicy and sweet enough without going into straight up foody territory. However the clove just overpowers everything else in it-in the bottle and on my skin. We will see if aging helps with bringing the other notes out of hiding!

Spicy, clove-laden pumpkin love potion. That's what this says to me. It really isn't foody. I find it a very sexy, grown-up sort of pumpkin blend. So warming and yet dark too. Very nice.

On me, the clove isn't the strongest, surprisingly, though it is present. The first note mixed in with the pumpkin is a blast of super strong cinnamon, which eventually fades. (I think is part of pumpkin note) Overall, spices and pumpkin, with a slightly darker backdrop that I'm guessing is the tobacco/patch, though I can't pick them out. Sadly this is too much like pie (though nice smelling pie; I amp sweet.) for me to wear much, though I may hold on to my decant and see how it ages.

I. Love. This.

I was a bit skeptical because of the patchouli. Not any more! If you are hesitating because of the patchouli, stop that right now. This is beautiful. On me it is a deep, dark, spicy, woodsy cinnamon. I'm not getting any clove, or maybe just a smidge as part of the cinnamon. The patchouli and tobacco just add deepness, darkness, and stability. Moss? Not so much. Not getting any "pie" feel at all. This is earthy. This is deep. This is gorgeous. Getting another bottle. At least.

:thud:

In the bottle: I'm getting all the notes, delightfully blending together and well balanced.

Wet: Much as on cold sniff: blackened pumpkin that's been covered with clove, tobacco, patch, and oakmoss. I smell yummy, but not foodie.

The dry-down: The pumpkin comes more forward, and the other notes are now fainter. Still a rather exquisite scent. :) Unisex.

First applied, this has strong clove and it's rich and cake-y smelling, as if there was a thick vanilla here. Sadly there's very little throw on me and the pumpkin stops being rich and buttery and turns dry and husky, sort of a wood scent. Still a good oil for those that like patchouli and clove. surely it will age well.

The oakmoss and patchouli on this one are definitely the strongest notes. The oakmoss being the strongest. That is what you get when wet and sniffing the bottle. On the dry down though the clove and pumpkin peek out and make it less oakmossy. Very dark and sexy scent.

I tried this one & thought: "Now this is the Devil's Bake Sale!". Even more so than Sugar Cookie, this scent with all its smoldering deep spices brings to mind demonic cookies. Love it! :twisted:

I have really enjoyed these reviews. This one was a suprise hit for me. I liked many of the Weenies but this one is amazing on my skin.

Its outdoorsy, Autumnal & warm. Very suductive. Elemental & foody. I smell the glowing g pumpkins and still slightly moist October air. There is warm hint of something a little spicy. As stated upthread, "The devil's bakesale", Ha!!

Edited by Sophies6

I got a tiny tester amount in a bottle. What a surprise! I never thought to try this because I am very afraid of patchouli!

In the bottle: Yep, cinnamon and clove, but very balanced. They both seem to be evenly matched. One doesn't dominate the other.

On skin: Ok, NOW the clove is beating up the cinnamon, but both still there. I think I get a little pumpkin in there, but not much. This is still crazy good!

Dry down: As someone mentioned above, this is very sexy....a teeny foody, but not so much. I don't get tobacco and I can get a little hint of moss, but it is so wonderfully blended. Don't be afraid to try this if you are afraid of the patchouli like me. I don't get any, but I think all the notes are perfectly balanced and this is a perfect Halloween scent! A lovely surprise!!!!!

Spice...cinnamon, maybe ginger and definitely clove. No pumpkin to speak of. Very much like the many other pumpkin blends the Lab puts out. I wish I got patchouli, it would definitely make this more interesting.

Edited by milo

Very clove-y, much more than I expected. Also pine. It's like a burning forest in here, not a pumpkin patch!

This is a bit sweet and pie-like similar to the other pumpkin patch scents once it dries down, but it is VERY sharp and bitter in the wet stage.

The description for this sounded like one of my favorite Solstice Scents blends - Jack & The Devil - which is notes of: "Vanilla, tobacco, oakmoss, amber, patchouli, pumpkin and soft spice." So if anyone is looking for this sort of scent, I'd recommend checking them out :)
With Jack & The Devil, I can actually smell all of the listed notes, where bpal's pumpkin scents tend to smell overwhelmingly of cinnamon spice in these later years. I get mostly cinnamon from Pumpkin II '14, with a hint of earthy patchouli after about an hour. The other notes just can't come out over the heavy pumpkin spice.

Oddly, this was closer to pumpkin spice cinnamon buns? I think it's the clove and tobacco making this read that way maybe? The pumpkin note itself was barely present, the other notes are stronger. Especially the patchouli!

While it does resemble food some, I wouldn't call this foodie. It is pretty interesting and I'd recommend trying this out if you think the notes would work for you!