Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Antique Lace

Nostalgia encapsulated. A soft, wistful blend of dry flowers, aged linens, and the faint breath of long-faded perfumes.

This is so pretty.

In the bottle there's something almost sharp and artificial to it. Reminds me of hotels or some such. Like vanilla and urinal cakes.

Thankfully, it smells nothing like that on me. Oh no. This is soft vanilla and softer linens. A finespun scent. Reminds me of porcelain dolls and the clothes they wear. Open curtains on a warm summer day and fresh-washed sheets that dried in the sun. With vanilla. There are white florals in this too, I'm sure, cottonblossom maybe. IDK, Enraged Bunny Musk meets Dorian.

And it lasts forever. :P Been close to 12 hours now and nearly as strong as just applied.

Gentle, smokey vanilla amidst florals that I cannot name, but suffice it to say that they are elegant and gentle. Reminiscent of VS's Vanilla Lace but this has more of an only just slightly detectable floral undertone that I can't recall in Vanilla Lace. It stays the same scent throughout its stay on my skin and lasts a long time. Big bottle contender, I think.

Warm old vanilla. A little musky, a little sweet, but definatly warm. Too warm for me. But, lovely though.

EDIT: Okay, so the BF loves this. And it's grown on me. And it's lovely. And ... yeah. Try it, it's lovely.

Edited by Becca

Imp: A soft, gentle sweet scent. Very pretty and seems very purple-blue to my senses.

Wet: Oh no. Antique Lace has a sense of humour and is like, "OH HAI! I IZ MAKING U SMELL LIKE PLASTIC!"

Dry: That disappears quickly leaving a soft vanilla-linen with a gorgeous spray of flowers. It's really soft and delicate and lives up to the name. I feel very feminine and girly when I wear this. It's really quite lovely and is one of the most evocative BPALs I've had the pleasure to try. It's womanly without being sexual and just really smells like an elegant and classic woman. I could easily see myself handing this off to my mother or grandmother and not blushing at the name or scent (rare, for me).

Throw: A few inches from the skin.

Overall: I've got a bottle on the way. This is absolutely gorgeous and feminine and the type of scent that feels at home on my skin. It's just a comfortable, indulgent, gorgeous scent. I understand why it's so popular.

When I got this as an imp back in December, I did not like it. It was too sharp for me, and I could hardly smell the vanilla. Well, I tried it again, and what a difference six months make! I would describe this scent as simply beautiful. There is a musky sweetness to it along with a subtle hint of floral that is not overbearing at all. The smell is almost foody to me, but the floral says "wait a minute, don't eat me". The vanilla is perfectly blended in, and I will be getting a big bottle soon.

I was really surprised by the sugary sweetness going on here upon first sniff. This goes to a sweet vanilla on me, with a few whiffs of plastic now and then. And every few sniffs I get a teeny bit of powderiness. I'm not really sure about it. I'll have to give it another try, but it just doesn't feel like "me."

Antique Lace is a pretty, sugar cookie vanilla. It reminded me immediately of a less musky Morocco. While this isn't very complex, it's one of those scents that you can't stop smelling just because it smells so nice. I don't know if I need a bottle of this, but it is very appealing. If the Trading Post made an Antique Lace soap I would be on it in a heartbeat.

4/5

Antique lace is the kind of comfort blend I slather over and over withot being tired, it's buttery after the faint and fresh washed linen in the sun, I mean, it makes the linen smell foody! The wet and dry phases are complementary and reach perfection for me. It's the brother of gentle lentil and they always walk together side by side!

In bottle: very soft, pale and creamy, lightly floral, a hint of chilly white musk. Smells like the loveliest sort of "real" perfume. It reminds me of Black Opal - another cool vanilla floral.

Wet on skin: cool and fresh white musk and soft flowers - a perfect summer scent! It's very faint, though.

Dry on skin: I think I've already used all the adjectives - pale, light, creamy, just a little floral without being in the least sharp - the softest, coolest, gentlest breath of a perfume. Colour-wise, it's palest dusky pink. If you love The Body Shop White Musk (as I do) you have to try this one! Bottle.

2nd wearing: I've been wearing this all day and it's gorgeous! So light and soft and sweet! It's a lot like Morocco, only cooler and cleaner and more feminine - I tried them side by side for comparison purposes. (I don't get spice from Morocco - if you do, you might not agree with me!)

When I first put this on it’s such a wonderful sweet vanilla with a very faint touch of flowers in the background. As it dries it starts to smell like linens and vanilla, there is some floral here, but they are very deeply hidden

Honestly this doesn’t change much on me, except to get a little lighter. My husband can’t stop complementing me though, saying that this is a very nice womanly scent. I might just have to pick up a nice big bottle of this

This smells exactly like warm clean skin to me. I absolutely adore this scent.

Sadly it doesn't last as long for me as I might like, I find it works better for me as a bottom note for layering

I can't believe it has taken me so long to review my "signature" scent! :D Vanilla and aged flowers! Delicate, Breathtaking, slightly sweet with just a little bit of powder. My all time favorite from the lab!And I still get a lot of compliments on it! :P I love it and will always love it! :D This will be my scent to always hoard! :D

Dark Alice

Antique Lace is a pristine, arid Vanilla on me. There is no suggestion that this Vanilla is associated with any sort of baked goods, heady spices, or anything other than perhaps *clean* (which would be the whisper of florals that never rise enough to even identify). I will always have a bottle of this :P

There is no change from application to drydown, except that it becomes gradually more crisp before it crescendos, and then fades into a crystalline skin scent. This is probably a popular enabling tool. Gorgeous.

Average wearlength and great throw.

O. M. G. I love this scent. It has just shot to the top of my favorites.

Antiique Lace is warm vanilla with musk and spices. It is THE most beautiful fragrance I have tried in my entire life. I am so enamored that I will be getting a vat of this one.

Thanks thanks thanks to Lycanthrope for the gift of the imp.

Edited by voodoocatwoman

O my....this is gorgeous! A lovely soft dusty vanilla with a hint of florals and linnen. Wonderful! Definitely big bottle worthy :P

Wow. Antique Lace is lovely. I'm really enjoying this one.

Sweet but not cloying.

Clean but not soapy.

Dry but not powdery.

Gentle but not too faint.

This is laundry drying out on the clothesline on a fresh spring day. Soft, breezy and warm. This is how i WISH my laundry smelled. This is the velveteen rabbit stuffed with marshmallows!

I'm not big on florals, but this is fantastic. I hope my fiancé will like this one.

ETA: He does, and i can see myself wearing this one to work a lot, since it's not overpowering and won't offend anyone.

4.5/5

Edited by AthenaRose

Well this was another that didn't turn out like I expected. In the bottle it's a light floral with a bit of musk. Wet it turns into vanilla. When it's dry there is still the vanilla, but it has a note that reminds me of air dried sheets. Very pretty.

based on the description, this does not seem at ALL like anything i would like. i like dark, resinous scents, smokey and mysterious. antique lace is none of those things. it is soft, sweet and creamy. it is an off white kind of scent, a creamy vanilla. it's super sweet and innocent and not too floral at all (this from an avowed floral hater). a big bottle for sure.

i am actually astonished how well this works on me. i have edited to say that when i woke up this morning i could STILL smell antique lace- a sweet, musky, not-at-all powdery scent, after 10+ hours. this stuff has some freaking amazing staying power- a huge plus for me as most of my bpal fades within a couple of hours (and the ones that don't are usually not my favorites :P).

ETA:

This is the velveteen rabbit stuffed with marshmallows!

perfect description! makes me love it even more. :D

Edited by porcelina

from the description, this is one i wouldn't have picked because it sounds like it would be too faint and light for me, lighter scents tend to be devoured by my insatiable body chemistry. but then i got a frimp with one of my ebay orders, and i figured i'd try it.

boy i'm glad i did! this scent is gorgeous! it's much stronger than i expected it to be, and *very* long lasting - on my first try i could smell it hours later, and even the next day the faint echo of it remained on my skin.

my first impression in the imp was one of sweetness....sweetly sugary florals. this is not cloying on me than the sugar in Hope. the first time i applied it i got sweet florals that started heavy and then tapered down to a steady but not overpowering throw.

. i applied it today (a different time in my cycle) and am getting more of a heavy vanilla with something else underneath...musk? floral? can't quite tell, but i like the way it changes with my chemistry.

after a bit the vanilla scent settles down and the florals are making their appearance again. i don't get any linen or dusty smells myself. this is more in the line of vintage white fabric (petticoats and corset covers? a wedding dress? i get the distinct impression that they are an age-faded white) lovingly stored in a hope chest along with some scented hankies, faded bouquets, and perhaps a slightly leaky bottle of a once favorite perfume, so everything takes on a little of the scent of each. very lovely, and sure to be a big bottle purchase soon.

Edited by butcherbaby

Vanilla. Musk. Clean linen.

This was a frimp from a lovely forumnite and so far I like better than the decants I actually bought! Despite hearing so many people rave about this one, I was worried the "clean linen" would turn into "nasty soap". But it doesn't.

The throw is entirely vanilla and musk, the linene sticks close to my skin.

Very lovely. This is going onto the GC Bottle list. It would make a wonderful linen spray (for those of you whose partners allow you to spray the linens - mine protests!).

I can't find the right words to describe this scent, but when I wear it I feel warm and cosy. It feels like being snuggled in blankets fresh from the dryer. I love it.

In the imp: It smells sour to me.

Wet: Vanilla and it's also like one of those powdery fresh air freshners without the chemical smell to it.

Dry: A little flowery, but it reminds me of vanilla-scented baby powder to be honest.

Overall: It's all right, but it's probably something I wouldn't get a big bottle of.

Yay to the lab for frimping this one!

Another one I would not have ordered on my own. Antique Lace is a very clean soft and sweet vanilla with just a hint of floral. I prefer it somewhat aged so that the vanilla smooths out a bit. :P

For me, this is a very non-foody vanilla. It's a calm, cool vanilla with a faint hint of clean clothes. This isn't a sexy perfume to me, it's more a relaxing-on-a-rainy-Sunday scent. It didn't morph much for me from bottle to skin, and it doesn't have much throw on me. I can smell it when I hold my wrist near my nose, but that's about it. It's like it's for me only.

Overall, it's nice but not something I'd reach for very often because vanilla isn't really my thing. I like it though.