Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Antique Lace

Nostalgia encapsulated. A soft, wistful blend of dry flowers, aged linens, and the faint breath of long-faded perfumes.

I received this imp in a swap with a lovely Forumite :P

In the vial: wow, this reminds me of Tahitian vanilla, which is a slightly floral type of vanilla.

Wet: Tahitian vanilla with *something* grounding it from becoming too sweet. It is girly, rather than the old lady scent I had feared.

Dry: This is really delightful! I don't usually care for "girly" scents, but this is wonderful. Must order a big bottle!

My initial impression of this was vanilla-scented baby powder. Sweet, nice and innocent, and a little one-dimensional.

After an hour or so it developed into something a bit more complex and interesting with more depth, but remained too light and sweet for me.

I actually like the scent . . . just not for wearing. However, I'd highly recommend it for someone who wants a light, comforting, slightly girlie scent that isn't heavy on the florals.

After several hours, I'm thinking this might be tonka rather than vanilla. Tonka lasts and lasts on me this way.

Edited by KateW

Very pretty and light. I like it, but as with most vanilla, this quickly turns plastic on my skin. Will pass this on to someone who can enjoy it.

:P I'm in love! Antique lace is perhaps my favourite bpal right now.. This is so lovely and girly. Vanilla in antique lace is perfect creamy vanilla for me. On me it's a bit like candy cotton and I really like it that way! And antique lace lasts on hours on me, and it is so perfect!

5ml of this goes to my next order! :D

This is an amazing scent on me- warm and comforting while still sophisticated. It's definitely a vanilla scent, but it also includes a linen note. To me, it really smells like lace, while still being a warm vanilla. It reminds me somewhat of the scent of Lush's American Cream. I really, really enjoy this oil. It's a grown-up vanilla. Very nice.

This reminds me of my grandma- it smells like something she would have picked for me, and she was generally right about such things. :P It's delicate, sweet, and cozy but also a bit sophisticated - it reminds me of a nightgown that's been worn and washed enough to get really soft, but is still pretty. I don't really smell the florals, but I can tell that if they weren't there, I'd miss them.

Antique Lace is the most gorgeous vanilla scent I have ever encountered! It lasts for hours as a creamy, sweet, marshmallowy vanilla perfume. After a few hours it smells like a fresh, lineny type smell with undercurrents of sweetness. LOVE IT SO MUCH! (Plus, I have recieved tons of compliments on it, from men and women alike, so it works out for everyone!)

I really do like this scent a lot, which is surprising to me because normally I don't care for floral scents. And I don't get the creamy vanilla scent others seem to get from this one - I get soft, sweet, girly, powdery, light florals. A clean scent, that an older woman might wear, but that I don't mind wearing myself.

I received an imp of this from a lot on Ebay, and have already swapped with a fellow Lushie to get a bottle. I can see myself wearing this regularly, and it's not even a foody scent (which is normally all I care about).

Therefore it must be good :P

First Impressions in the Vial:

Very Vanilla and very warm and sugary. I was instantly reminded of food and baking cookies.

Wet on the skin:

Very much the same as in the vial, although I did get a whiff of something almost floral-y

Upon drydown:

Still Vanilla, but a different vanilla. It's still very much sweet, but it seems...matured in a sense. I can't really pick up on the floral's, but perhaps those are what is adding the depth to the scent.

I smell very warm and inviting with this on. Although I'm not a vanilla person (and my mother absolutely hates it) I like this a lot. I think it would work better if I were in a sweeter mood than I am in today though, because my actions and countenance are not matching with how I smell right now :P .

I'm not sure if I'll be buying a full bottle though. I have lots of imp's to try (Antique lace was my first ever BPAL). I'll have to revisit this scent later with some more BPAL experiance under my belt.

When wet and for the first hour or 2 wearing this the scent stays nearly the same on me: vanilla with dryer sheets. That might sound like a bad thing but I love the smell of dryer sheets and the smell of vanilla. I assume any florals in this blend fall into the "dryer sheet" smell. After a couple hours with this on the dryer sheet smell fades quite a bit and then it smells nearly identical to a delicate vanilla cookie. I love love love this oil and I've been wearing it twice as much as my other imps; I'm going to need a bottle before long.

This scent is GORGEOUS, and I do believe I am in love. My first impression was of vanilla, but a very lush, warm, soft, creamy vanilla that makes me think of the thickest, most luxurious vanilla ice cream I've ever had. This scent definitely gives off an aura of nostalgia; I can imagine a woman wearing this as she's sitting in a pool of clear, dappled sunshine streaming through the blinds of an old, dusty attic, persuing faded, tied up love letters and bits of her grandmother's antique lace doilies and garments. It's a scent that seems both happy and sad, in several ways.

Edited by ForeverLastcXs

Antique Lace is not how I expected it to smell. I had imagined it as a fresh, clean, slightly floral and almost dreamy scent. Instead I'm getting a very sweet, heavy almost sickly vanilla.

The vanilla appears to be intensifying as it drys. It's becoming very creamy and smooth but still has a sharp edge. It has similarities to Alice except sweeter and without the spiciness.

I'm unfortunately not getting much musk, florals or powder. It's just ALL vanilla.

It's quite pretty but isn't for me. If you love sweet vanilla then this scent is for you.

this is a haunting scent...very light and feminine. i was almost turned off by the dry, powdery notes but on reflection, that's exactly what gives antique lace it's charm. this has dried to something very classic, and beautiful. nice.

i got this as an “extra” in a swap. i had been in no hurry to try it, and now i feel pretty silly about that! it’s one of those lovely surprises that makes me think i better try every single scent, regardless of what i think of the description, because you just never know. i love it. soft creamy vanilla and powdery amber, over white linen, with just a touch of dried flowers. sweet, clean, feminine, amazing.

Vial: Wow, vanilla! Slight floral undertone but mostly vanilla.

On: This is sweet vanilla, much like the others it turns a bit plasticy. Not as much as other blends, but that's fine.

Overall: I can definately see people loving this one. Don't know if I'll keep it around but I do like it quite a bit for the moment. Surprisingly strong.

Edited by PixieSkull

In the bottle: Slightly musty, powdery vanilla from linens. There's also something fresh, it nearly makes me think of vanilla with a hint of mint - like the flavour of Tic Tacs when you first put them on your tongue.

Wet: Lovely sweetness, clearly from something floral, white florals. There's vanilla here, yes, and the unmistakeable scent of linens that have been folded and starched.

Drydown: It's hard to describe. There's perfume in here, but something that's indistinct. Also, the scent of detergent, possibly the scent of Castille soap, but it's not soapy. There's something very vanilla here, but the closest I come to is imagining all these scents on clean linens that you're sniffing.

Overall: The ultimate comfort scent in the form of clean sheets. This reminds me of a scent that I've smelled before, a delicious egg and cognac shampoo I used to use - there's the same foodiness and sharpness. It's fresh and breezy and at the same time warm and comforting. A very beautiful blend, I understand very well why it's so popular. It's not very "me" as a perfume, but it's a definite winner for a room scent or to dot on my pillowcase when I need a hug.

Oh my God, I love this so much, but it's an elusive scent, and hard to pin down. I get vanilla, definitely, and a *nice* type of powder from the florals and linen, but mostly it just envelopes me in a cloud of sweet soft goodness. This is a definite bottle, since I've gone through my imp in just two days. I like to slather this one, not because it has no throw, since the throw and staying power are actually phenomenal for such a soft scent, but because I can't see this offending anyone if they happen to catch a whiff (or several large whiffs) of this scent. It's really vying for a top 5 spot here. :P

Edited by little_galaxie

Why did I wait so long to try this? Creamy vanilla and clean, sunny linen. There is some floral component, but it doesn't dominate on me. This is a very straight-forward blend, but, hey, we can't be complex every day. I wore this to school one day and one of my students stopped dead in her tracks, inhaled deeply, and exclaimed, "Teacher, you smell soooo good!" I am using up my imp at a dangerous rate and will be getting a 5ml very soon.

I got this as a frimp, and I was so excited because it was on my Must Try list. I ended up being slightly disappointed.

It smelled very yummy in the vial... vanilla. Vanilla. Vanilla. I couldn't wait to try it on and catch whiffs of the dried flowers and linens.

Er... it never happened. I waited steadily, and I've tried it twice... but it was nothing but vanilla, all the time (and vanilla isn't actually listed as a note). It's not that I don't like vanilla, I do. It just reminds me of being 12 again and being obsessed with all things Vanilla Bean by Bath & Body Works. :P It is a sophisticated vanilla, but just slightly boring. Meep! Sorry guys!

771445886_z7b5m-Ti.jpg

I wanted so much to like this scent, especially after all the raves. I should have known better, because vanilla just doesn't do well for me unless it's so faint as to be almost imperceptible. Which Antique Lace most definitely is not. That's all I could smell, vanilla. No linen, no tea, no faint floral reminiscence. Just vanilla. And not even good vanilla...the cheap dollar store kind.

Plus, it didn't help at all that it arrived in a still-damp package reeking of Antique Lace, which got on my clothes, my tablecloth, and me. It was just too much. And it gave me a headache.

All of the above tended to prejudice me against this scent. So this will not be one of my 'must-hoard' scents by any stretch. And I'll probably trade away whatever's left in the leaky bottle.

Final impression: Just. Too. Much. Vanilla.

Edited by stellans

Hmmm...I can't quite decide what I think of this one. I get a lot of new doll scent with this one but...I kind of like new dolls. The boys love this one on me...but I'm not sure if I love it too.

Sorry that's not too helpful but this is really a confusing scent for me.

*is shocked* I thought I'd reviewed this long ago!

Well. I received Antique Lace from the lovely maribouquet... good thing I do enjoy it, eh?

This is a lovely, rich vanilla to my nose, although when I wear it, the closer I get to my skin the more I can pick out the "linen" note. It lasts quite a while, and stays true to its vanilla-ness for the duration. Reminds me quite a bit of Victoria's Secret's Vanilla Lace lotion that my mom is fond of.

I tend to use Antique Lace for layering, most often with Vixen... they make a loverly pair. :P

I still haven't made up my mind about this one. I got it in a swap, and I definitely like it better than what I swapped for it, but this one is making me think really hard about it.

In Bottle: A little sweet, a lot of floral. I'm smelling the vanilla, but it's hiding behind the aged flowers.

Wet: very sweet, but not sickeningly so the way Sugar Skull was to me. A little bit floral, and WOW baby powder. If this powder smell doesn't go away, I'm going to be sad!

Dry: ahhhhh MUCH better. The powder scent fades pretty quickly. The vanilla is fairly creamy, which is nice, and once it's dry it's the only thing left. Vanilla is my staple scent, so I of course like this, but it pretty much smells like Tahitian Vanilla or Vanilla Fields or Vanilla Lace or any of those other drug store/Victoria Secret/what-have-you blends. I like it a lot, but I don't see much of a point in buying BPAL if it's going to smell like everything else, you know?

I think I'll try layering this and see what happens, maybe I'll change my mind.

This smells like it was described to me -- a grown-up, slightly floral vanilla. However, that's /all/ it is -- a grown-up, slightly floral vanilla. I like the scent of it, but it's slightly too warm and sweet for me. Also, my skin amps vanilla like crazy.

*I'm picky about vanilla scents, because vanilla so often smells synthetic or plasticcy or cloying to my nose. This is a true, simple beautiful vanilla, that deepens into lightly floral complexity as time goes on. I like it, it's just not for me.