Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
GoldenRubee

Death Shall Come in with Thee

Opium poppy, smoke, and tar with green cognac, brittle white vanilla pod, white sandalwood, and clove bud.

If I would have smelled this at WC I may not have tried it at all, the notes smell raw in the bottle. But once I tried it on and let it rest for a half hour it really started to warm to my skin and it really made a difference. The smokey sandalwood is the first note that comes to me tinged with vanilla. I really am enjoying this since I like a little vanilla but not overpowering vanilla. This is perfect so far. Next up is a fleeting whiff of the clove, just enough to let you know that it is there but not enough to take over everything. I can also detect a sweet, light fruity scent, not much, but it's there and I believe that it is from the green cognac. Overall, a nice, lightly sweet, woody scent, that will age well and be appropriate for day time or night time wear.

In bottle: A touch more medicinal than expected. Opium dominant supported by cognac and a very soft smoke note. (Often smoke notes are heavy and overwhelming whereas this gives a sensation of a light haze. If you don’t like the standard smoke note, this might still be worth trying.) Vanilla sweetens it slightly. The sandalwood is a soft addition of woody incense, deepening the opium. The hint of clove gives the vanilla a little bite. This is beautifully composed thing, made of incense and smoke, ethereal and heady. Wet: Much as in the bottle in balance. The opium stays dominant. The support elements are all a little more noticeable as individuals, but stay gentle and play beautifully with the opium and each other. If you like opium scents, this is a beautiful scent poem built around that. Dry: The sandalwood comes into it’s own with wear. The clove is still soft, but it stays. The result is a heady, smoky, sexy version of sandalwood, as the lingering remnants of the other elements enrich the sandalwood, like a memory haunting a room. Lovely all the way through it’s changes.

A long time ago, when I was very young, I had a bottle of YSL's Opium, and wore it religiously, though it was probably too mature for my tender years. I didn't care. I loved it.

I totally second everything from the first two reviews, in my less than articulate way. This is opium, grounded by sandalwood, sweetened by vanilla, softened by smoke. It's pure beauty in every stage.

This is better, far better, than any expensive commercial perfume, and I definitely need a bottle of it.

ETA: a review below me compared this to Black Lace. I agree. And if I layer Black Lace with Tattered Lace, I get something quite similar to Death Shall Come In With Thee.

Edited by Circaea

Something I chose to get a decant of simply because I wanted to see how it smelled, not because I thought it would work on my skin.

I agree, it's very raw in the decant/bottle, which I expected, in large part due to the green cognac and brittle vanilla pod notes, I'm sure.

On... this...is very, very sexy. Whaaa? It's not traditionally sexy to me, but the hint of vanilla in addition to the heavy, heavy smokiness makes it so. Very, very unique, something to wear at night, and maybe when it's cooler out.

AHA! I know what this reminds me of. The holy smoke/incense that is sometimes used in churches (which I love the smell of). Like that, but sexy. :lol: So wrong but so right! It's that and a hint of actual woodsmoke, sweetened by vanilla and a hint of poppy as it develops...

So unique! Now I just need to figure out when I could wear this. :lol: Can't stop sniffing it because it's so different.

Edited by MiasmaResonance

in the imp and wet this is pure beauty. a classic opium perfume that smells like it came from behind the counter of an upscale department store only bpal oil style all the way.

on me it fades extremely quickly. because I love it, I'm just reapplying more and more. the result of this buildup throughout the day is a hint of sandalwood with clove in the background. either my skin eats the other notes or my nose just adjusts to them. were it not for this chemistry strangeness, this would be a top three luper. the wet stage is gorgeous.

In the imp: Hmmm........ sweet, floral, and smoky. I'm intrigued.

Wet on skin: Same as before, but the cognac is coming out a bit more now.

Dried down: Anise and clove, with that smoky cognac in the background, sort of sweet and spicy...

Throw: Very faint, but what's there is gorgeous.

Verdict: ***** I was not expecting to really like this too much, but so far, this might be the runaway hit of the lupers for me. Yes, I loved some others, too, but this one is so different!

When I first got this it was all opium poppy but now the vanilla is at the front.

On my skin wet: Fluffy vanilla with opium poppy and a little of the cognac lingering in the background.

On my skin dry: It's softer than I had imagined it to be probably due to that gorgeous vanilla note. The clove bud comes out when it's dry for a while, adding a nice warmth. This scent sticks close to the skin.

I'm intrigued.

Well then.

You smell quite a bit like Gun Moll, minus the gunpowder. On me it's opium, smoke, tar and hints of cognac, clove and vanilla that give it a warmness.

So yes, sophisticated, deadly, and seductive.

Let's just say that Death smells amazing. ;)

When first applied, Death Shall Come In With Thee is a wonderfully bitter and smoky opium which is tempered by a gently sweet vanilla. As it dries, the bitterness from the opium/tar fades and the white sandalwood and clove start to emerge (still sweetened by the vanilla). The clove never takes over, in fact, as it dries further, all of the notes come together seamlessly, united, nothing standing out too much. This is a perfectly balanced spiced wood/resin scent. It's almost like a darker version of Haloes to my nose, probably because of the white sandalwood/vanilla combo.

I wasn't expecting to like this one as much as I do, I'm definitely adding this to my bottle purchase list. I don't have the best history with opium poppy but in this scent, it's absolutely gorgeous. If you like Haloes or Hellhound on my Trail I suggest you try this one. I suspect it was also age beautifully.

A winner! :wub2:

Reminds me very much of black lace, if the linen note were removed. Side by side the black lace smells like it has tea/linen, but I find the undertone very similar.

Death... Smells warm and dark, vanilla bolstered by cognac and clove. It has a smooth powderiness later, but it fades so fast, the opium I think, but I'm a bit disappointed. I love the scent but it dies too fast

ITI: Wow, that's gorgeous - it's almost effervescent, but sweet, slightly fruity, bathed in cognac and clove.

Wet: It invites you to sniff closer. It wraps you up like a glittering serpent. It envelopes you like a leather-appointed grand library bathed in amber light, reflecting off of the cognac's reflection in the glass.

Dry: It's clove, green cognac, opium, delightful sandalwood, and gorgeous vanilla still. It's an exquisite scent and it's going on my bottle wishlist immediately.

In the imp: This is another one of Beth's exquisite creations where the notes blend together to start with, swirling about the opium poppy.

Wet: Opium poppy w/ hints of the other notes, esp. the smoke.

The dry-down: Not a morpher. A skin scent. The opium poppy is the strongest note, yet it is held in check by all the other notes. I like it, but not sure of a bottle.

Opium and smoke, dark and lovely. Reminds me of Night Hag, which I love, although they only note they share is smoke. I get a flash of sweet vanilla, then it's gone. Not finding the clove or cognac.

Oh no, it's fading so fast...much too short-lived, this one.

Sweet, flowery, musky with a bit of incense. Although it's sweet, it's not overpowering, and it smells a bit like there's some red musk. This reminds me a bit of Voodoo Queen.

wow. very smoky and heady, the cognac is strong! So is sandalwood! Opium too

really this is one for cognac note lovers

this blend has too much of a bright bite for me and my sinuses

this starts off with smoky green cognac, and maybe a hint of white sandalwood...i always have trouble placing white sandalwood for some reason :think: after a few minutes on my skin, the smoke is subtler and it's more like i'm getting green cognac and vanilla. it smells wet, yet smoky- an interesting combination. i don't seem to get much clove, so it must be hanging out, deep in the background. this scent is quite moody, green and smoky. i like it.

Wet: Opium, which is immediately going soapy on me. Hoping it will recover as it warms on my skin.

Dry: All the notes in this are lovely - the cognac and vanilla especially, with warm hints of sandalwood. But unfortunately the opium in this is still lending a weird soapy edge. It's dissipating, but I think by the time it burns off completely, the scent will be gone entirely as well, it's not lasting long on me. Not for me, I guess. Love the name though! And I can see this being amazing on someone with skin that doesn't turn opium to soap.

This was quite strong in the bottle. Very much sandalwood. On me, my first thought was that this would be a good masculine blend. Sandalwood with an edge of cloves. Good throw when freshly applied and for a while after. As it's beginning to dry the vanilla becomes more prominent with a sweetness that i attribute to the opium. Definitely still more on the masculine side imo, but also fairly unisex. The cloves fade first and this becomes sweet vanilla sandalwood for several hours on me.