Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
stellamaris

The Silver Stream

Bittersweet: the scent of forgetfulness, peace, and oblivion. Like asphodel petals on moonlit water.

I hate to be the first review of this, but this is just Blergh for me. What ever asphodel is keep it away from me and my home. It is super strong and nasty. It reminds me of a giant white flower super anti hero with a really bad weight to lycra ratio who pounces out at me from the shadows and beats me with a ginormous white plastic flower. yeeech.

I'm going to have to echo the above "yech" - my first thought was that there had to be jasmine in this. It's waaay stinky, overpowering, and gave me a mild headache. :( A shame, since the description was so lovely!

Wow, the other reviews sure are encouraging. :P Let's see how it works with my skin chem.

In the imp: White, somewhat powdery florals. Smells like a mix of calla lily and jasmine to me. I actually quite like lilies and jasmine's ok, so this is promising.

Wet: Oh, wow. The powder present in the imp disappears completely. This is a lovely, sweet floral scent, not overwhelming or gross at all. I think it's all asphodel on me because I'm not detecting lily or jasmine anymore. It's very smooth and soft but it's not a clinging skin scent, it does have a bit of a throw. If there are aquatics in here they're either very light or not present.

Drydown: Pretty much the same as the wet, only sweeter. Bittersweet and beautiful.

Dry: I can detect a hint of aquatics now. Asphodel petals on moonlit water, indeed. Absolutely gorgeous. This is one of the loveliest floral blends I've ever worn. :heart:

Further on: There's a vegetal greenness emerging that's making me think of Karme, and I loooove Karme so I'm totally cool with it.

I usually don't get bottles of floral blends because I have so many various floral imps but this? This I might need a bottle of.

If white florals work with your skin chem, definitely give it a shot!

Ah, this is nice. Definitely an aquatic, not too salty. Clean, fresh, relaxing. Reads as a pale, shimmering light blue to me; it definitely could be moonlight on water.

Wet, it smells more strongly of white flowers - jasmine, lily and gardenia?. As it dries, it becomes more of a fresh-water aquatic scent. I equate the 'forgetfulness, peace, and oblivion' to the impression of funeral flowers from the floral blend. Pretty; a little goes a long way. I'm glad I have the decant.

This is definitely an aquatic floral. I don't really know how to describe it, but it's strong. I don't think that it's terrible, but it's not really me.

Unfortunately, I put this on, and my boyfriend said that it smelled like flowery poop. He elaborated on that and said that it smelled like somebody tried to cover up some poop with a bunch of flowers. :huh?:

I don't get the 'flowery poop' association. There is a bit of a soapy quality to the floral. It is slightly sweet, and I can detect some greenery in this as well.

I usually like florals, but I can't say that I really like this one. As I said before, it's not terrible, it's just... not really my kind of scent.

Edited by dementia_divine

Finally getting to try my decants!

Wet: I get mostly the white florals, with a lily-like flower in the forefront. It's a strong scent, yet it's not quite as sharp as lily sometimes is. I read online that asphodel was originally classified as a part of the lily family, so the similiar scent makes sense. Throw is pretty noticeable, but not headachey.

Dry down: A clean aquatic comes through. It's not salty or very perfumey/cologney; I agree with RiverPoet that it's more of a "fresh-water aquatic." Throw is starting to lessen.

Dry: Similar as before, but close to the skin now.

Hours later: A powdery floral scent remains on the skin.

I am a fan of white florals, so I like this. However, while it is pretty, I'm not sure if this is a standout for me. It's a slightly different white floral, but perhaps not quite different enough. I will have to see if I reach for the imp in the future.

Lovely freshness aquatic with greenery. Dries rather soapy though. Too bad, the wet phase was quite lovely.

White floral aquatic. Very clean.

There's something very clear, very strong, and very melancholic about this. But in a good way. This like a visit to the grave site of a beloved one, after enough time has passed that there isn't overwhelming grief, but a dull throb of pain, as you squint your eyes at the bright sunshine and your head is full of happy memories.

It's pensive without being depressive.

There are components in this that remind me to Sea of Glass.

got this as a frimp. holy aquatic florals! this is STRONG and sweet and aquatic. in other words, everything i dislike in a perfume. i am amping this so much and it is just not me at all.

Wow, I can't believe so many people aren't liking this one. I guess my skin chemistry saved the day?

I mean, I loathe white florals, but the flower component here is very light to me.

Mostly I get a slightly sweet, fresh, crystalline water. It reminds me of Sea of Glass, but honestly SoG got far more soapy/flowery on me than this.

The description from the Lab is very apt; it's peaceful but somehow a bit melancholy.

Makes me think of unicorns and sparkles in the moonlight and other such dainty, pretty things.

Quite the delicate scent, and inoffensive to me, the High Queen of Floral Hating. Not my style, but certainly not something I'd recoil from on someone else.

This reminds me of the now discontinued blend, Asphodel, which I really hated. It was intensely soapy and powdery on me with a sharp, musky/perfumey, white floral edge that gave me a horrible headache. The Silver Stream is much the same, but with more of an aquatic, watery, salty edge to it.

Very clean, sugary sweet floral. I wasn't sure what Asphodel smelled like, but I am finding it really sweet and similar to lotus in that it reminds me a bit of bubble gum too. Not a fan of aquatics, but this one is actually not terrible. The sweetness keeps it from going really soapy on me. It's not really my kind of scent, but there is something beautiful and melancholy about it. If you like aquatic floral combos I would urge you to give this a try. It's sweet and feminine and a touch sad.

Asphodel is in the lily family, so I'm not surprised that the primary note on my skin is a soft white lily. I concur with others who mentioned jasmine, specifically it rather reminds me of night blooming and winter jasmine, just softly in the background, supporting the lily.

The floral floats in a gently flowing freshwater stream. The water seems almost still and quiet, but there's definitely more a moving water than a still water smell. The flowers grow right on the banks and the petals fall in and drift slowly down stream.

There's definitely a coolness and gentleness to this scent that reminds me of a cool clear night in early spring where everything is softly lit by the full moon.

This plays nicely with my skin chemistry and is a very me sort of scent, very glad I picked up a bottle.