Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lycanthrope

Pink Moon 2012

The name of this moon refers to the color of wild ground phlox, a primary component of this Lunacy Blend, which is one of the most widespread floral signposts of springtime in North America. This Lunar blend is soft with phlox, tulip, daffodil, pink columbine, delphinium, pink carnation, peony, and muscari, dusted with pink sugar and honey, bourbon vanilla, a hint of white chocolate, and a touch of the first strawberries of the season.

Pink Moon is very different from prior incarnations while still being very 'pink.'

From the bottle, it smells like wet strawberry flesh and a strong hint of cocoa butter. On the skin, it starts off as a summery blast of strawberry and white chocolate, with a floral that may be stemmier/greener than most. There is carnation that is lending a ruffly floral note, but it's definitely not predominantly a carnation blend like some of the prior Pink Moons. On the skin, the blend retains the top note of strawberry, but with an undercurrent of white chocolate. This chocolate aroma is also, like, white, as in buttery, but a cold, vanilla butter, blended with pips of strawberries and seeds. Further drydown, the florals come up but as a whisper behind the slightly foodiness of the oil.

All in all, it has aspects from many families of perfume, while not really being too predominant in any one. The end result is a very complex, sugary, and yes, pink (although it took a while to get there from 'squishy red' for me) scent.

I agree that this incarnation of Pink Moon is quite different from other versions but retains a "pinkness" to it. :D

In the bottle, all I get is the white chocolate, maybe, *maybe* a hint of carnation in the background, but it's really about the cocoa butter for sure at this point.

Wet on the skin as well as dry, the chocolate remains the dominant note, but the familiar spicy florals have a definite presence too. In the end, it came across on my skin as Pink Moon '07, with white chocolate. Which isn't bad, but I *had* been hoping that the honey and bourbon vanilla would have more of a presence, but for me they seemed to be absent. :(

Medium throw, and with a surprisingly long duration, it's possible that Pink Moon 2012 just needs some age time for those others notes to come into their own in the mix. And since I was going to say that because of it's relative lightness, to save this scent for late Spring, that just might give it the time it needs to go from a sweet week-day scent to something truly monumental.

Glad I got it, but I might swap the backup away, depending on what happens between now and June. ;)

I'm not very good at picking out notes, but Pink Moon '12 is the scent of sitting in a field of wildflowers on a white tablecloth, gentle eating ruby red strawberries dipped in fresh, sweet white chocolate. Yummy!

Pink Moon 2012 is what I was hoping Strawberry Moon 2009 would smell like. This is definitely heavy on the strawberry! Sugared strawberry, but not cloyingly sweet, and there's something creamy underneath there. The florals are a definite presence, but they just make the blend that much more complex. The carnation, especially, is helping to add some major depth to just strawberry sugar. No vanilla or white chocolate to speak of, but I'm sure they're lurking in there.

I am so happy right now, and I can't wait to see how this ages.

I am so glad that I got this one. I am not a huge floral fan, though a few in the right amount don't bother me, and this is just perfect. It's a sweet blend of spring florals, white chocolate, and a hint of strawberries. The vanilla is peeking out on the drydown on one part of my arm. I think I might need to make sure to mix this oil carefully to get the vanilla.

It is complex enough that the sweet doesn't overpower the rest, and the florals are nicely balanced and not too sharp. I put it on right out of the mailbox and it really is a perfect spring scent.

Between this and The Fairies, I'm really pleased with the spring florals.

Husband upon sniffing this said "Candy." Being a man of few words, not unusual, but this time exactly to the point. Candy. Delicious. I don't mind smelling like candy.

Love, love, love this! I almost didn't get it because of all the flowers. I'm so glad I did! I don't get flowers from this, but I know they are there because it makes the blend have a beautiful springy tone. Mostly I get a blast of white chocolate covered strawberries, followed by pure ripe strawberry on the dry down.

I am very sad because I REALLY wanted to love this. The mix of florals sounded so seductive to me, but alas in the bottle all I smelled was the chocolate. And for a long time, all I smelled was chocolate. After a while though, the chocolate faded, and then I found soft florals. Nothing remarkable to me though. I had bought two bottles, and thankfully I have already sold them both. Too much chocolate.

The reviews scared me a little bit but I love this a whole lot more than I thought I would!

To me it smells like something pastel pink would smell like....it smells like baby pink flowers with a dribble of strawberry! Very sweet and feminine....I'm already on the hunt for a second bottle of this sweet beauty!

On first sniff, I was sure I wouldn't like the 2012 incarnation of Pink Moon. I had the delightfully carnation-y 2007 version in my head and was taken aback by the totally different scent of this year's moon (not sure why, since the notes were, you know, pretty clear). But I decided to try it anyway, and am so glad I did. It IS a different scent, for sure, yet it's clearly from the same family. The chocolate is really strong--and to me, off-putting--from the bottle, but on my skin it's not nearly as identifiable as chocolate--it's just sweet and creamy. The honey and vanilla don't stand out to me individually, but I think they contribute a creamy note to the scent, too. Whereas 2007 Pink Moon was sugary, this version is rich and smooth. It strikes me as much more grown up, and I think it'll make a perfect springtime scent for daytime wear, even to work. I suspect it will take me a while to get through the bottle because the throw is surprisingly strong for so many light notes, but that's OK, because I'm really curious to see how this version changes with age. I don't feel the need to hoard it or anything, but I'm glad I bought a bottle and I think it will get plenty of love.

I'm really happy that I got this! It starts out strawberries and white chocolate, at first I thought that this was going to be all chocolate. But, it actually settled down after about 15 mins and this allowed the flowers to come through, with the slightest hint of vanilla and strawberry. :wub2:

I don't know what I was expecting...but it wasn't this. On me, Pink Moon 2012 starts out like a milky white chocolate...with a hint of strawberry and a more diaphanous hint of flowers hiding beneath. It seems to have the milk note that the original Milk Moon had. But it's much lighter and softer, a total skin scent. It lasts a long time, but everything seems to have disappeared but the milk. I think this is going to Swaps.

I'm really surprised to hear so many reviews saying the chocolate was prominent.. the main thing my nose smells is peony.. actually PEONY, with a bit of carnation behind it. Maybe a little bit of sugar and other florals behind that, but primarily peony and a bit of carnation. I cant wait to see reviews from people that I sent decants to.

I was expecting something...pinker? 2007 had a very pink edge. I was expecting sweet and floral, with a hinting of creaminess.

I open the bottle and it's WHOA, HELLO WHITE CHOCOLATE! It smells like White Chocolate and Sugared Violets, without the violet. I put it on. Um, are we sure we didn't decant out of a vat of 13? It's the 13 with the white chocolate base and lots of herbs lurking in the back, making it greener than I want. Not sure I really can deal with this, as it immediately amps up and floods my senses with herbal green chocolate, which is why I'm not always keen on 13, despite the chocolate. Fruit? Flowers? Helllloooo, where are you? It's so strongly amped it almost gives me a headache.

Okay, it's an hour later, and it's calmed down a little. I'm starting to get some floral notes. Again, I am reminded of White Chocolate and Sugared Violets, but without the distinct violet. Sweet. Floral something. Phlox? Could be. No strawberry. No carnation. I want daffodils and vanilla, but still not getting any. Still a greenish note. Something slightly dirty, could be tulip, as that's how tulips smell to me.

Two hours, and it's fudge, with a cream and sugar background, and a hint of carnation coming out, with a bit of floral. Better. Still too heavy for everyday wear. It's starting to make me slightly nauseous, like working all day in a candy shop. I was hoping it mellows out, becomes more like White Chocolate and Sugared Violets, but nope, it's just going to keep suffocating me in fudge. I really wanted to like this one, but it's just too much.

3 words: Sexy Strawberry Candy.

Straight strawberry candy would be too foody for me, but this has beautiful flowers supporting the candy top-note, bringing down the foodiness and making the whole work more complex and interesting.

Pink Moon '07 is one of my Top 3 BPALs, so I was really excited to see the return of the Pink-ness, and although this is different from "07, it's in the same family and it's definitely Pink.

I'm very happy with this one and I'm looking forward to seeing how it ages. :wub2:

Totally not what I was expecting, but that might just be me and my weird skin chemistry.

In the bottle this screams white chocolate. There's other stuff lurking in the background, primarily strawberry but the florals might be in there too, who knows.

Once it hits my skin, the predictable thing happens. My skin amps chocolate notes and then eats them. So, this quickly goes from look-at-me-i'm-WHITECHOCOLATE!!! to sugared strawberries with a touch of floral hanging out in the background.

It's actually quite lovely, since I'm not really a fan of chocolate notes anyway but a bit too simplistic for my tastes. This reminds me of a sweeter, less green, Strawberry Moon '09. I'm left wishing for more florals to complicate the blend. Very pretty, but if I'm going to wear a strawberry scent I'd rather go with Pink Lace for its more complex smokiness.

O HAI CHOCOLATE! - ok and some other stuff. Something that smells boozy. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I like the sugar notes and florals but the chocolate is killing it. I don't really want to smell like a pastry.

2012 has been a stellar year for finding BPAL blends that are right up my alley. Pink Moon is another winner!

Right out of the box, Pink Moon was very light. I've noticed it strengthening with time and it's just wonderful. If there were such a thing as pink chocolate, this is what it would smell like.

The white chocolate stands out the most with the floral notes whispering to me about spring in the background. It is feminine and sweet, fresh and evocative of the season. I adore it.

Hello. My name is White Chocolate. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Why oh WHY? I don't usually amp white chocolate--or any chocolate--but the white chocolate is overwhelming everything else in this blend, and the throw is amazing. If I get in very close and sniff, I can catch wisps of the florals, but the white chocolate is noticeable from more than arm's length away. Maybe aging will help.

Ha! I just had the opposite experience to the reviewer above - I usually hate white chocolate, and yet it's what sets this scent apart from other Pink Moons and pretty much all other pink scents for me. Somehow, the white chocolate smells more 'white' than 'chocolate' and just gives a fluffy, light, creamy quality to the scent that manages to perfectly balance out the sweetness of the phlox, carnation and other pink florals and smoothing out the candy quality so I smell pretty, pink, edible sugar cloud instead of like a sugar crack house. :wub2: I've been a fan of most of the Pink Moons since Lunacies first started, but this one is one of my absolute favorites.

Edited by GypsyRoseRed

Soooo...first review here since back in oh, maybe 2005? Not that i have been BPAL-less since then, just not active in the forums. More of a lurker, i suppose, when opportunity allowed.

I've been busy. Er.

Anyway. Pink moon. I love pink anything and the Lunacies are always divine so i had to make it one of the first purchases of Spring at BPAL.

Bottle: Very strong phlox (i believe), carnation and creamy white chocolate with an undercurrent of strawberry.

Wet: See above...it's very strong on me and doesn't morph at all for the first ten minutes or so.

Drydown: The florals recede a bit, and the white chocolate creaminess with a strong freshly sliced strawberry notes come through. As i sniff my wrists over the next couple hours (which i do incessantly - i LOVE this stuff), the sugary florals drift in and out and i'm still getting mostly phlox and carnation. At about half an hour into it, the vanilla really comes on strong, swirling around a strong strawberry base. This one floats back and forth between super-creamy and fruity and softly floral.

I really love it. Damn it.

On my skin, Pink Moon 2012 starts out as chocolate with floral undertones. Then it dries down to a just ripened strawberry with a hint of spice (maybe carnation?).

Pink Moon 2007 was a little too spicy for me and Pink Moon 2005 is one of my sentimental favorites. So while the 2005 version is still tops to me, Pink Moon 2012 is a close 2nd.

In the imp: strawberry and chocolate powder?

On wet: Oh no, kind of sickening =/ Very wet, pollen-y florals. A bit of strong sweetness from the chocolate, honey and strawberry, coating the floral bouquet. Strong sweet sap and green grass of the kind that makes me feel sick.

Drydown (beginning stage): Thank goodness, the sweet sickly florals are starting to be anchored by the creamy, more neutral carnation. Still really floral and cloying.

Drydown (end stage): I’m glad that I’m smelling more carnation, against a creamy white chocolate background, but I don’t think this blend is for me. I think I might hate peony? Water Dragon made me feel sick too. And the lab’s strawberry note is often too cloying on me. Maybe I should try to locate a tester of Zarita the Doll Girl instead.

I was hoping for something like White Chocolate & Strawberry (my all time favorite bpal blend) with a bit of dry, spicy carnation. I don't get any strawberry from this, though, and I can't really pick out the white chocolate either. Pink Moon 2012 actually reminds me a lot of High-Strung Daisies, but without the clean/breezy edge that Daisies has. It's sort of like pink bubblegum mixed with dry, potpourri-esque carnation and perfumey florals. The drydown is like dry floral and sugar with a touch of fluffy shaving cream soap, less pink.

I prefer White Chocolate & Strawberry for, well, white chocolate and strawberry, and I prefer Hod and the previous Pink Moon for carnation scents... this is just oddly reminiscent of cheap, dried flower potpourri on my skin. Something just artificial and slightly off about it on my skin.