Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zagadka

Honey Pumpkin Stout Bath Oil

HONEY PUMPKIN STOUT
A smoky honey oatmeal stout with pumpkin mash.

YUM. YUM. YUM.

BO are one of my favorite indulgences from BPTP :wub2:

I wasn't sure what I thought this was going to smell like- pretty much like sweet beer. I have a thing for honey, so that was the main reason I bought it!

First whiff reveals a rich, buttery scent- almost like a real butter scotch candy. It reminds me a bit of Glowing Vulva's cream note, which also reminds me of butter scotch.

Then I can pick out the pumpkin, which is really rich and almost like a pumpkin square with cream cheese frosting without going totally into foodie territory. Its smells like the batter- wet, heavy, thick and slightly earthy. Its really gorgeous!

The stout comes in last and smells like a steaming bowl of oatmeal with a hint of brown sugar- its sweet but not candy sweet. My dad makes homemade beer and it reminds me of a stylized version of malt and mash boiling on the stove.

Over all, I'd say this is a total hit for people who like warm, comforting fall scents but don't want to smell like spices or a candle shop. This has everything I love about fall scents without being too foodie, spicy, or sweet. Its absolutely heavenly and delish!

EDIT: it did something unexpected in the bath yesterday. Everything that I described above went out the window. It started out as bright red fruit- it reminded me of those heart shaped cherry suckers with the white "ink"(?) you get for valentine's day. Then I got hit with a blast of cinnamon and...all spice? It turned into a candle store!

Not sure how I feel about it any more. I have to test it out again and see what happens.

This smells quite different when used straight on my skin and when used in the bath. I get the same bright fruitiness in the bath, and I can also picture those red valentine lollipops, (which I used to love!) Underneath the fruit is a slightly smokey, sweet grain scent that doesn't really smell boozy to me. It's more the scent of the ingredients that go into oatmeal stout. That scent is the one that stays on my skin, the fruit gets left behind in the bath. I actually like the bath smell a lot more than the scent of this straight on my skin, which marches right into Halloween candle territory. Luckily, I don't get any cinnamon, and this doesn't irritate my skin at all. This oil is quite concentrated! Just a couple of small squirts is plenty.

WHATISGOINGONHERE? This is certainly the oddest bath oil I've ever tried.

In the bottle, it smells like warm buttery batter with some honey and a dash of nutty, woodsy spice. This stage makes sense. I don't really smell pumpkin, but its presence is felt in the butteriness. Despite being foody, it's not particularly sweet, with a hint of dusky sourness from what may be the beer note. Interesting.

Then. I pour some out. What the hell. Cherry candy and flaming brimstone! It's black and red and angry all over. It almost hurts to smell it. Very sharp and smoky and vicious.

It morphs again as it settles and heats up in the bath/on my skin. Morphs into banana bread and stays that way. There's no other way to describe it. It's dense, mushy, dark, bready, and full of banana. Despite going back into bakery territory, it's really nothing like the first butter/batter/honey stage.

I have no idea what to make of this, but it's certainly an adventure.

Applied on my skin, not in bath:

Buttery, rich pumpkin meat. I'm not really picking up on the stout, but this is smelling pretty yummy on my skin right now. :wub2:

ETA: Tried this again tonight (11/7/11) and I am now picking up a little smokiness and more stout to the scent. Still not as "stouty" as I thought it would be, but I do like the decant.

Edited by angelicruin

Honey Pumpkin Stout Bath Oil, with extreme emphasis on the Stout. Sniffing this from the bottle makes me feel a tad queasy. The stout is a bit too strong for my taste, however, the pumpkin smells very realistic in this, and there's a smokiness that follows right after. Taking this with me into a steamy shower was a little odd. It made me think of a hangover shower. Or when I used to rinse my hair with beer to give it shine. Once I stepped out of the shower, I smelled cinnamon off me, but it went away in a few minutes. Now on my skin, I'm left with a calmer version of what's in the bottle. Although I'm wimping out on this one, props to Puddin' for making this ridiculously realistic.

This is like Satan's pumpkin pie! It's reeeally spicy-I won't be putting it in my bath or on freshly bathed skin for fear of my cinnamon sensitivity acting up. The pumpkin is buttery, and honey is musky and sweet (omg love, love, love), and the spice and booze keep it dark and sexy. All dried out, though, I can see where Aldercy gets bannabread!! What a morpher.

Edited by lookingglass

I just got my decant and used it in my bath last night. :) SO good! Pumpkin and a bit of spice, but I think the Honey is the star here. This stuff is so good! Very sweet! I didn't notice any skin sensitivity, which made me happy. :)

ETA: So, the first time I used it there was no skin sensitivity...last night, however was a different story. Wherever the oil touched my body it left red marks and burned a bit. This sucks because it's one of the yummiest things I have ever smelled. I will try to just use it as a perfume oil. :)

Edited by Herb Girl

I put some of this in my bath tonight and within 5 minutes, my skin was hot, red, and angry at me! I have a cinnamon sensitivity (sadly, because I love cinnamon!) and this did the same thing Inferno and Tanin'iver did--raise hot red welts wherever it touched :(

Note: I only use the bath oils as a body lotion. :)

In the decant: Honey and pumpkin!

Wet: Smells good, but I think there's cinnamon in here, because something is burning a little on back of my hand, and the bf can smell it, also. Mostly I can still smell the honey and pumpkin.

The dry-down: Still a lovely honey and pumpkin scent. Not really getting oatmeal or stout.

I'm so behind in all things, and testing out Weenies happened to be one of them. I managed to snag some leftover Honey Pumpkin Stout Bath Oil from a decanter. I used it today and found it to be very syrupy sweet - definitely heavy on the honey. It reminds me of what a bag full of halloween candy [sans chocolate] smells like. I don't really get any 'stout' notes, but it is slightly smokey, so I'm wondering if that's it. I can't detect any pumpkin.

I only got an imp-sized vial of this to test, as I was curious about the stout part (the bath oils make me break out when I use them in the bath or as an all-over moisturizer, because they're so heavy), so this is mostly just a quick scent review. As for the fragrance, I get mostly super-sweet honey and red hots cinnamon that burned my wrist where I applied this. I had a red, itchy welt where it touched my skin. I wouldn't use this if you're at all sensitive to spice notes.

Pumpkin, STOUT, and a drizzle of honey. This is a heavily foodie scent to me. The stout has a certain 'oatmeal' quality to it, so its like a super dark pumpkin with a bit of honey.

Way too foodie for me.

This is getting so much better with age! Not very stout-y but that note somehow creates a golden warmth--almost a cream--that overlies the pumpkin, which does have spice but does not turn all cinnamon. Lovely in the bath and lingers beautifully on the skin.

OK, I finally caved and ordered this off the Trading Post's Etsy site, because I love the bath oils so much and I love pumpkin notes. This review is based on a skin-test, since I use the bath oils as an after-shower moisturizer, so I don't have any idea what this would smell like dispersed in bath water.

The stout was what had kept me away for so long, since I hate the taste and smell of beer, and was afraid of the stout. However, this is really good! There is a very mild pumpkin note to this- nothing as strong as the pumpkin in Pumpkin Pie bath oil or Marshmallow Pumpkin bath oil, nor as strong as my variety of pumpkin-scented BPAL perfumes. There is a slightly sour note at first, which I thave to assume is the stout, but it blends quickly into the honey and pumpkin, and it doesn't smell beery at all after the first minute. The notes blend together so well, and this is the most foody bath oil I have. It is a really nice scent, not overpowering with spice, and I think it will layer very nicely with any pumpkin scent, but also with other honey or cakey scents. I'm going to try it with Eat Me perfume- I think it will be a good base layer!

Edited by Poenari