Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Tramp

Chaotic

CHAOTIC
A whirling mélange of multicolored musks with wasabi, rooibos, heliotrope, and mastic.

In The Imp: Spicy and warm with a hint of something sweet (heliotrope?). This seems like the perfect winter day blend.

Wet on skin: Musky and spicy. This smells (on me) very masculine. I get a hint of something almost plant-like or sap-like in here. When my wrist was given to my husband for his opinion... he smelled mandarin orange. blink.gif

Dry on skin: Now I am getting the sweet and almost floral scent of the rooibos coming out to play.

Overall, this is a strong scent... lovely and warm. I can see wearing it a lot. LOVE!

Edit: About ten minutes after this, the Chaotic has faded and morphed into something really even more lovely. It is a soft spicy sweet blend without much throw. I am very much a fan.

Wet: Fabulous red musk paired with fresh and fruity heliotrope. A spike of astringent spiciness from the wasabi too.

Drydown: Sweet, fluffy musks over spiced heliotrope. It’s really lovely during this phase.

Dry: Cozy musks with rotating hints of freshness, spiciness, and fruitiness. Warm and sweet. Soft yet bold. As the day goes on the astringent spice of the wasabi grows stronger until it eventually overtakes the other notes.

Received a super generous lot of frimps in a recent order, including several new-to-me RPGs, this included. So this test comes from that imp.

IN THE IMP: Green appetizers and musk. Kind of like a musky salad bar.

Applied to one wrist and in crook of that arm.

WET: Very fresh and gourmandy green on immediate application. At very first note, it reminds me quite a bit of something that would go in the Karme category (I love Karme). But the next wave of notes include something that is distinctly red berryish (the rooibos?) and that is one of my dealbreaker scents. There is also something very, very familiar that I can't put my finger on but isn't a note I associate with perfume.

DRYDOWN: I really, really wanted to wait this out to see if the fruitiness abated and the green rose again but my stomach rose first and I washed it off.

OVERALL: This is very unusual and complex and there is a lot about it to like, but for me the red berries were a dealbreaker that I couldn't wait out. I think people who like Karme and Planting Moon and its family might like giving this a shot!

On a scale of 1-5, a 1.5

Origin: frimp from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: I never ordered this one because of musks and wasabi and not knowing what mastic was. When looking at the review thread again to remind me what the notes were, I noticed that the first couple of reviews said "floral" because of the heliotrope. So I opened the imp and sniffed.

In the Vial: Rich, sexy flowers with a shot of green spice. Must try!

Wet: A blast of very heavy, sweet flowery heliotrope.

Drydown: Well, there's definitely musk in here because it's amping, darn it. I can often handle white/pale/blue musk, but whatever this is seems to be teetering on the spectrum toward red/dark. It's not completely taking over the scent - I can still smell the heliotrope and probably the wasabi if I try hard, but they're not the star.

Verdict: The imp might get some scent-locket action, but I won't need a bottle.

ITB: There are a whole hosts of musk in here, along with a sweet red tone from the rooibos and a bright and slightly biting wasabi note. It's really interesting.

Wet: The wasabi jumps out on my skin, but there seems to be a golden musk and now heliotrope keeping it from being too green and too spicy.

Dry: The scent dries to mostly musk and a touch of rooibos and heliotrope. It's closer to what I'd envision as "good" rather than chaotic.

Other, more experienced noses than mine have covered this one quite well, but I'd like to add that on me, this one goes sweet,sweet, SWEET!! Almost a cloying floral (the heliotrope, of course) yet it keeps some intriguing sharp under-tones and a base of nice musk to ground it, which remain once the heliotrope calms down. I do like it, and wear it, but cautiously.

Chaotic *is* wonderful for a certain assertive mood, and is fun to play around with for layering, as long as I keep it away from the blends that also tend to go sweet on me--notably Dwarf, Elf and Evil. Combined with any of those, Chaotic becomes a painful nasal assault! :ack: I find that it does play nicely indeed with Orc, Mage, Rogue.

In the bottle - A wash of cherry-like red musk with the odd staccato scent of the wasabi behind it

Wet on me - Whirling melange is right. I get something musty, something lemony and something earthy but actually pinning anything down is impossible

Dry on me - I still get wafts of something minty and citrusy bright but the skin note is a deep rich musk, sweet and not animalistic

Overall - I genuinely do not know if I like this or not, I think the disparate elements work, but I'm not certain about them together

This is sharp and almost fruity on me! The wasabi could be what's giving the blend the sharp edge. It's quite interesting and pretty, though I can't quite pin down individual notes.

I can see it layering prettily with other RPGs.

This is pretty and unusual in a good way. Chaotic starts out as a light red berry musk, then the cedar-ish mastic lends it a woodsy backdrop. I smelled the wasabi on and off during the wet stage but it disappears and turns into something that's not spicy on me at all. Instead it's a juicy (I love rooibos) but earthy blend that seems quite amiable.

I went ahead and applied Fighter over this since it was nearby and I'm usually too lazy to use the RPGs like they should be (layered). What a nice mix! The soft sweetness of Chaotic tempers Fighter's in-your-face leather and metal, making it less imposing for the everyday. The warmth from the berry/woods is also a good match for Fighter's hot, almost musky leather. I think this would be absolutely killer with Evil, so I guess I've found a good class match for my preferences: Chaotic Evil Fighter. :P

Honestly this is nice on its own and would make a refreshing "summer scent," but now that I've tried a proper combo it's definitely great for adding a juicy, sparkly woodsiness to other RPGs as well.

Oh, this is fun! I had no idea what to expect--Smut has lots of musks and went straight-up feral on me, but somehow I still thought Chaotic might be okay. And my optimism has been rewarded! This doesn't actually strike me as particularly musky; it seems green and herbal, something plucked out of a kitchen herb garden just a couple of minutes ago. There's something up high that my brain keeps trying to call mint but that must be the mastic. This is much more smooth and green than I'd have expected from a scent called Chaotic, but I'm okay with that! :)

This is a lot nicer and wearable than I expected (feared?) based on the notes listed. I can see how it would layer well with a number of other scents, as there is a bit of something for everyone in this blend: it's musky, fruity, fresh, grassy and the tiniest bit spicy, all at the same time. It may not be something I reach for often, but it is definitely fun! I also immensely enjoy the use of mastic here (and now I'm craving Middle Eastern mastic ice cream!), and what's not to like about wasabi in a perfume? :lol:

Really, this is great fun. Chaotic puts me in a good mood :P

In the imp: Very intense! I don't know how else to describe it, other than it suits the name!

Wet on skin: Sweet, slightly spicy & strange!

Dry on skin: About the same as wet, only more musky.

After a few hours: Sweet & musky, but there is a hint of chaos in there! Very subtle - not at all what I expected from how it smelled in the imp!

Verdict: I probably wouldn't wear it on its own (though it is a nice smell), but I can see how it would layer beautifully with the other RPG scents!

In the imp: I would characterize this as exuberant - a zingy green (almost evergreen) scent, with something spicy-floral-sweet hanging around as well. This is what mid-springtime looks like (but doesn't necessarily smell like), when it's just rained and everything is exploding into growth.

Wet: Wow, chaotic really is a great name for this! The greenness is still there, but rounded out by...tea? mint? Florals? Sweet-ish musk? Fruit??? It changes from sniff to sniff, and I LOVE it. It's unexpected, fun, a little crazy, and still very exuberant.

Dry: It leans fruitier and fruitier, until it settles down into a very wearable sweet musk. Much more stable and less, er, chaotic than the Wet stage, but no less enjoyable because of it. I can't wait to layer this with ALL the other RPG scents!

The wasabi in this had me a bit concerned after my experience with Dracul where the cumin just overwhelmed my experience of the scent, but I could barely discern what could be called wasabi in this scent, but it does leave that slight burned sensation in my nostrils when I breath it in deeply, but not in a medicinal way, just a slightly sharp way. On my skin, this mainly smells like heliotrope with very little else. I think I might connect more with this scent if I felt a connection to RPGing as it is not unpleasant on me at all, but my feelings towards it are meh.

Bottle: Wet and musky. Cherry-grape heliotrope, and red muskiness in it.

Wet: Musky sweet sage, red grapes and cherries. A little wasabi, like a texture, but nothing I would've noticed without reading the lab's notes. And sometimes I smell pee. That's not in the notes.

Dry: Musky sage, dried heliotrope and red rooibos.

There’s a lot going on in this, but the forces of Chaos are musky and berry-red. Sometimes the pee comes back, here and gone again, like I just passed a recently hobo-freshened subway stair.

And then, after an hour, the whole scent is gone. Not too much of a fan.

Wet: very generic-perfume smelling. I think that might be partly the wasabi's fault, because wasabi has always smelled sort of chemically to me. There are also some nice florals in there, though.

Dry: This smells like incense. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I mean, I like smelling it, but I don't want to smell like it. It's a pleasant smell, but I'm not really crazy about it on my skin. I'll probably send it to the swaps.

Edited by ShunnerOfHugs

This is strange and difficult to describe... I do get something musky and berry-ish, but the scent is also floral-y. I get the impression of wasabi without the painful nose-tingling sensation. It's fresh and green, but warm, slightly sweet and slightly spicy. An oddball of a perfume. I like it, actually, and I keep smelling my wrist.

Tried this one on both myself and the boyfriend, he really loves it! Will probably buy a bottle because I love it too!

In the Imp: definitely get the woodsy grassy note, with a little bit of the spicier, redder scent

Wet: More of a musky mix, definitely getting the woodsy

Dry: the spicier note, green, very faint woodsy

On myself it portrays itself more on the green notes as lasting longer, but on the boyfriend its the spicier.

Chaotic was an imp that I got in a recent order and, thankfully, I got a matching Good frimp so that I could test out my alignment. I'm not layering them this time, but trying them on individually (Chaotic on my left wrist and Good on my right) so that I can make reviews of both.

In Bottle: First off, I have to say I think this one will be a staining hazard. This fresh imp is darker than a fresh imp of Snake Oil (which shows up yellow on my very pale wrists in sunlight).

Anyway, on to the smell here. I don't know most of the notes in this one, but I think I smell the heliotrope (maybe some rooibos) in particular and a small kick of wasabi. It's strong, but sweet. I'm intrigued by this.

Wet on Skin: It's becoming a slightly woodsier and spicy scent on my skin. The sweetness is seriously getting pushed back. There's almost a pine-like scent to it, I think. It may be the mastic. Honestly, I'm digging chaotic.

Approx. 1 Hour Later: The sweetness and pine scent have mostly faded out, leaving a spicy, musky, and green scent.

------

Overall, it's still interesting (and especially unisex out of the perfumes I've tried). After getting a proper smell of it, I think I'd especially like to try properly layering this with Good at some point. I think the sweetness of Good would balance this one out for me. I'm probably going to try Bard before I try them together.

This one is hard for me to describe, I get a fruitiness that I have no idea where it's coming from. I think it might be the rooibos

I get just the TINIEST bit of mastic and wasabi, but the scent is mostly a fruity rooibos and musks

Your friend, the hot mess: sweet, high-flying floral heliotrope with a different random-yet-temporary obsession each time you meet. Authentic backyard wasabi growing -- did you know that the stuff in American sushi restaurants is just DYED HORSERADISH? Artisanal Rooibos teabags (full of twigs that make dirt-flavored tea). Natural mastic stick-on moustaches. A different fashion trend and favorite color each time: chartreuse! hats! furs! gold! bringing lycra back!

There's no one else like her -- so easy to love. So true to herself. Such a headache in large doses.

I think this scent is the end of me trying BPAL wasabi blends. They never seem to work out, and they never quite smell as they're supposed to. I do smell horseradish in here, but there's also a strong minty quality that I can't place. The heliotrope is soft but noticeable, and the rooibos makes it a little fruity, but they blend with the other notes in a way that reminds me of scented deodorant. Definitely a pass for me.

Cold and spicy (wasabi) with a bit of a citrus undercurrent. Very interesting and green. Not "hot", but an idea of heated greenery.

Where I'd wear it: Sushi at the beach

I received this as a frimp, alongside a backup frimp of Good. This is the first RPG series scent I've received since my first imp of Good, so I'll be testing this separately as well as layered with Good.

In the imp:
Honestly, I wasn't expecting to like this, since I'm more of a sweet scent fan, but I'm rather enjoying these first sniffs! To me, it almost smells like a green apple that's been dipped in wasabi. I know that's weird, since apple isn't listed among the notes.

On me, wet:
Ooooh, there's a real greenness to this. The apple-like scent is still there, but the cedar/pine of the mastic is really blooming. Usually I find woody scents a little too bitter, but this is sweet, fresh, and frankly gorgeous.

On me, dry:
This gets more woody as it dries, and the wasabi gives it just enough zing to stay interesting. This is a great, clean-smelling, gender-neutral scent!

Chaotic Good (layered):
I was worried that Good might overwhelm the freshness of this scent with too much sticky sweetness, but these layer very well (as, I figure, they were exactly meant to). Good actually brought back the a bit of the appley scent that had been fading as Chaotic on its own dried.

Verdict:
I adore this! And it makes a really lovely pair with Good. This is a definite keeper, with maybe a bottle in the future.