Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Dry white sandalwood wrapped in thin woods, soft grasses and the lightest white flowers layered over cajeput and the warm, deep scent of embalming herbs.

In Imp: A cold, very dry sweetness...Almost like powdered sugar rubbed into driftwood left in the sun.

Wet on skin: Wood dust. Much like my woodshop class in highschool.

Dy on skin: Wood shop during a fire drill, with the smell of dried grass underneath the wood dust.

Edited to add the lab description. Edited by Jia_Mekare

Initial Impression: sandalwood, herbs

On Wet: herbs, slightly floral and grassy, yet dry smelling

On Dry: dry wood with a hint of herbs

Final Impression: a very interesting scent

Rating (on a scale of 1-5): 2.5

Oh dear...I love this one, but I have no flippin' idea how to explain it! It's a white floral that also manages to be, as the description puts it "warm and deep". There's something a little...different, in this blend that I'm not sure how to identify...maybe the "soft grasses" or cajeput, whatever that is! This is a very peaceful and still scent...very calming. A day or mellow evening scent, definitely! This scent...is making me want to slather myself in it and wrap myself in a blanket and take a nap, which is, I suppose, very suited to its name. I could also see myself wearing this to a picnic or a day at the park...it kind of also smells like taking a nap in a cozy fragrant meadow.

Wow! I can't stop sniffing where I applied this! A definite keeper!

Ooohh, now something's getting a bit spicy in there, too! I'm getting more addicted to it by the second....Big Bottle Please! 5/5

:P

in the bottle sharp, dry, almost mouldy.

wet on skin still very dry, but also sour with a healthy dollop of patchouli smell. ah, wikipedia tells me that cajeput is tea tree oil. that doesn't explain the patchouli smell (which must be in the embalming herbs), but it explains the unpleasant overall smell.

dry on skin this is goblin lite. i couldn't ever wear this. it's too... sharp, yet cloying.

in the vial: thin, white, dry and masculine.

wet on skin: sharp and rather bitter. Dry, herbal ... in fact it smells like the sort of oil you put on your pillow to unclog your sinuses - that must be the cajeput! I have a feeling that without cajeput it would be quite nice ...

dry on skin: well, what do you know! The cajeput faded after half an hour, leaving a faint, thin, creamy scent of sweet sandalwood and white flowers! What a lovely surprise! I need to apply more!

On a second application, it smells of rubber! Ew!

On the third attempt, the rubber smell came back but eventually faded to leave the soft, sweet sandalwood ... which is unfortunately very faint.

In the imp this was a calm, soft scent I couldn't really pin down. I liked it but didn't love it - which was good, because on it turns to Soap, practically instantly. Off to the swaps.

This is immediately cedar-esque and sandalwood on my skin--it is a very strong woody scent that I could smell even with my test spot far above my nose. It has that smoky/woody quality that I often get when different types of woods are mixed with a sandalwood note. Is this some sort of redwood/rosewood? I don't think so, because it doesn't quite have that punch, but I get a similar effect. Sometimes when I smell this I think I might be picking up on a slight hint of herbalness, but it's not really very strong. I get no floral presence whatsoever from this scent. It is consistently a woody scent--a stripped tree, with browned out bark, perhaps dying and scorched by flames a long time ago.

Probably just a vagary of my untrained nose, but this one comes on like roses for me. Wet, that's what I smell.

As it dries down, more woods come through. Cedar, primarily. It's evocative of a new casket in the viewing room, adorned by flowers. Don't smell the occupant of the casket. Might be a good thing, that -- tribute to the embalmer's art. :P

Very light, I have to bring it up close to my nose to smell it. Exactly as a shroud should be. A light wisp of cloth.

It's not really me, but I am glad to have made its acquaintance before its interment in the hallowed ground of extinct BPAL oils. It's truly lovely, and is aptly named.

Edit: Wow. So THAT's what they mean by soapy! Hmmm. Still not bad, even as soap. But, soap.

Edited by dissolution

Fresh moist dirt in the imp. Fresh and kinda nondescript on my skin. The dirt is very soft. I don't get any floral from it but I'd bet it's smoothing out the earthy tones. Not my cuppa, but can see others who are more into earth liking it.

When first applied this smells strongly of very dry, white sandalwood. Earth and loam. Maybe some roses too. As it wears there’s a herbal smell there too. As this point, the roses are strongest followed by the herbs and loam. The sandalwood scent is pretty much gone now but I’m sure it’s there in the background anchoring this scent.

Yep, dry, white, loamy sandalwoodness, with the cajeput giving it a bit of punch. Not soapy. It was strong and slightly bitter at first, and now that it's had time to mellow, it's turned out to be rather pleasant. Like leaning up against and breathing in old wood walls in an antique home. Dunno if it wows me, but one bottle might be a good idea. If nothing else, this would be a killer room scent.

This is a soft scent, but it still smells like dirt and the bouquet of red roses you got for Valentines' Day and broke up with your lover soon after to let the roses rot in their vase for a few months. Not a favorite, but I must say that it is interesting.

The first time I tried it, it was floral, but dried down into a nice earthy scent that lingered. It was very very dry and a bit dusty... the name fit perfectly. I wanted to test it properly in case I needed a bottle before it became DC'd.

This time I wore a normal amount, rather than just a little dab. It's very floral (I hate florals) and has a decent throw. Hours later, it's still going strong, which would be great... if I liked the scent. This time I'm not getting that dry dusty earthiness at all... just floral. Old lady floral, at that. On me, it's 100% white floral, and nothing else.

I'll pass on that bottle, for sure. I'm not sure that I even need the imp. Sorry, Shroud, I won't really miss you.

at first, sandalwood and cajeput, big time. Then add some grass or herbs...10 to 15 minutes later, the sweetness of flowers.

very lovely so far! Most lovely at the beginning, not quite old-lady yet (and my chemistry has a tendancy to do that with most perfumes).

The dusty scents always impress me because I can't wrap my head around how something *wet* can smell and act so dry! I smell the woods (mainly sandalwood) when it's wet, and the flowers come out as it dries. The dust permeates.

In bottle/imp: Very very herbal… with a light grassy undertone.

Immediately on skin: There’s something… oil like about this scent. And getting the description of cajeput makes sense out of it: the odor is “a mixture of turpentine and camphor.” I’m getting a touch of cedar and a strong herbal note in this as well. It’s a very dry wood and herb scent with a little bit of turpentine.

After a few minutes: The wood in this is the strongest after a little while, and the turpentine cajeput note has faded. It’s still a rather sharp and acrid scent. The underlying scent is that of sharp herbs. It’s a very bitter and dry blend overall.

Overall Impressions: This scent is not pleasant on me. The wood and cajeput combine to make something dry and bitter. This might be the greatest blend for some people, but I don’t really enjoy it.

I really wish I'd gotten to know this one sooner, before it was discontinued. It's a nice, dry, sandalwoody, dusty scent on me. I don't get flowers so much as I get herbs on top of the wood note, but that's exactly the way I'd want it anyway.

In Vial:Incense and perfume

Wet:Yep, more of the same only stronger. This is beginning to smell more and more like baby powder.

Later: This is very powdery and alot like baby powder on me.

In the bottle: Sharp, resiny-green, and sickly-sweet.

Wet: Much nicer; less sweet, gentler. Dry, warm sandalwood and some soapy white florals.

Dry: Sandalwood with soapy flowers and a hint of a sort of citrusy scent that I quite like, but never quite fully emerges. Too dry and sandalwood-y for my tastes.

Hmmm. Starts out as a woody base, and then quickly dries down into heavy herbs with light florals just barely there. Shroud is nice, but nothing that makes me go off in search of a bottle.

Wet on my skin, Shroud is a clean floral. Dry, it crosses the line into soapy. I'll try this once more before I decide its fate.

Discontinued? Noooooh! This was a frimp and I fell in love! It starts off fresh and clean, becomes woody and spicy, and the drydown is soft, woody, with a hint of herbs. Why is it DC?

Why?

Big whine.

ADDED Sept. 12:

Why does the lab frimp me with something with which I fall madly in love, only to discover it's discontinued? It's freakin' cruel, I tell ya.

I adore this - on me, it's sandalwood and earth after a rain. I could bathe in this.

Discontinued - so cruel.

Soft dry sandalwood--ooh, that's nice--but this is *so* light. It's barely there.

Later, it's dryer sheets. Dagnabbit.

In the bottle, it is...ugly? That is the only thing that comes to mind.

Wet on skin, whoa florals! And whiteness.

After a while, it smells like linens and light florals. Like finding an old dress hidden away in a closet. I love it.

It is soft; I would have to put a lot on for there to be much throw. It does not seem like a scent that should have much of a throw, though. I think it is perfect as a close-to-skin scent.

This is a very dry, herbal scent. The dominant note is the wood followed closely by the embalming herbs. I'm not getting any floral elements out of this at all.

Very light throw and medium staying power

Overall Score 1-5 (5 being the best)