Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
angelicruin

Yellow Jessamine Honey

Yellow jessamine honey.

Wet it's all jasmine! Very strong perfumey jasmine but dry down I seem to lose most of the jasmine and it's mostly honey. I don't know if it's bottle worth but the imp is def. a keeper!

Like most of the others said, this is jasmine like woah. Not into it. The jasmine is super strong and I can barely smell any honey, even after waiting for about 40 minutes.

In the imp: Jasmine and honey. I usually don't care for the lab's jasmine note, but this smells promising.

Wet: Yup, jasmine and honey. All good so far.

Dry: Aaaaand mothballs. The honey is lovely though - someone who can wear jasmine could pull this off really well, but not me.

Imp: Strong, fruity, floral-honey. Interestingly, I don't get straight jasmine out of this. It almost smells violet-y?

Wet: Yep, definitely violet or lavender or something else cool and blue-purple and commonly used in facial/body products. The combined sweetness and cleanliness creates a smell that's very reminiscent of baby wipes on me. Sadly, the honey isn't the deep, rich, dripping kind I was hoping, but a thin watery suggestion of sweetness.

Dry: Sadly, this never develops the depth or richness of scent I was hoping, but remains a slightly watery, generic sweet floral. This is not a great time of the month to be testing new scents, so I'll give this another go before I ditch it, but I'm not a huge fan.

I agree that Jasmine is the dominant note, but it's not nearly as overwhelming on me as it seems in other scents. There is some honey but I feel like there's also something else that's just generally mellowing the whole scent but I have no idea what it is.

Oh hello there Jessamine honey!

So alive and still kicking into the eleventh hour!

This isn't a complex scent, its pretty much floral on me with a tab bit of honey thrown in for measure. A little goes a long way with this oil.

Its a good solid go to scent for me.

In bottle: This is lovely and delicate. The floral note floats sweet and clear on a sea of silky honey. Jessamine appears to be a more delicate jasmine, as if jasmine were trying to be honeysuckle. This would be beautiful on a young woman, heady and a little dangerous. Wet: The honey somewhat overwhelms the jessamine on my skin, though the unusual, polleny scent of the flower is still discernible. The florals reemerge as it warms reasserting the in bottle balance, even as the whole fragrance mellows into something stunning. I am exactly the wrong person to wear this, but the bones of the design are so good, it still manages to be lovely on me. I can easily imagine how amazing it would be on the right person. Dry: Mostly jasmine.

Received as a frimp in a swap.

IN THE IMP: Sweet, sweet floral honey with a slight tinge of fruitiness.

Dabbed VERY lightly on my wrist and in the crook of my arm.

WET: Sweet honey with that fruitiness that, to me, straddles the line between honeysuckle and jasmine. I've never smelled yellow jessamine so it's quite possible that's what it smells like. NOT full-on jasmine to my nose.

DRYDOWN: This is very pleasant ... sweet, light, girly. More floral than honey yet the sweetness is from the honey.

OVERALL: I would warn to use VERY sparingly ... a little goes a long way. I can see why some people might find this cloying but for me it's not a problem at all ... and this comes from someone who CAN'T STAND Lush Flying Fox (though I adore Flying Saucers AND B Never).

I would not wear this as a perfume but if it was released as a bath oil I'd buy a big bottle in a heartbeat.

On a scale of 1-5, a 3.

Finally got my grubby little hands on some Yellow Jessamine Honey! Been looking forward to this one for a while. I almost had a heart attack when I uncapped the imp because WHOA NELLY this is sweet. I love the lab's jasmine and honey notes but this almost veered into cotton candy territory. I started to worry that I'd made a huge mistake... then it dried and became GORGEOUS. Mostly floral with a whiff of honey, and I can almost smell something herbal as well. Don't be scared by the wet stage! It calms down pretty quick and becomes a lot more wearable. Now to track down a bottle!

Wet: Soapy almost-but-not-quite-jasmine. It really is like jasmine, but just not quite. So soapy on me, holy.

Dry: The soapiness dissipates, but it ends up smelling, um, kinda like feces? It's not good on me, let's just say that.

Its a pretty simple floral honey...the jasmine is a little overpowering at first, but when it dries it complements the honey very nicely, adding a depth to it that is difficult to describe (i want to say honey and oats...)

Edited by maudlinrose

In the imp: Heady jasmine-y honey.

Wet: Super strong jasmine, made even headier by the honey. It smells like baby wipes on me. WHY.

Dry: Ugh, the jasmine in this is so strong, and not the type that plays well on my skin. The honey just seems to amplify it even more. It honestly smells like baby wipes on me.

After a few hours, the jasmine does calm down enough to let the honey be distinictly recognized as such, but it still reminds me of baby wipes.

Verdict: This one is on the train to NOPEville (or going to swaps), where it will hopefully find someone whose skin chemistry agrees with it.

Hopes and preconceptions: BPAL's honey notes tend to work very well on me -- something I'm sad I didn't realize while the Apiary scents were more widely available -- so I'm hoping for honey with floral around the edges. 

In the bottle: Whoa, jasmine! All jasmine -- strong jasmine. No honey. 

On my skin:

Initially, it's the same all-jasmine as it was in the bottle. Strangely, for me, the throw does not seem to be particularly strong at this point. After a few minutes, the throw increases, and the jasmine turns slightly soapy -- an issue that I've had with jasmine that is sometimes transient and sometimes not. 

Twenty minutes later, and while the soapiness has resolved itself, this is still all jasmine, all the time. This is fairly surprising to me because, while jasmine is definitely hit-or-miss with my skin chemistry, honey has historically been both reliable and strong. I'm not sure it's ever taken honey this long to emerge on my skin (Third Charm, maybe?) -- and it's certainly never taken this long for honey to appear from a blend with the word "honey" in its name. 

Forty minutes in, and this is reminiscent of the epic battle that was My Skin Chemistry v. Hony Mone, only now with more jasmine, less honey. 

(I should point out that the jasmine isn't actually doing anything bad or weird on my skin at this point and hasn't been for a while. The soapiness I got was just for a couple of minutes during the initial drydown. It's a very clear, true jasmine with a good amount of throw.)

It's been just over an hour since the initial drydown, and just now -- and just barely -- the honey is beginning to warm up and round out this blend. It's still mostly jasmine, but there is now a faintly detectable honey undertone. 

At an hour and twenty minutes, up close, it's finally become genuine floral honey, though the jasmine note still has considerably more throw. 

At just over an hour and forty minutes, I'm going to have to call it: While this is honey and jasmine, at this point, it's still considerably more honey than jasmine. It's probably great for jasmine lovers, but as a dedicated honey lover (with a tried and true track record as a honey amper as well, so what gives here?),  this is not my favorite honey and not even my favorite floral honey.