Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
wendyb1063

Door

Golden honey, nicotiana, blue chamomile, and cistus.

In the bottle: This actually smells rather herbal to me, rather than floral or sweet. It's actually a bit sharp, with a perfumey edge.

On skin, wet: It's less sharp on my skin, a little warmer, but still more herbal than anything else.

On skin, dry: Still more or less the same. Not a big morpher so far.

After an hour: The florals have finally made an appearance but, alas, the honey has not; the florals are dominant with that herbal note lingering in the background. It's nice enough, but not for me at all--I really wanted the honey.

Door confounds me. It smells like a clean floral powdery smell with a light musk, but I like it, I don't like powdery smells. Not at all. So I don't know why I want to wear it, and I keep reaching for it, so the only conclusion I can come to is that I like it. I am guessing it is the honey that is going powdery, and if I don't moisturise directly before applying then I can sometimes get that plastic note others have commented on, but moisturising will stop that for me I have found, so may be worth trying if you get the plastic note. Door, you are taking me out of my perfume comfort zone, I thank you for it though, it is not good to typecast oneself as BPAL is good for surprises.

I smell no honey...I smell something very fresh and I'm most certainly getting heaps of fresh chamomile blossoms. To me it seems to almost go mildly aquatic. I like it but to me it translates into something very unlike its description. I have a 1/3 bottle and that will be enough for me. I really just love the character and am happy to have her namesake's perfume. :)

Bit surprised I haven't reviewed this one yet, since it's my #1 absolute favourite. The moment it I first put it on I fell in love with it and I've been in love with it ever since.

It seems that either honey works on you (smells like actual honey) or it doesn't (goes powdery, or smells like a dirty diaper, or some other terrible thing). Honey works perfectly on me, exactly as intended, lucky for me. Door is honey, with some depth and darkness from what I presume is the cistus. It's sweet, quirky, and a bit sneaky. It's gorgeous, and I adore it. I can't imagine not being able to wear it. I will probably always have handfuls of back up bottles. The best!

Wet: This is the truest honey note I have ever smelled from the Lab. I frequently wash my face with honey (yes, I'm a weird hippie) and this smells like the honey I slather all over my face. After a few moments, it's joined by a sweet floral. Very feminine and pretty. I LOVE this honey note. This is not the same note as in Alice, or in Crib Girls. I feel like I've never smelled this BPAL honey, and I am loving it!

Dry: Unfortunately I continue amping the sweetness in this until is screaming at me. It's become unwearable, sadly, but it's still really interesting. If it smelled on me dry like it did wet, I would be buying a bottle, for sure.

The honey in this, I'm pretty sure, is the same as the one found in The Cat, Dawn Maiden, and Crib Girls. It doesn't work well with my chemistry and goes a bit baby powder. That said, this isn't bad on me. It's pleasant and calming, probably due to the chamomile and the honey adds a pleasant, if powdery, sweetness. It's sort of a wistful skin scent. I was worried about the nicotania being a tobacco note, b/I don't get anything like that from this.

Pleasant, calming, unique, but not really ringing my bells.

In Bottle: Sweet and herbal-y.

Wet: Pretty medicinal. I smell the cistus and chamomile pretty strongly. The sweetness must come from the honey, but it's not my favourite version of a honey scent.

Dry: A bit like a herbal tea. I smell the chamomile and the nicotiana even stronger as it dries. If I apply it lightly, it makes for a good night time scent. If I apply too much of it though, it makes me feel a bit sickly and woozy, which I think comes from the nicotiana.

Overall, it's not my favourite.

Wet/in the imp - light, floral honey, stronger on the floral than the honey

Freshly applied - as it starts to dry on my skin, a resin-y note appears that must be the cistus.

Fifteen minutes in - beeswax, light/slightly-grainy resin and hint of flowers/hay, somehow both warm and clean-smelling. It has a good four inches of throw, but isn't strong/cloying or overwhelming. It reminds me a little of a beeswax-based lotion, like a Burt's Bees product.

Three hours in - Door hasn't morphed much - it's still cistus resin, hay-like slightly-herbal chamomile, and beeswax/honey. The scent has gotten fainter/lighter, but I can still detect it with my nose several inches away from my wrist. Something about the beeswax-lotion aspect makes Door smell very clean to me, like applying lotion to freshly showered skin.

Edited by Elspethdixon

When I first put this on it didn't smell like honey so much as honey flavored rock candy. It had a faint powdery scent, too. After maybe an hour a very soft floral scent emerged, but I still smell mostly like fake honey. (In a good way. I really like it.)

After a few hours the scent fades to something I can't really place. It's not honey -fake or otherwise- and it's not floral. It's just really sweet.

All in all, I like Door. I expected it to smell a little more like real honey, but what I got was still pleasant.

Herbs in the bottle. Goes on as herbs and honey, which briefly turns sickly sweet like a fake cough drop. This eventually calms back down and the herbs vanish, to leave a faint single-note perfumy honey, like the one from Honeyed Apple, which lasts for hours.

Basically a cup of chamomile tea with honey and a store-brand cough drop.

Honey!!! That's all I smell from Door at first, then honey and herbs. A faint tinge of tobacco from the nicotiana? Not sure what cistus smells like, but this is gorgeous, one of the Lab's beautiful meadow in springtime sort of blends. Golden sunshine in a vial. I won't need a bottle right away because I have a brand new bottle of Against Idleness and Mischief, which shares the honey and chamomile notes. I will death match them one of these days, but there's definitely a family resemblance.

In the imp this was all green musky.

Skin initial - HONEY. Bloomed beautifully. Reminded me of Crib Girls with the intensity at first.

Settled on skin ... this is Crib Girls Light. Actually this smells a lot like Diabolical Offspring did on me (from years ago). It had a "Baby sweetness"; this is basically this scent entirely.

Like really well taken care of baby butt. Kind of lovely but uh, you know.

At first, this is all herbal honey on my skin, like heavily honeyed chamomile tea. As it dries, the nicotiana turns this into a really lovely perfumed honey; the tobacco note is very reminiscent of the tobacco flower in Zorya P. I think I might amp it a little, since I definitely get more tobacco flower smell than any sense of powdery honey. Combined with the herbal notes, it makes the scent almost bitter, but in an elegant way. Since I love honey and Zorya P, this one is a winner.

Door is primarily a comforting honeyed blue chamomile scent on me with touches of tobacco and cistus in the background that become more noticeable with wear and give the scent a more perfume-y feel.

I like this, and I'm really glad I was able to try it (yay! chamomile!), but I'm not sure that I need a bottle at the moment since I already own Against Idleness and Mischief.

Door is golden and viscous herbal, sunbeams and florals. I only got a tester, and at first it was a little funky, like it had aged oddly. Thankfully, after a bit, everything melded and amped just right. Lovely! I would adore this on a Summer night celebration. 

This is mainly a powdery, honey and chamomile smell. It's like huffing the head of a freshly washed baby. It's very comforting. There is just a hint of cistus and nicotiana adding some light floral and resin depth.