Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Vanilla, star anise, cherry blossom, peony, violet leaf, and neroli.

Vanilla of course is love. I kinda like star anise, as long as I don't have to eat it.

In the decant: Vanilla and violet, cherry blossom. A little star anise coming up, and a sort of honey accord.

Wet: Vanilla and star anise, star anise and vanilla, and then pretty much star anise.

Dry: The vanilla comes back. Now I'm getting the violet and cherry blossom a little too, some neroli; I'm betting that as it dries, more of the flowers will emerge.

Verdict: This settled down into a really interesting sweet anise scent. I rather like it; it reminds me of the wild anise that used to grow all over the peninsula where I grew up. Ooh, now I want to write about that place. What a love-hate relationship.

Starts out as pure, almost sharp anise, but the vanilla kicks in and gives this a softer, creamy, sweet quality that's really pretty. The florals are only a faint presence--I smell the violet most prominently. This is soft and gorgeous! I wish it had a little more throw, but that's a minor quibble.

Bought an imp from a forum member last week.

What an interesting scent! It's very pretty and the star anise makes it a bit unusual. I like anise and love BPAL's Absinthe to death so I thought I might like this one and I adore it!

Wet - Star Anise, Star Anise, Star Anise!!

Dry - The anise is very light but I am amping cherry blossom and violet!! <3 <3 <3

Very nice, I like it, just purchased a partial bottle from a forum member!

Too bad a lot of others are seeming to have bad luck with this one. Well I just got "baby powder" a few forum favorites, so I'm happy to have found one that works for me.

-Melanie

Edited to say I love it so much that I also just purchased a 5ml from the lab. :)

Edited by glitterlips

Pink Mood is anything but pink on my skin. No vanilla, no cherry blossom, no peony. Only harsh anise.

Yuck.

In the bottle I can smell anise and cherry blossom. It reminds me of the liquorice allsort covered in little pink balls. On me and wet the vanilla is coming out and counteracting the anise and I can still smell the cherry blossom. I hope the violet comes out as I love violet! The anise has really mellowed out now and merged with the cherry blossom, with the vanilla adding a creamy softness to it. This is turning out to be lovely! Ok it's softening down so much that I'm finding it hard to smell, come back!! Maybe I'll have to buy a bottle and slather myself with it :D

Again, major disappointment.

In the decant: Anise, vanilla, and floral. Sweet and pretty.

Wet: OMG ANISE. It's like I slathered my arm in black licorice. :(

Dry down: Still anise with something herbal around the edges. Sharp, kind of bitter, with black jellybean on the side.

After about 30 minutes the vanilla has started to come through, and it seems about ready to poof. No cherry blossom at any point. This makes me really sad because I love cherry blossom and vanilla, and I ended up with black licorice. I think I will hold onto one of the decants I got and see if aging does it any good. Maybe the anise will mellow, yes?

Edited to add: After a bit more time, the licorice goes away and I'm left with sweet vanilla. Which is nice, but I am not sure if I can deal with the OMG ANISE that comes before it. One decant goes in the sale/swap pile and the other goes into the "cross my fingers and hope for the best later on" pile.

Edited by steelgossamer

This is the one I was most excited for, and I was so afraid that I was going to be disappointed for a bit, but all is well!

Bottle - Licorice. Black licorice. I can't really smell anything else but anise, but that's okay. I love that smell.

Wet - The same as in the bottle, but something sweeter tries to peek through. I assume it was the vanilla going, "Hey! I'm under all this licorice! I swear!"

Dry - For the first half an hour to an hour, it was still that state of trapped vanilla. But at about the hour mark, the anise backs off and the vanilla pokes up, and just a tint of cherry blossom waves its arms up at me. Really, it's a gorgeous combination. And it lasted forever. I put it on when I left for work, and when I left about ten hours later, I could still smell the remains of it.

Definitely a keeper. Surprisingly not my favorite of the update, but one that I am very glad I bought!

I loooove black licorice, but I dont LOVE this. Yes, I also get no cherry blossom.. but what I do get is a weird yeasty anise. Maybe thats the vanilla in there? It's thick, flat and well... bready. :blink: I was hoping for the overwhelming anise that everyone has been describing, but this fades quickly on me and just isn't all I was hoping for.

I was gifted an imp of this.

In bottle: Yum....black jelly beans!

Wet on skin: Black jelly beans and vanilla.

Dry on skin: This has softened into a really amazingly beautiful scent. Anise, vanilla, and something soft and yummy. It made me feel so frisky that I bought two bottles of it. The hubs is pleased.

It's nice, but not something that makes me go :joy: . I'm at that point that unless the oil makes me go wow, it ends up on the selling block. Glad it made many happy though!

Yummy yummy licorice. Wow that's nice. The vanilla adds a sweetness that is exactly a good licorice stick. I know there are other things in there, but they merely support the wonderfulness that is licorice.

Oh wow, this makes me nauseous. I realized why, it smells JUST LIKE Pepto Bismol. The name is fitting. Worst!

Edited by HKB

This will be a short review, but to me, it smells like a food scent that isn't foody. It might be a contradiction, but it has a cupcake frosting sort of feel, without being too sweet. It gives the impression of pink frosting, but the anise makes it spicy and warm. I am glad the anise is the strongest note, I feel it would smell like frosting if it wasn't there, due to the cherry, vanilla and sugary violet notes. The perfume conjures up a real old timey Victorian cupcake to me, where anise was used in the frosting. And so pretty with its rose, orange blossom and violet petals on top. Velvet softness and spice, all the way.

It is a womanly scent, Pink Mood, invoking the idea expressed on the label. :) Don't make explain my cupcake, spicy warmth and frosting metaphors. I didn't get a yeasty bread note, but I would laugh wholeheartedly if a yeast note was in there.

I'd buy a bottle of this. I thought this line was up until the end of May, nope, end of April. I wish I would have gotten a tester before the line stopped being sold.

Edited by Madame Nyx

This was immediately in the want category, and then the anise reviews came in and I didnt even put it on my decant list. I got the chance to try it finally though, and I am one of the ones whose skin loves this =) I do get a hint of the anise, but not in an awful way -- its more like evil pink vanilla. I love this one, and upgraded to a bottle!

This might have better suited being called Aqua mood the way it smelt on my skin.

Slight anise-cherry blossomyness is soon blanked out by a group of overconfident mermaids on a night out covered in aquatic perfume.

They're drunk and getting a bit screechy. I get a headache and have to wash them away

:::PINK MOOD:::

This one had arrived as yet another Frimp!

From the Imp came a nutty, buttery sort of essence... Kind of like popcorn butter and Spanish Peanut skins, but not as overtly... Foody.

In the background, there is something that is Hot Pink and a demented sort of sweet... Red Licorice?

The Wife, inquisitive about this obsession by now leans in and says, "Yes, Red Licorice... And Cinnamon Imperials... And Alfalfa pellets"

A quick scan of the Notes reveals that there is Star Anise and Cherry Blossom in this which explains the Red Licorice phenomenon.

No Cinnamon, though...

The "Alfalfa pellet" remains a mystery... Peony? It is a note unfamiliar thus far.

On the Skin: The Butter/Salt really amps at first, and then does a lemming from the olfactory receptors.

Now the Anise comes to the fore! This is a bright, otherworldly, metallic Anise that is a dizzying, dazzling glint.Vanilla blooms here too like an explosion in super slow motion.

The Violet Leaf and Neroli are perfectly joined as Siamese Twins as they get strewn throughout the overall effect of Pink Mood like so many cinematic garlands...

Pink Mood is a very sweet and Glamorous fragrance for Her!

4.8 out of 5!

I could smell the anise before I even opened the imp. When I opened the imp to smell it, the scent of anise was so overpowering that it triggered my gag reflex. This definitely is not a scent for me, so I'm considering giving my sniffie/single tester to my boss or my mother because they both love licorice.

There isn't a whole lot I can say about this scent besides that sniffing it causes me to have a mental orgasm.

Vanilla and anise + vanilla and anise + more glorious vanilla and anise

It dries down to a lovely vanilla and anise scent with just a hint of floral. Typically, when anise is a predominant note, it is too much for my overly-sensitive nose to handle but mixed with vanilla, it's just right.

Of course I catch on to this awesomeness AFTER the blend is no longer available. <_< I would sell my daughter for a bottle of this stuff! Ok, so not really, but I'd give something I love dearly for it!

The sweetness I get is more floral -- lots of peony, here. It's the epitome of a pink, girly scent -- soft, and very, very sweet. It sums up the picture that inspired it perfectly. It's for that reason that I ended up buying a bottle -- it's actually a lot more feminine-seeming than most of the things I like to wear, but it's a nice change and novel addition to my collection, and the way it syncs up with the artwork takes it to a whole other level.

In bottle: Anise dominant, but the blend is complex and surprising, each element distinct and working to create a light bright, quirky scent. Wet: The neroli and violet leaf strengthen a bit and the anise calms a bit. It’s like that picture that’s a vase or kiss depending on how one focuses one’s eyes. The same elements rearanging to make a different picture. I was not expecting to be able to wear this when I swapped for it, but was intrigued by the whiff I got in a meet ‘n sniff, so I got it specifically for sniffing. It turns out to do surprisingly, unpredictably well on my skin. The vanilla and anise remind me vaguely of my great aunt’s christmas cookies, the peony is pleasantly brash, the cherry blossom is delicately sweet, the neroli and violet leaf ground and connect. It’s delightful and strange when you add in my skin chemistry. My skin rater eats it. Even as I typed this review, it’s being swallowed. Still, I’m happy with it, especially as I was expecting very little. Dry: Mostly vanilla, with a hint of the other elements.

This was very pink and sweet at first, but after 30 minutes or so, the star anise is definitely the dominant note. It's not harsh or as loud as it usually is on me, it's smooth and sweet and soft.

I'm not a huge fan of licorice, and I'm very picky about anise or anything that smells like licorice. I think the only BPAL blend I've kept that has this in it is Le Père Fouettard, and in that one the leather is as loud as the anise so it balances it out.

This, though... I don't think I've ever smelled anise that was quite this pretty. I'll definitely be hanging on to my decant.

In Imp: Sweet and a little astringent, which I think is the neroli. I'm not a huge fan of that particular note. I also detect some soapy sharp cherry blossom and anise.

Wet: More cherry blossom, a tiny bit of green violet leaf, neroli, and a creamy sweetness that has to be the vanilla peeking out from behind.

Dry: Sweet and perfumey and highly floral. This is a gentle, cool floral in the vein of Snow White, with a shot of licorice. I haven't quite decided if I like it yet, but it's definitely interesting. 3/5

Sniffed: A bit foody/nutty, must be the anise.

On skin: Yep, anise (maybe mixed with vanilla) is dominating here: Pink Mood has a distinct seed/nut-like foodiness, with the slightest medicinal quality. Light, spicy-sweet, with a non-spicy freshness that must be neroli and flowers. The scent grows warmer and more spicy-foody over time. The anise is largely the star of the show, and I don't really get any other notes.

Verdict: Nice, but I'm not feeling it. Wish I got more out of the other notes. Don't think I'll keep it.

I am pretty much getting straight black licorice from this blend. I hate eating black licorice, but I really don't mind the smell of it as a perfume :wub2: . I had this bottle in the back of my head as a swap or sale bottle when I received it. I am glad I held on to it though. I barely get any cherry blossom, peony, violet leaf or neroli from this. They may have been present when I first put this on, but they wore off quickly. I think I am going to hold on to this blend for now.

In the bottle - Cool, crisp anise with something nutty in the background

Wet on me - The anise is now backed with some dark green, almost bitter, notes

Dry on me - A soft, sweet, yet cool, floral scent underlain by the vanilla

Overall - Delicate and pretty, but unusual and sophisticated. I'm not certain if I'll wear it often, but I'll definitely wear it.