Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Heavenlyrabbit

Sleipnir

Confections spun of hazelnuts, honey, elderberries, and bilberries with a dusting of hay and a bit of carrot.

ooooh this is fantastic! Sweet, warm hazlenut dripping with honey, dried berries and fresh hay. Just a hint of carrots in the background. Its not cloying at all, not too sweet, just perfectly balanced. I'm glad I got a bottle :)

In the vial - Warm and nutty, but it's a very natural scent; there's not much sweetness here.

Wet on the skin - A wonderful blend of crushed hazelnuts and a trace of caramel. There's no fruit as yet; just a warm, golden nuttiness.

Next stages and dry down - There's not a huge amount of throw, and the blend stays close to the skin. There's a tiny waft of tart fruit, but the lovely hazelnut note stays dominant.

If you like this, try - Gluttony, Hellcat

Frimp from a forumite :D I was back and forth on whether to try it when it was out, so here's my chance.

In the imp - hazelnut and caramel - mmmh! Not the sticky, sweet caramel that overpowers everything, just a trace amount . . . I want to swallow this.

On wet - More hazelnut, more caramel, honey. I love this. It's foody without being cloyingly sweet. Can't stop sniffing my wrist!

Drydown - a hint of tart berries but mostly still hazelnut and honey, with a hint of hay. Gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous. Keeping the decant :D

The berry note explodes on my skin.. it's pretty much all I can smell, with a faint hint of hazelnut. In the imp something about this reminded me of the smell of a friends apt, which I think comes from her chinchilla cage.. the hay maybe? although I'm very familiar with hay I've never really be able to identify this smell-- but here it is :huh: It's not bad, but it's kinda a.. hmm flat smell, I guess that makes sense since that's how I think of the taste of nuts: flat and thick. Not really my thing -_-

Whoa foody. I don't have much experience with the lab's foody scents, and if this food-lite one is anything to go by, I won't have much more. Sleipnir is a very rich hazelnut, if I hold it closer to my nose, I get honey as well. Probably a better one to wear when you're feeling hungry – I had some Tim Tams earlier, and this is a bit too much. Wearing it in a scent locket atm, although it's pretty much the same on my skin from previous tests. The throw and wear length is better in the locket, too.

In the vial – Creamy and nutty and sweet.

On the skin – The same as in the vial, but the hazelnut firms up, sharpens. Smells delicious!

Dry – The hazelnut fades just a bit and sweet berries come to the front. So lovely! I’m saddened that it fades so fast on my skin. I think I need to search out a bottle anyway. :D

Such a nutty blend! Not in the wacky way, but in the actual nom nom nut way. Hay and berries and creamy hazelnuts. This is a really fun blend and I'm glad I got to give it a little test, but it's time to set this one free!

I received an imp free and I actually liked it more then the bottle and other imps I ordered. This reminds me of my childhood at our horse farm in the winter when life was so warm and blueberry muffins were baking in the house. It is absolutely perfect.

I admit, I got really excited when I saw there was a scent called Sleipnir. Maybe I was already predisposed to like this scent?

At first sniff, there's something there that kind of reminds me of the smell of buttered popcorn. Not like cheap microwave popcorn, but the kind my friend used to make over the stove. Yeah, it's weird, and probably just me, but I had to mention it.

Aside from that association, this scent is buttery, nutty onmonnom delicious! But it's not entirely foody. I think the hay kind of mellows it out, and as it dries the berries come out. I don't get a lot of honey from this, I think it's just kind of blending with the other scents giving Sleipnir an overall well rounded delicious feel. I love it!

I received a half bottle of this from an awesome person on LJ.

This is a really interesting blend! Slightly sweet hay, dried berries and a warm nuttiness to it. It's different and I quite like that.

I was worried about the hazelnut in this, but I realized I have had a decant for a while and haven't tried it, so I'm giving it a shot.

Wet- I definitely smell the hazelnut, but so far it's tamed by the fresh smell of hay and not too sweet berries. It's hard to tell how these notes are going to blend together; it's an odd combination. I can't pick out the honey, except that the hazelnuts seems a bit sweeter than usual.

As it dries, there is a sharp, bitter note coming out that doesn't make my sinuses happy. I think the hazelnut may be turning to dust. (I hate that my skin turns scents I would love into terrible smells.) The berries disappeared and then returned. They are quite nice, not juicy but definitely dried berries.

This is so close to working for me, but hazelnut remains a death note on my skin. I keep hoping it will work in the right blend, but it turns to very strong dust every time. :(

Imp: Nutty note with tart berries.

Wet: Hazelnuts alright. Reminds me very much of the nutty pumpkin note of the Lab. Cannot detect any hay or carrots. Mostly nuts with a berry undertone.

Dry: Nuts with sour berries. Reminds me of Pumpkin Queen due to the sharp citrus fruits mixed with nutty pumpkin and Pumpkin Patch 3 because of the pomegranate that are similar to the fruity tart berries in this scent. Smells sort of.. soapy, waxy and like a scented candle on the dry-down. I am a bit sad because I had hoped there would be more hay and carrot in Sleipnir. :( I have to agree this is all sweet grains on me - boo! I had expected something similar to Hellcat.

This one is so cozy!

Wet, it starts off with some nice fluffy hazelnut and gradually dries into a peaceful, slightly foody, warm aura. The berries remain faint the whole way through, and I don't catch the carrot. On me, the hay is a background scent that provides more texture than anything.

The staying power is weak. It was fading after three hours and there wasn't a trace of fragrance after six.

All in all, a very pleasant, happy scent that's calming and enveloping. If it lasted longer, I'd consider seeking out more.

In the decant: Dessert-like, sweet honey-hazelnut. Little bit of berries, but in the imp they're pretty faint.

The berries start to come out more on my skin. This is reminding me a lot of Halfling, actually, but with a bit more berry. In fact, this makes me think of a halfling more than Halfling. o_o This is a little too sweet and foody for everyday wear for me, but I think I will be holding onto my decant for possible gaming sessions if I ever make a halfling. XD

Just got a 2009 bottle from bidding on it. I tried it and the hazelnut is definitely the strongest note on me, followed then by a bit of honey and hay. The other scents seem to take a backseat to the warmth of the hazelnut, which reminds me of a long forgotten lotion I used to have as a kid. But sadly, it's not very strong on me. It lingers, but it's very faint. I love it as a comfort scent when up real close (like sniffing your hand close). But it doesn't have the staying power for my body chemistry.

Maybe it just needs to be slathered on more? I wonder if there's a way to enhance the hazelnut and keep it strong though? :think:

Edited by Mergekat

In the bottle - Biscuity notes and sweet fruity honey

Wet on me - Again biscuity and fruity, the fruit taking on a soft, almost herbal aspect

Dry on me - A fresh green fruity scent, more springlike than I expected

Overall - A fresh, bright refreshing scent, tart but not at all harsh

In Bottle: Hazelnut dominant. I will be honest that I have no idea what bilberries smell like and am vague on elderberries, not being found of gin, so I can not tell you which is which here. I’m just going to refer to them collectively as berries. The berries are second strongest, with carrot and honey support and blend in a lovely and interesting fashion with hazelnuts. The hay is a soft canvass that shows off the stronger elements to advantage. I was skeptical of this blend when I read the description, but it came in a swap and I am now pleasantly surprised. Wet: Oh man, this is rich and unusual. I admit that these are not the berries I’d have picked for this. (I’m blaming the elderberries as I’m pretty sure they are the issue, though grain of salt here. One of the berries is a little too ginlike, while the other pleases my nose). The slightly off edge is not enough to put me off and they are a beautiful dominant note complimented by the carrot and honey support and the more delicate hazelnut, which is doing a lovely dance with the more delicate hay. This is gorgeous and unusual and a clever way of expressing the concept. Dry: Delicious what I think are bilberries and honey.

I've mentioned in other reviews that the hay note BPAL uses really bugs my nose and takes over some scents and sadly that's what happen here. But let me share my other thoughts too...

In the bottle: carrot cake with hay

Wet: hay over light carrot cake (which that note would amp more and not the hay). I also get a little bit of hazelnut too. But its fleeting.

Drydown: Now the berries come out but they are more herbal berries and not sweet. The carrot cake note is totally gone and that pesky hay note is still there and won't go away. Darn! :(

One of my oldest BPALs.  In the bottle: Cherry Vicks Cough Syrup. Really. I was nervous when I put it on. On, wet: Almost instantly explodes into a sort of fresh cracked nuts. sweet dried berries, and a hay/oat note. Drydown: Long, and morphy. Becomes a damp hay/oat note, really not gourmand. I love how this has aged!.