Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
AmandaArcana

Barmbrack Atmosphere Spray

An Irish Halloween tradition! This fruit bread is used as a method of divination: a medallion of the Virgin Mary, a sliver of rag, a pea, a coin, a stick, and a ring are baked into the pastry. On Halloween night, it is cut up and served to the household. If you received the stick, you would spend the next year in conflict…

if you received the medallion, you would be called to the priesthood…
if you received the rag, you would be plagued with misfortune…
if you received the ring, you would be married within the year…
if you received the pea, you would not marry within the year…

Each bottle of Barmbrack spray comes with a toy coin and a wish for your good fortune in 2010!

Oh wow! First to review!
It smells like really good sweetbread with a touch of cinnamon and dried fruit. Foodies rejoyce! However in my place it tends to dissapate and is not so strong.
Also mine came with a pirate coin and a jack-o-lantern yoyo, fun.

ah, now this is some good stuff!

i love fruitcake. really, really love fruitcake. the cheap kind you get in a brick at the grocery store or the homemade kind that's rarely seen these days - i love it all.

and this smells like the Panettone a family friend used to make when i was teeny-tiny-little. (she's the lady who taught me to appreciate cheeses and to not be ashamed to drink red wine ice cold, too)

but there's a touch of something that reminds me of crystal clear water, too. or maybe crisp night air?

it does smell faintly like the "Fruitcake" frimp from a couple of years ago, to me. but that was all booze and almonds and a little candied fruit - this is sweet bread with dried fruits and either cherries or almonds (which smell the same to me).

overall? i like it. i might order a second bottle.

Yup, Barmbrack is bread and dried fruits. It reminds me quite a bit of Yule Kage/Julekage--a bread with cardamom, raisins, and candied fruit. Yummy!

Barmbrack smells like a mix of candied cherries, tart lemon, and lightly spiced bread dough with maybe a bit of caramel sauce to me. It's not really sweet or very spicy, though, it's mostly fruity. My husband didn't like this one and said it smelled too tart and lemony to him. After several hours on some pillows, I think that it smells really nice and wish that it weren't so light. It leaves a soft, spiced bread & hint of fruit smell on the pillows.

ETA: After giving this some time to settle, it smells more like spiced bread and caramel sauce with hints of candied cherries. It's much nicer and even my husband likes it now that it's lost its weird lemony tones. It's also a lot stronger now too. It's still the most subtle of the bptp room sprays that I own, but a couple spritzes is certainly enough to scent the entire livingroom rather strongly for the entire day (in fact, I oversprayed this the other day and it was really overwhelming).

I'm glad to have a bottle of this :smilenod:.

Edited by Little Bird

I'm fascinated by the other reviews because I don't get any lemon or 'lightness' out of this at all, and I frickin' LOVE IT. This is a scent I would never, ever wear because it's mainly foody but I'm thrilled to have it as a room spray because it's so perfect for Halloween.. And everyone knows it's Halloween every day at my place. :lol: This comes across as a very 'golden' smell, a fruity bread with fragrant spices. As with most atmospheric sprays, this has superior throw and staying power. :yum:

This spray reminds me of a cross between stollen and the very rich, very dark, very moist fruitcake that was sold at Whole Foods last winter holiday season. (I hope that they bring it back.) I love this, and although it's not quite like my frimp of Fruitcake, it does make the room smell very very good. :)

I love this spray. It is the smell of a bready type of cake, with a touch of cinnamon, and dried fruit.

There is a bottle in my near future.

Oehhhh....this smells amazing! Yummy baked goods, excellent for a room spray :yum:

This is a good room spray although there is something in it that makes the back of my throat itchy, maybe the bready part of the scent. Anyway, it has a great fruit bread scent that is rather light but definitely stays around.

I got some of this courtesy of the fantastic Dark Alice. :wub2: For a while after spraying this, I kept sniffing the air like a maniac, trying to figure out where on earth I'd smelled it before. Then I realized... it's like a room spray of Mother Shub's Pfancy Pfefferneusse! :thud: It's foodie and sweet and OM NOM NOM good.

Quick, someone convince me I can't bathe in this.

Oh. My. God.

Ended up being the first and only bidder on this for an eBay auction, got it without having sniffed it.

This. Is. Gorgeous. Smells like wonderful baking fruity pastries, just this wonderful warm comforting scent that I just want to roll around in until further notice. Definitely going with me to Japan, quickly shooting into my top 10, and may need to start looking for a backup of this.

(Also, sirensea, you can bathe in it, just smother your sheets in it and roll around in 'em for a bit. Works like a charm.)

Barmbrack is a good solid fall baked goods blend. It is gingerbread-like, in that it is spices and baked goods, but doesn't quite feel like a gingerbread.

It's sweet, spicy and toothsome. It smells like a house baking in the Fall. Definitely very Autumn-like.

Barmbrack smells like a bread made with yeast studded with raisins. It starts off super bready and yeast-y, but it becomes sweeter and spicier over time, although the spices never take over.

This would be wonderful to spray around in autumn and winter. You could convince someone you just made some fresh bread by spraying this. :P