Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pumpkin, chocolate, coffee bean, vanilla bean, and hazelnut

I wore this yesterday, it was yummy. The pumpkin and hazelnut were prominent at first, then it dried down to a very spicey, cinnamony/clove smell...

ETA description Edited by Molls

Holy crap I love this! The coffee and pumpkin smell amazing together and its making me hungry sniffing my arm. This was total win for me!

Pumpkin in thebottle with chocolate

I am having a tough time smelling the coffee but love it anyway

fortunately didn't get much cinnamon

this is lucscious

and even with da evil sinus infection creeping crud this is a multiple bottle kindascent

after the creepycrud goes away will give it another slather

Edited by carwoman

In the bottle- I'm still new at picking out scents, but I'd say it smells just like the description, and absolutely yummy to boot. I had a fear that once it was on me I'd have to go have some dessert, it made me so hungry for seasonal treats. Sweet but not cloying at all.

On skin: Within minutes, I'm getting cinnamon in the mix, and it's taking over. I know cinnamon's not listed, but I sniff my wrist and there it is, not even a warm swirl but more like a dry, sharp RED HOTS omg.

After about an hour and a half the cinnamon died down a little and let me smell the rest of it, but it some of the yumminess had gone to bitterness, bitter coffee, dark bitter chocolate, bitter nuts. I may have gotten a whiff of apple at some point, making it a much more agreeable 'hot cider' but that happened while I was outside so for all I know I actually WAS smelling the neighbor's hot cider, or windfall apples in the sun.

This had average throw, but slightly below-average staying power on me. On the plus side, now that it's been several hours, I'm mostly getting a very nice chocolate with a hint of hazelnut, coffee, pumpkin and vanilla. Quite sweet, but I mean I'm plastering my nose against my wrist and it's still pretty faint. The cinnamon is gone though....

I've only got an imp, so I'll definitely be able to use it in various oil heaters round the house, over the coming Christoween season, it'll be nice and cozy and delish there. Very appropriate to my seasonal associations for the next few months.

Wow this has a lot of throw on me!

I put it just a little on and I keep getting strong whiffs of sweet pumpkin chocolate coffee. I'm not getting the Starbucks Pumpkin Latte association others described, the pumpkin latte scent for me is softer, spicier and creamier smelling, I'm getting a stronger coffee scent from Pumpkin V, no hazelnut though.

I really like it and it's nice to have such a strong scent because I can dab just a little bit on and my bottle will end up lasting awhile.

This is awesome. In the imp, it's mostly delicious toasty hazelnuts and coffee, and on me...hmm, the chocolate and vanilla poke their heads out a little bit, although I don't think the pumpkin does. Still mostly hazelnuts and coffee, but it's a very true scent imitation of both of those things. Like in Dia de Reyes, it somehow manages to smell like a hot beverage, like you can almost feel the steam coming off of it. It's the kind of coffee drink that, if something like it were served at my local coffee house, I would order it every time. ^_^

And damn, this sucker LASTS. I put it on in the afternoon, just a little swipe from the imp on each wrist, and the following morning I still smelled a bit of hazelnut and vanilla on me. That's good stuff.

WHOA spice!

When first applying that is all I get. Just spice. As it settles, there is the really yummy pumpkin. And with it comes a bit of vanilla bean. It does remind me of a pumpkin coffee drink. I like it a lot. Just not on me.

Wow, yum. This makes me want to run to Starbucks for a Pumpkin Spice latte - initially, there isn't a whole lot of pumpkin, mostly just nutty coffee, but it starts picking up pretty quickly and ... no, this isn't something I can wear, sadly. I think it's the hazelnut that makes it turn weird, and it's actually giving me a headache now....

My favorite of this year’s pumpkin patch, it smells just like a pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks. This is a lovely pumpkin note, spicy rather than buttery, and the coffee note is rich and strong. Even though I rarely drink coffee, I love BPAL coffee blends for some reason! I can’t really detect any of the other notes listed, but the pumpkin and coffee are enough for me to love it.

I love this, I suspect I'll be wearing it all winter!

It starts as a really heavy, dry spice scent - cinnamon and clove. Rather overpowering especially from up close. Then as it dries it starts to waft off a delicious baking scent - the spices more mellow, the vanilla and hazelnut and pumpkin come out. I'm not getting the chocolate, but the scent that comes off (the heavy spice scent sticks close to the skin - if I press my nose against it then I'm still getting that) is amazingly like speculaas (Dutch spice cookies) baking. Yum.

rkold is right--this really does smell like the Starbucks pumpkin spice latte in all its creamy pumpkin goodness :wub2: The pumpkin and coffee come to the forefront first, and on the drydown the hazelnut seamlessly blends with the coffee for added nuttiness. I couldn't pick out any chocolate specificially, but I'm guessing it was what added richness and depth to the coffee and hazelnut, while the vanilla acted as the sweet froth on top and tempered the spices. Delish!

I really, really wanted this to work. Pumpkin scents rarely do for me, but I had hopes since this one did not smell like cloying buttered fail in the bottle like so many of them do.

I love pumpkin spice lattes, and at first I got a lot of warm chocolate and spice and coffee. But there is SOMETHING in this, lurking SOMEWHERE, that I just don't like. The throw is great, but when I huff my wrist there's this weird acrid tinge to what is otherwise a delicious warm foody smell. I am disappointed!

I love this. It is extremely foody - my husband said it smelled like cinnamon rolls after I slathered on more than I intended. One of my coworkers thought it smelled like cinnamon rolls and the other thought it smelled like maple. They both liked it, though. I bought this based on reviews saying that it smelled like a Pumpkin Spice Latte - I didn't get that, but it is definitely a very food, very sweet, and very delicious scent.

In the bottle: pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon and coffee.

On wet: CINNAMON holy cinnamon, caramel and coffee with a tinge of pumpkin.

Dry down: cinnamon, caramel coffee and a tad bit of pumpkin.

I love this! It's very autumn-appropriate and lovely. Apparently there's not supposed to be any cinnamon in this blend but I really do smell it. When I first started wearing it, my coworker asked if I was drinking caramel coffee. The pumpkin isn't as apparent as the scent dries, but it's still quite nice! <3!

I'm trying to type this with my wrist plastered to my nose, it's that good. It's coffee and hazelnut and pumpkin and so fabulously delicious that it may be the first scent that I've needed more than one bottle of. *huffs wrist again* :yum:

I bought a bottle of this unsniffed and was a little worried when I first put it on by the strong smell of red hots melted into black coffee. I soon realized it was an almost perfect scent to wear to work.

For the first 20 minutes or so it is all "wake up, Wake Up, WAKE UP!!" with the coffee and cinnamon. It is very energizing. But by the time I get to work, it has mellowed into a sweet, creamy scent; something like french toast and coffee. It lasts quite a long time on me as well.

However, I wore it 3 days in a row and the sweetness started to get cloying. I guess that means I need to expand my collection to different types of scents!

This is a lovely blend even if I'm not getting quite what I expected. I got pumpkin, coffee and spices in the bottle, but as soon as it's on my skin it turns to gingerbread. Bizarrely I'm not amping the vanilla the way I normally do, and there's no sign of coffee, chocolate or hazelnut. Maybe a hint of pumpkin, but it's pretty much gingerbread on me. Yummy, even if nothing like the description.

EDIT: After 9 hours the coffee and hazelnut finally appeared.

Edited by ElectraV

I'll say right off that I like to drink coffee, but not smell like it, but since this has a coffee bean scent in it, now that I have finally located the decant, I thought that I would try this, and also because I want to know what the hazelnut note is like, since it doesn't get used very much.

In the imp: Lots of coffee, just what I was afraid of.

Wet: Still coffee, but the beginnings of being slightly tempered by the other notes. The chocolate and the vanilla are present, but I have no clue where the pumpkin or hazelnut is.

The dry-down: Wish I was getting that pumpkin spice latte scent that others have gotten, but, alas, it's not to be. This is more like a plain cup of joe that someone has put in some of the chocolate and the vanilla from the shakers. I just amp coffee, and that's that. It does smell good, though. Ah, there's a hint of pumpkin, now, but faint, as though I wandered into a kitchen where someone had baked pumpkin bread the day before.

In the vial: Pumpkin and coffee. The pumpkin is warm and spiced, more savory than sweet and not at all buttery. The coffee is mellow but quite distinct. Comparisons to a pumpkin spice latte are apt.

On me: A pumpkin spice mocha. The Patch pumpkin note is divine, savory and dry, warm and golden. The hazelnut and vanilla cut down on some of the dry gourdiness, making it a bit lighter and sweeter. And the rest of the blend reminds me a lot of El Dia de Reyes: a powdery combination of coffee, milk, and cocoa. This is a foody scent, a wonderful warm pumpkin spice mocha, but it has a distinctly powdery texture (which I think is lovely) and the pumpkin and coffee keep it savory and grounded. Scent-color is flaxen (a creamy, pale, orange-yellow); throw and wear-length are moderate.

Verdict: Pumpkin Patch V is El Dia de Reyes (2008) meeting his new best friend, pumpkin. I wouldn't have expected the blend to be so powdery, but it has a lot of El Dia de Reyes's powdered milk/cocoa mix dryness. That's not a bad thing, though—it meshes well with the dry spiciness of the pumpkin, and the vanilla and hazelnut keep the powderiness under control. And Pumpkin Patch V is simply beautiful. Comforting, warm, foody but tempered, this is my favorite of this year's Halloweenies and I'm thrilled that I have a bottle.

Spicy pumpkin latte with dark cocoa. There's cinnamon here! Yum! I can't detect the hazelnut or vanilla (yet)... BPAL chocolate often goes plasticky on me, but this is pure, gorgeously dusty cocoa, no plastic in sight. Perfection.

The coffee note is subtle and not at all stale or bad.

I wibble about a bottle of this because I am not sure if I will reach for it very often, but... it's so warming and comforting. A little goes a long way, amazing lasting power!

I can only dream of how amazing this will be when aged!

:wub:

Edited by obsidienne

This unexpectedly started off classic Big-red-gum-cinnamon on me, and that stayed the dominant note for about an hour. It calmed down into a spicy smooth hazelnut mocha latte with vanilla syrup, but pumpkin is notable in its absence. Four hours later, when the scent is almost gone, I think I'm getting a whiff of it but it's definitely not the presence I expected.

In conclusion, not for me- I don't like the cinnamon when it's fresh, and after a few hours god it's making me hungry- but I plan to pass it along to a friend anyways, so hopefully she'll have better luck with it.

• If this oil had a color, it would be a a reddish brown.
  • The first note while drying is cinnamon sprinkled coffee beans.
  • The rest of the notes, in order is chocolate, and vanilla. The other notes haven't shown up yet.
  • Dry, it smells much more dark, like the coffee beans have been cooking for awhile. It might also be a bitter dark chocolate helping with the above stated effect too. There is a slight vanilla undertone, keeping it closer to a food type of scent, but surprisingly this is pretty wearable. The coffee smell is unbelievable realistic. Unfortunately the cinnamon almost drowns it out. Almost. Too bad there was no pumpkin or hazelnut to speak of.
  • The scent made me feel calm. Like that feeling you have right before you take your first sip of hot coffee in the morning. My husband attributed the scent to cinnamon buns, and then later, cinnamon toast crunch - so there you have it.
  • This lasts for about three hours, and fades for at least five hours.
  • The throw was the strongest I've encountered so far. People constantly comment on it every time I wear it out, even if they're no where near me.
  • Verdict: I bought this bottle unsniffed, hoping it would be right up my alley. When I first received my package, I opened it up and put it on immediately - it smelled *so* bad. Now that it has mellowed out, this is lovely - and is a great coffee scent that I will be keeping for myself. :)

When I first heard that this smelled just like Starbuck's Pumpkin Spice Latte, I absolutely had to order a whole bottle. I was not disappointed! It smells wonderful, with a lovely mix of chocolate and pumpkin and coffee and cream. There was really only one downside...for my dog, anyway. He kept smelling food on me, so he'd wander over and lick my wrists. Unfortunately, perfume oil does not taste as good as it smells! XD

in the bottle, this oil was exactly what i had expected: pumpkin latte all the way. :yum:

once wet and on dry down, it became overwhelmingly cinnamon-pumpkin on me, heavy on the cinnamon. i know it's not listed in the notes, but it's there just the same.

the throw is VERY strong, and the staying power is astounding.

too bad it became far too overwhelming for me :(

Guy review

I get an overwhelmingly strong pumpkin, immediately and irrevocably. Pumpkin so strong it's drunk. Seriously, this is has the strongest throw I have ever encountered in a bpal. It left an oily smear on my hand that is not going away.

What I perceive is strong, ripe pumpkin liqueur and cinnamon. I am thinking that the pump + coffee + chocolate combo does this, with maybe the hint of vanilla to mellow & sweeten it out a bit. I can't understand where the sense of cinnamon comes from!

Usually that alcoholic edge dies away on the drydown, but here it does not. So all in all it is to me exactly this: double espresso latte with extra squirts of pumpkin syrup and a nip from the flask poured in for good measure.

I think I like it. For a guy this is a very wearable but noticeable scent, and the New Yorkers will know its smell!