Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
autumn24

Alice

Curiouser and curiouser. Milk and honey with rose, carnation and bergamot.

alice made me smell like old lady. i smelled carnation at first, then as usual my skin amped up the rose. but i had another oil testing on my other hand, so i may give alice another spin since i bought 10ml of her :P

Hooray! In the imp, I get the powdery spice of the carnation, and that's about it. On, I get the milk and honey coming about to balance the carnation, but no rose. :P As it dries, the carnation wears off and the sweet honey comes to the forefront, but it's a very different honey than in O, which I find a little quease-inducing. The milk and honey suit the innocent girl in the blue dress, while the carnation is definitely someone who goes down holes she shouldn't!

In the bottle: Lovely creamy rose and carnation

Wet: Mmmm carnation spice

Drydown: Still spicy carnation, with a little bit of creamyness showing up.

Dry: Smells almost like cake on me. Like yellow cake out of the oven.

Sadly, I don't get any rose from this, mainly carnation, bergamot and a yummy cakey scent that lasts for hours.

Alice smells so lovely, soft, creamy but a little spicy, but it seems to evaporate within minutes of hitting my skin! If there is anything I can do to extend the wear of this scent, I will do it, because I LOVE it! It's not as sweet as Dana O'Shee and not as sharp as Sudha Segara... of all the milk blends I've tried, this is the surprise winner.

In the Bottle: My first impression was sort of spicy, and then sort of sweet. I can definitely smell the milk and honey, as well as carnation that adds that spiceyness. Very Alice, sort of precocious and thoughtful. Innocent, but not completely so. It reminds me of a know-it-all little girl. Sadly, am not getting very much rose.

On wet: All milk and honey and sweet. Very sweet and creamy, though at first my skin seemed to take it all in and I couldnt smell it at all!

Drydown: I could start to smell it finally. Became quite powdery... all creamy with that floral hint of roses and carnation. I was really loving it at this point. It wasnt too sweet, just right. It almost reminded me of my great grandmothers face powder that I used to steal from her as a little girl but mixed in with that touch of honey to make it just right!

Dry: It is all very sweet now. The honey is extremely predominant and gives it a very yummy smell. The rose helps calm it down, and I can hint the carnation. It seems now the longer it sits, the sweeter it is becoming and that creamy milk smell is sort of a backdrop. It reminds me of a little girl in new pressed dress, sitting down to tea and cookies. Sort of clean and sweet all at once. If I smell it at certain times though, it does have that old lady floral smell. Which I hope will go away. :P Now, finally, I seem to just smell like hotel soap. I cant decide if this is bad or good.

Final thoughts: Im torn! I really love this. It seems to skip between being something so completely perfect or otherwise smelling too old lady for me. However, I think I will keep it. It is so sweet and innocent, I cant help but adore it.

Alice is pure pink little-girl pubescence.

On first application I get a lot of spicy carnation sweetened by the rose and honey (presumably also mellowed slightly by the milk).

Over a short time this blends together into something quite powdery-rose, light and pleasant, though floral and innocent enough that I wonder when I'll wear it.

It's almost impossible to smell this after only an hour or so... not sure whether I'll be keeping Alice around.

Alice is a pretty little scent! Her rose is not too strong, the carnation is not too spicy, the milk and honey are not cloyingly sweet, and the bergamot? I can't really smell that. My skin chemistry usually amps rose like no tomorrow, but in this blend, it is really subdued. It's like one of those miniature pink roses, not too strong, kissed with dew. Sometimes this blend has tendency to smell like potpourri on me, but usually it behaves and smells nice. It's a pretty in pink scent and I like it alot.

Carnation, roses, honey, and milk are all high on my list of favorite notes so I guess it isn't surprising that I love this. In the bottle this smells like sweet carnation. Wet on the skin it still screams CARNATION! I love carnations so this is fine, but then comes the drydown. At first the rose starts to pop out, and I love roses and carnations, YUM! Finally at about 15 to 20 minutes the honey and the milk emerge. I'm not sure when the bergamot comes out because I am not familiar with that note, but I'm guessing it's blended in with the other florals. I think I'm in love! This is positively the most delicate and beautiful scent. I MUST have a big bottle.

Auuuggghhh, the disappointment.

This went 100% Ivory soap on me. Wet, drying, full dry - no morph, just soap. I blame rose. Seems that I can wear blends with rose as the dominant note, but when it's there as a supporting scent - it gets angry at me and wonks out.

Off to swaps with her!

:P

Edited by Lit Chick

I was hoping for a more multi-dimensional scent from this one, but all I get is sweet vanilla cream, in all stages. I'll keep it, but probably try to layer it....maybe with Hope/Faith when they arrive.

Initially Alice was quite sweet and sharp. As it dried it became warmer, creamier and spicier with just a hint of sweetness. Very foody. It's a comforting scent, like being wrapped in a warm blanket on a cold day with a hot cup of milk and some gingersnap biscuits.

Unfortunately the spiciness became too dominant for my liking, possibly the carnation. It's a lovely scent but definitely not for me.

Alice is sweet and milky.

It reminds me of when I was a little girl, and, after church, was allowed to start drinking tea. It was milky and weak and, of course, I heaped in spoonfuls of sugar (something I hate in my tea, now, strangely enough). That's what this oil reminds me of, except more fantastic, and I mean that in both senses of the word.

It's all angelic blonde curls and white lace dresses with a pink silk sash.

Wow, 14 pages of reviews, Alice must be a favorite! So I finally got around to trying Alice myself -- initially on the skin, it's milky and floral, pleasant in an innocent, girlish sort of way. Then, the damn rose kicks in and amps insanely. It's amazing how rose can take over a scent on my skin chemistry, but it does. After a couple of hours, the rose finally wears off, and I get more of the milky vanilla scent with the spice of the carnation. That is really, really pretty. If you're a person who can hold the balance of the scent, this would be lovely, I am certain.

Wet: Spicy baby powder.

Dry: Creamy floral baby powder; still slightly spicy.

Dry, 3 hours later: spicy baby powder again.

I can definitely smell the florals in this, but can't separate the rose or carnation. It's not sharp, but creamy. I assume this is the milk note making it so.

I get no bergamot at all from this, and the honey I'm not sure about. There is a general sweetness about this blend though.

I have to say, this isn't my type of scent, as I hate florals, in particular rose. But the fact that I didn't have to scrub it off is a testament to how well this is blended. Usually florals give me headaches, but Alice did not.

The structure of this is kind of what I go for, foody, but with an edge. It's just that the particular notes in this aren't my thing. This is a very girly scent, it just doesn't embody my fragrance personality.

Foreword: I've had my bottle of Alice for at least a year and a half now, and woe unto me, I've never reviewed her. (Actually, I've gone through a 5ml and I'm working on my 10ml now - long after the 10ml size has been discontinued. Bad BPALer, bad!)

Needless to say, she's one of my favourites from the GC.

In the bottle: Sweet, creamy carnation with a touch of tea.

Wet: Spiced tea, over a bed of white florals with a large dollop of sweet cream. The carnation really kicks up the spice in this blend, turning it into a balanced cross between floral and gourmand. It's difficult to define which side of the fence Alice plays - is she foody or is she floral? For the most part, on me, she's both.

Drydown: Much the same - lots of creamy, spiced tea underscored by the florals. Really brilliant blend, this, and as I said before, one of my top ten out of the GC. It manages to be light, soft, and a little playful at the same time.

5/5 on Medici's Scale o' Lurve

Why did I wait so long to try Alice? This is adorable!!! Alice starts off honey-sweet, slightly creamy bergamont. This recedes into the background and carnation and a hint of rose come forward. This is such a charming scent, not too strong, and youthful. I want to have a tea party right now.

ETA: Alice has become my favourite scent. :P

Edited by TheIceMaiden

I really like this scent. It started off as very much a honey smell, but later I could smell the rose and carnation over the honey. A sweet, delicate scent, and one which I definitely need a bottle of.

This is stunning in the same way that Endymion and Fae are to me – subtle, gentle, wonderfully inobtrusive everyday scents, or something I might like to wear to bed, at the end of a hard day. I can smell the rose, carnation and bergamot. I think the carnation made it go all violet-like on me and powdery. The staying power was quite short – on me, about two hours.

Ok, I finally get it!

I first tried Alice early 2005, and she was strong almond, followed by creamy milk and honey. Not a hint of carnation. Quite nice, but the milk and honey was too sweet and foody for me. So I gave her away.

Since then, I've seen many many references to Alice being carnation bliss, so when the lab very kindly frimped me another one about three months ago, I thought I'd give her another go.

Oh boy, am I glad I did. Still a bit almond and cream at first, but then the carnation comes through wonderfully, the edges gently softened by a slight touch of milk and honey. Not foody this time, but spicy and lovely, and she wafts beautifully. So I bit the bullet and bought a bottle, hoping that I'd get a carnation Alice rather than a foody one...

And she arrived today, and hooray, carnation Alice! She's wafting up from my arm as I type. I've adored carnation ever since I first smelt Lush's Potion, but until now none of Beth's carnation scents have had any carnation detectable by my nose, so I'd given up on finding a carnation scent. But now I have Alice :P

Edited by Nisaba

Imp: sweet, like candy, a hint of spice, and I think I'm getting the carnation too

Wet: the carnation and rose are really mellow, I get a lovely honey thing happening

and bloated sweetness

Dry: honey really comes out and it's quite nice, not as syrupy anymore. It's more tollerable in this state and the boy seems to like it.

Final Thoughts: Alice doesn't have me quite convinced. I do get a little girl feeling for it, but after Frank Beddor's Alice, I am feeling differently about Alice. It's pretty for sure, and I think I'll she stick around for some more tests.

Oh, my good goddess! This oil is delightful! It's a light scent, but with great throw. As I sit here typing I can smell it wafting from the little spot I put on my wrist. When first applied I get the cupcake smell I hear from the other reviewers here and then it just sort of melts into my skin and becomes a fruity floral smell where so far the rose doesn't overpower on my skin. Which is a blessing since usually rose turns bad on my skin.

ETA: Alice IS a curious scent! I've put it on all over and it turns into different scents each time - sometimes it's foody, other times it's floral like. When I put it in my hair, though, it turns into what I imagine those little buttercream frosting roses would smell like if they were actually rose scented! And that's my favorite version!!!!

Edited by eclecticaurora

This is such a pretty daytime fragrance. I wore it all today for the first time (I received a bottle unsniffed for my birthday last week) and I just loved it. I felt like a freshly scrubbed, pink cheeked little ingenue. It's just so dainty and soft.

This was so true to the description...all creamy milk and honey with just a breath of spicy carnation. Thank you carnation for staying quietly subtle for once! The milk must be toning it down quite a bit. The rose is very, very subtle too. I like to imagine it as being a light pink rose since it doesn't have the kind of intensity that I associate with deep red roses.

This never becomes powdery or musky, it just kind of fades away unobtrusively. Stays very close to my skin too.

:P

Bottle: I can smell the florals and a hint of almond. I'm a little hesitant, because my skin tends to make florals sickly and amp up almond so much that I can't smell anything else.

On Skin: Oh wow, this smells like the honey-milk my grandmother used to give me when I had coughing fits, sweet and creamy with a little spice peeking though to prevent it from becoming cloying.

Dry: My skin is soaking this up like crazy, so I'll probably make this into a spray so it has more staying power. Finally, a floral that doesn't make me smell like children!

AliceSS.jpg

Imp: sweet, yet spicy! Fortunately there's not a strong milk note, because lately that's been making me a little nauseous (blame a leaky bottle of Milk Moon). The honey and floral notes are very nice, and I do like carnation.

Wet: Still sweet and spicy. So far, so good. Well, so OK anyway.

Dry: Well, Alice didn't hang around very long, but she was pleasant while she was here. Still mostly sweet spice, but I never did get any rose from this blend, and I was really trying.

Verdict: I have a partial bottle I bought from a forumite, and will continue to use it occasionally, but I doubt I will get any more. This is a pleasant scent, but not 'great' on me and there are far too many blends yet to try to worry about a just OK one. Actually, I like my Alice icon better than the scent, as it works with my body chemistry!

Edited by stellans