Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lizzieborden

Jolly Roger

Sea spray with an undercurrent of leather, Bay Rum, and salty, dry woods.

In the bottle, this smelled sweet and salty. Mostly bay rum and seawater.

On my boyfriend it settles into PIRATE. This is a Jack Sparrow scent. It smells mostly like leather and salty woods on my boyfriend, but if you cram your nose right against his skin you can kind of note a coconutty bay rum. Yum :P

So, if you could tack an image onto this scent, it would be:

pirates_of_the_caribbean_jack_sparrow.jpg Edited by Shollin

In the imp, this was thin and sharp, without a lot of other elements... maybe a hint of leather?

It took a while to develop on me, but is in general a nice, sweetish bay rum, with the other notes mainly tickling the back of my nose but not otherwise very prominent.

Good, but not great.

This turned out to be a strongly soapy and aquatic scent on me, quite sharp. There is a hint of woodsy leather and rum sweetness but generally this is all mens soap on me.

The salty note is wonderful but it only emerges in the initial drydown and disappears quickly.

This one does an interesting morph on me.

Wet, it's all a spring meadow after a rain. There's water here, but it's all about grass and clover and growing things, not the sea at all. It smells fresh-washed.

As it dries down, a salty note comes out, but it's still salt spray with spring meadow. Dry, there is a note of young primroses and clover, under the salt spray. It's a gorgeous scent, but rather incongruous.

So I had my male friend try it, and it was even more interesting on him. "Jolly Roger? Are you sure they didn't mean Jolly Rancher?" It was all Jolly Rancher watermelon candy on him, at first. Then the salty smell came up, and we joked about watermelon salt water taffy, because it really stayed sweet and fruity on him, under the salt spray. Pleasant, but not what we would have expected.

Boy, does this one do interesting morphs, depending on your body chemistry.

I really couldn't place this one at any stage. It's fresh and clean, but tainted somehow. Very light, airy, and masculine, but I couldn't get anything else.

I decided it wasn't for me and the boy really didn't like it, but I think my male roommate will LOVE it, so I know it will have a good home. =)

I'm getting a lot of what I assume to be bay rum out of this. It's very, very nice.

I'm not getting much salt, but rather the scent of a beach, with a little fruitiness in the background (wonder where that's coming from...). It's very clean-smelling at the moment, though I've only had it on for about ten minutes. I'll update if it changes.

But I'm definitely buying a bottle.

For some reason, it's very nostalgic... hmm...

ETA: Two or three hours later, I can still smell it. It's closer to my skin, hasn't morphed a bit. Fantastic.

Edited by Alseides

for me Jolly Roger is at first very much like a solid air freshener from the 70s. But it becomes more like sweet sea air as it dries. It's pretty nice, but not quite the sea scent I'm looking for.

I tend to buy bottles based on the names of the scents and descriptions. I do pay attention to the ingredients too.

Well, I couldn't imagine a pirate smelling good (booze, sweat, open wounds), but I wanted to smell like one anyway because I was reading Under the Black Flag at the time and pirates are so cool! And judging from the notes, I thought it would smell great.

It arrived and I sniffed the oil in the bottle. I was taken back to the days when I was little and used to spend the last week of every summer with my father at Cape Cod.

Unfortunately, Jolly Roger does not sit well on me. It turns into a pungent odor of booze and BO as soon as I put it on--I smelled like a hobo! No offense, Beth, and this is in no way your fault. I blame it entirely on my body chemistry. I'm certain is smells cool and marine or sexy and swarthy on other people.

But I do miss those summers with my father. I think I'll go to the Cape with him again this year even though I'm not little anymore. We have a lot of catching up to do.

Edited by FlyingCoffin

Salt...that was my first thought on this... it smells like salt water... a mix between holy water and the smell of my clothing after a trip to the ocean... Reassuring... Its not much of a morpher and doesn't have much throw. I will have to have my man try it.

In the imp: Salty sea air, crisp and aquatic, over a bit of wood.

On: The leather deveops and the woods warm up, salt air wafting across them.

I love the bottle, and I love aquatic scents. But, I don't love leather or rum notes. It started off as a beautiful, light salty sea scent, but then the leather and rum amped up on my skin. Unfortunately, this is not a keeper for me!

Jolly Roger in the bottle: I get a very light and delicate rose. Salty in the background.

Wet: The rose is gone, I think I'm smelling a sweet, toned down leather. I still get salt but now I also can smell the ocean.

Dry: Something about this scent is strange to me. I think I'm getting sun block--not the coconut type though it's the "unscented" type. Also a hint of plastic tents.

Through a few hours: Reminds me of a facial lotion my mother used when I was younger. The scent became more feminine and slightly powdery on me.

Overall, Jolly Roger went through huge transformations. Sadly, none of its phases really appealed to me.

• In the bottle~ reminds me of sterling silverware long stored in a velvet lined box. Musty but elegant.
  • First 10 minutes- still musty, like being in a warm, damp hold of a boat. I'm connecting to the pirate thing here.
  • After 30 minutes - totally morphed into sweet, almost powdery scent. Am disappointed - no ocean, salt watery scent at all.
  • Interesting but not a favorite.

It does indead smell pleasantly of sea air. It is lighter than I expected, but pleasant enough and work friendly. The leather is subtle, but more prevalent over time. One of my favorites and blends well with Dorian to get something really decadent.

I was perplexed when I first smelled this imp from my recent order -- it was a frimp, as I'd never plan to pick it out for myself. I expected leather, but smelling the imp reminds me of fresh-cut grasses and, as someone upthread mentioned, clover. It's really pretty - and I never thought I'd like something described as smelling "grassy."

When I put it on I can definitely smell the aquatic sea spray notes coming out. There is a saltiness if I huff close to my skin, but it doesn't project enough for me to get wafts of it off of myself. Around the level of the "salty" there's also the "woodsy." But the throw is all light, sweet sea-breeze-and-clover-grass. I'm curious as to how this would smell on a boy... it doesn't strike me as particularly masculine.

I like Jolly Roger much more than I expected to, and I'll definitely hang on to the imp for the sake of diversifying my mostly sexy-heady-spicy BPAL cache. Everyone needs a little pirate in their life. :P

In the imp: Salty woods indeed! This smells very salty. :P The description for this is perfect, it really smells exactly like the notes listed.

On the wrist: The leather automatically perks up and begins to dominate, but not so much that the sweet wood scent is lost. This is very pleasant!

Drydown: Bummer, the leather ate everything else. :D This is a fabulous scent, but alas on me it morphs into pure leather and I have De Sade for that. Swaps.

This is the smell of the sea! It's very salty and delicious in a wild oceanic way. If I had a signature scent as a pirate maiden, this would be it. This scent is a little less aggressive than Calico Jack and Anne Bonny, but it is all ocean. I couldn't help loving the smell of salt on my skin. It made me so heartsick for the sea.

Initial impression:

Salt sea water and something sweeter... It's impossible to define.

First on:

Wet, it smells incredibly... green! Like grass and salt water. It's not the prickling green that I loathe, but I still hope it ”de-greens” a little soon.

Dry:

After about 10 mins, there's a salty scent of old wood, with something far spicier lurking in the background.

20-30 mins after application, it has gone a little more leathery, and maybe that's a tiny hint of rum in the background.

Finally:

I thought the rum and leather would be a lot stronger, so I'm a little disappointed, but I still like it. I'll keep it for the moment.

In the imp: Sea spray with a warm woody undertone.

On skin: I'm not usually a big fan of aquatics and I'm not expecting this one to be an exception to that. Fresh on, this definitely falls within the aquatics scent family. The initial strong burst of sea spray fades within a minute or so, and becomes softer, with woody notes coming through.

~10 minutes: A smooth aquatic with warm woody tones.

~30 minutes: Warm woods, perhaps a hint of the bay rum adding it's presense, with breezy aquatic notes blowing gently over the top. It's a nice blend, but not one that's to my tastes. It's too masculine for me, and just not a scent I feel a connection to. It might smell nice on my SO, but if he doesn't take a liking to it, then it'll be off to the swaps pile.

My skin amps the woodsy note in this to much. I get alot of cedar but like a wet old boat cedar. It surely very piratey only on me it more like one with a peg leg LOL. Swap pile.

Even before I open it I get a strong smell of salt and leather!

In the Imp:

Total sea spray! It's slightly sweet and salty and it smells completely like the ocean!

On:

Still sea spray, but it mellows. A bit of the leather comes out and every once in a while I get a whiff of pure salt

Dry:

Still sea spray! It doesn't seem to change much over time, but this is a perfect lazy-day-on-my-dread-ship-Revenge scent. It's like having no cares in the world, just laying out on deck in the sun.

Rating (out of 5):

This is what I imagine a pirate ship to smell like. Not the pirates, though. They would be stinky, minus Jack Sparrow, of course. Anyway, it's like a pirate ship without the pirates. It's smells like the sea, worn wood, and soft sun-bleached leather. It's very comforting to me, so I smeared it all over my stuffed animal for when I go to bed. It fits him perfectly because he is a stuffed sea lion.

...his name is Andre.

I love this and Anne Bonny! I'm such a pirate at heart!

in bottle: oooh, just like the description. I can imagine myself on the ocean right now.

wet: mmm... just like in the bottle!

dry down: still smells fantastic, esp with Anne Bonny on the other arm. Reminds me of Disneyland and the Pirates ride! I feel at home! :P

ETA:

The leather notes are very strong, but I find it adds a level of sexy to it. I want to try this on my boyfriend... also the bay rum adds a nice aftershave scent to it. It works wonderful on me, but I think it'll be even better on my bf.

Edited by DaikonEklectik

In the imp: Freshwater and wood. (Arrrrrr!)

Wet: Avast ye scurvy dogs! Wet woods. (Swab th’ deck! Hoist th’ anchor! Where’s me grog, wench?)

Drydown: Mostly dry woods. Rather faint, this blend likes to stick close to the skin once the aquatic note wears off. (Polish me timber!)