Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Blood Amber

Slivers of warm, pulsating blood forever crystallized in golden amber resin.

Fresh imp, received 5 October from lab
Applied to: hair (half up, most out) collarbones

In imp: Dragons Blood, but not purely, I guess the other little whiff was the Amber (I'm not overly familiar with Amber)

Wet: The same, but with some cinnamon

After a few minutes: More cinnamon

Drying: The dragons blood and cinnamon have evened out, but there is still a soft warmth from the amber

Dry: This is like a very toned down Wrath, where that screams at you, this is having a calm discussion, it is a lot more restrained. The cinnamon is still there, as is the dragons blood, but they have calmed down a lot, kind of like the amber has thrown a net over them both.

Throw: Average
Lasted: All day, but I had to sniff for it after 6 hrs or so.
Score: 4.5, I really like this one, I want a bottle.

It be what it be...dragon's blood and amber....sweet, dark, resiny...like a dark, golden aura. It is warm, sexy, inviting, and magical.

Edited by lookingglass

a review of Blood Amber

Vial ~ In the vial, it smells of Dragon's Blood, mmmm. But there is an

undertone of resin, ahh amber, two notes that are in my favorite top ten.

Wet ~ on my wrist it is less dragon's blood and more resin, the amber smells

so good.

Drying ~ As it dries I get a small bit of a soap scent, but it is not

overwhelming and the blend still smells fabulous.

Dry ~ The amber is taking over the dragon's blood is fading. There is no

longer any trace of soapiness to the scent either. The amber smells so

good, especially with the dragon's blood in the background.

Fade ~ Resins do well with my skin type and this scent is lasting pretty

long and has not died down very much, got to love a scent that has staying

power.

Final thoughts ~ This scent smells so good, it lives up to it's name, warm

amber with dragon's blood that makes a great daytime, feminine scent. On a scale of

1 to 5, I give it a 5.

In the bottle, I get a bit of that metallic scent of blood, and something else, which I guess is the amber.

On me, it sharpens, and I can't really discern any seperate scents... I'm not really sure what precisely I'm smelling. It's not very strong, though, and seems to be fading with every second, unfortunately, making it rather hard to pick out more than a light scent.

It faded too quickly on me, so I may swap it... though after reading the other reviews, maybe I'll give it another try.

Second time around:

I put a bit more on... this is definitely one that I need to use more of if I want to actually be able to smell it.

Wet, it was sharp, slightly metallic, but also spicy; I guess this was the amber I was smelling? It also smelled a tiny bit like cinnamon.

After drying down a few hours later, I can still smell it (I guess I used the right amount this time) and I like it. It's taken on a sort of mellow, incense-y scent, with a base smell that I find is familiar with other BPAL scents that I like, but, as with the others, has certain unique distinctions. Most of the metallic scent is gone, with only a very faint lingering remainder. It's a bit of a warmer, older sort of scent now.

Second time around, I like this much, much more, though I'm still a bit sad that, for whatever reason, it's so faint unless I use a lot. Ah, well. I think I shall be keeping my imp after all.

I seem to have no luck with Dragon's Blood; it just doesn't like me. When I sniffed the imp, it smelled so unpleasant (like paint thinner!) that I almost just closed it up and put it in the swap bin; but I was brave and put a bit on my skin. The acrid chemical smell toned down after 15 min or so and I was left with a faint golden glow like Aureus or Umbra, but it didn't last very long. Nope, not for me, not even slightly. A pity, because I love the idea of blood scents...

I can't explain it but Blood Amber is exactly not my usual style yet I love it. I keep going back to it. I've tried quite a few new scents these past few days and I still keep going back to Blood Amber to wear.

I normally don't like such musky scents but Blood Amber works. It's a sweet musk but not the same type of sweet musk that Yerevan smells like. It's not that sweet. Not sugary sweet but spicy sweet. It's amazing.

I'll have to get a 5ml. Especially since I'm probably going to use the imp up in no time at the rate I've been wearing it.

I was really excited about blood amber - I love dragons blood and I love amber - It shouldn't go wrong and I can't really say what did go wrong with it, it just didn't suit me at all. I might have to try it again just to make sure.

Like Darkness, this reminds me of my grandma. Not in a bad way. Flowers? I dunno, I suck at picking out notes.

-------

Boom! Strong! Is that the dragon's blood? Pretty. Sweet and flowery.

-------

It switches back and forth between dragon's blood and amber in the most interesting way...

Blood Amber:

In imp and wet, on skin: An explosion of flowers in a southern garden, in warm weather, right after a rain shower: yummy.

Drydown: WAH! This is all you'll get from me since my skin ate it up - nothing left after an hour and it was developing so nicely.

My first impression is that I really like the combination of slightly spicy floral (dragon's blood, on me) and amber. It might be a little too sweet, but I'm not sure yet.

As it dries, it sweetens a lot, and becomes just too sickly sweet and floral. I think the combination of sweet amber and sweet dragon's blood causes a saccharine explosion with my body chemistry. Eventually this goes really perfumey and soapy on me. :P

I'm excited to try this after hearing so many raves about it.

I can smell the amber right in the bottle

wet on skin: I can't smell anything! it is so faint.. what I smelled in the bottle. but so very faint I can't smell anything. hmm. weird.

oh, oh. it is a very deeep scent. for some reason I can only smell it with my left nostril and not my right. which is weird.

dry: it is so very sexy. I feel so sexy for some reason. the scent is so deep that I can only smell the undertones. there are no top notes to this at all. I put a lot on too! it's like a work out for my nose trying to smell it. I can smell the amber, and definitely the BPAL version on dragon's blood. but its so deep, its like my nose is digging into the scent trying to find it! I'll be keeping this one, it's lovely.

Amber and dragon's blood, all right. Amber smells like head shops to me, and this is that plus the fruity-floral burst of dragon's blood. The notes mix really, really well, though, and while this isn't the kind of scent I like to wear, I really enjoy it. It smelled "smokier" in the imp than odd my skin, oddly enough (it's usually the other way around) and the dragon's blood is more pronounced. Very very warm and not too deep or bold, this is a versatile but pretty scent. It hugs the skin.

Edited by luxuria

Yay for my first review!

In the bottle:

Sweet, a little medicinal.

Wet:

Sweet and lilac with cherries. Hmm, strange.

Dry down:

Mmm, soft, sweet, spicy cherries. It smells warm, sweet and red to me, like big, swelling berries of some ilk. I have yummy skin! The lilac mutated really fast, yay.

Later:

I’m getting a bit of a sickly undertone. But it’s not very prominent. I kept smelling it a bit whenever I woke up during the night and it would startle me. I guess I should only apply this in the morning!

Received in a swap.... :P

A preface: dragon's blood resin is iffy on me-- sometimes it's fine (Blood, Dragon's Bone), sometimes I can't get it off fast enough (Dragon's Blood). But cinnamon and amber? :D

In the vial: That weird transparent-sweet-spicy, almost watery, floral I get with dragon's blood, with a healthy sprinkling of cinnamon. It's got a perfumey-edge from the DB I'm not too thrilled about, but so far, it's not bad. I can't really smell the amber, but then, I've found I can't really smell amber in any blend, unless it's on my skin. There could be something else, a little high-pitched, above it... like a citrus. Then again, that may just be the brightness of the DB. The oil itself is certainly a very pretty orange-red.

Wet: That delicious, dust-dry cinnamon the Lab uses. This time, though, it's definitely tempered by the sweet, fruit-powdery floral of the dragon's blood. I only applied a small amount, but I'm still having to stick my nose right into my wrist to get any scent at all from this. Definitely a second-skin. There's a smidgen of amber in the background, making it extremely reminiscent of a much lighter, softer Sin. With no throw. *pout*

Dry: Less cinnamon, more dragon's blood and amber... a good deal sweeter now, too. It's very nice (what I can smell of it, anyway), but a little too "expensive"-smelling for my tastes. I like the heat, the spices, the amber.... but it's the dragon's blood that just doesn't quite gel with my personal style. Too high-pitched, and tangy, and watery-- not in an aquatic way, but weak, like it's been diluted. I'm on a kick with warm, red-smelling blends lately, and I'll probably hang on to this Imp... but I can guarantee I won't reach for it terribly often. It's a gorgeous, rich, sophisticated blend-- but it's really just not me.

This is almost all dragon's blood on me, but its like Dragon's Blood Lite. The amber is kicking in and making this smell like a very very sweet version of The Lion..

It seems to be triggering some sort of migraine today though. I'm not sure why, I can wear amber and I can wear dragon's blood.

In the imp: Dragon's Blood. No surprise there. Good thing me and DB are best buds.

Wet on skin: Dragon's blood. Almost pure Dragan's blood, but for a brief flash of something medicinal. It's gone though, and so far no trace of amber, but my skin really really likes Dragon's blood, so that might explain it.

Later: The drydown on this is gorgeous; decent throw, and a little reminsecent of Blood Moon on me for a bit, except not nearly as complex. Just a warm amber with a hint of spice and musk as the Dragon's Blood recedes to the background. Sexy and powerful. This would be great to wear for ritual work when you need the oomph of Dragon's blood and the confidence of a sex goddess :D

Big Bottle? Yeah, I think so :P

Edited by Inanna9

In the bottle: Ooh, how very red it is! A slightly bitter, woody and heady scent which seems familiar but that I can't name (I have no idea what amber or dragon's blood smell like)

Wet: The same as in the bottle, but warming up and sweetening. The bitterness seems to be going to the background. There's a slightly lemony and herbal hint to it. It's very smooth and subtle.

Drydown: A very smooth scent, with hints of cherry and flowers, but nothing very discernible. There's a slightly sharp and spicy base to it and hints of vanilla. Very warm and soft. There's something a bit dark in the background, like wood. Overall though it smells clean and quite comforting.

Overall: It's quite pretty, clean and spicy, but it's definitely not me - reminds me of a softer "Blood Pearl", which also didn't work on me. Doesn't attract me as a scent, although I love the red colour of the blend, it's just not "me".

Sweet and pleasant, a mellow Dragon's Blood scent. The oil is a lovely red color in the bottle. The scent isn't spectacular on me, but it's nice.

:P My reviews are for the BPAL for dummy's people out there! I don't claim to have a supersonic sense of smell but I'll give an honest opinion from the land of United Kingdom.

This is my first review of any BPAL scent, I've recently discovered BPAL and have gathered quite a collection, I'm reviewing them as the imp runs out so I've got full wearidge! hehe! Ok I've sniffed loads of my imps, but Blood Amber is the first one I've worn over two weeks, I can already tell nothing is going to beat this little beauty!!!!!!!!!

I've never smelled Dragon's Blood before (god have I missed out?), Most people that have smelled Blood Amber on me have said, Oooh it smells a bit Hippyish! I agree that it kind of smells like when you walk into an incesnsey candle selling shop. It's ABSOLUTLEY GORGEOUS!, And as I said before I dont think many will compare.

The Dragon's Blood is the main body of the scent on me but the amber is always there in the background!

Beautiful,

:D

Edited by ouch!

i like dragon’s blood ok, but I’ve yet to find a dragon’s blood scent that is really “me.” this one misses the mark even though it has amber, which i love. the amber adds a warm, powdery sweetness to the dragon’s blood which is nice. but it turns kind of soapy, after awhile. this one is off to swaps.

In the vial: Mmm, everything I love.

Wet: Sandalwood, patchouli, cinnamon, clove, orange. Sweet and spicy, in other words. I don't know what dragon's blood smells like, but that must be what I'm smelling.

Drydown: Ooh. Something sharper coming to the surface now, with a definite tang. Yes, amber, but I sense the tang of orange peel in here.

Dry: Sex-ay! But it fades down into something soft and powdery that, strangely, smells a little too "guy" for me. Which is really odd considering that two of my favorite scents are Casanova and Dee.

This is an almost startling red in the vial, and even when I apply it on my skin. The scent itself is warm and a little sweet, but it also makes me want to sneeze. I think that's the amber, actually, and something reminds of resin, as well.

Overall, the blend stays warm and inviting, but the sneezy feeling, unfortunately, stays with me. Sigh.

And after about half an hour, it turns to ick on me--an almost rancid musk. It's not strong, but ew. Washing it off.

Edited by Voleuse

I'm never sure what to say about dragon's blood scents other than, "It smells like dragon's blood." It's such a strange fragrance -- although a resin it sometimes smells cherry-like, sometimes lilac-like, and every once in awhile it comes across spicy as well. I sometimes really like it, and sometimes can't stand it.

Whatever you think of this strange resin, you have to like it a lot to like Blood Amber, which is almost just straight dragon's blood to me. The amber makes it a little stronger and more longlasting, I think, but from beginning to end it's basically dragon's blood.

I have a feeling that when people smell this (or any other strong DB scent) on me that they think it smells like cherries because that's just the kind of thing that people say to me to drive me crazy. It screams "red!" and it's a bit sweet but I tend to think it's more of a sweet, glowing incensy resin -- like the coal burning underneath incense powder. And this is warmed a little by the golden touch of amber. But I just know people are going to say it smells like cherry on me.