Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
grrrlennyl

Block Buster

Used to open up options in your life, overcome obstacles, and create opportunities. This blend increases your potential for success, inspires creativity and quick thinking, and helps you to be more flexible, adaptable and open to change.

For me, this smells incredibly sweet! It's a golden, syrupy, warm and melty smell, like honey, jojoba oil, maybe root beer, and a hint of sweet flowers. I spend a lot of time sniffing myself when I wear this, as I have no upper limit on how sweet I like things to be.

Tragically, after about three hours it shifts, and smells exactly like Play-Doh. I hugged a young friend of mine one day while wearing it, and she said, "You smell like clay. Were you playing with clay?" I'm pretty sad about that, and I have to time when I'm going to wear it carefully...like right before I take a shower. Overall, though, I love this scent, and I'm so happy it came as a freebie with my first imp order!

This was a frimp that I will be getting a full bottle of with my next order!!! I used it in my oil burner before bed the first night I had it and had a lot of really interesting dream activity that seemed to be progress and prosperity related and just interesting travel in general. Also sexual dream activity which is a door I have trouble getting open in dream and try to work on. The next day, I used it in my oil burner in my kitchen after being really lazy all day and found myself happily going from one project to the next and ended up having an incredibly productive afternoon and evening. I consider the actual scents of the conjure bag oils to be kind of a surprise bonus since I use them for the purposes stated in the descriptions. This one was a nice surprise as it was very butterscotchy to me but not in the food scent way. More like I had put butterscotch liquer in my oil burner with maybe some tobacco flower under everything. It smells really tasty and though I like my bedroom to smell like a forest or like natural flowers piled on an altar, I am perfectly happy to go to bed with this warm liquid nicotine butterscotch smell. I am a terrible procrastinator though I have improved a lot the last few years. I will be using this in my oil burner a lot and wearing it on my head (where I usually like to put a few drops of the Conjure bag products.) I like a lot of change and have some areas where I feel doors could be more open so I forsee using a lot of this!!!

This was my first ever BPAL scent. In the bottle, the scent smelled kind of medicinal and acridly sweet. On, it was sweet without being medicinal and had a hint of rose.

I don't love how it smelled on me, but there was something very soothing about this scent. Within 15 min of putting it on, I felt calmer and happier. I had had an exhausting month and a bad day. I put this one on and suddenly my mind stopped racing and I was able to push some thoughts that have been making me none too productive to the back of my mind. However, I felt so calm and peaceful I didn't end up making any progress on my essay. Ever since last night I've been calmer, more centered, and have felt more capable of dealing with everything. It's like the scent has helped me bust through the craziness that has taken over me this last month and kept me from being productive and feeling like myself. I didn't expect such a huge change in just one night (but I suspect some of the longer-term change is also due to the fact that I put on some Van Van after Blockbuster faded and did a very therapuetic dance).

Unfortunately, the scent only lasted just under three hours until it completely disappeared. However, the lasting effects have been amazing.

Starts as a grapey-winey scent. I thought it would be similar to a Road Opener oil that I have, but it's very different. It's not a great scent on me, but then again that's not the point of it!

this smells really good -- and im going to need to wear it as intended.

very sweet. not sure how to expalin it, sort of boozey but not. orangey. has a deep floral to it but its faint. overall....gonna add thsi to the wishlist.

This is all spicy goodness, a warm, creamy cinnamon among others which I can't identify. I didn't know this was a conjure oil, so I'll have to see how my day goes! This one is definitely a keeper, though it seems more suited to fall weather.

Block Buster

Cinnamon and fruitiness. Almost apple, but not quite. This smells kind of like baked fruit and cinnamon. Quite lovely.

ETA: Lotus! That's what I'm smelling! I don't know why I always think 'apple'.

Edited by Gin

Wet on the skin, cinnamon and lotus...slightly bubblegum-like, medicinal at first. As it begins to settle, it becomes honeyed and very calming. Given an hour, it has an almost apple cinnamon tea like background. Pleasant...not exactly something that I would wear, though.

In the imp: Very sweet and warm! Delicious!

Wet: Gorgeous appley scent with a hint of cinnamon. When I smell it I feel like I could overcome anything! I also feel very warm, like it's wrapping me up and protecting me. I love it!

Dry: Turning very spicy now. I could bathe in this!

In the vial: Very spicy with a touch of fruit.

Wet: Woody and cinnamon, warm, homey, very pleasant.

One hour: Gentle fruit and spice. I quite like this one and am seriously considering a bottle already.

Two hours: Peach! It's peach and a bit of spice. I am definitely getting a bottle of this!

Three and a half hours: Yup, still peach. This reminds me a lot of what Imp (one of my favorites) would be like if he got up out of the peach/patchouli bathtub and dried himself off: it's dry and well behaved but hits a lot of the same notes. Maybe there's patchouli in this.

Five hours: Still very civilized dry peach with patchouli overtones.

This layers beautifully with L'Estate bath oil.

I get a cider-like vibe from this, and I'm not exactly sure where that's coming from. There's definitely cinnamon, but something is coming across as cider on my skin. It's not overtly apple mind you, but a cider vibe none the less. I can't speak to the efficacy of this yet, but scent-wise it's quite nice!

This lab frimp was my first oil from the conjure bag. First part of the review: scent. I probably wouldn't have tried it on my own, since many reviewers mentioned apple, one of my notes 'o doom. I applied it with some trepidation and was gratified to find that it wasn't apple-y on me at all. Actually, BB startled me by how much it smelled exactly like Plunder. Plunder is one of my favorite BPALs. Somehow I haven't reviewed it yet, but in two words: spice tea. Block Buster has that same rich, complex spice aroma and both Plunder and BB serve up cinnamon in a way that keeps it soft and sweet, away from sharp and cedar-y territory. I get why people get cider from this, even though I don't detect apple. I'll have to do a side-by-side comparison one day to get all the differences, but I can say that BB seems a leetle leetle bit less dry. Some reviwers mentioned lotus. I didn't get the overtly fruity or bubble gum quality I associate with lotus, but it may have been in there adding just a touch of juicyness to otherwise dry notes. Still, I'm not sure if I could tell them apart. Overall, the smell of BB is something I associate with cozy rainy days and books, not getting one revved up. Like Plunder, BB stayed pretty linear and had good throw. BB lasted about five hours and then vanished completely, unlike Plunder, which usually lingers a bit close to the skin.

Second part: effect! I'm not ordinarily a user or practitioner of magic or rituals, but I respect those who do. I also have a healthy respect for the power of placebo. I've been in a slow-death rut of procrastination and anxiety over a certain area in my life. I chose to wear this oil on a day when I really needed to have my shit together and already felt determined to tackle it. I was able to push through and got an enormous amount of work done. I still felt anxious and made a few mistakes in my haste, but the tide most certainly turned. I feel in control again. It was awesome. I don't know what part of my success was due to my own attitude and what, if any, was due to Block Buster, but, needless to say, I'm very glad I wore it. If nothing else, it's a signal to myself that I'm in no mood to screw around.

As many others have said, this is very cinnamon-fruity, like a liberally-spiced apple treat. It works better than, say, All Night Long on me, and is very similar to Alice's Evidence. In spite of its aromatic components, it tends to have very light throw, and dissipates after a few hours.

A frimp from a decant circle!

In the imp: a pale yellow oil; cinnamon and apple. Smells like spiced apple pie.

On wet: Whoa there cinnamon! Well, cinnamon amps like crazy on me so it's to be expected. Right now it just smells like cinnamon air freshener.

Dry: More air freshener. Cinnamon, cinnamon and nothing but cinnamon. Woe.

I can't say much about its magical potency yet, so I'll keep it around since Has No Hanna really did its job for me, but nothing right now.

in the imp: smells like rubbing alcohol with cinnamon and a touch of fruit.

wet on skin: the alcohol smell is gone!! yippie! I smell cinnamon & apples! Reminds me of a tart candle I have called apple cinnamon muffins.

dry on skin: Spicy, with undernotes of fruit.

I put off trying this for quite some time because it smells VERY much like alcohol/mall perfume in the imp. It warms up on skin though, to a sort of nice spicey fruity desert :wub2: I would wear this around christmas time, yum!

Frimp in my will call bag.

I have trouble picking out notes when I don't have a guide, so please bear with me . . .

In the imp, I get lovely sweet spicy berries. It's quite nice, if not a bit unusual. Wet, it's sweet juicy berries and . . . soap. Uh oh. Things go from bad to worse during the drydown and my skin turns this into perfumey berries. Dry, I smell like a damn Yankee Candle.

Argh. I'm so disappointed because I loved it in the imp. I'm going to see if this works in a scent locket, otherwise it's going in the oil burner. It'll make a nice room scent.

frimped! a very well timed frimp as well. i have a job interview this afternoon and feel like my life have become very stagnant lately. on top of it, i have problems with anxiety (I'm extremely worried about this interview even though i know that i have no interest in the job, but i don't get enough offers to interview for more stable positions than the one i'm in now to pass down a chance to at least practice my interviewing skills).

in the imp- wow. sharp melon with an undertone of something sweet and candy like.

wet-sharp, herbal candies. it makes me think of something that you'd beg an adult for even as they tell you that you won't like it- and then hate it once you get it.

dry- it morphs into apple pie. sweet, spicy, i want to eat my arm.

and i have to admit, i'm a lot calmer now that i'm wearing this, it may be entirely a mind game but it does seem to be helping. this does seem to be the most effective of the conjure bags that i've tried so far.

Frimpage from the Lab. :heart:

In the imp: Very strong cinnamon, with a bit of sweetness and a faint medicinal edge.

Wet on skin: The cinnamon takes over and screams for attention.

Drydown: It fades back and the apple-y note others have mentioned comes out. Sadly, the whole thing smells artificial on me; Kejiaron's Yankee Candle issue is what happened to me too. After a couple of hours, it softens to something a little more natural with a slightly herbal undertone, but by then the scent is almost gone.

Verdict: Does not work on me, but I'd like to try this as a room scent, especially since I think it could really help with my anxiety and motivation problems. It did seem to perk me up and get the gears in my head turning. (I love me some apple cider, too.)

Edited by cantabile

In Bottle: Cinnamony apples

Wet: Beautiful fall spices, cinnamon and apples

Dry: The cinnamon and spice is just fantastic, the apple remains a sweet hint of cider lurking around the edges.

Notes: A fantastic autumnal blend! A must try for anyone who enjoys cider/apple/warm fall scents!

cinnamon spiced apples — warm and happy harvest-time scent but as I was testing this same time with Vixen that got too overpowerign so i need to give this another time on its own as full-day scent

new try:

imp: still cinnamon spiced apples

wet: somehow this reminds me of Gluhwein i tested previous day and I had to resniff my both wrists to ensure that Gluhwein was not there anymore — this is softer and less spicy and more apple cider than red wine though

dry: confident and somehow sexy scent of cinnamon mostly — not too sweet or sour so good balanced blend that kept my spirit up and feeling relatively energetic so it's voodoo magic may work...

I got 10ml bottle of this from eBay and I can see myself using this on days when i need more confidence and energy that is not as sugary happy as Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo or too overpoweringly sexy as many other scents. This could become one of my "standard office scents"

Very strong cinnamon note in this one. It overpowers everything else. And, yes, I agree with the review about it having a medicinal quality to it.

I LOVE this, more and more every time I put it on.

What it's used for is something I need to work on anyway - being more flexible! As I'm also really working to get back into creating art, I thought it might be good one to wear for that as well. When I wear it, I feel more...awake? It's hard to explain. I feel relaxed and calm, yet excited and aware all at the same time. It sort of makes my brain tingle a bit, if that makes sense. It's hard for me to not wear this every single day!

The smell is lovely. In the imp I admit I didn't like it at all, but dabbed a bit on the back of my hand. Almost instantly it morphed into something with a bit of apple, a bit of cinnamon, and a whole lot of herbal goodness, and I LOVED it. It smells a bit of potpourri to me, and something in it also makes me think of olive oil.

Very happy I tried this one, and I think I will end up getting a bottle of this once my imp runs out.

In the imp it smells of apples and something medicinal.

On me it's definitely apples with cinnamon, there is also a very clove-like tang to it.

Clove is one of my notes of death it usually gives me a headache but I hope this scent works as it's intended.

In the imp: sweetly medicinal

On wet: not very pretty - more serious - less sweet - still a little medicinal

Drying down: recognising the cinnamon - that's where the sweetness is coming from - and a certain warmth. As it starts drying the medicinal starts dying down. Now it is more herbally and cinnamon spicy - makes me think of Arrakis spice coffee.

within five minutes I feel more awake - this is incredibly uplifting and warm - not cosy warm but energising warm - like the sun

Overall: glad I bought a bottle unsniffed. I should probably wear this everyday for the benefits and as a scent it is very wearable.