Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The scent of sexual obsession, slavery to sensual pleasure, and the undercurrent of innocence defiled utterly. Amber and honey with a touch of vanilla.

With Dorian, another one of those famous BPAL scents I wanted to try, just to see why everyone went crazy over it.

IN THE IMP: Huh, honey. A lot of it. It smells powdery to me. Should I be worried?

WET: Oh, baby powder. But I do smell some honey underneath it.

DRY: Just a lot, a lot of baby powder. Honey-almond scented baby powder. Maybe I'll keep the imp for a while and hope it ages well.

I totally don't get all the reviews that likened O to the smell of sex. Like, at all.

To me it smells exactly like Kama Sutra honey powder. I get a slight baby powder smell, too. But that's just sweet goodness. Not like netherbits, which, eww.

I loved this.

Oh, I was so disappointed in O.

I wanted the sexy musky honey goodness. I got baby powder.

Oh well, there's always De Sade to fall back on, if I need teh sexy.

Yup...O does in fact smell like sex. Almost as good as, and almost exactly like, my layering technique of Bliss and The Lion (which I use for "romantic interludes" :P ). It threatens to go powdery, but never does. Very ambery to me. The scent makes me want to throw my man down and ravish him.

This is definitely going on my big bottle list!

I smell baby powder with this, as well.

So it does smell like sex... if sex smells like babies. :P

It does smell slightly different in the imp: There I smell the warmth, and the honey really comes through. But on my skin: Babies.

I plan to try it in my scent locket soon and see how it fares.

In the imp: Not much really, very faint and non-descript.

Wet: OK, it's better on. Honey-like, very nice, but still not getting why it's so good.

Dry: NOW I get it. Wow, this is amazing. I'm getting yummy honey amber goodness, with the faintest hint of vanilla. This has a warm musky and faintly spicey feel to it. I'm coming to the conclusion that my skin adores amber and honey notes, and totally amps them in this this scent. A definate big bottle investment.

It's interesting to see how this scent reacts totally differently on people; I was told if I loved Bastet I'd love this, and they weren't wrong. :P

This is lovely.

Warm, sweet, rich. This scent sinks right into my skin. I don't know that it smells like teh sex, but it sure does smell good. I can definitely smell the honey and vanilla. Unfortunately, it does not seem to last very long on my skin. I will have to reapply throughout the day. I think that is a small price to pay to smell this good.

I love O!

It is my absolute favorite of all the blends I tried. It's dark and sweet and darned sexy and I go through the day distracted by how freaking delicious I smell. When wet it is a little sharp, it dries to something warm and womanly. Love it! It's one of those wonderful second skin sort of blends that mesh just right. Just beautiful.

I knew that vanilla and amber work on me, but was pretty sure that honey would not do well with my skin. So I am so excited that it does! I cannot wait to see how it ages.

Also...my boyfriend REALLY likes it. Really really really likes it.

This is going to be a strange review.

I have an imp of O, and can't recall if I purchased it or if it was frimped.

Either way, I decided to try it today. Now, I could not remember the lab description before trying this, but I HAVE read the story. So I was expecting something...different. I totally expected the vanilla, but wasn't expecting the scent to be so, sweet and nice. It IS sexy, don't get me wrong. I think the amber serves to make it a bit more heady.

In the imp, all I get is non-foody vanilla. Very nice and simple.

Once on, the vanilla stays, but there is an undercurrent of amber swirling it's way in there.

VERY NICE.

Now, the caveats...I have developed another cold, and so my nose may not be up to snuff, so to speak. Plus, I am super stressed about a few things. I also weighed myself this morning for the first time in about six months, and after seeing how much weight I've gained in the past year, I am NOT feeling sexy. So maybe I should try this again, when I'm in a better frame of mind to evaluate the Sex-worthiness of "O".

In the bottle: almost a cherry smell. The honey is definitely there.

Wet: super sweet. I hope this mellows out a bit.

Dry: I can pick out all three notes, but the amber stands out most. Overall, this is too sweet for me. Maybe if I layered it with something... Oh well, at least it was a frimp :P

In the bottle: HONEY! with a dash of cream

On Me: At first, it's all honey, vanilla and milk, all the time. I was so afraid that it would be too sweet and too much for me. After a few minutes it dies down beautifully, letting the amber out of the background. It mellows out the honey, and is just lovely. This is one of my signature scents now.

Imp: I also got a hint of cherry out of this one, sort of a cherry-chocolate. Which was odd, because I didn't remember either of those on the list.

Wet: HONEY! HONEY! HONEY! and maybe a little something else.

Dry: The honey is mellowed out a bit, and it's got more vanilla to it. I can imagine amber in it, as well.

Oddly, I amp amber like mad, but honey seems to beat it out here.

Source: Bottle from the lab

Several people have likened this to Kama Sutra's Honey Powder, and I agree that it smells very similar to that if you're familiar with it. O has a sexy, honey scent to it, one that drips with the slightest hint of amber and vanilla. I can't smell the cherry chocolate that others have referred to, but I do get a bit of the baby powder.

O seems to last strongly a few hours on me, and then it dies off into a honey goodness. Love it!

warm cream and honey in the bottle...as far as this smelling like baby powder, not on me...but then again sex does sometimes result in babies soo...

I get a warm cream and honey and vanilla that lingers ....I tend to slather and dont wanna scare people off with this one, but I am glad that my faves (like this one) are all GC! it might be too heavy for spring and Summer, but by then I will probably have gone through this; my second bottle, as well!

Love, love, love!!! :D

I must rid myself of the 4-year old diva in my house so I can ravage the hubby soon! This is the first BPAL scent I will definitely order a full bottle of.

Note to self: Don't put this on before going out to dinner with friends. Very hard to concentrate :P

Definitely smelling the vanilla and honey! After several scents recently that include that, I'm starting to think these are some really amazing notes to put together. The amber is harder for me to detect, especially now that it's been about four hours since I applied the oil, but I do remember that the initial smell of the oil was very pleasant, if a tad sharp in the very beginning.

Rating: 9/10

I wasn't sure what to expect out of this scent. I'm not really a fan of honey and vanilla as they tend to be sweet on me.

when it was wet, it was a light vanilla/honey scent with amber peeking out

when it was dry i absolutely loved it. everything was balanced just right and i kept getting wiffs of amber and vanilla and some honey.

i think this is a bottle purchase and i would love to see how it ages.

I tried O straight from the lab. It starts out a lot like the lion, with the amber and honey smelling sweet and musky with the vanilla playing couterpoint. As it dries, my skin amps the vanilla, though the honey keeps it a sweet vanilla, and then it starts to fade quickly. I like it, but I would need to apply it throughout the day. I'll definitely keep the imp, though I don't think it's bottle worthy on me the way The Lion was.

Seeing all the lovely reviews for O, I had to try some.

In the bottle it smells... sweet. That's all. Kind of like brown sugar, actually. I'm not entirely sure, but I can't pick out anything really specific.

I put it on and immediately thought, "INCENSE?!" It smelled almost exactly the same as the Snake Oil I put on the night before. Maybe it layered magically and amped up the Snake Oil, so I let it sit for awhile.

It still didn't seem to change after awhile. I kept thinking "incense" but it didn't REALLY smell like... I offered my wrists to my parents. Mom could only tell me that it smelled good, but Dad said "Yummy. Smells just like baby powder!"

Me: ...D= what??

Dad: Well, would you rather smell like old man powder?

Me: That's not the point!

So I suppose that O doesn't really work with my chemistry. All I get is powder! Boo... I really, really wanted to like this. T_T

---edit---

Here I am a few months later, trying O out again.

I think that amber just does not like my skin, or something. I put some on my wrist and it smells like rancid butter. Well, maybe not that bad... but something in it just makes me gag when I smell it. It reminds me simultaneously of stale popcorn butter, sweaty body odor, badly-baked buttery cookies, and baby powder. Oh, and you know the scent of a public bathroom at the start of the day? The faint smells of the previous day's "usage" still lingers, coupled with the sweet deodorizer used to mask it. That's what O reminds me of.

I know, I know, this is supposedly a beautiful scent, but this perfume literally makes me sick. I think it could be just my nose, though. My mom put it on and said that it was a mature, pretty, interesting fragrance. It smelled exactly the same on her skin as it did mine: disgusting! At least to me. Yeah, my nose is bonkers. I'm giving this imp to my mom and not looking back.

Edited by InvinciChicken

On me, O is mostly vanilla with some honey. I don't detect any amber at all. It's very pretty and I think it would be a good one for someone new to BPAL.

After reading the various reviews on O, I had to try it.

In the imp: All I could smell was the scent that clung to all of the bottles - a sweet, flowery smell that reminds me of old women. =/

On me: Well, it certainly didn't have the sexy smell I expected. It wasn't a bad smell, mind you, it was just... powdery. And that made me incredibly sad because I was really hoping for a sexy scent.

Boyfriend's review: "Well... it's not bad, I like that one you were wearing yesterday (Embalming Fluid) so much better. It's more you."

Sigh. I guess I'll let my sister try it, see how she likes it. =(

Edit: After several hours, a shower, applications of Embalming Fluid, and repeated washing, O is still kicking and smells divine. Still not sexy, but it's got a sweetness to it that's rather nostalgic for me. I'm enjoying it.

Edited by Zirekile

I think I might have been sniffing something else when I first tested this- I DID have like 4 scents on my arm. This smells like... like... those generic "bathroom spray" things that are mounted on the wall at hospitals. And antibiotics. I don't know. And maybe powder. What the hell?

Oh God. This smells like bathroom spray and, I think, semen. I couldn't think of what it was, but I think it smells just slightly semen-ish. DEFINITELY trading this. Or keeping it locked away. It's mostly the weird bathroom cleaner smell getting to me.

Edited by whisperingmachines

Wet, in the imp: Sweet. Very, very, VERY sweet. HONEY!!!!

Wet, on my skin: Ugh, it smells like I just smeared honey on my skin. I love honey, but this smells like a kitchen accident on me.

Dry, on skin: Well, something smoky is coming out now, but the overwhelming smell of honey is just too much. This is a no-go for me.

OOf, in the imp this is very sweet honey and amber. It does have a sort of "sex" kind of smell about it, which I'm not sure I find entirely appealing in a perfume.

This is almost straight honey on my skin. A leetle bit of amber and a leetle bit of vanilla. You know, when I first sniffed this decant months ago I didn't like it at all, but I find that I'm actually enjoying it more than I thought I would. There is something very sexual about it, almost a little too sexual, but at the same time something innocently sweet about it...interesting!

Ok. Yes. I am sold. It mellowed beautifully on my skin. This is a wonderful honey blend. I will have to add this to my ever growing list of bottles I need. I can't stop sniffing my hand!!!

O was one of the scents I ordered in my first imp pack last spring, and it's taken me this long to decide whether I liked it or not. It smells really sticky-sweet in the vial, but once I put it on, it turned to pure amber. Now, I like amber, and vanilla, and honey, and I was really interested in trying this after reading so many reports about teh sexiness of it, and... it just turns into a nice, pleasant, ambery-powdery scent on me. Not offensive, by any means, but not a sex bomb in a bottle either. I really wished it worked on me the way it does on some people.

Ah well - there's always Snake Oil. Or Scherezade.