Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
friendthegirl

Allergy Questions, Allergies and other reactions to oils

Hey, PersimmonSeeds! I'm allergic/sensitive to a lot of the exact same things you are (fragrance and blue dyes popular in laundry products) with very similar reactions, and I also have a known and very bad reaction to just about everything very closely related to geraniums, especially Geranium Oil. Found this out by working in a Garden Center and had it confirmed when my face lotion changed one ingredient without putting a "New Formula!" alert on the label. Guess what the ingredient they added was? Geranium Oil.

It may be that you have a similar problem with an unlisted oil in Hope & Fear, but it may be worth doing a contact or patch test with another product containing oil from a member of the Boswellia genus, particularly frankincense if you can.

Taking some Benadryl really helps keep me from scratching myself raw when I have an unexpected reaction, but it also makes me groggy/fall asleep, so I'm not sure if that's an option for you right now.

Hey, PersimmonSeeds! I'm allergic/sensitive to a lot of the exact same things you are (fragrance and blue dyes popular in laundry products) with very similar reactions, and I also have a known and very bad reaction to just about everything very closely related to geraniums, especially Geranium Oil. Found this out by working in a Garden Center and had it confirmed when my face lotion changed one ingredient without putting a "New Formula!" alert on the label. Guess what the ingredient they added was? Geranium Oil.

It may be that you have a similar problem with an unlisted oil in Hope & Fear, but it may be worth doing a contact or patch test with another product containing oil from a member of the Boswellia genus, particularly frankincense if you can.

Taking some Benadryl really helps keep me from scratching myself raw when I have an unexpected reaction, but it also makes me groggy/fall asleep, so I'm not sure if that's an option for you right now.

Thank you, Arcy!

I've actually had to change detergents several times in the past few years because of unannounced ingredient changes. Mainly the addition of dyes and new perfumes. So I'm right there with you!

I think the strangest thing is JC Penny jeans! Sometimes a few years ago they changed something with their blue jeans. They smell horrible and I was told it's from the dye they use?

Well apparently the dye they use isn't just smelly, it irritates me so badly I cant wear several of their jeans anymore!

I've never had a huge issue with perfumes before, some body sprays with glitter/dye but never oils(aside from a light tingling from cinnamon).

I'll try to test a few frankincense oils. Most of what I own with it as a note are of the EDP/Cologne variety. It's actually one of my favorites!

I own a Perfume oil that a friend made me with patchouli and frankincense. It could be that it is a mild frankincense in that particular oil and maybe the aged one in Hope and Fear has made it extremely potent?

I will do some testing and update this post once I know!

I washed where I dabbed it with soapy water and applied some Benadryl cream(something I always carry with me considering I randomly break into Hives and sometimes my hands swell if I touch stair rails lol) and it calmed down, I'm more worried about the faint bruising. I thought it was a stain from the dark oil, but they're very sensitive and must be bruises.

Edited by PersimmonSeeds

If I recall correctly, Frankincense Essential Oil is pretty expensive if you want the real deal... right up there with my favorite Sandalwood... chances are good that you may have only had previous exposure to synthetic fragrance oils or heavily diluted amounts of essential oil which were then watered down even more when blended into a finished perfume or cologne, which may account for having a reaction when exposed to the real deal.

(And, of course, there may be an unlisted oil in the vial that is the real culprit, who knows?)

The bruises are worrying, though. I think you may want to go to a doctor and/or an allergist with that one.

Haha, just found out that my skin does NOT like Saw-Scaled Viper '08. I've had tingling with cinnamon before, but it has left a large (easily 5x bigger than the area I applied it to) stinging red patch on my inner elbow. Pity, because it smells amazing.

http://i.imgur.com/LW7fTXW.jpg

Edited by Arcy

I have that same issue with cinnamon, Arcy! I usually but a perfume base (like unscented lotion or for strange women base) to keep it from touching my skin and it has helped with scents like Harlot and wrath!

I tested two more oils with frankincense notes (arcana and dark rosaleen) and I really didn't see a reaction. Not even any tingling so I'm pretty weirded out. I may shoot the lab a message and see if there is anything in Hope and fear to be safe. I find it hard to even touch the bottle because of how badly it stung.

Another I am suddenly having a reaction to: recently i spritzed my favorite cardigan with The Lady in Black Atmosphere spray. I smelled amazing but I guess i sprayed too much because around my neck and where my sleeves touched my face i have broken out in hives....?

I realize I am posting again but my sister borrowed one of my atmosphere sprays for her room and had a reaction to it. It was mild but she is complaining about her nose, constantly sneezing and anywhere the fabric that has the spray lingering on it is making her break out in hives and itch like crazy.

It was Lucy in Darkness that did this to her. My family has sensitive skin but she has never really reacted like this to something other than Gain Detergent(which my entire family cannot use).

The only thing that I can think of that she probably hasn't come in contact with before would be the garlic flowers?

Edited by PersimmonSeeds

King of Hearts and Knave of Hearts both gave me awful headaches. Besides that, King of Hearts made me feel feverish and Knave of Hearts made me nauseous.

I haven't had problems with any other scents, though. I think the lavender (KOH) and baking spices (KnOH) were the culprits, so I just avoid those notes when I'm looking at new imps to try.

I got a bottle of Samhain (I think from about last year or so, I don't remember off the top of my head at work) and the first time I applied it my skin became super irritated and red. (I believe this happened to at least one other person on a much older comment.) I realized, however, that I had applied it directly after getting out of a hot shower and that might have had something to do with it since my pores were all hot and bothered. Applying it well after or before a shower and I have not had the problem since. I wonder what in the formula irritated me so?

Gracklebait: The allspice might be the cause of that? I have a few decants of different years and they all cause the same red welts on me. They are angrier when I apply it after sweating or showering. I usually don't complain because I knew before I even tried it that it would do that due to the spices in it and me having rather sensitive skin. I believe some ground allspice has cinnamon in it, which cinnamon does do this to me too, but I don't know if the lab uses just the dried allspice or emulates a ground allspice usually used in Samhain baked goods or incenses?

King of Hearts and Knave of Hearts both gave me awful headaches. Besides that, King of Hearts made me feel feverish and Knave of Hearts made me nauseous.

I haven't had problems with any other scents, though. I think the lavender (KOH) and baking spices (KnOH) were the culprits, so I just avoid those notes when I'm looking at new imps to try.

OMG, lavender (occasionally) and sandalwood (nearly always) both have that effect on me, nobody ever believes me and finally I have validation!

OMG, lavender (occasionally) and sandalwood (nearly always) both have that effect on me, nobody ever believes me and finally I have validation!

There are dozens of us. Dozens!

I'm wondering if there are any notes that more commonly cause skin allergies than others? And more specifically - has anyone had an allergic reaction on their skin to Himerus?

I did and I'm trying to figure out what note(s) from it to avoid in future, but I'm a newbie and can only rule out Bergamot as a non-factor since I've tested others with that note with no problems...

I emailed the lab weeks ago with my question but never got a response 😞

You'll likely only be able to find out which note is the problem by testing other scents that carry one of the notes contained in Himerus (juniper, sandalwood, rosewood, lilac, orchid, red musk, or bergamot) and see how it reacts with you. Hopefully it's a note that's easy to avoid.

Also be aware that Beth doesn't necessarily list every note contained in her blends, just the ones that are most noticeably prominent.

(I'm migraine-sensitive to a lot of notes myself, but recently developed a skin allergy to one that I haven't identified yet, but might be benzoin.)

Edited by rawgirl75

Lemon can cause a hivey reaction but it's not listed as a note. Nothing listed is jumping out to me except bergamot which you're okay with.

Edited by Scarlet Woodland

Cinnamon & cardamom for me can cause lovely red welts (seriously, I put on Spanked Revisited, and my arms are ridiculously red for the next hour or so), but I haven't had anything that's produced hives (yet). I do know that rose, carnation, and some forms of patchouli can cause nasal allergies to kick in, and violet is apparently a migraine-trigger for me, but I only discovered that by trying out different scents that contained them.

Yeah, I've tried cross referencing it with other imps I have but haven't found anything that has the same notes (crazy, eh? With all of those, nothing listed is the same).

So that's why I posted this thread.

As for my symptoms, it got red and burning sensation immediately and I had to wash it off right away with soap, water and alcohol.

I get migraines easily too so I've had to wash off quite a few very quickly but the only one I couldn't get off fast enough for head-type allergies (rather than skin allergies) was Xiuhtechtli -- holy songs that one exploded off my skin.

I literally had to wash it with alcohol over a dozen times before it started to go away but again, I don't know what caused that reaction either.

I actually emailed the lab about that too because I know they don't list all of the notes but as I said, I never heard back from them :(

So I just wanted to get a general sense from people, but I know "head" allergies can be very different for different people (skin allergies too but not as widely variable as headache triggers).

Cassia is a type of cinnamon used often in bpal scents which can cause reactions :frustrated: I can't wear it or anything with normal cinnamon.. I wouldn't know what's causing you the reaction in that scent though :/

If you really love the scent, you can try it in a locket. I have to wear Lick It Again and Inferno in a locket to save my skin. (Oddly, I don't have to wear any of the other Lick It series in a locket, and I've tried all but one.)

I actually just ordered a scent locket the other day off ebay but I'd like to try and avoid buying any imps in future that contain things I know have allergens that affect me in them...

(Does anyone have any thoughts on Xiuhtechtli notes for brain allergies?)

It might have been musk. I love it and I usually wear it easily but sometimes, especially if my skin is really dry, it will irritate my skin. Almost all my perfume irritates my skin if I put it on too soon after taking a shower as well.

It might have been musk. I love it and I usually wear it easily but sometimes, especially if my skin is really dry, it will irritate my skin. Almost all my perfume irritates my skin if I put it on too soon after taking a shower as well.

Hmmmm, interesting about the musk. I find it a little frustrating that some bpals are labeled specifically as to what kind of musk(s) they use and others just say "musk" or "musks".... Wish the Lab would be consistently specific for those of us with reactions to know what blends to avoid :(

I've never been able to wear "regular" perfume and was so excited when I came across bpal... Some work, some don't but I'd love if the elimination process were made a little easier for those of us with serious reactions to certain notes...

Edited by IslandRain

I have very sensitive skin but BPAL has allowed me to indulge my love of wearing a different scent every day with no issue so far. I started my BPTP voyage with Fig and Sandalwood hair gloss. I love the way my hair behaves when I use it as my hair is fine and very straight. But it wasn't the sandalwood I love. Next was Lion and Unicorn sharing cake. Amazing. Halloween is my favorite time so I got the Dead leaves, honeyed patchouli, black tea, sweet Oudh and Sandalwood hair gloss to go with the Dead leaves, black currant and tobacco tar perfume. Love the smells! One day my nose is dry and scaly. The next day my skin around my jaw and ears is really itchy. Woke up the next morning to my entire face covered in hives and scabs. It took 2 weeks and finally straight vitamin E oil to remedy. I thought it was the new skincare I was trying so I used the hair gloss again and had 2 more weeks of no joy. Having skimmed through this forum, I figure it must be the black tea. Thanks to everyone on this forum for sharing their experiences. I never would have guessed tea was the culprit. Itchy face is No Bueno!

I tested an imp of Hollywood Babylon today.

Within two minutes, the skin on my wrist was raised, bright red, and my arm was covered in hives, and I was sneezing and wheezing.

I've never had such a severe or immediate reaction to any essential oil, fragrance oil, or perfume oil blend.

I'm quite shocked, looking at the list of notes (Egyptian amber, red musk, heliotrope, cherry, strawberry, vanilla) as I have not had any trouble with BPAL blends that have similar notes.

As a general rule, I don't have much trouble with any BPAL blends.

Edited by crimescenecleanup

Two oils have given me verified asthma attacks now:
Marshmallow Pumpkin (LE SIGH!)
Hesiod's Phoenix (Okay, so...my pocketbook thanks you oh shitty lungs!)

Not sure what did it in Hesiod's, but I get a cinnamon-y note in Marshmallow Pumpkin?

Who can say, really? At least it hasn't been too many blends that make me wheezy and reaching for the inhaler.