Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
friendthegirl

Allergy Questions, Allergies and other reactions to oils

One of the reasons I like BPAL is that their perfumes don't make my nose itch or give me a headache and I don't have to take allergy meds to wear them, unlike most perfumes.

However, when I put Snake Oil on for the first time, it burned and made my skin red and sensitive. The only other time this happened is when I was taking decongestants for a cold, and tried to wear Selkie. O_; I think the latter reaction was due to a change in personal chemestry. The former... I just have no idea. While I thought Snake Oil smelled nice, I didn't like it well enough to put up with burning. :P

*curious* does anyone know if there's Cinnamon oil in Snake Oil? I think it was Hellfire that I had, and it BURNED. I mean, heat, inflamation, redness at the site. It wasn't even me (I knew better) the guy who gave it to me warned me not to apply it to the skin, because he'd had that reaction, and then I told the girl I gave it to the same thing, and she didn't listen and almost immediately went running to the bathroom screaming "ow ow hot hot hot!" I know straight cinnamon oil can do that, not just as an allergy, but just because it's that way (it's the burny/tingly/plumpy oil in a lot of lip plumpers)

-Izile

One of the reasons I like BPAL is that their perfumes don't make my nose itch or give me a headache and I don't have to take allergy meds to wear them, unlike most perfumes.

However, when I put Snake Oil on for the first time, it burned and made my skin red and sensitive. The only other time this happened is when I was taking decongestants for a cold, and tried to wear Selkie. O_; I think the latter reaction was due to a change in personal chemestry. The former... I just have no idea. While I thought Snake Oil smelled nice, I didn't like it well enough to put up with burning. :P

I can't wear spicy BPAL's right out of the shower b/c I flame up with red welts. I have to save them for the evening. But this dosn't include Snake Oil. I think if there was cinnimon my skin would know: Chimera, Bengal, Shub all flare up...

I was going to make some suggestions, but Irina beat me too it. I only had serious trouble with a few ingredients so i keep an eye out for them. i still pretest everything just in case though.

If you had that strong of a reaction, I would wait several days before trying again, Petrina.

actually ever since i started using bpal my wrists have been so dry. they don't normally get dry so i know it's the oils

Just a word of warning in case someone is ever in my situation.

I don't have sensitive skin and I don't have a problem with any BPAL ingredient, except maybe repeated use of blends with lemongrass. The other day, I put on some Erato or Chuparosa, I can't remember which. And late that day, I went to a shiatsu session in which the therapist applied moxibustion (local heat). After a while, I had a swollen, itchy red track on the areas of skin where I had applied perfume. It lasted for three days.

So, remember: BPAL and local heat don't mix.

OK guys, I hope you forgive me, but I started searching back though this topic, got about 10 pages in and gave up.

I have a RAGING headache after using the Yule 2008 version of Midnight Mass. I have exactly the same reaction to it as I do Snake Oil, and since I don't know what the ingredients are in either of them, does anyone have a clue what I should be avoiding? I THINK I have it narrowed down to frankincense, hyssop, black patchouli, cardamom, tamarind, rosemary, oakmoss or cypress. And yes, those are most of the notes of Nephilim, which gives me the exact same scent-morph and blazing headache. If I can ask the lab, can you tell me if any of those notes are in either Midnight Mass or Snake Oil? Because I have GOT to stay away from them. I just took migraine strength meds, and I'm still squinting at the computer. (Another reason I gave up on the topic search.)

To make a long plea short... help?

The only thing on your list that I know for sure is in Snake Oil is patchouli - but for Midnight Mass, I would bet on frankincense.

I had yet another bad reaction to a scent (read: a rash), and I'm getting frustrated with my own inability to spot the problem ingredient. At first I thought it was cinnamon, but that doesn't explain all the other oils. Here are all the scents I've reacted to:

The Dodo

Queen of Sheba

Bezoar

Silk Road

Urd

Bensiabel

Inferno

Saw-Scaled Viper

Libertarian

Hermia

The Phantom Calliope

Does anyone have any idea what I ought to be avoiding? I thought I knew what to look for, but then Bensiabel blindsided me.

Are you having trouble with aged imps or fresh too? Sometimes I have trouble with aged oils, seemingly at random. My theory is that the concentration may increase with evaporation pushing things above my threshold to make rash.

Does anyone have any idea what I ought to be avoiding? I thought I knew what to look for, but then Bensiabel blindsided me.

It might be that you're reacting to more than one ingredient, i.e., the list doesn't necessarily have one note in common - but most of the ones that I am familiar with do have some sort of spiciness, even if the description just lists "spices" without naming exactly what's in there. Queen of Sheba and Silk Road don't list the spices they contain but both are spicy blends to my nose.

I've reacted to blends with cardamom before, and that is listed as a component of both The Phantom Calliope & Bezoar, for example; there's pink pepper in Hermia, and cassia in The Dodo.

Inferno and Saw Scaled Viper are notorious skin burners - they both have cinnamon, and SSV also has cassia. Anyone who has a hint of sensitive skin should avoid those two, I speak from experience! =)

(I haven't tried Bensiabel or Libertarian, although from Bensiabel's description, it doesn't seem like it would be spicy or burny - and Urd has me stumped too, it didn't smell spicy to me. Reviews are suggesting there's clove &/or ginger in Libertarian, which would bolster the spice theory, but only the Lab could tell you for sure.)

Anyway, other than those few really odd ones, it sounds like you could be reacting to a variety of spices. I'm sure that if you have specific questions about components, the Lab can help you as long as you are patient about getting answers during the busy holiday season. In the meantime, I'd be careful about pepper notes, cardamom and cassia in addition to cinnamon. Maybe check reviews before ordering and commit to an imp or decant first before splurging on bottles if something sounds iffy. Those old standby tricks - being sure to moisturize to give your skin a bit of a barrier and also allowing ample time after a shower or bath before applying perfume - really help me. I've had my share of spice-induced itches and welts, though, so I know how frustrating it is!

Good luck - I've had my share of spice-induced welts and itches and it is frustrating!

Other than sensory overload headache/nausea from getting my first imps yesterday after a day of sniffing bath and body works, I'm fine with what I've tried (only Baobhan Sith, but boy is it great!) but I knew from the get-go that I'd be diluting probably. I have lots of sensitivities and allergies, so I had already planned ahead and will dilute most if not all of what I use. I've got some roller ball bottles coming to me too, so I can mix some already diluted ones up as well.

On a side note, other than that UGH feeling from sensory overload, I applied baobhan sith twice yesterday with no issues. YUM.....

It might be that you're reacting to more than one ingredient, i.e., the list doesn't necessarily have one note in common - but most of the ones that I am familiar with do have some sort of spiciness, even if the description just lists "spices" without naming exactly what's in there. Queen of Sheba and Silk Road don't list the spices they contain but both are spicy blends to my nose.

I've reacted to blends with cardamom before, and that is listed as a component of both The Phantom Calliope & Bezoar, for example; there's pink pepper in Hermia, and cassia in The Dodo.

Inferno and Saw Scaled Viper are notorious skin burners - they both have cinnamon, and SSV also has cassia. Anyone who has a hint of sensitive skin should avoid those two, I speak from experience! =)

(I haven't tried Bensiabel or Libertarian, although from Bensiabel's description, it doesn't seem like it would be spicy or burny - and Urd has me stumped too, it didn't smell spicy to me. Reviews are suggesting there's clove &/or ginger in Libertarian, which would bolster the spice theory, but only the Lab could tell you for sure.)

Anyway, other than those few really odd ones, it sounds like you could be reacting to a variety of spices. I'm sure that if you have specific questions about components, the Lab can help you as long as you are patient about getting answers during the busy holiday season. In the meantime, I'd be careful about pepper notes, cardamom and cassia in addition to cinnamon. Maybe check reviews before ordering and commit to an imp or decant first before splurging on bottles if something sounds iffy. Those old standby tricks - being sure to moisturize to give your skin a bit of a barrier and also allowing ample time after a shower or bath before applying perfume - really help me. I've had my share of spice-induced itches and welts, though, so I know how frustrating it is!

Good luck - I've had my share of spice-induced welts and itches and it is frustrating!

Hi guys,

I don't know if this is the right place for this, but I recently had a potentially roommate tell me she wouldn't be able to live with me unless I gave up perfume altogether, because she thought she was allergic to it, and it was overpowering.

I guess I'm willing to do that, but I was wondering if anyone else had a similar issue here, and what they did. Would it be a good idea to try to pinpoint what notes she was allergic to and stop wearing those? Or are there people who are just allergic to all kinds of perfume/scents?

And I'm sure you guys understand my perfume addiction here. Should I really give this up, or is there a way to compromise? I would just not room with her but she's a good friend and this is a great apartment for three people and she's a necessary part! But she's acting like I can't even bring it in there because it wouldn't be limited to my room with "air circulation" or something. So I guess she's even allergic to the smell that comes from my perfume drawer?

Any advice here? And I'm sorry if this is the wrong place, I'd be happy to move :P Thanks!

Parasolfringe: I think this is something you're probably going to have to take up with your roommate. You might ask if the BPAL you wear has ever bothered her, or make sure that her allergies are to all perfume and not just to whatever is in the department store stuff. It could be that she isn't so much allergic to scent as she has only ever been around girls who douse themselves in Chanel and choke people all day. Unfortunately it sounds like she may truly be pretty sensitive, and if that's the case I don't really think it's reasonable to try and pinpoint specific notes that she's allergic to. Even if you can figure out that roses, violets, and pine bother her, there's no telling if any of those notes are used in the bouquet that is used to assimilate civet, for example. I sympathize with you, because my dad and little sister are also really sensitive to scents, and although I don't live with them anymore they have asked me not to even bring my BPAL home because almost everything bothers their allergies. Also, since BPAL scents are so concentrated, I've found they have a tendency to saturate wherever they are stored (purse, drawer, etc) with fragrance, meaning that it could be a problem for your roomie to even come into your room or to have the scents leaking into the air system... plus you would still wear them (probably?), which means the scents would get all over the rest of the apartment too. I don't want to discourage you, but I know that there are some people that are THAT sensitive. I would definitely talk to her and see what the extent of her allergy is, but if she is truly allergic please understand that you may have to pack away your BPAL.

I hope everything works out! :P

Edited by terrenity

I think I have discovered that I am allergic to the Lab's leather note(s?). It makes me sad. I discovered this after Whip left me all snuffly and miserable and almost unable to attend a party. I Married a Vampire from Planet X had me wake up from a nap in a similarly snuffly haze and I felt deeply compelled to wash it off immediately (despite kind of liking the scent). I tried Wanda last night, and wanted to wash it off immediately - at this point I don't know if it was suggestion or a real reaction, but it seems that I'll be avoiding blends with leather in them from now on. What a shame, it is a good scent! :P

I find this very strange, but something in Eat Me causes my skin to burn in sensitive places, like the back of my neck, and it seems to have gotten a lot worse as my bottle has aged. It's strange, because the only other oil I've ever reacted to before was Inferno, which caused GIANT RED WELTS where applied, I'm assuming due to the cinnamon. I searched the reviews, but no one else seems to have had this problem with Eat Me, so I wonder if I'm just a freak!

It's all about individual body chemistry, isn't it?

Anyway, one that can give me a problem is JAILBAIT. Stings if I rub it into my neck at all. Is there cinnamon in it, because that's all I smell as it wears on.

Oh noes!

I wore Blood Kiss out for Valentine's dinner last night, and I had slathered it on my collarbone. I woke up this morning with a little red welt where the oil was! I've never been allergic to anything before so I'm not sure what it could be....what is in Blood Kiss that might make one get a welt? :(

My reactions are based on quantity - if I slather a potentially irritating oil, I break out. If I go lightly I'm okay. The usual suspects are cinnamon and cassia, which I used to LOATHE in any detectable amount... it just smelled bad to me. More and more I find myself reaching for spicier blends, I'm kinda starting to like them when everything is balanced (i.e. some of the Snake Pit). Still - - I have to wonder if there isn't a connection between aversion to an oil, scent-wise, and skin reactions. Our bodies intuitively know what is good and what is not.

Edited by Indig0

Seems that it also has to do with the amount I put on. If I reapply too much my skin burns. :ack: My problem is that I don't hold scent and do reapply a lot.

Seems that it also has to do with the amount I put on. If I reapply too much my skin burns. :ack: My problem is that I don't hold scent and do reapply a lot.

Yeah, I think reapplying plays a big role. It probably blocks up the pores so that the skin can't "breathe out" whatever the irritating components are.

Okay, so I have a question:

I started using BPALs regularly about 3 months ago and I don't have any allergies that I know of. For a few weeks now my eyes have been super itchy and getting a little bloodshot pretty much every day. My mom thinks I'm allergic to the oils or maybe some component of some of them. But in the first 2 and a half months of regular, every day use nothing like this happened; and if there was something I was allergic to in some, but not all of the oils I use wouldn't the reaction only happen on the day(s) I used that one? (I rotate through my collection pretty thoroughly)

I'm thinking that maybe I've been getting a little sloppy in my application lately (I did just recently change the way I apply), then there's some left on my fingers and during the course of the day I rub my eyes which gets a tiny bit of oil in them (enough to itch but not to really badly irritate) and it creates a cycle.

Any advice? Does it sound like I'm allergic or like I just need to wash my hands really thoroughly after I apply in the morning?

Okay, so I have a question:

I started using BPALs regularly about 3 months ago and I don't have any allergies that I know of. For a few weeks now my eyes have been super itchy and getting a little bloodshot pretty much every day. My mom thinks I'm allergic to the oils or maybe some component of some of them. But in the first 2 and a half months of regular, every day use nothing like this happened; and if there was something I was allergic to in some, but not all of the oils I use wouldn't the reaction only happen on the day(s) I used that one? (I rotate through my collection pretty thoroughly)

I'm thinking that maybe I've been getting a little sloppy in my application lately (I did just recently change the way I apply), then there's some left on my fingers and during the course of the day I rub my eyes which gets a tiny bit of oil in them (enough to itch but not to really badly irritate) and it creates a cycle.

Any advice? Does it sound like I'm allergic or like I just need to wash my hands really thoroughly after I apply in the morning?

I would consider seasonal issues, too. It could be anything, and allergies can develop at any time during one's life for any number of reasons. Try going back to your old way of applying and see if that helps, maybe? Or try a scent locket...

I have a strange question,

and I hope its placed right in this thread.

I was thinking about buying an scent locket,

but couldn´t afford an BPAL one atm and I wasn´t sure if I was going to wear it regularly, so I decided to buy just a (cheaper) perfume locket

and try it out.

So my locket came today.

First scent I placed in it was Snow White 08.

I can´t do SW on skin, it always smells artificial and sharp on me,

so I thought a locket might be just the thing to do.

But no - after about 5 minutes, I had a ROARING headache and I felt like I

had to throw up.

So I removed the scent pad with SW and replaced it with Snow,Glass,Apples.

Same reaction - SGA disappears on my skin in an instant,

but in the locket it almost made me puke... :(

After this,

I felt dissy and sick all day,

and I had to lay down even.

I never had such an reaction on ANY scent,

and also not on SGA or Snow White - just couldn´t do them on skin.

I still have this subtle puke-y feeling in my tummy,

and I don´t know where this is coming from.

I was thinking, maybe the scent paired with the silver of the locket ?

I just can´t explain it -

has somebody ever experienced an reaction like this ?

*sigh*

Lucy

Just wanted to add a note for the sensitive. When the anniversary scents first came out, I'd gotten a couple of imps of Candy Phoenix - worst most intense and immediate and PERSISTENT headache I've ever had to a scent. Scrubbing with soap wasn't enough, had to douse with vinegar and alcohol and scrub and then shower. WOW. And that wasn't a slather, just a light initial skin test.