Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
friendthegirl

Allergy Questions, Allergies and other reactions to oils

That is good to know, but now I'm wondering about the carrier oil thing. The site FAQ says that perfume oil is 15 - 80% perfume oil. I always assumed this meant that the other 20 - 85% would be carrier oil. I never thought this was a bad thing or made BPAL less "pure" or anything; from the limited amount I know about perfumery, there are some natural components that are simply way too strong to be used on their own, and carrier oils would help them smell "right" to our noses, and prevent them from irritating our skin in some cases. Is Bill really saying that the Lab uses no carrier oils at all, ever, even for the jasmine, rose, and cinnamon blends?

If that's the case, I'm starting to worry that maybe I should be diluting ALL my oils before I use them...

There's a thread about carrier oils where this question has been discussed quite a bit. (I think it's this one but that could be wrong). My take on it (keeping in mind that I am not an expert or affiliated with the lab, yada yada) is that 1) it's possible there are components in BPAL that are neither perfume/essential oils nor carrier oils (absolutes? resins? beeswax?), 2) that there's (possibly - my speculation) a difference between a blended perfume that's diluted with carrier oil, and a perfume blended from oils that have been diluted to safe levels, and 3) while I know individuals can have allergic reactions to different notes/strengths, if BPAL were generally unsafe to apply to the skin without dilution, the Lab would tell us. They have no incentive to sell perfumes that are unsafe to put on the skin! That's not to say that specific individuals might not be happier wearing the oils diluted, but I'm quite sure the Lab blends its oils to be skin safe to the general public.

ETA: I get all almond from Black Phoenix. :P

Edited by Anna D.

That is good to know, but now I'm wondering about the carrier oil thing. The site FAQ says that perfume oil is 15 - 80% perfume oil. I always assumed this meant that the other 20 - 85% would be carrier oil. I never thought this was a bad thing or made BPAL less "pure" or anything; from the limited amount I know about perfumery, there are some natural components that are simply way too strong to be used on their own, and carrier oils would help them smell "right" to our noses, and prevent them from irritating our skin in some cases. Is Bill really saying that the Lab uses no carrier oils at all, ever, even for the jasmine, rose, and cinnamon blends?

If that's the case, I'm starting to worry that maybe I should be diluting ALL my oils before I use them...

There's a thread about carrier oils where this question has been discussed quite a bit. (I think it's this one but that could be wrong). My take on it (keeping in mind that I am not an expert or affiliated with the lab, yada yada) is that 1) it's possible there are components in BPAL that are neither perfume/essential oils nor carrier oils (absolutes? resins? beeswax?), 2) that there's (possibly - my speculation) a difference between a blended perfume that's diluted with carrier oil, and a perfume blended from oils that have been diluted to safe levels, and 3) while I know individuals can have allergic reactions to different notes/strengths, if BPAL were generally unsafe to apply to the skin without dilution, the Lab would tell us. They have no incentive to sell perfumes that are unsafe to put on the skin! That's not to say that specific individuals might not be happier wearing the oils diluted, but I'm quite sure the Lab blends its oils to be skin safe to the general public.

ETA: I get all almond from Black Phoenix. :P

I've had oil in older imps do this too. It's not all or even most. My theory is that they evaporate to levels where things I'm very mildly allergic to reach a concentration high enough to cause skin reaction. Luckily, this has only happened with oils I wasn't that fond of. I'm sorry it happened with one you loved.

I haven't read the entirity of this thread, but I got rashiness from... Inferno. (Well named one, that!) But only on my throat, for some reason. I washed it off, and then applied makeup removal cream to the area-- I think the oiliness in there did what a carrier oil would have done and lightened it up a bit, and it stopped the burny sensation.

I've noticed, too, different times I get different reactions. Phoenix Steamworks made me slightly itchy the other night, yet when I applied it today, I had absolutely no dramas. I suspect for me (I don't usually get allergies to ANYTHING-- my skin is like leather!) it wasn't so much as the oil, but the oil in combination with other stuff-- maybe things I'd eaten or drunk or what-have-you.

Twilight did something odd to my lungs, but in fairness I was sniffing it quite a lot, lol. I got a horrible headache from it, then a few minutes later my chest hurt pretty badly and it was hard to breathe. No more lavender for more... I've known I'm allergic to it for a while, but I thought it was just a bad headache. Oops.

Mme Moriarty has always burned my skin just a *little* every time I put it on. I always thought there was some secret cinnamon in there but upon checking the notes listed, there isn't! I wonder what it could be. (??)

Anyone else have issues with Mme Moriarty?

I don't think it's the vanilla or the plum...maybe the red musk or the pomegranate? What are some other popular red musk blends? I probably have a few I could test out.

Mme Moriarty has always burned my skin just a *little* every time I put it on. I always thought there was some secret cinnamon in there but upon checking the notes listed, there isn't! I wonder what it could be. (??)

I don't think it's the vanilla or the plum...maybe the red musk or the pomegranate? What are some other popular red musk blends? I probably have a few I could test out.

I never liked Mme Moriarty on me, but my husband really liked it (it smelled fabulous on him), but then after a few wears he started getting welts where he would apply it. I have no idea what it was that affected him like that, but I don't think any other oil has caused a reaction on him.

I have this with Silk Road..

happy I really don t like that one :P

It could be red musk. Red musk is so intense, it seems like the most likely culprit to cause reactions, but I have no scientific basis for that. :P For other red musk blends - look for scents that look dark red-brown in the imp, like Scherezade, Smut, or Fenris Wolf.

Well I'm not sure if this is appropriate for here or if I should make a new topic for it someplace else.

I have a friends that is allergic to perfumes. She get's welts when she get's it on her and it's an asthma trigger. But she can use body mists that are made from fruit extracts. She said she hasn't been able to find a common note between the perfumes that cause her to react as she does. She really likes the idea of BPAL but isn't sure if she wants to risk it. Aren't mists really low in perfume oil concentration? Or are they more concentrated? Is there anyone out that that's allergic to perfumes but can wear perfume oil?

Also she has a friend that can't where perfume because she's allergic to alcohol. There is still alcohol in perfume oil right? Just less than regular perfume?

Although it probably varies from brand to brand, I think it's pretty safe to assume that body mists are more lightly concentrated that perfume oils. They're usually made with a combination of scent, water and/or alcohol, moisturizers, emulsifiers to hold it all together, that sort of thing. I don't know of any official rule of thumb, but when shopping I personally think of a body mist as something that is lighter than an eau de toilette. There's a chart here that has the rule-of-thumb percentages for perfume, cologne, eau de toilette and such that might be helpful in understanding those concentrations if you aren't familiar with them.

A lot of forum members use their BPAL oils to make their own sprays in varying concentrations - whether they buy supplies and do it from scratch or buy unscented product from an online company and just add scent. There are a few topics in Beyond Perfume about it including parfum sprays and dry oil spray. Some people also like to dilute with a carrier oil before wearing. So it's not impossible to enjoy BPAL even if you find it too intense or concentrated undiluted.

The really worrisome thing about your friend's allergies and asthma are that she doesn't know what the triggers are, whether it's an actual component of the scent, an additive in the perfume, or just the high concentration of the product that's making her react. If I were her, I would try to delve into that more deeply before spending money on a lot of products that could make me sick &/or that I might not be able to use. (Remember that once you've turned your BPAL oil into another product, like a spray or diluted oil, you are not permitted to sell or swap it.)

The second friend who is only allergic to the alcohol in perfume should be fine with BPAL perfume, it does not contain alcohol. AFAIK the only products that do are the room and linen sprays sold through the Trading Post.

In real life I have a slight juniper allergy, but not when it's in an oil.

However, I also am allergic to certain tropical and exotic fruits (mango, papaya, kumquat, persimmon, yuzu) and that seemed to carry over to the perfume world too.

The first and only time I've tested this was when I tried Tweedledee (kumquat) and as a result swelled up like a balloon in my face and throat. I'm not keen on trying any of the others, but then I don't feel like I'm missing out on much, since I don't like them in real life anyway.

My ex-husband had a more severe juniper allergy which made me avoid juniper altogether. But now I can wear it to my hearts content, MMMMM Loup.

Heeroluva, if your friend is allergic to all alcohols you'll probably want to warn her to avoid scents with rum or other alcohols in them... I don't know if there's real rum in, say, Black Pearl, but it's worth mentioning if it's important. :P

<3

Heeroluva, if your friend is allergic to all alcohols you'll probably want to warn her to avoid scents with rum or other alcohols in them... I don't know if there's real rum in, say, Black Pearl, but it's worth mentioning if it's important. :P

<3

Well it's a friend of a friend. Never actually met the person. Was just told that that she was allergic to alcohol and couldn't wear perfumes. No clue if that includes all types. But it's a good thing to keep in mind. Thanks much.

Glad I found this topic, I will be working my way through it, as I'm highly allergic to so much stuff, including most BPAL oils :P I've got a list from my dermatologist with stuff I should avoid but they're all chemical names and I have no idea how to 'translate' that into BPAL scent info :D

Ow and I'm not allergic to alcohol perfume as I spray it on my clothes, but I have no idea how to transform the BPAL oils into alcohol fragrances... :D Washing products like soaps and shower gel would be even better as they are not 'stay on' products and therefore better for my skin.

Any suggestions are welcome! :D

Glad I found this topic, I will be working my way through it, as I'm highly allergic to so much stuff, including most BPAL oils :D I've got a list from my dermatologist with stuff I should avoid but they're all chemical names and I have no idea how to 'translate' that into BPAL scent info :D

Ow and I'm not allergic to alcohol perfume as I spray it on my clothes, but I have no idea how to transform the BPAL oils into alcohol fragrances... :D Washing products like soaps and shower gel would be even better as they are not 'stay on' products and therefore better for my skin.

Any suggestions are welcome! :joy:

Well, the whole forum devoted to it would work stellar for what you need: Beyond Perfume

More specifically is a thread on "Making BPAL-scented Room & Linen Spray".

I imagine it's very tricky to figure out what chemical names mean in BPAL info. I tried to do a few searches for sites that may list Chemical names in connection with their "common" names. But I couldn't find anything :D Maybe you could go to the wiki, and search for the chemical names. Chances are, the search will direct you to the "common" name of the thing.

Although, BPAL has many scents that don't have -any- description on the notes at all. But, the reviews section should help you figure out what's present.

I feel slightly fortunate so far, and haven't had any reactions to Oils at all. I don't think I'm allergic to much at all o.o. I've never even had poison ivy after rolling in it for a while ^^'. But I have had sun poisoning. Go figure, right? Allergic to nothing but too much sun :P

Edited by CaffinatedAngel

I noticed last Winter some reaction to Dia de Les Muertos. I tried it recently again and it burned so bad. Heartbreaking as I love the thing. I have no idea what I'm reacting to. Any suggestions?

Glad I found this topic, I will be working my way through it, as I'm highly allergic to so much stuff, including most BPAL oils :D I've got a list from my dermatologist with stuff I should avoid but they're all chemical names and I have no idea how to 'translate' that into BPAL scent info :D Ow and I'm not allergic to alcohol perfume as I spray it on my clothes, but I have no idea how to transform the BPAL oils into alcohol fragrances... :D Washing products like soaps and shower gel would be even better as they are not 'stay on' products and therefore better for my skin.Any suggestions are welcome! :joy:
Well, the whole forum devoted to it would work stellar for what you need: Beyond PerfumeMore specifically is a thread on "Making BPAL-scented Room & Linen Spray".I imagine it's very tricky to figure out what chemical names mean in BPAL info. I tried to do a few searches for sites that may list Chemical names in connection with their "common" names. But I couldn't find anything :D Maybe you could go to the wiki, and search for the chemical names. Chances are, the search will direct you to the "common" name of the thing.Although, BPAL has many scents that don't have -any- description on the notes at all. But, the reviews section should help you figure out what's present.I feel slightly fortunate so far, and haven't had any reactions to Oils at all. I don't think I'm allergic to much at all o.o. I've never even had poison ivy after rolling in it for a while ^^'. But I have had sun poisoning. Go figure, right? Allergic to nothing but too much sun :P
Thank you *smile* Of course like any eager newbie *blush* I had to work my way first through the ton of info and found the topics/fora you mentioned :)But... still I have to figure out how to handle the oils when 'transforming' them as they spill from the imps onto my hands (therefore again rash) and they tend to dissolve latex gloves *huh?*So I'll be reading a lot and sometimes I am really sad cos I've discovered some GORGEOUS scents and I can only stash them away... This bloody hot weather doesn't help either pfff (sorry for moaning :joy:)Ow and bout the chemical stuff, even if I see the common names (say orange oil) there is still no way how to see in some BPAL scents what's in them... But fortunately I did found about some notes like 'spice', 'wood', 'violet', 'citrus', 'incense' that I should avoid.But hell I won't give up so easily LOL
I noticed last Winter some reaction to Dia de Les Muertos. I tried it recently again and it burned so bad. Heartbreaking as I love the thing. I have no idea what I'm reacting to. Any suggestions?
As far as my knowledge goes and I take a look at the description:This is a Mexican paean to La Huesuda: dry, crackling leaves, the incense smoke of altars honoring Death and the Dead, funeral bouquets, the candies, chocolates, foods and tobacco of the ofrenda, amaranth, sweet cactus blossom and desert cereus.myself I have to look out for these notes:-incense-tabacco-amaranthSad that you'd have to miss something you love :lol:

Glad I found this topic, I will be working my way through it, as I'm highly allergic to so much stuff, including most BPAL oils :P I've got a list from my dermatologist with stuff I should avoid but they're all chemical names and I have no idea how to 'translate' that into BPAL scent info :D

Irina

If your allergies are so severe then have you considered scent lockets? The tradingpost makes beautiful ones but there's also a thread dedicated to them in the Beyond Perfume forum -- it's possible to get base metal lockets on ebay etc much more cheaply than the BPTP ones. The oil doesn't touch your skin at all and it would make it much easier to try oils without having to learn to make sprays (and still being able to swap or sell the imps if the scent doesn't work for you).

Irina

If your allergies are so severe then have you considered scent lockets? The tradingpost makes beautiful ones but there's also a thread dedicated to them in the Beyond Perfume forum -- it's possible to get base metal lockets on ebay etc much more cheaply than the BPTP ones. The oil doesn't touch your skin at all and it would make it much easier to try oils without having to learn to make sprays (and still being able to swap or sell the imps if the scent doesn't work for you).

Thank you BlueSage :joy: They do sound lovely indeed!!! I will certainly do that, but first I'm still searching for MY SCENT. Right now I can't even test the cca 100 imps I've got *blush* properly, still have to find a way to get the oil out of the vial without getting any on my hands... My right hand is now quite blistered from opening too many, so I can't even 'crack' another imp open... So I'm saving up so I can afford to buy some licensed BPAL scented products that I can try without so much hassle... We'll see :D

But first I have to give my skin a break.

Try using rubber gloves to take off the cap, then use a pipette/dropper to take out a tiny bit of oil and drop it onto a cotton pad. :P That's what most people put in their scent lockets, so once it's dried down you can just (again, using the gloves if you want to be careful) waft the cotton pad toward your nose and smell.

Doesn't the oil dissolve the rubber gloves as well (already tried latex gloves and the oil burned holes in it...)? I'll keep trying :P

Do people tend to get contact & inhalation allergies equally from these?

My only contact allergy I'm aware of is raw wood/sawdust...think that would be an issue with anything derived from a type of wood?

In terms of coughing-sneezing-gagging-eyes-watering allergies, my worst, by far, is to lilies. In fact, if any of these say either tiger lily or stargazer lily, I'm just going to have to steer clear altogether. If there's anyone else with this allergy (only to lilies with that powdery stuff in them, not water lily or anything), could you let me know about any bad reactions you've had? :P

Just a couple of quick thoughts for now:

First, the previous post that mentioned the following:

BPAL Public Service Announcement:

If you have any doubts about whether or not you'll have an allergic reaction -- no matter how mild -- please do not use the scent.

Absolutely right on track.

That being said, people often confuse allergies, irritants, and sensitivities. They're not all the same but people usually call all of them allergies. Likewise, the treatment for each isn't the same, although avoidance and some other basic strategies will work for all of them. Fortunately, most chemicals in perfumes actually cause irritation or sensitivities rather than true allergies, although allergies do occur.

Other members have posted suggestions about using moisturizers. Excellent points. Having healthy skin will improve your response to any reaction. Drink plenty of water, use moisturizers, and reducing sun exposure should improve difficulties with irritants and sensitivities. Allergic reactions will still occur, but may be more tolerable provided you aren't dead. Seriously, see the first point about avoiding things if you really are allergic.

Next, folks who suggested using a barrier such as treating the skin prior to using the perfume were also right on target. Not only does it help moisturize the skin below it, but it blocks direct contact with the skin. Still risky for true allergies, but a good strategy for those with irritation and sensitivity. Scent lockets also are a great way to provide a barrier, and safer as well.

Also, the suggestions to dilute the perfume were good as well. Oils typically are very concentrated in terms of what is causing the problem. Irritants and sensitivities work based on exposure concentration and duration--decreasing the concentration may reduce the exposure to the point a reaction may not occur, but be cautious to monitor over time. Again, not a strategy for those with allergies, since an allergy will occur regardless of concentration (think of the stories you've heard of the kid who died because something was just made in a factory that processed nuts, even tho' there weren't any nuts in the product).

Finally, one of the points often mentioned in passing is worth highlighting--since anyone can be allergic, sensitive, or irritated by just about anything, and these oils are concentrated in ways that make these reactions likely, consider doing like many of these posters have noted. Try a new scent at home, where you have capability to take care of a problem if it occurs. Medications can help with some reactions, but the best course of action as noted by many is to wash off the affected area. Depending where and how much you put on, you may need to shower to fully remove the oil.

Overall, lots of good posts here—if you’re having problems, look through the posts to find some great tips!