Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
friendthegirl

Allergy Questions, Allergies and other reactions to oils

First, the previous post that mentioned the following:

BPAL Public Service Announcement:

If you have any doubts about whether or not you'll have an allergic reaction -- no matter how mild -- please do not use the scent.

Absolutely right on track.

That being said, people often confuse allergies, irritants, and sensitivities. They're not all the same but people usually call all of them allergies. Likewise, the treatment for each isn't the same, although avoidance and some other basic strategies will work for all of them. Fortunately, most chemicals in perfumes actually cause irritation or sensitivities rather than true allergies, although allergies do occur.

... Allergic reactions will still occur, but may be more tolerable provided you aren't dead. Seriously, see the first point about avoiding things if you really are allergic.

Again, not a strategy for those with allergies, since an allergy will occur regardless of concentration (think of the stories you've heard of the kid who died because something was just made in a factory that processed nuts, even tho' there weren't any nuts in the product).

I'm on the same page as you are, as I've been tested and turned inside out by doctors :P If you have allergies for cosmetics and/or perfume, you have to be real careful when using BPAL.

However...

Not all allergic reactions result in life-threatening anaphylactic reactions and potentially death.

Take a mild allergy like hay fever. Or atopy (allergic hypersensitivity affecting parts of the body not in direct contact with the allergen) like eczema, asthma, hives and rashes which could be really annoying and painful but again no life threat there.

Fortunately most people in this thread don't seem to experience deadly reactions when it comes to fragrances and perfume :D

I've taken to initial testing on the wrist, as it's easier to wash off and if the reaction is particularly bad, it is easier to treat.

Given that just smelling massoia oil caused a quite serious allergic reaction, I always smell in bottle first if I am encountering a new ingredient, just in case. I'd hate to think what might have happened if I'd but the Ivanashanka on my neck or something first.

I'm a bit wary of The Dodo after reading the reviews. Apparently many people are having irritation/reaction due to the cinnamon, I guess. I'm not allergic to anything but I hate being itchy. >.<

I'm actually lucky in that whatever causes most of my allergies to 'regular' perfumes isn't an issue with BPAL. There are a few notes I know I have to avoid, and tobacco is a bit of a heartbreaker for me as well, but there are many scents out there I can still use, for which I am grateful!

I wanted to help people with the glove issue, though; thanks to work I really know my stuff when it comes to glove types :P so...

You don't want to use latex for any of the perfume oils, as it will cause the gloves to dissolve. It's not that the BPAL oils are very corrosive, they just happen to be a specific weakness of latex/rubber gloves. You can get boxes of nitrile gloves [my personal favorite, good for pretty much anything but the nastier acids and ketones like nail polish remover or paint thinner] much like a box of latex gloves. Neoprene gloves [if you need something more like a pair of rubber dish gloves] should also be a good choice. If you cannot get either of those, vinyl gloves, like the ones you can get in hair dye kits, can work reasonably well.

All natural?

I'm a bit confused about if the oils are 100% natural. I see people saying they are, but I know - for instance - that strawberry isn't a natural oil, so therefore it must be synthetic.

I don't really care either way honestly because I don't mind some synthetics and I love BPAL either way, but I don't think people should recommend it on the basis that it's all natural if that is misleading.

Any ideas?

Edited by visualworlds

All natural?

I'm a bit confused about if the oils are 100% natural. I see people saying they are, but I know - for instance - that strawberry isn't a natural oil, so therefore it must be synthetic.

When the Lab uses a note that obviously isn't a readily extractable essential oil (like strawberry, brimstone, cotton candy, soil, leather, metal, certain florals) or one that's animal based like musk or civet, but is inhumane to extract, it is my understanding that these notes are bouquets, meaning that they are combinations of natural plant based extracts that are intended to approximate or mimic the scent of something else.

This thread, discussing different types of oils, might be helpful. Some of the other places this has been discussed in the past include the General Note discussion thread, the BPAL free for all questions thread, the Civet Discussion thread, the musks discussion thread (see in particular this post, with info from a class Beth taught) - if you search any of those threads for the word "bouquet" using the box at the lower left it should narrow the posts down for you.

(Of course, just because something is natural instead of synthetic doesn't mean that people with sensitivities or allergies can automatically use it... everything that I am allergic to (per my doctor's diagnosis) is 100% natural; poison ivy and poison oak are natural too. So I can understand why the argument comes up, that someone with chemical sensitivities might be able to use BPAL perfumes as opposed to commercial scented products - but because so many people with chemical sensitivities seem to have immune systems on high, high alert, I don't think it would be safe for them to assume this. Anyone with a history of serious reactions to fragrance needs to be extremely careful with all fragrances.)

All natural?

When the Lab uses a note that obviously isn't a readily extractable essential oil (like strawberry, brimstone, cotton candy, soil, leather, metal, certain florals) or one that's animal based like musk or civet, but is inhumane to extract, it is my understanding that these notes are bouquets, meaning that they are combinations of natural plant based extracts that are intended to approximate or mimic the scent of something else.

This thread, discussing different types of oils, might be helpful. Some of the other places this has been discussed in the past include the General Note discussion thread, the BPAL free for all questions thread, the Civet Discussion thread, the musks discussion thread (see in particular this post, with info from a class Beth taught) - if you search any of those threads for the word "bouquet" using the box at the lower left it should narrow the posts down for you.

(Of course, just because something is natural instead of synthetic doesn't mean that people with sensitivities or allergies can automatically use it... everything that I am allergic to (per my doctor's diagnosis) is 100% natural; poison ivy and poison oak are natural too. So I can understand why the argument comes up, that someone with chemical sensitivities might be able to use BPAL perfumes as opposed to commercial scented products - but because so many people with chemical sensitivities seem to have immune systems on high, high alert, I don't think it would be safe for them to assume this. Anyone with a history of serious reactions to fragrance needs to be extremely careful with all fragrances.)

Thanks! :P Sure, I understand the whole civet bouquet combo, and I understand that they can use different plant sources to blend to create fragrances. I don't think though that BPAL has ever said directly that they don't use fragrance oils? Have they ever said they have or haven't? I just want to know for sure so I don't give anyone the wrong answer.

All natural?

Thanks! :P Sure, I understand the whole civet bouquet combo, and I understand that they can use different plant sources to blend to create fragrances. I don't think though that BPAL has ever said directly that they don't use fragrance oils? Have they ever said they have or haven't? I just want to know for sure so I don't give anyone the wrong answer.

Yep, they've said that they don't use synthetics. I asked the exact same question once upon a time (not directly from the Lab, but on the forum) and got a very definite answer. I don't see it in their FAQ but I'm sure it's somewhere. I remember that a while ago some prototypes were sold on eBay that contained aldehydes, and it was said that that was the first time Beth had worked with synthetics.

There's a candy company here called The Natural Confectionery Co. that uses only natural flavorings, and they use grape, cherry, strawberry, apple, all kinds of bright candy flavors that you'd associate with artificial candy. Obviously candy-making and perfumery are kind of different, but still, it goes to show that it's possible to recreate those flavors from all-natural sources.

Just as an FYI, Fearful Pleasures should be on the caution list for anyone with spice sensitivities. I do not generally have any issues with the oils (other than breakouts on my neck), but I found that FP caused a burny sensation inside my elbow that was slightly uncomfortable and stingy for a good five or ten minutes. It seems to be okay on my wrists, but be careful with more delicate skin!

I was reading the description of Wiley's Swamp last night and I didn't recognize a few of the names so I looked them up on Wikipedia and now I have some concerns.

Bog-Laurel contains grayanotoxin, which when ingested lowers blood pressure, and may cause respiratory problems, dizziness, vomiting, or diarrhea.

I know it says ingested but if it can get in the skin is that a problem as well?

Virginia Creeper - Oxalate crystals are also contained in the sap, and can cause irritation and skin rash.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not saying Beth is using things in the oils that would hurt us but this really makes me scratch my head :P

Please don't get me wrong, I am not saying Beth is using things in the oils that would hurt us but this really makes me scratch my head :P

Of course, I would suggest you e-mail the Lab for the definitive answer, but I think those probably are in the category Beth was referring to when they posted the disclaimer on the website (it's on the welcome page) that says "Terms used on this site such as 'brimstone', 'saltpeter', 'opium', and the like are intended as descriptive copy, and are not literal translations of the ingredients of our scents." Those are just a few of the notes listed in BPAL scents that are there to describe what the perfume smells like or the feeling it's supposed to invoke as opposed to a laundry list of what it actually in there... metal, bubblegum, wine, leather, dust, smoke, sugar are some of the more common ones that I am pretty sure fall in that category too.

It is a little more confusing when it's a plant name, since we're all very used to plant extracts being used to make perfumes, so again, if you have concerns the buck stops with the Lab's customer service. But given the huge liability in using something dangerous and the compassion the Lab shows in charity work and such, I can't picture Beth suddenly deciding to use a few known skin irritants or poisons.

Of course, I would suggest you e-mail the Lab for the definitive answer, but I think those probably are in the category Beth was referring to when they posted the disclaimer on the website (it's on the welcome page) that says "Terms used on this site such as 'brimstone', 'saltpeter', 'opium', and the like are intended as descriptive copy, and are not literal translations of the ingredients of our scents." Those are just a few of the notes listed in BPAL scents that are there to describe what the perfume smells like or the feeling it's supposed to invoke as opposed to a laundry list of what it actually in there... metal, bubblegum, wine, leather, dust, smoke, sugar are some of the more common ones that I am pretty sure fall in that category too.

It is a little more confusing when it's a plant name, since we're all very used to plant extracts being used to make perfumes, so again, if you have concerns the buck stops with the Lab's customer service. But given the huge liability in using something dangerous and the compassion the Lab shows in charity work and such, I can't picture Beth suddenly deciding to use a few known skin irritants or poisons.

Thanks I&P. At first when I read that info I was a bit worried but I just knew in my heart Beth would not do such a thing.

Well, I did have a violent reaction to an LE with Massoia just from inhaling it, so there is always a possibility that you are allergic to something in there, but I'm randomly extra sensitive to certain things.

I'm hoping this is the right place to ask this - has anyone else ever sniffed themselves sick on BPAL? I got my first imps yesterday, and Spellbound gave me a killer headache - after that, all the ones I sniffed didn't give me a headache, but started making me feel queasy and triggered my gag reflex. I had to get up and scrub my arm free of BPAL last night, and the B&BW lotion I put on after that just made the queasiness worse.

Even now, I feel a bit nauseous, even if I'm just thinking about BPAL scents. Could I be reacting badly to some notes, or could the oils just be too strong for me? This is really disappointing, I don't want this to sour my experience with BPAL and I'd really hate it if every oil I got from now on made me sick. Other perfumes haven't made me sick - except for the really cloyingly sweet ones that tweenies adore - so this is one of the first bad reactions I've gotten from a scent. :P

BPAL oils are very high quality and if you're not used to powerful smells it is very easy to overload your nose/brain. When I first began making my own soap, the lavender oil gave me a killer headache. I knew that I was not allergic to lavender and had a lot of previous exposure to it, so I stuck it out and now I can be around it at any time with no issue. [i actually hear a lot of people mention lavender specifically in this way, I think it's just particularly antiseptic or strong.] Personally, initial exposure to herby smells tend to give me a bit of a headache, but I eventually acclimate. Sweet floral or foody scents will make me queasy no matter how much I smell them, though. A lot of the more popular BPAL scents seem to be sweet so I'm always a little cautious trying new ones.

Trying to recover from overloading your nose using a another scented product, even if you're used to it, will only make it worse, and it sounds like that could be what happened to you. Your brain is trying to process all these new smells at once, can't handle the load at first, and then you just tossed something on top of that load. It is a normal reaction though.

Sniffing the BPAL samples directly out of the bottle can be overkill even if you're used to the smells, again because the oils are very potent. If I'm sniffing anything out of an imp I'll hold it about two feet away and waft it a bit so it isn't overpowering.

If you think you have an allergy or a sensitivity to an ingredient, then I would not suggest exposing yourself to it to try to get over it. However, it is definitely possible that you're experiencing sensory overload that won't affect your health aside from that overloaded headache/nausea feeling. Sniffing fresh coffee beans can actually reset your nose, like a palette cleanser, so if you don't mind the smell of that, it could potentially help a bit with the sensory overload.

Absolutely use your best judgment, though. If you think it was an allergy, or a more gentle follow up test still makes you sick, then do what's best for you and stay away from it.

Good luck, I hope you at least overcome your nauseous association with the oils, and maybe even find something you really enjoy! :P

i got my first imp order from bpal. i was ultra excited, until i put gluttony on. now i feel VERY nauseous , i fell dizzy, i feel overall SICK.

i fell very bad. i scrubbed the scent off. but i its still lingering. I relli want to puke.

Any reasons for this?

Is it just me? could it be an allergy? i have no clue.

But to me its the worst smelling thing in the world. now suddenly everything smells bad. I mean seriously, im not going to try any other scents, cos suddenly they all seem to smell like gluttony.

Could it be a hormonal thing or what.

Could anyone tell me the notes in gluttony that could be causing this reaction?

edit: i know there are some weird mistakes in this, but i have to go lie down. its bad.

Edited by petrina678

Hormones can play a part in scents smelling off whether on the skin or in the bottle.

And there may be notes in gluttony that simply do not agree with you. There are notes that give me headaches, and that awaken (with a vengeance) my allergies and/or trigger my asthma.

I review so I can learn what specific notes to avoid, but (if you don't care to review) at the very least note down as much information as you can so you can learn to avoid what does not like you.

Notes that turn on the skin can also cause adverse reactions - there are notes that turn nasty on me and give me the stomach-twists because they get so very, very bad. (I take note of those, too) Heck, even notes that turn and don't bother me, per se, are disappointing (buttery notes turn to fresh, crisp, celery on me - it's so odd!) but it's just a matter of working through it (skin chemistry is such an individual thing, after all).

Try rubbing alcohol to cut the scent of the oil still lingering on your skin. And don't despair - you aren't alone.

thanks for the reply, perhaps it is my hormones.

But i do wonder, why is it department store,regular perfume do not give people,or me such reactions?

i will take note to never open that imp again!

OMG Are you allergic to nuts??????

Here are the notes in Gluttony:

Thick, sugared and bloated with sweetness. Dark chocolate, vanilla, buttercream, and hops with pralines, hazelnut, toffee and caramel.

Sugar Skull made me feel very very ill. I spilled a tiny drop on my desk I was sick for 3 DAYS!!! I smelled it everywhere. eck.

OMG Are you allergic to nuts??????

Here are the notes in Gluttony:

Thick, sugared and bloated with sweetness. Dark chocolate, vanilla, buttercream, and hops with pralines, hazelnut, toffee and caramel.

Sugar Skull made me feel very very ill. I spilled a tiny drop on my desk I was sick for 3 DAYS!!! I smelled it everywhere. eck.

nope im not allergic to nuts, in fact i love hazelnuts...

but OMG sugar skull made me feel sick too! i wonder what is similar in both of them

Gluttony (and to a lesser extent, Sugar Skull) are both very very rich and foody. It may not be a specific ingredient in the Gluttony, just that your stomach is not in the mood for rich food?

But when you come to think of it, nausea could be a legitimate result of the deadly sin of gluttony!!

Allgeries are the main reason I've stayed away from perfume my whole life. BPAL had been amazingly non-sneezey for me. . . until. I got an imp of Midnight in, I liked the smell, tested it on my skin, and all night, headache, runny nose, sneezing, watery itchy eyes. DEFINITELY allergic. It's the only one I've had that reaction to, and there's so many notes in it, it makes me wonder which one is the most likely culprit.

gluttony made me feel like crap too actually. it just kind of went plastic on me after like an hour and even after scrubbing it off i could still smell it on me. i just had to take sleeping pills and make myself go to sleep because it just kept getting worse.

I love most BPAL especially since I began experimenting with making my own perfume cos of allergies. But initially I reacted very very allergic to most oils. So I've made a routine that helps me enjoy any scent:

-I never smell the oils directly from the bottle/imp: I take a toothpick/q-tip, brush it against the cap, wrap it in a tissue and then take a whiff

-I always use vinyl gloves when opening an imp so i don't get any oil on my fingers. Bottles are even better cos I don't need the gloves.

-I always dilute the oils before applying them directly to the skin, mostly at least x 5! (using jojoba oil)

-If I apply an oil for the first time I do it on an the back of my hand where I can wash it off easily (I use handmade soap with coffee grains, a wonderful natural deodorizer) and never directly but using the scented q-tip.

I think that having sensitivities means you cannot be too careful with highly concentrated oils like BPAL's. But it's really worth it, it made my BPAL scent journey a lot more fun!!!