Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
friendthegirl

Allergy Questions, Allergies and other reactions to oils

I believe I read somewhere it has to do with pores being open more after showers. (Ie- it has to do with the heat more than just the water) I'd also imagine it makes a difference that when you shower you do also clean off the oil your skin produces itself.

Don't hold me to it, or quote me on it, that's just what I heard through the grapevine at this point.

I find the only bad reaction I've had is to some of the scents with cardamom. I sneeze like CRAZY from it. Never even made it onto my skin for those few oils. I can bairly open it before sneezing senseless. Hence why Spanked was so swiftly swapped for Snowblind with me.

I have loved many blends with cinnamon in the past, and have had no allergic reactions.

Yesterday, I tried Eclipse for the first time. I never smelled the cinnamon; on me it smells cherry with a hint of almond. However, immediately after applying, I got horrible bright red welts that itched and burned.

Is there anything else in this blend that might cause an allergic reaction? Here is the description of Eclipse:

All the glory, warmth and majesty of the sun -- darkened. A delicious blend of bitter almond, vanilla, frankincense and heliotrope, with a drop of cinnamon.

Now I'm afraid to try other blends with cinnamon, including my beloved Tintagel, which, so far, has caused no problems.

BTW, today I put Eclipse only lightly on the sleeves of my clothing - the reaction is back, at least the itching and burning. So far, no welts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many people have reactions to cinnamon or cassia (including myself). I love the smell, and eat the finest Vietnamese cinnamon almost daily, but the oil cannot touch my skin.

Gypsybaby, many thanks for finding the thread. I'm headed right over there.

lookingglass, heavy sighs. I love what cinnamon adds to blends.

I'll usually put the oil in my hair if I'm worried about a skin reaction. It seems to hold the scent a bit longer too.

Now I'm afraid to try other blends with cinnamon, including my beloved Tintagel, which, so far, has caused no problems.

I react to many of the cinnamon blends as well--no huge welts or anything, usually just a more or less obvious reddening of the skin--but so far I've never had a problem with Tintagel (knock wood).

Just finished reading the entire allergy thread - long, but fascinating.

Other people have mentioned severe problems with almond oil. Eclipse seems to have much more almond oil in it than cinnamon.

Therefore, I'm going to pretend it's the almond rather than the cinnamon doing me in, 'cause I so love the smell of cinnamon and am kind of meh about almond.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! (unless the itchy welts arise again).

I just slathered on some Chuparosa and got covered in red hives everywhere it touched. Anyone have any ideas what the offending component may be? It's a floral voodoo blend, no cinnamon whatsoever. *sigh* It was lovely, too.

:D I was so in love with MME. MORIARTY, MISFORTUNE TELLER, and Friday I noticed tons of horrible teeny red bumps that itch/burn everywhere I had applied it. So both sides of my neck and the areas on both wrists look nasty. Hurts less today but the skin looks and feels icky. Such a shame. :P

eta bx i mixed up which oil i used. doh.

Edited by violetblue

I'm so bummed. I think I'm having my first allergic reaction. I put on Tintagel today, and have been sneezing and stuffed up ever since. I'm trying to figure out, based on the description, what might be causing the problem!

I'm usually only allergic to pollens and grasses. Oh, and every animal on earth. :/

I thought I wouldn't be able to wear Jack, until I figured out that I couldn't put it on undiluted right after taking a shower. Dilution in a body spray base or just waiting until later to put it directly on my skin seems to work better.

I'm going to have to try Jailbait again when I haven't just showered. I hope it works!

I can't figure out why some BPAL cinnamons are fine on me, like Eclipse and Chimera, and some make me react (Harlot and Three Witches). Are there multiple types of cinnamon oil?

It is definitely my experience that the skin is more sensetive to irritation directly after a shower. Tintagel is one of my favorite oils that I wear constantly without a problem, but one day I put it on within 10 minutes of getting out of the shower and ooooh, it burned!

I can't figure out why some BPAL cinnamons are fine on me, like Eclipse and Chimera, and some make me react (Harlot and Three Witches). Are there multiple types of cinnamon oil?

Yep. I know there is at the very least two different kinds: cinnamon leaf and cinnamon bark oils, and that cinnamon bark is supposed to be stronger/harsher and thus the one more likely to cause reactions.

Then there may be plants that have cinnamon-like fragrances. For example, carnation has a clove-like undertone so some people may smell an oil with carnation in it and assume it's clove they smell because they're not experienced enough to tell the difference. Cassia is the obvious cinnamon smell-alike, but then, the lab seems to go to great lengths to specify when either cassia or cinnamon is used in a blend, I guess because it's such a common trigger for skin reactions.

HTH!

Interesting! Now I see why cassia gives me some irritation, too. And I'm adding grapefruit to the Bad List after Cheshire Cat was a naughty kitty on my arm. Itchville!

Do any BPALers have anecdotes/info/suggestions to offer regarding eye irritation that may be related to certain notes?

I've been reading back through this thread and have seen Czernobog, Midnight, Snake Oil, and Tears/Hurricane/Lightning mentioned as oils that have made their wearers' eyes water and/or redden. Personally, I recently had a reaction to the TAL oil Hand of Hermes that took a couple of days to subside (though I should mention that my eyes are extremely sensitive right now due to various non-scent-related issues).

Are there any other scents that BPALers with easily-irritated eyes (e.g., dry, allergic, contact-lens-wearing) have found problematic? Are there any specific notes that you find you consistently have to watch out for? Or are there just certain days or times of year that you find you have to stick with uber-light scents?

Are there any strategies you've discovered for alleviating scent-related eye irritation, e.g., does keeping the oil on your wrists and away from your cleavage/throat help?

Thanks in advance for any info or suggestions!

As I was trying to sniff from my Red Phoenix bottle, I accidently got too close and my nose smooshed on the rim. Twice. :P I'm usually not allergic or sensitive to anything, but about 15 minutes later I rubbed my nose and I guess some of the oil got onto the mucus membrane area and OUCH!! My poor nose was burning up inside and rinsing didn't help much. So I took some kleenex dipped in oil and 'washed' out my nose with that, which actually helped a good deal.

So I guess the moral of this embarrasing story is that even for those who aren't allergic to anything, you should still be careful with the harsher oils in sensitive areas. And that carrier oil dilutes the oils better than water.

I have to learn not to try anything marked "spicy" until it's been a few hours post shower. Today, Tintagel, which smelled so delicious, was the culprit. Every spot the oil touched is red. The patterns it has made are kind of amusing...*sigh* I'll try this again later in the day, because I really did like it.

:D I was so in love with MME. MORIARTY, MISFORTUNE TELLER, and Friday I noticed tons of horrible teeny red bumps that itch/burn everywhere I had applied it. So both sides of my neck and the areas on both wrists look nasty. Hurts less today but the skin looks and feels icky. Such a shame. :P

I also wound up with a rash from Mme Moriarty - I still have a rash over 24 hours later, and I washed it off *right* away. I wonder what it is in there that I'm allergic to - I pretty much never have skin reactions to oils. Huh.

Hey all,

I'm semi-addicted to BPAL. I like it, but I don't seem to LIKE IT LIKE IT. Any way, part of my problem is that almost all of the scents I've tried have made my eyes dry and itchy. Does any one else get this? I've been expirimenting with the amount of oil I put on and where. It seems to be helping but it's still there.

Winged

Hi guys.

I tried sending an email to the lab, but it's been a few days and I probably should send another one... However, I'm curious as to your responses as well.

My grandmother is begging for a bottle of Snow Maiden. I'm overly cautious about it, considering that she's had breast cancer, a rare form of mesotheleoma, and all the lymph nodes removed from one arm. I was wondering if anyone's familiar with any reactions, concerning missing lymph nodes and the like. Any cancer survivors here that can shed some light on this?

I wear Snake Charmer a lot and have never had a problem before...Last night I put some on my hubby to see how it would smell on him and while I was huffing his arm, I got some oil on the top of my nose! :P

Burningggggggg...EEEEEEK! It didn't turn red or anything but it hurt a little. Now I know not to get it on my nose again!!! :D