Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Juliet

Sweet pea with stargazer lily, calla lily, heliotrope, honeysuckle, white musk and a touch of fresh pear.

Wet: Sweet, light, and fresh. Perfect for the mood I'm in.

First on: Wow, I didn't know sweet pea and pear could smell so nice together. The pear is stronger than I was expecting since it was just a touch. It's got a gorgeous white musk, the heliotrope is behaving itself, and the lilies are wonderfully soft.

Dry: This is so not the type of scent I would say I love, but I do love this. To me, it's the perfect soft floral, just enough sweetness without going saccharine, never going powdery or old-lady. Calming and light, but still has some throw. This is a classic scent, and very appropriate for Juliet.

eta: description. Edited by Shollin

In the bottle:

Pears! Sweet pears! Oh, I so want to eat that. That's absolutely gorgeous. There's a touch of floral in there, too, but I can't pick out what it is. I'm inexperienced at floral scents.

On skin wet:

It's mostly musk on me right now- everything else has been eaten. Waiting for the drydown to hope something else comes through!

Dried down:

It's a very sweet floral- a tinge of pear, with a light musky tinge. I don't usually wear florals so I can't tell yet if this is something I'd wear, but it's certainly a beautiful scent. I think I'll wear it out today and see how I feel, because it is so so beautiful.

When I first apply this oil, I close my eyes slightly to savor it better, because Juliet is simply that beautiful straight off the wand. It’s a floral blend with the lightest hint of sharp sweetness that reminds me of white grape juice.

The sharp sweetness mellows back after only a few minutes (such a pity!) but the floral aura surrounding it remains. My normal color-scent associations are deserting me; it’s just a lovely floral scent.

After settling in, it becomes subtle, like a pastel wash of its first beauty -- something like a pale dawn sky, with many colors shimmering through it. I would have preferred the intensity to remain, but this has its own beauty. The grape sweetness is coming back gradually, too. There is nothing sexual about this scent, but it’s very feminine and very beautiful.

I am enchanted. I am sure that I will wear this again.

Wet: nondescript floral. Pretty, but nothing special.

Dry: Almost nothing...and then an hour later, I'm enveloped in this gorgeous floaty cloud of lilies. Very delicate and feminine, the kind of subtle scent that makes me keep turning my head to sniff, and thinking "Where's that coming from? Is that me?"

I ended up trading it for something I liked better, because I'm slightly overloaded with delicate florals :P But this was a lovely scent, and I'd definitely recommend it to my fellow light-floral lovers.

Am I the only person who thinks this smells a lot like Alice? I get the same sugary smell from both of them, except Alice is a little creamier. It's odd, since they don't have any notes in common at all. Well. Suffice to say that Juliet may be a little too sweet for me to wear most of the time. I feel like my wrists have been transformed to solid cane sugar. There's nothing wrong with that, but I could really use something with a little more bite...

At first I smell a very faint tinge of pear and sweet pea that is amping into the stratosphere. I love lilies and heliotrope, and I like pear too. But sweet pea goes nutso on my skin. It's really not behaving itself at all. When it's dry I can smell lily a little bit, but not enough to save the scent for me.

Mouse's Long and Sad Tale is the only BPAL blend I've found so far that works on me even though it has sweet pea in it. I was hoping Juliet would be another exception to the rule, but sadly no.

Bottle: Sharply floral and very clean smelling.

Wet: LOL, reminds me a bit of clean laundry, but much prettier. It’s very soft and feminine.

Dry: Not much different, but the sharpness of the bottle-smell has returned, a bit of bite in this very lovely perfume.

Later: Almost exactly the same, but less intense.

Imagery: This is the perfume I would imagine a very fiery, but still beautiful and feminine young woman to wear. Absolutely perfect for Juliet.

Summary: This is such a girly perfume, I love it! It’s not very me, but I can’t help but enjoy it. Suffice to say, I'll be wearing it anytime I want to amp up the girliness factor.

In Imp: Strong, flowery. A little coconut maybe?

Wet: This smells very floral and reminds me also of suntan lotion. This makes me think of Florida (I live in PA and have family in FL so we always went there when I was a kid). Ah. I get what this reminds me of. Public restrooms. I mean after they're cleaned. And it reminds me of Florida because we DROVE there....you got it....pitt stop in every state. Oh boy. Not what I was going for in a scent.

Dry Down: Overkill on the florals for my skin. I need to wash this off before bed. This is not a scent for me.

Juliet starts out very sharp on me. The florals seem to combine to create something very powdery, and there is a green note in there as well.

After it calms down, this turns into a very pleasant soft floral, but it is still quite powdery. I think I can smell the honeysuckle, and the musk is nice and light. I don’t think I can detect the pear at all though. It’s worth another try, but it’s not something I loved immediately.

In the imp: honeysuckle and a slight burnt smell.

Wet on me: smells like candy – light and sugary and a little bit tart.

After a few minutes: same; very light; florals going a little sour/bitter.

Drydown: fresh, powdery, and sweet, but it seems the floral blend in this may not suit me. It’s very sweet and if I inhale deeply it smells sour/bitter. Have similar issues with Ophelia and Helena; maybe white rose or stargazer lily or calla lily that does this on me?

Far drydown: latex with a dusting of sugar on top. Definitely not for me!

In the imp: honeysuckle and a slight burnt smell.

Wet on me: smells like candy – light and sugary and a little bit tart.

After a few minutes: same; very light; florals going a little sour/bitter.

Drydown: fresh, powdery, and sweet, but it seems the floral blend in this may not suit me. It’s very sweet and if I inhale deeply it smells sour/bitter. Have similar issues with Ophelia and Helena; maybe white rose or stargazer lily or calla lily that does this on me?

Far drydown: latex with a dusting of sugar on top. Definitely not for me!

This is exactly my experience, too.

When I first put it on, my initial thought was "BLEAH! Black Licorice!" :P

The licorice smell eventually faded on me, and now it just smells plastic-y... the "sugar-dusted latex" label fits it perfectly.

This one's definitely going in the swap pile. *shudder*

--M

Edit: This is my favorite GC scent ever, but I like it aged. When it's fresh, I don't really like the pear, and the scent just smells completely different. But, when it's aged, it's just exactly the perfect scent for me. This was a mystery for me for a while, because I even suspected that I had a mislabeled imp when I compared my fresh 5mL to the initial imp that I had!

It's just absolutely breathtaking. I get compliments on it whenever I wear it.

So I am wearing BPAL's Juliet today, and it is striking me as very similar to Lush's B Never Cocktail guest soap (ltd. holiday '07 stuff). I have no freakin clue why, as it seems that none of the notes are the same. I never even considered trying Juliet because it sounded like it would be too sharp or too fresh smelling, and I'm not a huge fruit fan (or so I claim....)

I caught a whiff of Juliet at a recent Meet & Sniff, and scooped up an imp because it reminded me a lot of Sleepy Moon, which is my favorite BPAL (and the Cocktail soap smells kind of like Sleepy Moon which is why I scooped it up in the first place). After putting Juliet on my skin today, I realized that it also reminds me strongly of the Cocktail soap. Why? How? I don't know. It doesn't even have ylang ylang in it!

All I can say for sure is, Juliet has a striking similarity to Sleepy Moon and Cocktail to my nose. Should I blame chemistry? My nose? Whatever the case, I'm taken and need two bottles soon.

Oh, what does it smell like? Well, I can try to explain....it's a very soft, jasmine-esque floral (maybe this is from the honeysuckle?) with a lovely roundness from the white musk.

Seriously. Juliet is a hidden gem that I never would have sought out and I'm so glad she's this beautiful. Not joking about ordering two bottles ASAP (and this is coming from someone who owns like 10 bottles and doesn't often buy them).

Lurve lurve lurve lurve lurve :P

5 out of 5

Edited by AEris

Out of bottle:

Very strong right out of the imp. The flowers are completely to the forefront.

On Skin wet:

The lilies are overwhelming but I can start smelling the white musk holding it together. No sign of the pear tho. Extremely feminine.

Dry down:

The flowers are calming down and blending more. It has relatively lost the initial punch of the lilies. Where's the pear? I can't believe how much the scent has calm down on my skin. Wow the way the scent calms down smells nothing like the first impressions. I think I can smell the pear but the scent is so delicate now. My skin's totally absorbed it. I think the pear is now emerging from the white musk. Such beautiful drydown for this scent

Overall Thoughts:

I was put off by how strong the imp was in the beginning since I'm more of a subtle scent girl. The drydown though completely changed my opinion of Juliet. My skin completely absorbed the smell and tamed the power of the lilies in this one. The white musk blooms on my skin with a backdrop of flowers. It also took a long while for the pear to emerge. Even now, I can only get a hint of it since the white musk seems to be holding everything together. My body chemistry totally changes this one on me and I like it. T

Verdict: Keeping the Imp and Thinking about upgrading to 5ml

Upon first whiff: Whoa, I am getting strangled by the honeysuckle bushes that grew outside my window as a child. There is also a bitter and vaguely incense-y note here.

On the skin: Still notably honeysuckle, but now I get faint notes of the sweet pea and lily.

Later in the day: I smell like a field of flowers, though the scent is light. Much prettier after I've worn this for a while than upon first application.

ow ow ow

this gave me an instant headache that I cannot get rid of

I tried washing it off my skin a minute or two after and I can't get it off

In Vial:sweet fruity floral

Wet:Very nice, not your average floral. The sweetpea makes a difference in the overall blend. I am not able to pick out the other individual notes.

Drydown: You know I just figured out what this reminds me of. The perfume 'love's babysoft'. I don't even know if they still make it but I used to wear it as a pre-teen. This is a nice floral, but I still cannot pick out the other notes.

on me, this is a really interesting scent. It reminds me a bit of Lady of Shallot, but that is a more melancholy scent...a bit colder. this is a creamy lily scent, to my nose....I don't really smell anything else, other than lily, and I guess I am discovering I like lily (real stargazers make my allergies go nuts, though, and the scent is sickly sweet--same with sweet peas).

I think I might agree with Persephone's Child about Alice...I couldn't place it, but I kept thinking about Alice perfume today...I am not sure why. At some point, when it is drying down, I get this weird whiff of Dragon's Milk, too! And then, randomly, I smelled incense(?) At any rate, this perfume is very sweet, very innocent--when I sniff this, I get the mental picture of that Waterhouse maiden, dressed in pink, with the wind blowing her hair...

At any rate, I wish I had smelled this before The Lady, because I actually like this a bit better--but I don't know that I can justify two light florals! Maybe I ought to visit the swaps page....

Holy CRAP that's a lot of honeysuckle.

I waited an hour... then another...

BUMMED. Apparently honeysuckle is another floral note that I am like crazy. This is as pure as a single note on me, and incredibly strong.

:P and this sounded like a great blend too. Sigh.

In the imp: Sweet, sweet pear, and some kind of glaringly bright, almost chemical floral.

On wet: Icky sweet pea (which, for whatever reason, hates me), and something that reminds me of my beloved Sleepy Moon! Unexpected and interesting!

Drydown: There's something powdery in here - it's doing the same itchy-dusty thing to my nose that most orchid scents do. Aside from that...this is a really hard scent for me to pin down! I'm still getting the sickly sweet pea (if a flower could go "off" the way food does, that would be how I'd describe my nose's interpretation of that note), and I think the lilies and honeysuckle have banded together with it to form this gang of icky, overwhelming floral-ness. Can't tell if the heliotrope has jumped into the mix - my nose is being pummeled and robbed as I speak...er, type. I can tell you what I'm *not* smelling, though - white musk and pear! The two notes I was *hoping* to get a good dose of. Ain't that always the way? :P

Overall: Another "not a good scent for me" blend. The florals are too sharp, too cloying, and none of them seem to like me very much. I was kinda hoping for the lilies, pear, and musk to dominate, but that simply was not to be. I'm not particularly surprised, though - sweet pea is one of my absolute ick notes, and honeysuckle isn't far behind, so I had reservations from the get-go - but the white musk fan in me had to at least give this scent a shot. Which I now have. :D 2/5

In the imp: Sweet, kinda floral-y but not really. It's a generic enough smell, not much to actually pick out individual note wise. I'm wondering if this is a really well-blended scent, or if it's just the way the imp smells.

Wet: Clean sort of scent, though it's more like a freesia soap than anything else at the initial moment of application. I think that familiar scent I'm remembering is the white musk...it's a sharp, not so mellow at first sort of scent. It's a bit...aquatic? Like the scent of the ocean sweetened by sunscreen. No, there goes that, it's back to florals again.

Drying: Oh there are the florals. No rose scent that I love so much, but possibly that's because there are no roses in this one ^^. Whatever the flower is, I'm liking it quite a bit, though I do wish it wasn't quite so astringent...or at least not as sharp in the nose.

Dry-fade: Florals...they're very sweet and innocent, a nice green scent for a quiet dinner for two with someone special or an idyllic walk in a forest with someone you can talk to. It's a little too floral-y for my picky picky tastes, but it's very good as a scent on the whole.

imp: musk and sweet pea.

wet: the lily and other florals kinda cloud this one, it smells like a very generic floral soap. not bad, but not especially exciting either.

dry: luckily, the sweet pea is the prominent note once dry. this is sweet and feminie and pretty.

Mmm, this smells very lovely in the imp! Sweet and innocent floral-mostly sweet pea and honeysuckle. I looove sweet pea, but honeysuckle sometimes hates my skin and I can see this blend going funky on me.

On my skin the white musk and pear come out to play! Nice! This is a very nice blend. I'm going to give it some time to dry down completely, but to be honest, I don't think I need it. It's pleasant and nothing goes funky on me (the honeysuckle actually behaves!), but...I don't know. I just don't love it. Basically, when I think about everything else I have in my collection that I love, I know I would never end up wearing this.

That said, if the notes sound up your alley, I would absolutely recommend trying this out. Very fresh and pretty and feminine.

In the bottle: Lovely, very delicate and feminine but not weak; I can detect each flower distinctly, as well as some magnolia - and yet the whole bouquet is beautifully balanced as a blend. It's lightly sweet, very floral, mildly powdery and only very slightly fruity - the pear is very faint though detectable, natural and not overly sweet.

Wet: Sweeter, definitely amped sweet pea in particular, and also stargazer lily. There must be other lilies or other flowers not noted, as it's much more powdery as well. The honeysuckle has amped, but it's somewhat overpowered by the sweet pea, lilies, and what I'm sure is magnolia. That latter note becomes strong and heady on me typically and certainly now, but at least it is a very pleasant, extremely fragrant and almost citrusy magnolia. If I strain, I can sort of detect very faint pear.

Dry: The magnolia has quieted; while it remains the strongest note, it's not overwhelming the others, and is absolutely the best magnolia note I've smelled in a BPAL blend; it doesn't lose that fresh, citrusy quality and has a beautifully elegant and romantic feel, especially combined with the similar qualities of the calla lily. The almost too-sweet sweet pea has faded dramatically, as has the unknown super powdery flower.

Later: Stargazer lily persists as does honeysuckle, though the latter mingles so deeply it's hard to single out. Wonderfully, the heliotrope has amped, or perhaps been revealed by the strong flowers backing off, and is joyously bright. The pear too has returned, adding juicy, almost vanilla'ed sweetness. White musk, here sweet and cautiously sexy, binds everything together creating a feel of ultimate, feminine youth and beauty.

Summary: Amazingly, the honeysuckle and sweet pea, fused seamlessly along with the juicy pear, amp so greatly that they just barely edges out magnolia as the foresmost floral. Only the faintest hint of powder from the SG lily remains. Full-bloom pear-infused honeysuckle and sweet pea, sweetly vanilla'ed white musk, crisp yet creamy magnolia, glorious heliotrope, and soft lilies. The notes harmonize so completely that I can make distinctions only with great difficulty. It's a sweet, fruity-floral glowing scent that evokes both youth and nobility. Alluringly girlish, utterly feminine. Fairly low throw, but great lasting power.

It is on the sweet side for me, but I shall probably get a bottle of this and layer it with something fresh and green; possibly The Passionate Shepherd to his Love. I also agree that this is very classic and romantic as others have observed. :P

At first it's Love's Baby Soft. Then it turns into something cloying and uber-floral that makes me choke. I smell like really bad restroom air freshener.