Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Yuletide 2004

The juice of ripe, bursting, blood red holly berries.

In the bottle: Skadi, is that you? Well, no, you're similar to my nose, Yuletide, but not exact. You're a warm scent, not cold, and your berries aren't as prominent.

On my skin: Yeah, this wears much like Skadi wears on me minus the chill and the strong berry drydown -- as if the pine needles in Skadi were to take over. These aren't fresh pine needles from a living tree that's being nurtured by soil and rain and air like those in Skadi are. No, these are the fallen pine needles of a dying Christmas tree that's been in the house for some time now. The berries in this don't smell ripe and juicy and alive like the berries in Skadi smell to me. These berries, these berries smell dried, like the kind you find in craft stores. I do detect a bit of spice in this, I think, when I sniff hard enough. As this dries further I smell something a bit "brown," much like the trunk of a Christmas tree or even a pine cone. Very comforting.

Final thoughts: I like! This one really does smell like the Yule season. If Skadi is a winter walk, Yuletide is a winter house, decorated for the upcoming holidays, closed to the chill outside. S'very evocative, very nice.

Edited by Shollin

In the bottle, there was very little scent. Kind of piney, but hard to describe.

As I put it on my skin, it erupted into a scent of winter berries (something red & pungent, maybe bayberries?), PIIIIIIIIIIIIINE!@!!!! and cinnamon.

As it started to dry, the cinnamon became really prevalent, along with something I can only say was the overpowering scent of a really strong soap on me. So I smelled like really burninating combination of cinnamon & soap. When I say burning, I mean, it actually hurt my eyes and nostrils. I had to wash it off. And I typically adore cinnamon in blends. Something about this was physically painful. :D

I really wanted to like you, Yuletide 2004, but I think it's best that we see other people. :D :P

edited because i did.

Edited by Diana

In the bottle: This smells identical to an old, dark red, chipped up holiday candle that I had when I was younger. I swear I can almost smell the wax. This blend is deep and spicy, and I can catch just a hint of the bitter sweet holly berry in the back ground. If there is pine in this, it must be dry pine needles, fallen from the tree and lacking any notable scent. I believe "Christmas potpourri" is an accurate description.

On the skin (5 min): Do I smell... sun block? Yuletide has somehow morphed into Banana Boat waterproof sun block on my skin. Perhaps that is the pine note trying to come through. My skin chemistry might be causing it to mix strangely with the blend of spices that dominated the scent in the bottle. I hope the pine pulls through. That's why I bought the blend.

On the skin (45 min): The spice really kicks it up a notch. The cinnamon is powerful, but it's tempered by another spice, a much darker scent that keeps the blend from becoming too hot or bright. The holly berry note is still there, but it's keeping to itself, far from the spotlight. The scent of sun block still lingers, but no identifiable pine note has emerged.

On the skin (1hr 30min): The holly berry has finally peeked out. It's still contending with the strong spices, but it's beginning to make itself known. Pungent and tartly sweet, this berry makes Yuletide very different from your typical berry blends. The emerging holly berry note also lightens the blend up a bit, but not much. Pine is still no where to be found.

All in all, this isn't a bad scent, but it isn't the fresh pine scent I was looking for either. This would make a great room scent for the holidays, but I will have to wear it a bit longer before I decide on keeping it as a perfume. If you like deep, warm, spicy blends, this would be perfect for you.

Edited by Neko

Origin:

Got a 5mL of this from Diana. :D

Preconceived notions:

I'll be the first to admit I was curious about Yuletide because it's supposed to smell like holly berries and my name is Holly, but when people started saying they got spices and pine from it, too, that clinched it. I'm really hoping this one loves me. :P

First sniff:

Beautiful! I was a bit worried about the berries since they're normally hit or miss with me, but this is downright gorgeous. The first thing I actually smell is cinnamon and then faint berries. Honestly, this smells like potpurri, but in a good way. It's slightly tart and wonderfully spicy and perfectly Christmasy smelling. :D

Wet on skin:

Sharp berries and spice. Other than the spice, this is exactly what I would have expected from reading the description. Yuletide feels warm to me and deliciously cozy, like sitting in front of a roaring fire drinking mulled cider. This is a wonderful scent for a day like this when there's six inches of snow on the ground and icicles on the gutters. The perfect remedy to winter chills. :D

Dry down:

All I get is cinnamon now. This is real cinnamon, too, not cinnamon red hots. It's like sticking my nose in a bowl full of cinnamon sticks. I really love the way this one turned out although I'm curious if I'm the only one who didn't get any berries in the dry-down.

The bottom line:

Gorgeous! Warm and cozy like sitting in front of a roaring fire. Spicy and Christmasy and just beautiful. :D

I'm getting lots of holiday spice from this scent. Some berrieness, but not overly so. No pine at all, which is good for me, as pine hates my skin. I really find this to be beautiful, and a wonderful cold weather scent.

Yuletide sort of reminds me of a yankee candle scent at first sniff... I think "Home For the Holidays" or something like that...

I donned a drop for work today.

What a warm scent! Where Scadi is holiday scent in a bottle complete with chill, Yuletide is Scadi minus the chill. Lots of the holiday spice, berries, and light pine touches.

This one makes me think of a warm winter night curled up reading a book as I baith in the warmpth of the Christmas tree's decorations and blinking colored lights.

I admit that I love the spices which come forward in this- cinimon primairly, as well as the rich berry scent. This lasted very well all day long. I probabily wouldn't wear it if I knew I was going to be in a small space, since I'm sure it could be overwhelming (at least on me). I love this for a room scent as well!!!

at first: i'm smelling nutmeg and pine. fabulous. very xmas-y.

on: wow. lots of pine and warm spices. the pine is first, with the spices following it. xmas to the max.

1 hour later: the spices are the first thing i smell now, but the pine is still strong. this is so festive!

2 hours later: i can just barely smell this now, unfortunately.

overall: i love this and will definitely be wearing it xmas eve. however, i'm going to positively slather it on to make it last longer.

This makes me think of candles. Red pillar candles brought out for the winter holidays. I really can't pick out any specific notes in this. There's a sweet, a spicy, and a sort-of piney. It's something one might smell in a little boutique while shopping in December. So festive! I'm not sure this is a good perfume for me, but it's definitely a fabulous room scent.

In bottle: Wow! This is exactly what I wanted the Spice range at Bath & Body Works to smell like. I don't know exactly what the components of BBW's blend is, but there was too much of one note and not enough of another and overall, it just smelled off and overbearing. Yuletide is like the same notes used in proper proportions to truly capture the spirit of the holidays.

On me: Cinnamon, bright red holly berries, hints of pine needles. It really just makes me think Christmas. It's a perfect room fragrance.

Yuletide

Preconceived notions: Hmmm... I wonder what holly berries smell like.

in the vial: Oh - really sweet piney Christmas spice stuff. The scent in the bottle isn’t me. It smells almost fake, though I know it’s not. It’s like over-the-top Christmas potpourri.

on me: Yikes! It’s even stronger. The name is perfect, but this is not what I thought holly berries would smell like. It seems to be more of a Christmas potpourri - I’m getting a lot of “holiday spices” mixed with greenery. I don’t think I really like that combination. Plus, I think there’s some allspice, which I’ve discovered is the note I detest in every “spiced” thing I smell/taste (candles, Pumpkin Spice/Holiday Traditions coffee, etc.). Now, the allspice is even stronger. I know many people like that smell, but it’s just not me. It’s better than Samhain and Hearth, though. Still, I don’t want to smell like a table decoration.

Conclusions: I need to be less trigger-happy when it comes to ordering Limited Edition scents. I’ve had more bombs here than with the regular scents. I have to learn what really works for me.

Yuletide is mostly green -- very, very, extremely green. It has a touch of cinnamon, but not the craft-store type of cinnamon. More the mulling spice type of cinnamon.

It rests on my skin and goes slightly soapy from the greenery, but it's saved by the cinnamon.

Thanks to pkwench for letting me try it!

Wet it comes as a lot of Dragon's blood and wine mulled with cinnamon and clove.

It's just like a house dressed up for Christmas.

Dry it goes a bit greener and the clover is stronger. Is it pepper what I smell at the bottom?

Perfect as a Yule home perfume, I would enjoy a candle of this one.

Awesome lasting power.

Got 2,5 ml from the lovely Surreal in a swap :P

What I can smell mostly is clove, and i love clove :D There are more spices involved and pepper is also there it seems.

It smells like yule, but i think i will wear it in summer as well. There are similairities(sp?) with Skadi, but Yuletide is more warm and spicy.

At the moment I layered it with Hunger, Spicy oranges :D

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!

Cinnamon

Cinnamon

Cinnamon...

*some time later*

...Cinnamon

Cinnamon

Cinnamon...

nope. this doesn't work for me.

I'm sure for other people it is all those lovely things.

on me, it's pure cinnamon. in fearsome nausea and headache fullness.

shame.

like 3 Witches, the Cinnamon is too much for me.

and I like Cinnamon, honest.

Winter '04 version

Wet: A powerful wallop of Christmas spices. Allspice, cinnamon, and above all clove... a deep, dusky, brown-red mix that leaves a warm tingle at the back of my throat. At this stage, I am vaugely reminded of Lush's Demon in the Dark soap, sans the apple (must be all that clove). I can smell something bittersweet and tangy lurking far in the background, but there is nothing distinctively "berry-ish" about it. I'm not noticing any fresh, green pine at all.

Dry: The spices, while still dominant, have backed off just a wee bit. The holly berry has become more distinctive, but still remains very subtle and fairly dry (fairly unusual for a berry scent). A mild soapy note that reminds me of fallen pine needles peeks out every now and then, but that's as piney as this blend gets. The scent has taken on a lighter and slightly sweeter quality at this stage (mainly from the holly berry), reminiscent of Christmas potpourri and dark red pillar candles.

Yuletide lives up to its name. The scent is very evocative of the Christmas season; more so, I find, than any of the other Yule/winter blends. However, I doubt I would wear this oil as a personal perfume, it seems much better suited for the oil burner.

The pine note in Yuletide differs greatly, in my opinion, from the pine that can be found in Mistletoe and Wolf Moon. In this blend it has the dry, faint quality of fallen pine needles, rather than the robust green quality of a Christmas tree.

Thanks to darkling for the decant!

First sniff: I’ve never smelled hollyberry juice, but it certainly makes sense that it would smell like this. There’s no question that Yuletide is a Christmas scent – bright red and cheery and ever so slightly spicy.

Wearing: So utterly Christmas. Yuletide is the red of Christmas where Skadi and Mistletoe are the green.

I bought a bottle off eBay, which I'm hereby resolving not to do anymore. :D I have so many bottles and imps, I really need to calm down and wear what I currently own and love. I of course will continue to place new orders to the Lab. We'll see how that goes. :P

Anyway, back to the review. Yuletide is an almost-clear oil! Which really surprised me, as I assumed it would be darker if not red.

Wet, it's cinnamon. I am not a cinnamon fan, but this is a slightly sweet Big Red gum version.

Dry, an hour later, it mellows to a woodsy berry. Nice!

In summation: I was afraid I wouldn't want to wear this until October, but this can definitely be worn year-round.

I got this in a swap, and for some reason, was expecting the pine scent of skadi.

nope, nothing like it.

Bottle: When I let my friend marisa try it first, she wrinkled her nose and said ewww...fruitcake. for me it was wierdly plasticy, waxy...yeah, like a candle, but not a good smelling one.

Wet: M. put it on first...oh! its nice she said. I put it on next: cloves!

And indeed, I'll stick with that. That's what Yuletide smells like to me: lovely cloves. I get nothing else--no pine, no cinnamon, but the sweet spice of cloves.

I was surprised when I read the description and found out it was holly berries, but I'm sure I've never smelled Holly berries, so....

Anyway, I enjoy it. I wanted the discontinued French Creole to be all about cloves, and it starts that way, but morphed into something else on me. This is more what I had in mind as a clove scent.

I put it on and went to my boxing class tonight--I like to wear something that will smell good and active in that overheated gym, and I got occasional sniffs of it, so it has a throw, but not one that would overwhelm others. But it faded very fast on me--was gone in 3 hours.

Still, I'm thinking it would be quite lovely layered with skadi, if you want a true pine-spice scent.

Bottle (Imp): This is very crisp, and a bit sweet. I'm not sure what I was expecting, maybe some evergreen, but I get crisp and clean and a bit sweet.

Just On: Oh look, some evergreen! It smells like a really good potpourri for the holidays, the greenness of the tree, some sweet smells in the background from baking, and the bit of cold air that blasts in when you open the door to come in.

An hour or two later: Oh, I am loving this, except for that very faint hint of something Off. If that doesn't last, then this is a winner in my book.

Around 6 hours: Wow, it's all gone.

12 hours: Uh yeah, it's still gone. Funny how that works.

Overall: It's a beautiful scent for a room, but not quite right on me.

After reading other reviews: The berries were prety subtle on me, and none of the notes overwhelmed me. I like it well enough.

I tried this at the Chicago meetup. I got a very strong cranberry impression, which quickly faded into a more potpouri-type smell (I think it has some kind of Yule-ish tree in it, which to me always smells herby).

I would love this as a room scent, but not as much on myself.

ETA: (11/06!) - Woe is me for passing it off so quickly back then. I just swapped for a bottle of this at the Atlanta MnS and it adores my skin. Although I'm not sure which year's version I'm trying, so that might make a big difference. This one just loves my skin - it turns into a sweet and creamy combo of pine and cinnamon, and is lovely lovely lovely.

Edited by sh1mm3r

Yuletide

In the imp: holy moly, this smells like Christmas! Cinnamon, sweet berries, and pine trees!

Wet on skin: oh, this smells like a Christmas tree! It has a soft pine/fir scent-it also reminds me of Badedas, which used to be my favourite bubble bath before Lush came along-with cinnamon.

Dry on skin: yup, still Xmas trees with cinnamon! This is a lovely scent, it's festive, and warm. This smells a bit like a Christmas candle. There also cloves in here. The scent has a soapy quality to it, the scent reminds me of taking a Badedas bath at Christmas time.

After a while: this doesn't change much, it still has that comforting, festive scent of Xmas tree and spices. I think this would make a wonderful scented candle/room fragrance.

The drydown after a few hours is fantastic. It's got that wonderful pine/fir scent from Val sans Retour, but unlike VSR, which only lasted 15 minutes on me, this one lasts for ages.

Verdict: this is another BPAL, along with Skadi, Sugar Cookie, Gingerbread Poppet and Three Witches, that reminds me so much of Christmas. This one is the scent of Christmas trees decorated with cinnamon sticks and pomanders studded with cloves. It also has a soapy quality that reminds me of Badedas, one of my favourite bubble baths. I can't really smell berries though, but it does have a waxy sweetness, which could be the berries. The drydown is wonderful, the scent of pine forests and Xmas trees lingers on my skin. This scent is lovely and makes me feel happy and warm inside, and I think it would be even better as room fragrance or a candle fragrance. I'm still undecided as to whether it's my favourite Xmas fragrance though.

Edited by yeahbutnobut

This initially smelled like a craft store during the holiday season, but then the holly berries came out to play, with a bit of green from the leaves and some pine. The pine makes the green a bit spicy. It either makes the green bits compatible with the craft store smell, or it makes up the craft store smell. Yuletide is more of a room scent than a body scent, but it's still great as a comforting scent either way.

on me, this is over-whelming cloves (which amp up on my skin) with a fruity background - sort of like an orange which has had cloves stuck all around it. If I really concentrate and sniff hard I get a slight hint of the green woody notes that people have mentioned.

there's definitely something festive and "Christmassy" about this blend, but the cloves just don't work on me...

Wow, it seems like everyone gets really different impressions of this oil!

In the imp: Bayberry (or holly berry, I guess?) and spice, like a candle.

On skin: HELLO NUTMEG. And cinnamon stick and clove. From wet through drydown, it's primarily mulling spices on me, with a hint of sharp waxy berry in the background, just like walking into a warm and welcoming house where everything's decorated for Yule.

People have mentioned candles and potpourri, and I agree, this is reminiscent of both things, but I'm almost hesitant to say that for fear of giving the impression that it's a "room scent, not for wearing" kind of oil, which couldn't be further from the truth, at least on me. This smells gorgeous on my skin. I hope it comes back this year, because a lonely imp isn't going to be enough!

Yuletide always seems like it would be more suitable as a candle scent than a me scent. I liked Mistletoe and Skadi much more than this one.

It's very green. Piney, but somehow deeper. It makes me think of the colour green... but it's so dark that it is almost black. There's also a bit of cinnamon here, which I like. And there's a tart berry. The overall smell is very green, with a pinch of cinnamon. It isn't as sweet as I had anticipated.

It does remind me of potpourri, so my decant will most likely be used as a room scent.