Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
savage_rose

The Queen's Croquet Ground

`Are their heads off?' shouted the Queen.
`Their heads are gone, if it please your Majesty!' the soldiers shouted in reply.
`That's right!' shouted the Queen. `Can you play croquet?'
The soldiers were silent, and looked at Alice, as the question was evidently meant for her.
`Yes!' shouted Alice.
`Come on, then!' roared the Queen, and Alice joined the procession, wondering very much what would happen next.

Green grass and red roses.

Am I the first person to review this? If not mods, feel free to merge this thread.

Okay, when the sprays went up during the update, I thought "I can only afford one right now". And THIS was the one I had to have...I love rose scents, I love Alice In Wonderland...what could be better?

The bottle is huge. The label looks really professional and discreetly pretty, a light green with red roses, like something you'd see in a storefront somewhere (and it has the website on the bottle, which makes me think that maybe it will be someday). I sprayed a little on the hem of my shirt (black), and there was no staining or oily residue. It dried quickly and OH MY GOD it smells good. Like Rose Red with tea rose meets One to Tie, Two to Win. Half an hour later I'm still smelling it strongly, and I'm having to fight the urge to lift up my shirt to bury my face in rosey goodness. Mmmm...

If the other scents smell as good as this one does, I'll have to smell them all!

Do you adore Rose Red from the Lab?

This is a not so distant cousin...amazingly fresh, bright, beautiful red roses blooming in June over

a freshly mowed lawn...I love this ...if you want something that smells completely

natural, this beauty is for you...

Extremely long lasting and powerful...I am thrilled with this.

Edited by Shollin
Removed Lab description --Shollin

Of the four current room sprays, I really love Dungeon & Down the Rabbit Hole (and Cathouse was too musky/floral for me). When I tried The Queen's Croquet Ground initially, I sprayed it on the throw pillows for one of our livingroom couches and sort of forgot about it. I thought "it smells like roses, meh, nothing fantastic about that." Then I moved on and forgot about it.

In the bottle, it smells like bpal's Rose Red or Possets' Silver Roses before they're on the skin, sort of sour, pickled roses to my nose. Rose Red remains pickled, sour roses on my skin, but Silver Roses sweetens and smells like true roses with sugar. I figured that Croquet Ground would remain sour roses, but it really transforms on the linens to the smell of true roses and fresh cut greenery.

I didn't really appreciate the scent until last night (after it had been on the couch pillows for over 24 hours). The boy and I had all of our windows open and were watching a movie, and I kept thinking in the back of my mind that I smelled roses. In an absentminded way I started wondering if there were any roses in the bouquet in our kitchen or if something in one of my new perfumes had rose in it. Then I realized that it was the linen spray; with the windows open, the scent seemed to bloom and flutter all throughout the house, and I didn't even use that much of it. It's amazing how well these work with just using a small amount, and how well they fragrance without being overwhelming. A lot of the room sprays that I own are suffocating when I first use them and then they fade rather quickly after that initial burst, but these bpal sprays are never overwhelmingly strong *and* they're long lasting.

My initial reaction to this was "meh, whatever, roses and greenery, nothing unique about that," but now I'm thinking I might need a bottle of this one too. The greenery made the whole house smell like spring (and it smells like green flower stems to me), and the rose smelled true, refreshing, and romantic. My house smells so pretty :P

In the bottle, it was almost a fruit rose, but then I sprayed it on the sofa cushion. When I first sniffed, I could smell only rose, like the old Coty Tea Rose perfume. But then the grass came out. Wow, what a blend. Tea rose and a grassy meadow, like rolling in grass and rose petals! My sofa cushions love it, and it scents the living room! This is SOOO good! The perfect springtime scent.

Queen Croquet Ground is a bright, tangy rose at first. It has that almost-apple twist to the rose that Rose Red has, but it settles down in time and becomes softer and more lush. The grass smells so green and fresh and goes with the rose perfectly.

Personally, to me, this is almost like Rose Red were a fragrance for linens. Cool, crisp roses and green grass. My husband thinks the roses smell a little fake, but nonetheless, still pleasant.

It was a nice, light scent. Pretty without being overwhelming. I sprayed it in the morning in the bedroom, the curtains and the linens. It stuck around for close to six hours. After the first hour we didn't smell it immediately, but when we climbed into bed, we still smelled whiffs of it.

Very pretty.

This totally smells like its description. It's like you got 3 dozen long stemmed RED roses and took them outside to your back porch. This room scent is a must for people who really like red roses. They are definitely red, not yellow or pink. The scent lasts an incredibly long time and you only need a little bit. I could smell this on my sheets 24 hours later. The roses dominate at first but after a few minutes the greenery is noticeable. I don't think I will get a large bottle (I'm hoping for a beach scent myself) but I am enjoying my decant!

This was a freebie goblin squirt in my Inquisition order -- thank you goblins!

Rose, rose, rose, rose. I have a Bulgarian Rose perfume that I love in the summer, and this is just like I spritzed that around, with just a hint of the grassiness of the meadow in the background.

A.

i need to start this review with a disclaimer: I don't like rose scents. The Lab's roses, in all their myriad varieties, are pretty much the bane of my BPAL existance...they are always the deal breaker for me in scents. I don't like rose essential oil, either, not even the best Bulgarian rose otto. Just don't like it.

That said, I really like the scent of real roses...the spicy, velvety perfume that I've never experienced in perfume.

And...yeah. I LOVE this spray!

I don't know how the lab did it, but the fact is, this smells like fresh roses in a way that nothing else the lab has produced does to my nose. I read the reviews and thought, damn, if it really smells like roses, I might like it. So I got a goblin squirt, and it was just as promised...I spray it on, and I get this gorgeous scent: first I got a scent of outdoor freshness--of wet grass and dirt, and the rich round scent of red roses...It is so lovely, and so evocative....It really smells like rose season, as if you've opened a window to a rose garden after a rain, when the sun is just warming the wet grass and the wet petals, and everything is heating up to a most amazing heady scent...

this is so gorgeous that I had to order a full bottle...

So rose lovers, this is an absolute must, and it might even work for die-hard rose haters like me....

The Queen’s Croquet Ground - Grass and roses, indeed! This scent is highly reminiscent of Red Rose ’05 with it’s beautiful, deep, red rose scent blended with the scent of fresh, crisp greenery. I have used it as a room spray on multiple occasions and both times I used it as a linen/shower curtain spray, the scent lingered for about 3-4 days before it wore away. It’s very strong and I won’t use it often, but I bought a 1 oz. decant and I will certainly be using it up all by myself.

Glorious fresh roses - ripe, almost fruity, lush and yet fresh and dewy - with just mown green grass, bitter and bright and summery, and almost an aquatic feel. Very evocative of a rose garden in June. Great 'throw' but fades away pretty quickly. This makes me think of what I expected the Rose Reds (or even Two, Five and Seven - which is dusty dried roses to me) to be like; crisp slightly bitter greenery and intense, deep roses - but without the sourness and bite that RR actually has, to my nose at least. Or like how RR 05 is - the only RR I like, and that fits this description.

I never thought I'd be one for room sprays but this may have converted me! I love greenery and roses and this is so invigorating yet soothing, and ever so slightly feminine - but not to the point where a male partner would complain.

Note: do not inhale spray directly or your nose will hate you. Yes I realize I am stupid. :P

Edited by fairnymph

To me this scent perfectly captures the essence of Alice in Wonderland. It's basically Rose Red but the rose is not so super prominent as it is in the perfume. It smells like spring. The green grass seems to come out more the longer the smell stays on. As for staying power....it's there. So far it's the strongest of the atmospheric sprays I've found but I still have 3 left to try. What I love best about this is that it's not a cloying rose scent, it's not heady, more subtle so you don't feel like you're choking in flowers.

If you love Rose Red and want your house to smell like it...buy this. If you're longing for Spring...buy this. If you want to have messed up dreams about you being in Wonderland where the Mad Hatter is played by Jonathan Rhys Meyers...buy this too. Tho that last bit may have just happened to me >.>

I was really apprehensive about this, because I'm not a huge fan of rose scents (though I love the smell of the flowers themselves.. go figure). But I ordered it in hope and a wild leap of faith :P

It paid off. This smells so close to the real thing-- I love it! It's sweet and a little sharp and gorgeous. Very green. Actually, the smell reminds me of starfruit!

So going on my pillow..

Edited by River

Ohhhhhh. Beautiful! This smells like walking through Queen Mary's Gardens in Regent's Park in London at the height of summer...roses, roses, roses and a little greenery. I have a habit of spraying that classic Tea Rose perfume from The Perfumer's Workshop in my bedroom for a nice rosey smell but this may replace it!

Smells like fresh blooming roses and a hint of grass. This does not smell cloying like I usually feel roses smell. Very pleasant.

I sprayed it in my bedroom and the A/C vent has carried the scent into the other rooms of my apartment. Yum! This spray will give you all the delicious scents of a rose garden without the effort of growing the bushes!

I tend to avoid rose notes in my perfume. I like the scent of roses (so long as its not overpowering), but my skin tends to turn most of bpals rose notes into soap. So, room sprays are a great place to get a rose fix that can't be ruined by my skin chemistry.

This scent is AMAZING. It is literally like walking outside on one of the first beautiful days of spring. It just has that very happy, uplifting "the world is reborn" sort of smell. I LOVE this--lots of fresh, sweet, baby grass and some gentle sweet roses.

I honestly thought I'd like it, but be able to concentrate on other bptp sprays. Not so--this took me by surprise. This is amazing, and $40 or not, I need more than my wee sample. This is how I will keep my spirits in that spring-like high, even through the coldest days of winter.

This room spray is the most realistic rose scent I have ever experienced. The fragrance is of magnificent and heady red roses in full bloom. Amazing.

It's mostly rose and it's definitely red. As red as a rose can be. I don't think I can smell grass, but I do get an image in my head of a luxuriant, meticulously mown, emerald green lawn behind the velvety, bright red roses. It doesn't last long at all.

A fresh bouquet of red roses. This is the real thing. I just LOVE this. I want my house to smell like this all the time...must...buy...large bottle!

As with all of the BPTP sprays, the scent lasts forever (especially if you spray it on pillows and curtains).

ETA:

I purchased a bottle of this for my sisters birthday a couple years ago and she absolutely loved it, so much in fact, when she ran out she bought herself another. :)

Edited by Monster

Exactly what it's supposed to be: a bundle of lush red rose petals and the joyously refreshing scent of emerald green grass. It makes me happy just to smell this! I recently ordered another squirt and I'm saving them for our long winter, to combat the blues.

Oh, and the scent lasts and lasts wherever you spray it.

:wub2:

this smells like a dried version of rose red. it's almost a rosewood scent to me. it does not go soapy or cloying at all.

hkhm and i must have similar sniffers - 'cuz i don't get fresh roses or lush red roses out of this, either. i get either dried roses (i've dried my share of florist bouquets over the years!) or rosewood out of this. or, really, what i smell in here now that i've schpritzed this all around the room? rose-scented dusting powder. i love Down The Rabbit Hole, so i'll stick with it :)

I got a goblin squirt of this with my Warrior Queens order, and while I was never too into the idea of atmo sprays before... I have to say I'm loving this one! It's perfectly grassy and rosy and smells very fresh and exactly like standing in a rose garden! Occasionally I will spritz it a few times over my bed/pillows and then when I go to sleep I have the most delightful feeling of drifting off while lying on the grass outside with a blanket of rose petals. And now my entire room has an outdoorsy "fresh" scent that is really pleasant, especially during these recent rainy months!

Well hello Rose Red! Rose Red was a bit too much for me as a perfume but The Queen's Croquet Ground is perfect as a Room Spray. I especially love this when it's getting cold outside, it immediately reminds me of spring.