Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A crisp, pale, almost translucent rose dusted by moonflower and midnight dew.

At first, Moon Rose smelled like roses, not the spicy kind of rose, but more like the petals of a bridesmaid’s bouquet. The moonflower opened a few minutes later, which made the sensation of smelling the fragrance move up higher in my nose. Not sharper as of thorns but more pointed than rose alone.

Some of these reviews have mentioned dew, which I always associate with lawns and leaves that are drenched and sparkling in the first light of dawn. This is not that, to me. This is far more a late evening drifting into twilight, with the sky going indigo and the moon blushing at the horizon.

It’s sweet but not heavy or syrupy. I think it would suit young and old alike.

Wow, another rose blend tested today - and another winner.

This is absolutely GORGEOUS. The softest, faintest rose, without the powder, the green or the standoffishness that rose tends to pull on me. I love rose and this one loves me right back.

I think the moonflower softens it even more, so I will have to look for more blends with this note. It adds that perfect tough of silvery luminousness and lightness.

This goes on my bottle list.

I have been searching for the scent of the big, soft, crisp moonflower blooms. I grow them in my garden, and enjoy them every summer evening. They have been captured here, the elusive ladies...together with the rose (of which variety I do not know) they create an accord that is similar to the white rose. This scent is light, fresh, and fleeting. It is the sister of my beloved Ouija. Moon Rose is a simple, clean, pale beauty.

Rose is one of the only floral scents that I like, but even then I can't wear it in many blends. The lab's roses are particularly beautiful but almost always have me reaching for a bottle of Advil before long, as they go straight into my sinuses.

Moon Rose sounded like it could be the kind of mellow, ethereal rose that I could wear, and it does initially smell much more like a pure, crystalline white rose...it reminds me of the roses in Zombi actually, which were also culprits in the headache of doom.

As this wears on me it begins to take on more of a perfumer's rose characteristic...I feel like I recognize it from various floral blends that I had to pass on.

But since this is almost like a single luminous white rose, rather than a bouquet of random flowers, it almost works for me. I might keep it in my "sniff when I want to smell roses" pile even though my skin turns it to a rather generic floral perfume.

In Bottle: Sharp rose

On Skin: This is a very sharp almost sour rose. It smells like a freshly picked rose if you bury your nose in it. It turns powdery almost instantly which I don’t like. Very strong and floral, this is not a light scent in the least. Very feminine and traditional. It reminds me of an older woman’s scent, which rose scents usually do.

Ok, here's the thing. I'm not really a fan of roses. One of my grandmothers loved roses. She loved the scent so much that she almost always had the "rose" aerosol can in the bathroom. And we *always* had to use it. I think she also had rose potpourri, but all I know is that the scent was regularly bowl you over, knock you down aerosol "rose" spray. And the bathroom itself was a sight to behold; this little bathroom decked to the nines: plush carpet, plush toilet seat covers, the sink wall covered in mirrored tiles, little tschotckes, towels embroidered with little snowmen at Christmas - it was over the top! I figure the whole thing traumatized me slightly and that's where my aversion to roses probably comes from.

But I keep trying to get over it by giving the BPAL rose blends a chance, which brings us to our latest offering: moon rose. This was a frimp in my last order. Verdict: Not bad. It makes me think of those white fiber-optic roses where the edges would turn different colors -- this would be if it were light blue or light bluish purple.

Preconceived notions: I adore moonflowers; during the summer we sit on our deck and watch them opening at night, like quiet fireworks, and crowd around with all the bees for miles around to smell them. I was excited about Moon Rose, while at the same time afraid that the rose would overwhelm my beloved moonflowers.

In the vial: A little harsh. Hmm.

Wet: Something is still stinging my nose. Of course, this is less of a problem if I stop jamming my wrist up against my nose.

Drydown: Actually, what I think is dominating this scent on me is the chill, crystalline dew. My chemistry does interesting things with the aquatics/ozones sometimes. I wish the flowers were coming out to play more!

Dry: I'm on the fence with this one. I think I'll be hanging onto the imp until summer and seeing how I feel about it then.

Fresh, clean and delicate Moon Rose smells like a hauntingly beautiful... soap (darn it, rose). If only this didn't turn out this way one me! While smelling this I'm picturing night-blooming flowers amidst a creek in the woods on a slightly breezy cool summer evening. The sky is dark blue, turning violet and lightning bugs (also called fireflies) are beaming and vanishing... magical... but soapy! :P

In the imp, this did indeed seem delicate, like a pale pink-tinted full moon, shining subtle lights into green tree leaves and wafting into bowers of moon flowers.

Wet on my skin, the rose intensified, and on drydown it unfortunately smelled like scented toilet paper. I think Persephone is going to be my rose. :-)

This is a lovely and light rose. Delicate and ethereal, youthful and very feminine. A bit powdery. Overall, a very pretty scent, but a bit too girly for me.

Imp

This is gorgeous and nocturnal. Very clean, very fresh, and very glowing white in the moonlight.

Wet

Soft, wet rose glistening in the moonlight. It is very soft and just a touch soapy--but not icky soapy rose, but more just a clean scent. It is very soft and feminine.

Dry

Dry, this is such a different rose one would almost not call it rose. It is delicate and the moonflower is very complementary. Together they are ethereal. This is a very nocturnal blend and utterly breathtaking. I am not sure if I want to let this go just yet.

Edited by niter

This was sweet, wet roses in the bottle and on the skin until drydown. Once dry though, the moonflower took over and my roses faded away. Too bad. It was a pretty smell, but not enough to buy more.

Moon Rose ITB: a nice floral with a bare hint of rose.

On: ah, there's the rose, sweet and light.

Dry: like most rose blends on me, this one goes sour quickly, alas. It was nice at first, and someone with better body chemistry for roses than I will love it.

Moon Rose

First Sniff:

A rose garden.

Wet:

I just smell straight-up rose. My nose isn’t sophisticated enough yet to distinguish between types of roses,

Drying:

The word that comes to me is “mature.” Not exactly grandmotherly, but definitely old-fashioned.

After a Few Hours:

Soft roses, much less intense.

Overall Impressions:

A mature, feminine scent. Borders on grandmotherly, but stops short of that.

Rating:

6.5/10

In the bottle: hmm, a light rose, not too sweet. Very promising.

On me: stays a light, delicate rose - almost a shimmery pink rose scent, very fresh but with a hint of depth. Very pretty, very subtle, a scent for wearing when you want to smell nice but don't want *too* much attention.

first off I love the label. The Garden labels are so pretty.

In the bottle: very whispy rose. I don't know what moon flowers smell like. Maybe that is w hat is giving the rose such a whispy quality.

On me wet: Rose pretty light rose at that and a bit of soap. :P

Dry: Still a very light rose with a bit more of soap. My skin does that to roses. It's a nice soapy smell. Like rose soap. It is clean and fresh, but don't know If i am going to keep it.

I might try it a few more times and see. But for me...a 3/5.

This was one of my first BPAL loves, I can't believe I haven't reviewed it yet! This is a gorgeous rose scent. It's light and pink and innocent. There's a gorgeous, dewy, ethereal undertone that reminds me of sparkling forest glens and midnight trysts. It's so light and clean and feminine; definitely a must have for all rose lovers. Simply divine, detined to be a BPAL classic. :P

Bottle: Moonflower, crisp and heady.

Wet: The rose steps up, but still on the high, sweet side as it mingles with the moonflower. We're heading close to soapy, which will make me very, very sad indeed .. as I was so certain I'd like this I have bought more.

Dry: It's somewhere between powdery and soapy rose-ness with the moonflower still very present. A very...flowery floral. Not so much of the complex with this one.

Later: Definitely a rose soap with a white floral in there to lighten the effect. Gah!

Oooh, what a pretty, light rose. This is one of those blends where all I need to do is point to the description. That's it.

There's a note in Moon Rose that keeps it from being straight-up rose, makes it a little powdery. But in a good way. It's a gorgeous night-time rose scent. Definitely a keeper.

hrm. im not sure how i feel about this one. part of me likes it and part of me doesn't. it's a very soft light iridescent rosy scent. maybe aquatics or soft flowers with rose? but it's the kind of rose that turns on my skin a bit. many roses work on me, but this is one of the few that doesn't quite do it.

I tend to avoid rose scents, because while I do love the fragrance of roses, it's too mature a scent for me to want to wear as a perfume. Moon Rose, however, came as a frimp in an order from the lab, so I dutifully tested it out.

It really is, as the description says, a translucent rose - it's hard to explain how a scent can be translucent, but it's clear and sweet and delicate rather than powdery the way rose scents often are - and it upstages Silentium Amoris as probably the nicest rose scent I've tried. Still too mature for me, though. Someone who's looking for a light, non-powdery rose scent will love Moon Rose, and for myself I'm hoping to find something else with that moonflower note to it.

Another rose scent for me to love. :P This is a very light and powdery blend, with rose at the base and another floral on top. This also lasts a while one me, which is a definate plus for a floral scent.

I'm not usually a fan of rose scents; they tend to smell artificial to me, when they aren't overpowering. As such, I probably never would have tried this if it hadn't been a frimp.

Wearing it, I reached the conclusion that this is a rose scent for people who don't like rose scents. It's a light rose, a small wild rose rather than a genetically-manipulated cultivated rose. It's very pretty, very soft, and makes me think of pale petals floating in a milk bath.

I'm still not a huge fan of rose scents, but I like this one enough to use up the imp. My mother absolutely adores it, so there's a big bottle on the way for her, which I may have to borrow occasionally once the imp's gone.

In the bottle, this is roses and dew, with the barest breath of moonflower to sweeten and fill it. On and wet, it's a big bouquet of white roses and moonflowers with a sweet tang like powdered sugar. It's not in the least foody or unpleasant, but it's a scent of night flowers as the sun heats the petals with dawn-light. It's cool but not cold, just slightly chilled like evening flowers always are. As it dries, there's a brief powder phase wherein all I smell rather like an old lady; thankfully it only smells like that for about ten minutes before it's dried. Then there's a warm rush of roses and the moonflower politely sits back in the wings. It still smells wet, which I expect is the dew keeping this tender and light. Even as it warms, it's light and airy. I could really lather this on before it got too floral to be stood, and seeing as it has little to no throw to it during the wet and aged phases, it wouldn't be noticable until about half an hour after I put it on. Yes, dry and warm this is very strong but still incredibly pleasant and once it ages out, it goes soft and dusty like crushed rose petals skittering along out the window in a breeze.

As I stated when I first got this, it was a used imp - only half full. I fully intend to get a full bottle of this one as soon as I can because it's lovely and oh so pretty. I want to try mixing this and Two, Five and Seven soon... I think it will be a very pretty blend. Mmmmmm, I love roses. <3<3<3!