Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
janelle_hell

Zombi

Dried roses, rose leaf, Spanish moss, oakmoss and deep brown earth.

In the imp: Dirt notes and a very, very odd smelling sweet note. It's even sharper than the sharpest roses, and there's something a bit stomach turning about it for me. I'm worried, as I really anticipated trying this scent.

Wet: This smells like roses preserved somehow--somehow artificial. I don't pick up on the dirt notes at all anymore.

Drydown and wear: This stays pretty much the same as it dries down...this one must just act funky with my skin, as I can't imagine it is supposed to smell this way, looking at the notes. It's very strange, since dirt notes usually amp on my skin.

wet: soapy earth, then the roses come out to play almost immediately

drying: the moss is what is giving this that high, green scent that makes me think of floor cleaner

dry: whoa, dirt city!

The dried rose reminds me of nice potpourri, but it's very intense and paired with the dirt/moss notes...halp! cognitive dissonance!

One of the most interesting BPALs I've tried, but ultimately not for me. I do think it's lovely and summery, though, and puts me in mind of gardening.

DO. NOT. WANT. :P

This smells the same on me as it does in the imp: dirty lemons and powdery, nauseating rose. I wanted so badly to like this oil! Whatever is causing that lemon scent in this really makes my nose itch. Boo!

Aww - I wanted dirt. :P

Wet, Zombi's all sweet moss with a very light rose. Said rose does amp up - dry and powdery. Possibly the moss underneath the powdery rose is what aaaaalmost gives it that dusty sort of dirt touch, but it's a clean dirt. I was expecting wet dirt, and that's just not what's here.

The rose fades after dry down and the moss warms up and takes on a plastic smell which isn't doing wonders on my skin. It's not unpleasant, but overall, this isn't quite what I'd hoped for.

Shame, because I wanted to like Zombi! Ah well. Might hang on to the imp and see if it does better with a little ageing.

In the imp: Roses, roses, OMG roses. I was hoping this would be toned down a bit by the earth notes as I'm not the biggest fan of florals, but I do enjoy roses from time to time.

On:The sharp ROSE note pops out immediately, and it really smells like I've got a rose corsage on and I'm simply sniffing that. A few minutes in some warm earthy notes come out and while they don't cover up the rose at all (like I had hoped) they set a wonderful background for it. Smells just like the rosewater hand sanitizer I bought for my wedding. (I nearly cried when I ran out because it smelled so good and I wouldn't be able to get any more.)

It's not what I expected (moist soil and rose petals), but I like it even more for purely nostalgic reasons. I'm definately keeping the imp, but I'm not sure if I'm going to get a big bottle yet. It's not really an everyday scent for me, just something to wear when I'm feeling girly (doesn't happen often but it does happen).

ETA: I should not trial test a scent when it's anywhere near "that time of the month". I wore zombi again today (as I don't have many scents yet, and wanted to change it up a bit) and WOW! Still not as much dirt as I wanted, but the dirt is there now. It has gone from rosewater, to a full damp rose laid on a fresh grave (sorry for the imagery there, but that's really what it is.) Amazing, I may get a bottle afterall.

Edited by fatalbellydance

This is really a novelty scent. I'm rather obsessed with zombies right now, so I wore it most of October (so often, in fact, that I was catching whiffs of it on clothes well into December.)

I rather like the blend of rose and dirt in this one. The earth note dominates on me and smells like digging outside when I was a kid. Not in the uncovered flower beds or in the damp where the hose dripped, but the one under the patio where the ground was so dry I would get to water it two or three times a day and dust would rise up when the water first hit it.

This is not a scent for daily wear, but it a wonderfully novel smell.

Keeping the imp? Oh yes!

Bottle? probably not, but I will get another imp when this one is gone.

This is one of my special fragrances. The first time I wore it I had an odd emotional response to it, but I couldn't place my finger on what it was that I was feeling. I still have no idea why I feel so strongly about this one, but I love it anyway.

Luscious rose with little peeps of green wafting through. The rose is heavy and fragrant and smells insanely real. I love the richness of the dirt too, which is very strong on me. It adds so much depth and complexity.

How can dirt be so pretty and mysterious? It is though. I have to put this in my top ten list---to me it's just perfect.

I bought a big bottle of Zombi unsniffed, just because I liked the concept... and you know, I like the perfume too :P

In the bottle; Yuk yuk yuk, sharp roses and muck.

On the skin: Oooh, I'm liking this more. It's almost exactly the smell of the rose "perfume" I used to make with my gran by mushing up roses in water then filtering it. The dirt's there, but it's fresh dirt, like sitting on the grass in the garden by a rosebush.

Drydown: Nice, mostly very very fresh roses with a hint of dirt underneath.

Later: Some sweet notes have started coming through - a sort of sugared rose. This doesn't last long though.

End notes: Fresh roses. Very nice.

Overall: very nice, fresh and summery. Will probably use it more for roleplaying (the undead!) than real life, but will probably wear it from time to time to work, especially on very hot days, or in the grim depths of winter.

In the Imp : Oh wow I was knocked back and I can only think of this basement I was in recently for the filming of a short film for a local film fest. This basement was closed up for who knows how many years that the one time bakery has stood unoccupied. I date the building at around 1905 since thats about the same as every other building 'round here but it could be older. The floor was moist loose soil and the ceiling so low I was hunched over to keep my hair away from the many cobwebs. descending the stairs to that basement the smell hits you like a brick wall. This first whiff was like de ja vu.

On Skin: The initial basement smell is faded and now its all roses to me. Musty roses. Roses that came out of the aforementioned basement. I'm oddly attracted to it though.

After drying: It still smells like roses. and it still smells musty. I think its psychological cause I can't get over the initial basement smell. Every time I sniff my arm it smells more like flowers and epitaphs and less like that basement. I still cant justify getting more of it though.

A few days later.. I wore this to work on a hot day and I very much enjoyed the damp underground smell it put off it was very refreshing.

Edited by mechAngel

I'm a little weirded out that I find a scent that smells like a freshly dug grave and decaying roses to be sexy. At least in the imp, it is though! Something about grass and masculinity, haha.

The earthy scent is reminiscent of Nosferatu but dirtier as opposed to more grassy. It reminds me of old, abandoned buildings where moisture has settled. It's one of those smells you think you don't like but it's so nostalgic for so many people that it draws you in.

I don't know if I'll ever wear this on my body but I will learn how to do room scents just to have this around.

I used to be a big fan of roses, but had gotten rather tired of the scent over the years. Zombi's bringing back the love.

I can't stop huffing the crook of my elbow. This is not a classic rose, nor a headache inducing rose, but it is certainly ROSE. I'm catching whiffs of the dirt, moreso on elbow than wrist. It's rather like walking into a freshly turned rose garden at night.

I'll wear this when I'm wanting to feel feminine...with a dangerous depth. :P *wanders off, singing 'Now I'm Feeling Zombified' under her breath*

Imp: Wet roses, quite lovely.

Wet: Green, a problem that I seem to have with rose blends.

Drydown: Nauseatingly grassy with a hint of tilled earth. Absolutely disgusting, but I decide to stick it out.

Dry: Still very grassy, but I can detect lush roses blooming underneath that. Unfortunately, the sharp green scent does not go away, so it's another rose blend off to the swaps!

In imp, and on, wet: Roses with a hint of citrus.

Near drydown: Roses and a vegetable garden. Unfortunately, the vegetables have been left on the vine too long and are starting to rot. Is this the moss notes? If so, it doesn't look like moss and I will be best friends.

It was quite strong in the first 2 stages, and I was interestedly waiting to see what happened in the far drydown, but it suddenly disappeared.

Not for me.

Starts lime, then immediately goes into something more complex. Definitely not Old Spice! Leathery, masculine, and very likeable. This is reminiscent of the Arkham scents. Keep.

On me and in the bottle smelled exactly the same to me. Very much like dried-dead roses and a hint of something almost sweet.

I loved this scent... but I can't wear florals without getting a massive migraine! Oh well, it's off to my mother who, when I told her about my new scents, told me how much she loves rose scents. If she likes it, I'm going to have to get her a bottle for her birthday.

Wonderful scent I would tell anyone who loves roses to get, but it totally doesn't work with my senses. :P

In the imp: very subtle. An unidentifiable, almost sour tang with a rose aftershock.

On the wrist: Okay, I’m being suggestible, but the not-quite-sour-or-overblown scent I’m getting is like undead roses. Rose petals dying on a mossy bank. On drydown, it resolves itself into a full red rose, well past bud, but lovely nonetheless.

An hour later it has faded, but there’s still a hint.

Two hours later, it’s gone. Not enough last to keep, alas.

The rose scent is very prominent in both the wet and drydown phase, with moss accompanying it in the background. The slightly "sour" note other perople mention, to me, smells slightly of orange blossoms (might be my skin chemistry though) and i don't find it unpleasant. The rose reminds me a lot of Rose Red and Love in the Asylum, but this is much sharper, more of a wide-awake "wow" sort of scent. It's also a lot more sharp green as it dries down, but it never loses it's rosey tone.

In the imp: Rose, but with a gritty undertone

Wet: Wow. The description is spot on. This is a lovely rose, not overpowering, that is grounded and earthy and dry. The combination of rose and dirt is... way more amazing than I ever could have imagined.

Dry: Pretty much the same - not a huge morpher. This is so addicting, I really can't stop huffing my arm. This is definitely a 5 ml purchase.

In the bottle - cool, dry, and earthy.

On skin - still very earthy, but not quite as dry.. It's almost like moss just after a light rain shower.

Overall - a very calming scent for me. Normally I don't/can't wear earthy scents, but this one comes off very pleasant on my skin.

In the imp I get the scent of freshly turned earth, leaves, and little hint of roses

At first the dried roses are very prominent. I can tell it's the scent of dried roses as those smell different from fresh ones :D I definitely think this is a keeper

Oh gosh I love it! I get the memory of roses over a long forgotten grave. Soft and gorgeous, and I'm so glad! As soon as I read the description I just *knew* that this was going to be a special one for me, and I'm really glad my instincts/body chemistry has not let me down on this one! It just evokes a really strong emotional reaction, cause for some reason it reminds me of my grandfather's grave. Very beautiful and sombre and I just love it so bad! :P

Initially smells sort of sour on me, and then softens into a sharp, still slightly sour rose smell. Reminds me of two, five and seven.

After a bit i get a mossy smell that sort of makes me wrinkle my nose. It smells good, but not fantastic.

bottle: dirt. fresh, crumbly, wet dirt.

wet: wet dirt. i can almost get a hint of the dried flowers but it's mainly a dirt scent. this might be the first rose scent i can wear!

dry: dirt. that lovely, post-rain, digging in the garden smell.

i remember the first time i smelled this blend. it was a frimp from the lab. i opened it and took a sniff and thought: "hmmm. dirt." i thought the description of the scent was spot-on but couldn't imagine buying a bottle. i decided to let my husband take a sniff and he told me to order a bottle that night. he wears this scent every day, it's one of his favourites (and smells really, really good on him!) and he just came in to rescue his bottle from me since he was wanting to apply some.

This is, to me, a perfect rose scent. It doesn't smell sorrowful.. or like decay.. to my nose, this is the most brilliant red rose blossom, full in bloom. The "dirt".. well.. it doesn't smell like dirt, to me, it just has a groundedness about it, it tempers the rose from becoming overwhelming. It smells like.. walking through a beautiful rose garden. This is truly a love for me, and I don't even like florals all that much!

In the imp it smells very dank and mineral, a lot like the portal tombs I've crawled into in the Orkneys.

I like it, but I'm not sure I want to smell like this. It's so authentic. I've actually had this imp for a few days now and was intimidated by the uncanny cave-like quality of it. Today I put it on and surprise! Something's reaching out from the wet dark and handing me a big bunch of tea roses, petals browning to black.

The mineral tang threatens to take over the rose-- I smell like an old wheat cent-- but just for a moment, and then it's just dank, dead roses. I'm definitely not in the right head space for this one, but I love that this has been captured in a bottle.

In the Vial:

Interesting and a bit creepy. I had never known what a zombie my smell like till I smelled this. I get a lot of the oakmoss and spanish moss from the vial.

Wet:

Still a lot of the two mosses. I also get something a bit sour/tart. Not sure what that is though, probably just my skin chemistry tainting something heh.

Dry:

Now it's just smelling like fake rose and something a bit "dusty". Not sure if I'm liking it as much now. I'd prefer more of the mosses to come back. It smells a bit like these bath oils my grandmother used to hide from us as kids.

Later:

Now much more "dusty" and much more like those bath oils. If I could compare the scent to something others could understand it's a bit like wet incense. Not a terrible smell but not a fantastic one either.

I think this one may be a grower. I really wanted to like this one spot on but I guess only time will tell.