Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
clover

Tintagel

According to legend, the birthplace of King Arthur. The scent of a castle's great hall in the midst of joyous feasting. Spicy mulled wine flowing through the musky heat, warm leather and bright clash of armor, the damp branches of Cornish hawthorn, blackthorn, juniper, English elm and bayberry, and the magical tingle of dragon's blood resin.

For some reason in my quest to capture every scent with dragon's blood in it (dragon's blood is my Pokemon, yo), I skipped over Tintagel. In my mind I went immediately to lush fields and herbal meadows and assumed that this would be some sort of herb/grass/floral/moss scent. Then I was picking through and ebay imp lot today and was just like "Oh, look at this red imp! I shall try this for it probably contains dragon's blood, love of my life!"

Imp: Dragon's Hide and juniper. I'm afraid because juniper pounces around on my skin like a 4 year old full of sugar.

Wet: Cinammon and dragon's blood come out full force. I'm going "gaaaah.... mmmm.... *drool*" The wet stage is brilliant. It's got almost a candy sweetness but it's tempered by the juniper and the leather is lurking in the background waiting for the dry down.

Dry: Even more drooling. The leather lends a really soft, sultry note and rounds this out. It's a gorgeously blended scent and all teh components just work incredibly well together. It really reminds me of Dragon's Hide, but the herbal notes play down the overt sensuality of DH.

Throw: Good.

Overall: This is the daytime Dragon's Hide. If Dragon's Hide is a mini skirt, seamed stockings and outrageous heels, this is a severe pant suit and pointy-toed heels with sheer lingerie underneath. I think this is incredibly sexy without being inappropriate for the office or an afternoon at Starbucks. Edited by Shollin

Imp: Spicy, resinous... stuff :P

Wet: Cinnamon with a hint of cherry cough syrup and something very medicinal (because the cough syrup isn't enough?). And I can smell flowers and whiffs of leather.

As it dries, it smells sort of like some candy I once had (can't tell you what, or where I had it though) - it's very very sweet and sugary with a medicinal twang at the end of the sniff.

And it seems to be settling into a deeper, more resinous Sugar Skull, of all things.

A few hours later, all the sweetness is gone and it's just a powdery, resinous sort of floral scent. Not for me, in the end.

Edited by crazyredhead17

In the imp, I get the warmth of dragon's blood and leather over the mulled wine.

On my skin, there's a spiciness there, from the mulling spices, maybe, in addition to the dragon's blood - the plants come through as well.

When it dries, it's bright - the wine is a very sweet scent, backed by the dragon's blood. It's very nice, but I don't think I need a bottle.

in the imp: spicy yumminess! :D

wet on skin: i get cinnamon and dragon's blood and something that reminds me very much of yuletide revels. :D

dry down: more of the same, only slightly more subtle.

in all: this is GREAT. a very winter time scent, one to wear to masquerades and costume balls, bonfires and lunar gatherings.

:P

The dragon's blood resin is the first thing I notice...it and the bayberry are creating a warm spiciness that is sooo warm and comforting. It smells aquatic to me at first, but definitely turns earthy as it dries. Woodsy-spicy dragon's blood...very nice, and a second cousin to the Ars Draconis scents.

I didn't test this on my skin because I don't like spices, but sniffed: Sweet grapes/wine, spices, and abundance of woods, dragon's blood, a hint of warm musk. Perfectly fits the description.

imp: this smells just like warm, sweet leather. maybe sweeter than that even...

wet: gah! this is like jailbait with leather added to it! kinky! (* added to the to-buy botle-list *)

dry: this has a spiciness when it dry, a nice spicy sweetness. i'm impressed by how lovely this scent it.

Hmm, I don't think I reviewed this before, when I first got it, so apologies if this is a repeat. Upon revisiting, I wondered why I had left this for so long without wearing it. It's really rather beautiful. So...Tintagel: A Blast from the Past.

This is lovely, a warm woody berry scent. Very...I don't know...English is a strange way to put it, but it is evocative of a hedgerow on a summer's evening. It's a really beautiful scent. In the imp it is quite woody, but the sweetness of berries comes through. On, the berries amp a little too much on me, making it smell slightly artificial, but still lovely. I'd definitely recommend this as a warm, comforting, fresh scent. I can definitely smell the wood coming out individually, but I identified it as pine or yew. It's like a sweeter version of one of my favourite scents, Yew Trees. I don't really get spices much: it's too gentle on me for that, except for the occasional sharp scent of berries. I also don't really associate this with a time of year, but just with a lovely, warm sense of comfort.

It's actually a lot nicer than my memories of visiting Tintagel, which mostly consist of awfully high winds almost blowing six-year-old me off a cliff! It's green ruins now, with the sea striking the rocks far below, but this is nice because it evokes a time before that, perhaps a time that never was. It certainly, for me, evokes the Hallowe'en and Christmas celebrations I attended at Brancepeth Castle in County Durham, with a roaring fire, brush on the floor and warm mulled wine. Tip-top ratings on this one.

I was lucky enough to get this from someone who loved it but found the juniper set off her allergies. I'm deeply grateful I have no such problems.

This one is very spicy and warm. It almost reminds me of Christmas which is probably the mulled wine--a scent I always associate with winter and the holidays. On me, the juniper and bayberry is very prominent though the sweetness of the dragon's blood is starting to emerge. I start to picture the Tintagel feasting hall during Yule time of Arthur's era when I wear this, complete with huge roaring fire. It would probably be absolutely amazing as a room scent.

The strongest note that presents itself to me is cinnamon, which I assume creeps in through the mulled wine note. Unless I go out of my way to smell my skin, cinnamon is mostly all I get. Combined with the many sorts of greenery included in this, this turns out to be a decidedly Christmas-y scent, as others have mentioned. There's a little bit more going on up close however, though it's difficult to identify. I think of guttering candlelight, whiffs of strange, sweet food from a deep, old kitchen, maybe a faint hint of fur. It's very warm (too warm for July). I don't get much of the dragon's blood, which is surprising since it usually is fairly strong on me, but that's okay. I'm fond of Tintagel, and I think it does somewhat evoke the image of its namesake place, but I think I'll be putting it away until at least late fall. :P

Rich spicy wine, berries, woods and dragon's blood. An interesting mix of scents that somehow all seem to work together very well, at least upon sniff in the imp. This isn't a scent I would have picked for myself (frimp from teh lab), but I'm actually finding myself quite excited to try it.

Wow-the spices in the wine really POP when this is on my skin. Wow. WOW, this is really quite amazing. Normally I am scents with wood in them, but this blend is just rich and spicy and earthy and gorgeous! The wood notes keep this from being just a booze scent. It's so complex, and everything just blends together so well. I am going to give it some time to settle but so far, I cannot stop huffing my arm where I tested this! This is the first dragon's blood scent that has worked on me!

(Thankfully for me) I don't get any leather or armor type notes-this just dries down a a beautiful spiced booze with the an undertone of herbs and earthy woods and just the teensiest hint of dragon blood to round it out. To go on the bottle list for sure!

I love the cinnamon/dragon's blood combo, but as Tintagel dries the fruitiness and spiciness together make it go all candle-y on me. It makes a fantastic room scent though!

In the imp its cough syrup, leather and juniper.

Wet: I get the leather, I get the juniper. I get the Dragon's Blood.

Dry: Apparently my skin amps dragon's blood to the tenth degree. All I smell is straight up dragon's blood and nothing else. If I want cinnamon and dragon's blood I'll reach for French Love. For this though none of the other notes are strong enough to sing with that darned Dragon's Blood.

In the imp: mulled wine, cinnamon and dragon's blood

Wet on skin: juniper, bayberry--this is wonderful!!

Drydown: Lovely hints of leather and more wind. Beautifully blended here! Joyful medieval feasting. The evergreens, cinnamon and wine forms a beautiful bouquet of warm scent.

Later: *shrugs* The dragon's blood has now overpowered the scent. This has happened in other scents with this note and yet, in other scents, it has worked. The wet and intial drydown were wonderful. I'll be passing this along to someone to try out.

1st IMPression: Nnngghhhh! Sweet red headache! That must be the bayberry. Berry and cinnamon.

Applies: Hesitant to apply, but I want to give it a fair shake. All I smell is the bubble gummy berry.

Few hours later: Ghastly bubble gum. Oh, damn! I must have splashed some on the cuff of my sweater. Great. :P

Verdict: I did not get the idea from the reviews of this scent that it would be such a poor choice for me. But it really is. That’s okay, though. Plenty more to choose from! Welcome to the madness . . .la la la

Mmm sugared grapes! A little floral touch in the background and a slight wine edge to it as well. Very pretty, but not something I'll wear often. Smells similar to Fairy Wine to me.

Alright all I got here was the mulled wine. Very berry. I could faintly detect leather underneath, providing a warm base. I'm not one for berry or wine scents, so I think I will have to pass on this one.

wet/in imp: dragon's blood and something sharp that reminds me of the sharpness in pickled imp...it has to be the juniper.

dry: i keep waiting for the cookie scent to start...but all i'm getting is bayberry, juniper and dragon's blood. it's ok, but i'm impatient and can't wait for the juniper to die down.

this one too needs to be passed on.

Got this as a frimp in my latest order and have been trying to pronounce it correctly, since I believe the pronunciation thread said it was "tin TA gel" rather than "TIN ta gel" which is what seems more natural for some reason.. This oil is also really interesting.. almost fluorescent orange! I did not like this on my first, super quick, "OMGMYORDERCAME!" sniff, but we'll see.

Anyhow!

In the imp: Mulled wine.. very sweet, which is mixed with bayberry and definitely the juniper.. I think sweet and juniper is what's turning me off :P like juniper candy blah! It's weird, because I love gin.. but the cinnamon/foodie aspect with that juniper is turning my stomach. Can sense the leather ever so slightly, but the other notes are lost on me I think

Wet: oh thank god that juniper went away.. now it's pretty much straight up mulled wine-- spices, berries and an apple aspect. Also the Dragon's blood.. but very subtle.

Dry: as it starts to dry I'm getting a green note.. must be some of the other damp branches, but not really the juniper. This certainly fits this time of year.. it's like hot spiced cider by the newly put up Christmas tree, still wet from outside.

Overall: very interesting! I'm thinking I'll give it a proper try-- wear it all day one day. I did NOT like it in the imp, it kinda nauseated me, but dry it's pretty nice. Don't think I'd buy a bottle though.

In the Imp

They aren’t messing around with the spicy mulled wine in this blend, it’s really strong. It’s so strong that I’m having a hard time picking out any other notes.

On My Skin

This is pretty spicy. I’m getting a heavy and rich wine note with cinnamon and a tiny bit of juniper. Those are the only notes that have developed.

After a Bit

The spices calm down a bit (but are still quite strong) and allow the other notes to come out and play. The leather is similar to the one I smell in Perversion but there’s also berry included as well.

Rating 1-5 (5 being best)

Scent - 3 Throw - 4 Longevity - 4

Overall (not an average) - 3.2

Final Thoughts

This is a pretty cool smell. The spicy mulled wine mixed with leather definetly give this blend a masculine touch, but it isn’t so masculine that a woman couldn’t wear it. It’s a very warm comforting scent that I think would work well in the fall when things start to cool down a bit. I don’t think I’ll be getting a bottle, but I’ll keep my imp.

This imp was part of my swap pile that I decided to revisit after a while. I had high hopes for this one, it sounded like a perfect holiday scent, and would fit my mood perfectly (I was reading a fantasy series at the time). In the imp it's all wine and berry sweetness, wet on my skin it's Super Berry, which I abhor. Ten minutes into the drydown, I start sneezing like a maniac, I'm still getting only red berries with a hint of Dragon's Blood (each time I've worn Tintagel, 10 min in I'm sneezing and itchy eyed. Maybe the Dragon's Blood is the culprit?) Half an hour later, Tintagel has disappeared. I actually forgot I was wearing it until a few minutes ago, and huffed my elbow creases. Now, 6 hours after application, I'm getting the wine perfectly mixed with juniper and leather. This is what I was hoping Tintagel would be all along! Unfortunately, I have to press my nose to my skin to smell this lovely blend. :cry2: If Tintagel wouldn't give me raging allergies during drydown, and if it had more throw at the gorgeous final stage, I would snatch up a bottle. But for now, back to the swap pile it goes.

I was very eager to try this scent, as I went on a family holiday to Tintagel a few years back and enjoyed it immensely. And yes, sniffing my wrist brought back memories of strolling around the castle, climbing over the cliffs, having sunday dinner in the back room of a rustic little pub, and being enchanted by model dragons at the back of dusty gift shops. It smells like mulled wine, like herbs and spices, and just like what I'd expect a medieval banqueting hall to smell like. I only have to close my eyes and I'm there, watching jesters perform tricks, topping up my goblet, and watching a rather large roasted boar being placed in the middle of the table.

But that's the problem. Do I want to smell like that? I'm twenty years old, not two thousand, and a thoroughly modern girl. I drink vodka instead of mulled wine, I would be totally embarrassed to have someone fight for my honour and I'm way more at home in a pair of jeans than an elaborate beaded gown. I don't want to feel like I'm re-enacting something from the past when I go out shopping, I don't want to feel like I'm a walking history lesson. 'The Sword in the Stone' is my favourite Disney film but this scent still isn't 'me', so into the swap pile it went.

This was a few weeks ago. But recently, I gave it another shot. I initially dismissed Tintagel as a room scent because I thought it would be overpowering, and seeing as my room is covered with posters, clothes, lecture notes and miscellaneous objects (I haven't seen the floor in weeks), it didn't seem like 'medieval banqueting hall' was what I was going for. But wanting to get rid of the swimming costume drying on the radiator smell, I dropped some Tintagel into my oil burner before realising which oil it was. But I decided to go with it. A couple of minutes later, my room smelled amazing. I smiled every time I sniffed and even felt a tad more inspired and motivated than usual. My housemates, walking past my open door, would stop and inhale before carrying on with their business.

Now my imp is empty and I'll definitely be getting another. This is an amazing and evocative scent, three cheers to Beth for encapsulating the feeling of a legend into a bottle, and making my bedroom smell absolutely gorgeous!

I love these complex, theme-y scents, but I've never found a wine based scent that I wanted to wear.

Imp: Woah! There is a lot of stuff going on. Juniper, mulled wine, something deep and old.

Wet: Spicey, woodsy, resiny

Drydown: Mulling spices, but I'm not getting a whole lot of wine. I wouldn't believe that there's leather in this, since Whip went totally plastic on me. This feels rugged and natural. Very cozy in a "curl up by the fire with some red wine" kind of way.

Overall: I'm surprisingly fond of this! It would be a great "power through a cold or rainy day" scent for me. Keeping the imp, and now officially going to start giving more attention to dragon's blood resin.

In the imp -> Warm, spicy mulled grape cider. Heavy on the cinnamon and spice. I'm liking the cider aspect, but the spices might be a bit too much for me if they stay at their current strength.

Wet-> A burnt spicy plastic. I think it's the dragon's blood resin, that usually tends to go wonky on me.

After a while -> The spice is still super prominent, but that plastic scent is gone, thankfully. There's also a bit of plummy incense there as well.

Overall, a nice scent, but I can't see myself wearing this one often.