Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Mrs.Black

Walk into a florist's shop, inhale deeply...

I have heard that Peacock Queen smells just like a florist's cooler, but having never tried it, I can't confirm.

But today I'm wearing Phantom Queen, which smells just like clover and a bit like the grenery in the florist's, not the flowers so much. It is very GREEN. I highly recommend it.

I am PM'ing you because the Lupercalia blends are coming down soon, and I just got to try this:

Her Voice smells exactly like walking into a florist's shop to me, completely 100% spot-on. It warms up into a more honeyed scent once it's on, but in the imp (and if slathered) it has the cool, dewy, fresh-cut flowers scent that you're describing. Just wanted you to know, because your florist thread was the first thing I thought of when I smelled this scent! It's gorgeous :P

I've been thinking this one over ever since I first saw the thread -- I grew up working in my mother's flower shop and know exactly the thick green/floral chilly scent that I associate with that time of my life.

That said, I want to second Ulalume. There are no roses in it -- on my skin it's all lily and leaves. It's not quite cold enough, but otherwise for me this is a close match.

Best,

Tzi

I'm looking for something that smells like a florists' refrigerator. You know, the cold crisp air and the scent of the flowers mixing together with the fresh cut stems and the water in the vases... The flower shop I worked in used to have predominantly roses, carnations, and lilies, but I'd be up for any combination (as long as it's not gardenia or jasmine!). Are there any BPAL scents like that?

I tried to do a search, but I don't think it was very effective (combinations of cold/winter + various flower names) and it didn't turn up anything. TIA!

This is a Yule LE, but most past versions of Rose Red turn into the florist's shop scent on me. 2010 actually was a light rose scent on my acidic skin, but certainly 2008 was the green stems in cold water scent on me. I can't remember about previous years exactly, but I'm rather sure that they did the same thing, esp. 2005.

Best bet would be to see if you can track down some decants of previous years and see what you think. Good luck!

Here's the review thread for Rose Red:

http://www.bpal.org/topic/54-rose-red/

I love the smell of a florist fridge. There aren't any bpals that perfectly capture that smell for me, but you might want to try The Rose (Marchen) for a fresh, cool, dewy sort of rose, and Maiden (Ars Amatoria) for a true, fresh carnation smell. I also get a bit of that green, cool, floral + sweetness feel from Snow White.

Edited by Little Bird

I don't think it's exactly the scent of a florist's fridge, but a lovely cool floral is The East from Neil Gaiman's Stardust scents: "The scent of the winds beyond the wall: bluebonnet, passion flower, freesia, jasmine tea, mint, thyme, and redcurrant".

Um, if you can find it on Ebay or something, there's a lunacy blend called Cold Moon, which is a wonderful cold floral blend.

Um, if you can find it on Ebay or something, there's a lunacy blend called Cold Moon, which is a wonderful cold floral blend.

There's two Cold Moons, also. The original is from 2004, and the other is from 2010. From what I remember, the notes are the same, but they were slightly different to my nose. Of course, this may have had to do with aging of the 2004 version.

Thanks for the recs! I'm definitely going to look up Rose Red, The Rose, and Maiden... and I have imps of Danube and Cold Moon 2010 on the way already! perfect :D

From the sounds of the reviews, Cold Moon 2010 seems more minty than Cold Moon 2004?

I would suggest you try Grief - the notes are lily of the valley, hyacinth, calamus, muguet, hydrangea, and elemi, and reviews are here.

For me, Grief was that 'florist shop' smell - fresh cut flowers with the aquatic/water tone. I'm not sure it has the 'cold' that you're seeking, but I think it's definitely worth a try :smile:

I'm also thinking Waltz of the Snowflakes might work - reviews are here (it was a Yule blend from last year, so you'll need to search the sales area to find a decant) - it's more 'forest' than 'flowers', but it does have a very fresh/cold feel and it's very very pretty. Another Yule blend you might like to read about for cool florals would be A Cold, Clear Winter Day.

The first scent that comes to my mind is Nosferatu. It has a cold, earthy, floral smell that I associate specifically with a florist's shop cooler.

The first association I had when smelling Whoso List To Hunt was a florist's shop. Like damp slightly flowery greenery.

The first thing that came to mind for me was Enchanted Wood Florist. Even though I amp the sweet sap, which turns out in my favor because I love that kind of thing, others have said it smells like a florist's cooler and sniffing straight from the bottle I can definitely see it. Might be a bit difficult to find, though.

Have you tried Amsterdam? I don't know about "cold" but there is definitely a breezy aspect to it.

I'm not sure if anyone has said this but The Dormouse reminds me most of walking into a florist shop. Growing up one of our neighbors, a florist, would watch me after school and sometimes I would hang out at her shop. When I received my imp and opened it I remember thing, "oh my god, this smells like my childhood!", I think it might have to do with the peony but it has that smell of walking into a room of flowers with the teas adding a floral/herbal scent.

Edited by TheFrenchWaffle

Long time BPAL-er on the hunt for a specific floral. I have tons of the lab's florals but nothing has been anything like a particular scent that I seek - the scent of a florist's fridge! If you ever opened the refrigerator door in a floral section or (omg heaven) walked into a massive unit at a floral shop, you probably know what I'm talking about. The cool scent with a hint of carnation, rose, baby's breath, a hint of green ...and something else, orchids or lilies perhaps? I worked with Violette Market on a custom scent but it didn't come out as I'd hoped. I'm trying to find a floral that's not overpowering or heavy on on particular note with something to give it the icy note of the fridge. VM added a hint of mint but that didn't work. Some kind of ozone note maybe? If anyone has suggestions, please let me know! One day I'll find my floral! :wub2: