Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nymph87

What do bottles and labels look like?

Gosh, sorry to ask such a noob question, but are all GC labels the ones with white background and black text and maybe (maybe, but not definitely) a little icon in the center that may (or may not!) pertain to the scent (eg a little pumpkin or witch's hat)? And only LEs have the full-color photo labels?

I now own three GC 5ml bottles with two more on the way: Samhain 08 and Graveyard Dirt. Since these are LEs, I'm hoping they will have colorful labels. My three GC bottles all have the same labels.

In my imp order, I got something from the steampunk line (Obsidian Widow) and its imp label had a design on the back, whereas the others were just the usual imp label.

Here is my General Catalog set! The Ars Draconis bottles (or at least mine) are dark with a red dragon on them. Black Phonix has an orange label with a black phoenix. The Steampunk and Pharmacopoeia scents have different labels as well, and of course Snake Oil has a label similar to the Carnaval Noir bottles. The salon lables have their matching artwork on them as well.

The LE bottles nowadays are usually pretty colorful labels! Some of my Yule labels from last year were "scroll" labels instead of having the pictures -- there were multiple available. Sometimes (as in the case of Lilith Victoria) there are multiple pictures available. Older LE labels (I'm thinking specifically of Sugar Cookie 2004) look similar to the current GC labels.

The Steamworks imps have a different color text on them too, and the Pharmacopoeia imps are also different. I don't have any Salon imps.

Also, as far as I know, all of the GC labels have the same symbol in the middle -- the symbol is listed in Rudolf Kock's "book of signs" as being "copper saffron" and it appears as "crocus veneris" elsewhere. Anyone else know anything else about it?

Crocus appears to refer to yellow powder or pigments (but can also refer to red) obtained from metals (iron and copper in this case?) by calcination. Veneris has something to do with Venus. Green basic copper acetate is referred to as "crocus veneris". Crocus veneris is also a type of crocus flower.

Another article says:

".EASTUARY, is Sometimes alfo ufed in Pharmacy, for a Va-

pour-Bath, Balneum Vaporofuem, See VAPOUR, and BATH.

ES Uftum, called alfo Crocus Veneris, a Chymical Pre-

paration, made of Copper cut into thin Plates, put into a

Crucible with Sulphur and Salt, firatumfuiper Jiratum, and

thus fet in a hot Charcoal Fire, till the Sulphur be con-

fumed. See CROCUS, COPPER, VENUS, SC.

It is very deterfive; and is ufed for eating oPF dead Flefh.

They who make this ufe of it, are to heat it red hot in the

Fire nine times; and quench it as often in Linfeed Oil. See

EPULOTIC."

also interesting was the British Journal of Homoeopathy which says that in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries they would make salves or plaisters of crocus veneris for external medical use. They ascribed to it an "acid-absorbing, astringent, and purifying power, and accordingly used it for "cleansing and cicatrising ulcers and putrid abscesses, or in cases of gangrene."

I'm probably the only person that finds this interesting, so I'll stop now.

Maybe some of the Labbies can share what it means to them??

Edited by TwilightEyes

Ignore this one..I posted a picture and it was too big. Now I've lost the original. OOOOOPS!!

Edited by ouch!

Thanks guys! Great, I still have copious amounts of Samhain, including half a 10 ml bottle from 2004, but I have to get this year's just for the bottle!

Thanks TwilightEyes! I am excited: I have Samhain2008 in my next order. It'll be my first LE full bottle and first color label. Weee!

:D

can anyone flash us a nudie pic of the original graveyard dirt? :P

Can't help you there!!! :D

Edited by TwilightEyes

Is the bottle for pink moon 05 really amber? Whoah! learn something everyday indeed. I had no clue.

Those are so funny! :P Sometimes I'm reluctant to part with bottles that don't work for me just because the labels are so beautiful. I'm going to try to make do with just taking photos of them, though.

My eyesight's going a bit - are the two bottles posted above (Summer Summoning & Pancake Breakfast) JBA scents? (Can you tell I haven't been keeipng up... :P)

Also, I have a Pumpkin Patch set that I'm unsure of which year it was from. The labels are shiny, and there's a small number tag on each. I tried looking at the Reviews topics, but none of them had pictures. I think it's 2006, not sure though.

My eyesight's going a bit - are the two bottles posted above (Summer Summoning & Pancake Breakfast) JBA scents? (Can you tell I haven't been keeipng up... :P)

Also, I have a Pumpkin Patch set that I'm unsure of which year it was from. The labels are shiny, and there's a small number tag on each. I tried looking at the Reviews topics, but none of them had pictures. I think it's 2006, not sure though.

The two bottles are indeed MVJBA scents. Pancake Breakfast is crack-in-a-bottle, I'm real close to thinking about the possibility of taking a bite out of my wrist. :D

Thanks, AEris! I just checked the BPTP site and figured it out. For some reason, I always convince myself that the scents I hear about here and there are LEs that have already gone. :P

Pumpkin Patch set that I'm unsure of which year it was from. The labels are shiny, and there's a small number tag on each. I tried looking at the Reviews topics, but none of them had pictures. I think it's 2006, not sure though.

I have some Pumpkins from 2005, 2007, and 2008 on my flickr pages in the Halloween section. The 2007 pumpkins have little tags on them with the number.

Also, I posted a pic of this years Blood Moon today.

And a photo of the postcard with the little girl in Red that is one of the labels of the Lilith Victoria bottle. *cough* drugs *cough* Sorry, my camera is really sensitive to light (small lens) and I live in basement. Therefore, even with a huge light, very dark.

Edited by TwilightEyes

And a photo of the postcard with the little girl in Red that is one of the labels of the Lilith Victoria bottle. Sorry, my camera is really sensitive to light (small lens) and I live in basement. Therefore, even with a huge light, very dark.

Have you gotten a bottle of Lilith Victoria with this label? If so, there are three labels... the label I have shows a girl in red in a red hat with a slightly flat top, an owl on her shoulder, and playing cards in her hand.

ETA: The one I have is the same one that stellans uploaded to the gallery.

Edited by Delirium1009

And a photo of the postcard with the little girl in Red that is one of the labels of the Lilith Victoria bottle. Sorry, my camera is really sensitive to light (small lens) and I live in basement. Therefore, even with a huge light, very dark.

Have you gotten a bottle of Lilith Victoria with this label? If so, there are three labels... the label I have shows a girl in red in a red hat with a slightly flat top, an owl on her shoulder, and playing cards in her hand.

Ummm... *looks around* maybe I was just too drugged up to notice the difference. I saw red dress, halloween card, and went -- OH HAI LILITH!

yay for pain killers and no thinking! or is that boo?

Ummm... *looks around* maybe I was just too drugged up to notice the difference. I saw red dress, halloween card, and went -- OH HAI LILITH!

yay for pain killers and no thinking! or is that boo?

Yay for pain killers! :P I was asking more to see if I needed to place another order to try and get the third label than anything. I already have the cat an owl one. My wallet is glad, though :D

TwilightEyes - Thank you so much. :P I am just terrible at picking out notes, so I couldn't bank on a sniff-test being accurate enough to determine exactly which pumpkins I have.

Gosh, sorry to ask such a noob question, but are all GC labels the ones with white background and black text and maybe (maybe, but not definitely) a little icon in the center that may (or may not!) pertain to the scent (eg a little pumpkin or witch's hat)? And only LEs have the full-color photo labels?

I now own three GC 5ml bottles with two more on the way: Samhain 08 and Graveyard Dirt. Since these are LEs, I'm hoping they will have colorful labels. My three GC bottles all have the same labels.

In my imp order, I got something from the steampunk line (Obsidian Widow) and its imp label had a design on the back, whereas the others were just the usual imp label.

Here is my General Catalog set! The Ars Draconis bottles (or at least mine) are dark with a red dragon on them. Black Phonix has an orange label with a black phoenix. The Steampunk and Pharmacopoeia scents have different labels as well, and of course Snake Oil has a label similar to the Carnaval Noir bottles. The salon lables have their matching artwork on them as well.

The LE bottles nowadays are usually pretty colorful labels! Some of my Yule labels from last year were "scroll" labels instead of having the pictures -- there were multiple available. Sometimes (as in the case of Lilith Victoria) there are multiple pictures available. Older LE labels (I'm thinking specifically of Sugar Cookie 2004) look similar to the current GC labels.

The Steamworks imps have a different color text on them too, and the Pharmacopoeia imps are also different. I don't have any Salon imps.

Also, as far as I know, all of the GC labels have the same symbol in the middle -- the symbol is listed in Rudolf Kock's "book of signs" as being "copper saffron" and it appears as "crocus veneris" elsewhere. Anyone else know anything else about it?

Crocus appears to refer to yellow powder or pigments (but can also refer to red) obtained from metals (iron and copper in this case?) by calcination. Veneris has something to do with Venus. Green basic copper acetate is referred to as "crocus veneris". Crocus veneris is also a type of crocus flower.

Another article says:

".EASTUARY, is Sometimes alfo ufed in Pharmacy, for a Va-

pour-Bath, Balneum Vaporofuem, See VAPOUR, and BATH.

ES Uftum, called alfo Crocus Veneris, a Chymical Pre-

paration, made of Copper cut into thin Plates, put into a

Crucible with Sulphur and Salt, firatumfuiper Jiratum, and

thus fet in a hot Charcoal Fire, till the Sulphur be con-

fumed. See CROCUS, COPPER, VENUS, SC.

It is very deterfive; and is ufed for eating oPF dead Flefh.

They who make this ufe of it, are to heat it red hot in the

Fire nine times; and quench it as often in Linfeed Oil. See

EPULOTIC."

also interesting was the British Journal of Homoeopathy which says that in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries they would make salves or plaisters of crocus veneris for external medical use. They ascribed to it an "acid-absorbing, astringent, and purifying power, and accordingly used it for "cleansing and cicatrising ulcers and putrid abscesses, or in cases of gangrene."

I'm probably the only person that finds this interesting, so I'll stop now.

Maybe some of the Labbies can share what it means to them??

The 'Picnic in Arkham' group have different labels also. Brown with the pentagram symbol from the collection in the background with the name is BIG black letters on it.

Isn't the scent 'Jolly Roger' in a plain bottle with a pirate flag on it too?

Schroedingers Cat's label is a kind of art-deco cat with "the cat is" and then tick boxes, both empty, saying 'Alive' and 'Dead'.

ETA: The Gaiman scents are technically GC too. They all have illustrations on the labels. The 'Stardust' labels are all white and blue which is quite cute.

Edited by Reaver

Added the MVJBA labels today to the BPAL group on Flickr and some new Halloween postcards and various other things to my photostream. :P