Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
requieminblack

Hunter Moon 2007

... Dry leaves, autumn bonfires, blood red wine, feral, animalistic notes and the chill of approaching winter.

I enjoy this all too much. In the bottle it smelled like wine spilt on dry leaves crushed underfoot, and i couldn't smell the feral animalistic tones, which is what I go for.

But i put it on.

OH OH OH.

It's musky with the fur, the dominance and the just plain fierce untamable feral freedom of a wolf.It's spicy(but in a dry grass/wine kind of way) and it just goes so well with my chemistry.

Thank you.

God i love these. And it aged SO well.

So - first review post, so please bear with me. I tried this as soon as I got it, last September, but never quite got around to posting my notes..

In bottle: Green,mostly sweet.. A bit of something bitter, after a second sniff. No distinctive notes.

Wet on skin: More woody than anything. Sweet enough up close to be a bit offputting,while still manageing bitterness - impressive,lol. At arms distance, something reminds me of musk and icy asphalt, with a bit of (can't figure this one) suntan lotion, or something else creamy coconut-ish..?

Dry 30 mins: It has mellowed into an elegant, reserved scent.. mostly woods, dry, yet indefinably creamy. Up close, it is still a little "rough" - On reviewing the notes, I'm guessing that would be the bonfires coming out, along with the "feral" notes. I will have to try this again, as I am facinated by the mental images/memories that the listed notes conjour.

Dry 1hr: Almost gone..*sigh*. Typical of BPAL, but also of all ( and I do mean ALL ) perfumes/oils, regardless of maker.. My skin simply doesn't seem to keep scent. :P It has mellowed to a lovely, if almost undectable, blend of slightly sweet, creamy woods and a hint of bitter - the last gasp of the bonfire. It is an interesting scent, and I plan to try it again at a later date.

Edited by pervs-toy

I did not purchase this when it was available. The notes did not sound as if they were for me, particularly the wine. That said..

I got a sniffie in a swap or purchase (don't remember which) and fell in love. So I tracked down a bottle and found one of my now favorites.

Warm and creamy in the bottle, with a feral note ( musk? I'm guessing). On, it transforms into a soft, creamy goodness, the scent wafting around me like a warm and fuzzy blanket. I don't really get the wine; perhaps that the spiciness peeking its head around. One of my coworkers always says that I smell like her vanilla bathroon plug-in. I don't smell vanilla, but it has a sweetness to it. And on me, this lasts all day. I can still smell it when I come home and as I'm falling asleep. It has definitely aged extremely well.

Lesson learned: Always buy feral notes. They work fabulously on me! Autumn is my favorite time of year and I am eagerly awaiting this year's bounty. And if you don't want your bottle, PM me!

Hmm.. unsure about this one.

As I love & adore Hunter Moon 2004 for its red musk-wine-untamed goodness,

I am not quite sure what I expected HM 07 to be.

I put it on and it went SPOT ON Ivanushka on me... :P

Soft, powdery, fury,light and tame - but nowhere near my Hunter Moon 04.

I don´t really *hate* it - but its not far from that.. too bad.

I think I keep this for the love of HM04,

but I don´t really think aging will help me with this one.

It´s just too tame and not outstanding enough,

but oh well.. *sigh*

I disliked Hunter Moon when I first got it last September, it reminded me of something which I couldn't place and didn't like, so I put it away.

I just got it out this month in anticipation of fall, put a little on and it's so amazing. Almost a year old, now Hunter Moon is a delicious fruit n' cream musk with a hint of smoke. And it's got that Snake Oil vibe to it, how did I not notice this before?

It's so beautiful, absolutely my favorite Lunar Oil.

Edited by GirlDetective

I passed on this one and now I'm kicking myself. It smells fantastic! Very musky, sweet and fruity from the wine, and just a teeny bit smoky. It's very rich and deep and dark and I want more.

In the Bottle

Given the description I'm suprised to say that this smells really sweet in the imp. It smells almost floral.

On My Skin

So far this is lovely! It smells very fresh, clean and crisp with the sweet smell lingering in the background making this to die for! This does remind me of fragrant autumn leaves.

After a Bit

It isn’t as potent as it was a couple of hours ago and is slowly fading away, but it still smells wonderful. The scent of leaves is more dominant and I’m getting just a whiff of bonfire but the blend is still pretty creamy. Strange, but awesome!

Rating 1-5 (5 being the best)

Scent – 4.5 Throw – 4 Longevity – 4

Over all – 4

Final Thoughts

This blend has great throw and will last around 8 hours on my skin, it’s also one of the most interesting oils I’ve ever used. This is one that I'd get 2 bottles of. :P

Hunter Moon went on sweet, almost berry-like (that's how wine starts out on me!), then quickly became musky, and stayed musky throughout its lifecycle.

On my skin, it was sweet and furry, but there is a deeper evergreen note lurking in the background, an emergent earthiness making its presence known.

Over time, it becomes a powdery musk scent. , sliding down the scale to being just powdery toward the end of the day.

A nice scent, though my skin wants to make musk very generic-baby-powder, I'm afraid. I loved the evergreen notes in this that were lurking in the background for the first few hours, though!

Initial thoughts-> I should love this. All these notes are made of ginormous win for me. I'm hoping this will wind up being a cousin to my beloved October. I will be seriously disappointed if this doesn't work out for me.

bottle-> Wine and autumn leaves...I love it!

Wet-> The wine is still there a bit. I'm not getting any bonfire or dry leaves, but there is definitely something feral and slightly musky about this.

After a while-> LOVE! It's gorgeous and soft, and slightly musky in a way that works for me. All the notes blend so well together to create a scent that loves me as much as I love it! Also has very good staying power.

In the vial: Sweet, slightly powdery and musky. There's something fruity in this.

Wet: I close my eyes, took a sniff and saw dried leaves and baby powder. This is the first time I can literally smell dried leaves! Wow.

Dry: Baby powder.

Overall: The reviews sound wonderful, but on me, this is all baby powder. Not for me.

ETA: After around 2 hours, this has become quite a soft lovely vanilla. But I still can't get over the fact that there's still baby powder lurking in the background.

Edited by Ceri

Oh my gosh this is beautiful!! And totally unexpected!

I'm just gonna say that on my skin the description of this might as well be null and void. It's COMPLETELY different.

I get a lovely tropical/suncream vibe from this! I swear there's coconut in here. it's very smooth and creamy. This is yum I so need to find a bottle now!!!

There's alot of musk too... and vanilla...*inhales* it's slightly powdery, and all so very well blended.

Me wants more!! Where is all the wine and feralness...and leaves? This is a happy joy, spinning around in the sun scent!

:) (My body chemistry is doing such weird things to me lately)

This smells really, really good. Although none of the notes in the description really jump out and grab me, it did go on rather strong. Luckily, after about 15 mins. it died down to a delicious autumn powder. I'm so glad I re-tried this blend!

wow strong!

this is a powdery musk on me, the description notes had my attention grabbed but I'm really not getting them. Its like a baby powder and musk combined. Its pretty, as far as musky baby powder goes, but not something I'd wear often.

grapey, woodsy, smoky and buttery are all descriptive words that come to mind when i first apply this. i had a bottle of ’04 and, from what i can remember of it, this is similar yet different (’04 was nutty, like walnuts). i haven’t tried any of the other years. anyway, i’m wishing i’d grabbed a bottle of this when it came out, because i love autumn scents, and this screams autumn. it’s in the same family as hexxennacht ’08, but i like this better because it’s not powdery. over time, the fruitiness of the wine fades, and i’m left with the gentle warmth of smoke and animal musk. beautifully blended, the encapsulation of a season.

Again, I'm going through my boxes of BPAL and reviewing scents I haven't (for future reference and all that...)

First of all, I really wish I had snagged the t-shirt for this scent when I had a chance. The design is really really pretty. :wub:

This one smells strangely herbal to my nose...herbs and sweet musk. This isn't as dark smelling as you would think (based on the description with bofires and leaves). It's more of an olive green/light brown colored smell (if that makes sense).

Dry, this ends up a little bit powdery on my skin (but not to the point where it's unwearable). This dries down to a soft, musky powder scent on me. Really beautiful! I'm glad I saved my bottle :)

Hunter Moon 2007

In the Bottle: Something really sharp. I can't define what it is; but it tickles, no, it almost makes my nose hurt. Uh oh, not a great start.

Wet: Still, that overwhelming sharpness. Like super apples mixed with super pine. Ugh. Ooh, finally a shift, now I'm getting the red wine (except if I didn't have notes, I'd probably mistaken it for plum).

Drydown: Oooh musky! Is this the "feral" aspect? I looooove musk and I love this now that it's much more mellow (after 15+ minutes).

Verdict: So I'm not a fan of the blend wet. And only like it when it's really really dry. The problem? By the time it gets to the stage I like? It's almost completely gone from my skin. Guess I'll have to give it another earnest skin test and slather it, too. See how it might differ then. For now, I'm so glad that FallDaze generously gave me this bottle and that I didn't spend money on it. But we'll see, I might just fall in love with it yet.

ETA: Yes, the drydown in this is soooo similar to the gorgeous musks in the DD Blockbuster, Creature Feature, which I love love love. So awesome! Definitely keeping Hunter Moon. :thumbsup:

Edited by devilot

Mm. Woodsy not as in actual wood, but as in camping. Soft smoke over an ancient bed of dry fir needles and a kind of mischievous, earthy brown musk. With... amber? and honey? I definitely get the sticky warm nectar of those notes lingering behind the others. It's not sugary or heavy, but just a distant golden note. Ah. Actually, I think it's congealing into more of a honeyed wine as it dries-- that makes more sense.

The "dry leaves" component is not quite as prominent and crunchy as I would have liked, but there's a slight airy, sweet note that makes me think of the general "healthy decomposition" of fall (quite different and much more pleasant that "something is rotting in here, isn't it?").

I'm very glad I have my decant :) , but it's a very specific kind of scent that wouldn't lend itself to everyday use, so I'm probably fine without more.

1246919738_Zgz89-Ti.jpg

It's taking me a while, but I'm slowly but surely catching up on reviewing the Lunacies in my current 31-day rotation. I've not had the privilege of sampling the original Hunter Moon released in '04, but the later release in 2007 became of my favorites due to its lovely musky, autumn woods scent. This is all about the hunt: the stalk, the chase, and the capture/kill. There is no blood note that I can tell, but the impression is there of a successful hunt. This begins a little sharply, but it doesn't take long to warm up into a very sensual wild musk, more animalistic than some other musk blends I've tried, and the woods/leaves notes are absolutely essential to make the Hunter's portrait complete. I get no powder from this blend, only sex. Lovely, lovely sex. :thud:

4 of 5 stars.

Edited by stellans

Hello furry musk. Nice to meet you. Weird how musk notes can smell sweet, brown, soft and fuzzy. Not so feral and animalistic as I would have thought but rather soft and tame and clean. In the background is a hint of the wine but I can not detect the leaves or bonfire smoke or approaching winter chill. I wish I could smell some of that instead of only musk and wine.

Somehow it is intriguing though. My decant has wandered in and out of my swaps box about five times now and I am still not sure if I like it or not.

I wanted to try it because my father is a hunter and so were my grandfathers. In any case it is a very romantic approach to the smell of a hunt. The real thing would probably be closer to gunpowder, blood, wet earth and wet dog.

In bottle: Grape cough syrup. Urgh. Something really really prickly climbs up into the top of my nose and itches there.

Wet, on wrist: Still grapey, but with something thin and woody/herby. There's something chilly about this. The prickly is still there, but less.

Drydown: The grape recedes and then there's something pleasantly musky that starts to come through. Not a sexy musk, more like a furry one. Like the idea of smelling animal pelt. Still has a weird chill, though. Like all the smells are happening on a cold, damp autumn day instead of on my skin.

Dry, on wrist: Warmed up a bit, into a snuggly musky animal smell. People have called it warm and comforting, but i still don't get warm like i do with other musks. Very autumnal.

Summary: Not something I want to wear very often, but evocative. Not ready to give it up, in any case. Wish there had been more autumn leaves in there, because i love the smell of leaves.

In the vial, this smelled amazing, like blood-red wine and fall leaves. Within a couple seconds of hitting my skin, however...powdermania. As time went by it just became more and more powdery until everything else except the overwhelming smell of my grandma's (may she rest in peace) Coty powder, and I had to eventually scrub it off, and with a towel for maximum scrubbage. I had the same thing happen with Ivanushka; must be the type of musk used, because most musks are usually gorgeous on me but whatever this one is I need to avoid it like the plague.

On my skin Hunter Moon is a pretty straightforward soft, powdery, musk. No wine, no leaves, nothing feral. It's very gentle and warm and powder soft. Nice enough, but not what I was hoping for from the description.

I apparently sold this bottle at some point and then forgot that I ever had it and then bought it again. Tell me I'm not the only one who's done this :)

My opinion is remarkably the same though; powdery, musky, warm, fuzzy and soft. When it dries down it even kind of reminds me of Mouse's Long and Sad Tale, but without the floral. It's sweet and cuddly.

Edited by strahlend

Source: My own original bottle

In the bottle: red wine and a fairly light musky undertone. an ominous scent.

Wet: Musk, dry herbs and leaves, and smoke. Not at all sharp, this is smoothly blended.

Dry: My skin eats the wine note, which happens fairly often. Musky, spicy and rich. This smells like darkness, brown/gray musk, cookfires and herbal brews. Sexy and feral.

Wet: Wet leaves and sweet pear with hints of soft muskiness.

Drydown: It reminds me of a gentler Falling Leaf Moon (2009). As it dries, HM 2007 is soft and creamy. Oh, delicious.

Dry: Gentle, sweet musk. Disappears within two hours.

Overall: This one hugs tightly to the skin. I wish it lasted longer, though.