Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pumpkin with white chocolate, caramel, pomegranate, and cream.

As with all foody ones, this can be a little confusing, but I actually like this one. The chocolate caramel is strongest here, but tthe rest are present. If this were a dessert, I would totally eat this. It's way more pleasing to my nose than Pumpkin I which was rather cloying.

Thick, syrupy goodness! This is a hazelnutty, chocolatey, buttery blend. My head is just swimming, it's so gooey!!

I really love this, if it was a dessert it would be too rich for me to finish off.

But I would still try! :D Delicious!

Thanks to cheshirecat for the decant, and for enabling me - I bought a 5mL on the forum within minutes of sampling this :P

2007 version:

OMG - I love this. I'm not particularly drawn to foody blends unless they have chocolate, but this smells absolutely delicious on me. This is a strong baby with a heady booziness that lasts for 15 hours plus with only a dab. I smell very few of the notes separately and end up with a combination of creamy chocolate caramel and a boozy fruity note. It sort of reminds me of the dessert that I had at a friends house last night, pumpkin rice pudding with a rum raisin mascarpone topping. :P

At first this was.. sickening.. sort of. It was way caramel and pumpkin mixed, which the combo didn't smell too great to me. After about 10 minutes the pomegranate wants to make itself known and it becomes just as strong as the caramel, with a slight pumpkiny background. I sadly never get white chocolate from this. Just an interesting... pomepumkmel. This is one the most unusual scents I have tried. This is what I wish it smelled like in my kitchen.. ya know.. if I could make really fancy desserts :P

This is a wonderful, delicious pumpkin caramel!! Soooo cavity inducing, this is ultra sweet and makes me drool. The caramel note is very strong, and there is a smooth chocolate base. I can catch a hint of the pomegranate every once in awhile, but it definitely takes a back seat. This is a dream scent for me, foody lovers will dig this big time.

I love it, probably my favorite PP from '07. :P

Pumpkin III

In the imp: my decant has a slight brown residue…maybe cocoa absolute? That’s promising. The scent is chocolate covered pumpkin, like the old Pumpkin 2.

Wet on skin: creamy sweet chocolate and caramel covered pumpkin.

Dry: now I smell the pomegranate. Mmm, this is delicious. It reminds me of the 13 scents, there’s a similar chocolate vibe going on here. The scent is of pumpkin (not too buttery here) with chocolate (which smells like a mix of milk and white chocolate), caramel (which doesn’t amp on me!) and smoothed with cream (no sour milk here!) and the pomegranate counteracts really nicely with the sweet notes, a bite of tart juicy fruit that prevents the scent from going into cloying territory.

After a while: the chocolate and pumpkin have merged, along with the caramel, and this now smells like a chocolate pumpkin pie drizzled with a caramel sauce. It’s thick and foody and calorific, very indulgent indeed! The pomegranate still lingers, with that tart, crisp scent which adds a sharper edge to the heavy sugary notes, and gradually starts to turn to an almost wine like or boozy fruit scent. However, the pomegranate eventually gets smothered by the stodgy and incredibly gourmand pumpkin pie and chocolate toffee sauce scent, and the scent gets more intense and foody over time. The chocolate now doesn’t smell like white chocolate any more, but like moist dark chocolate cake.

Verdict: whoa, this is the foodiest of the pumpkins this year. Almost like a variation of the pumpkin scent from last year with the cocoa and nuts, this is very similar-packed with chocolate and sweet sugary richness, but with a bite of pomegranate. Like a chocolate pumpkin pie served with a glass of pomegranate juice. Out of the 07 PP scents, this is my second favourite! But it is so strong, with tons of throw, and it’s heavy, intensely gourmand. A little too much after a while, actually. I think it’s the caramel note. I’ll keep a bit of it because I like this a lot, but nothing will beat Pumpkin V (or Pumpkin Queen) as the best pumpkin scent of all.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Yes…I’ll keep the imp, still wondering whether or not to get a bottle.

If you like this, try: 13 (any version), Pumpkin #2 ‘05/06, Jack, Pumpkin #3 ‘05/06, Vice

When I open the bottle and when I first put this on my skin, I get a lot of pumpkin. Just as it seems to be with every other pumpkin blend I've tried, the buttery pumpkin smells goes away almost immediately and I smell the other notes. All of those notes blend really well, and I'm having a bit of trouble picking them apart, but I think the caramel is probably the strongest out of all of them. It's not too sweet as I feared it might be - in fact, I was afraid this would be too sweet, but the pomegranate rises to the occasion and tempers it with a bit of tartness.

If you don't like foody this might not be for you. To me pomegranate doesn't smell foody, so that tempers the foodiness as well, but it might not be enough for some.

I really like it! It lasts pretty well too. A very nice fall scent. I'm not one who insists on lighter scents in warm weather and heavier ones in cooler weather, but I think this suits fall very well.

Pumpkin III 2007

I was wanting to buy the entire pumpkin patch - but decided to see how one pumpkin compared to GC Jack instead...

In the Bottle:

Wet thick pumpkin - to me this smells almost like pure pumpkin, with no other ingredients...

When compared to Jack, PIII is a true pumpkin smell; whereas Jack smells like thick butter in it's bottle.

On my Skin,Wet:

Still pumpkin, but with the cream note starting to appear.

I can vaguely smell the chocolate- but it's very faint on me.

I do not smell the pomegranate at all - which is actually OK with me for some reason.

I cannot smell the caramel either - but I can detect it in there. It's lurking.... :P

On my Skin, Dry:

Heavy cream with pumpkin undertones...no chocolate, no pomegranate, caramel is still lurking.... :D

Jack smells more like Halloween to me nose - PIII is pumpkin dessert after the Halloween party is over.

Verdict:

A very nice, understated fall scent.

It's foody without being too sweet or provoking the person sitting next to you into a hungerous rage :D

I could wear this all year round for dessert outings with friends....mmmmmmm... dessert!

7 of 10 ranking!

Caramel and white chocolate and pumpkin...... Oh man oh man!!! Pomegranite? Are you sure? It's not there, I swear!!! But everything else is, an a perfect blend of pure yumminess. I made this into lotion, and Oooooooo........... Even better!!!!

nom nom nom............ a foody yumfest of carmelly and chocolatey goodness with some buttery pumpkin to flesh it out and pomegranate to keep it from being too sweet.

got a partial bottle off the forum, i probably couldn't finish up a bottle of something this rich!

i wore it one day, and 2 weeks later i could still smell it on my sweater. not that i minded :P

Bottle: Chocolate with something sweet behind it. There is also a spice that I'm thinking is the pumpkin. The longer I smell it in the bottle the sweeter it comes across

Wet: Mmm, chocolate and pumpkin, there is something very warm to this scent that I'm sure is the caramel

Dry: Dry the pumpkin comes out way more combined with the sweetness of the caramel. The chocolate fades which isn't a bad thing. I can't smell hte pomegranate but that might be because I don't know what it smells like exactly.

Overall: I give this a 4 out of 5. Its has great throw but for a few moments it was just a bit TOO sweet but that dies down once the caramel takes a bit of a back seat and I can finally smell fruit! I do like it, it will def be my fall/winter scent

Edited by Wildchild453

Pumpkin III (2007) – I didn’t think this was going to work on my skin because chocolate (of any color) and caramel both tend to not work at all on my skin. This one, however, is different. Perhaps it’s the other notes in it that keep the chocolate and caramel in line, but whatever it is, it works. It’s incredibly foody and positively oozes sweetness. The cream note is quite strong and gives it a heavy, milky feel to it, and it smells exactly like something I would want to drink. Foody lovers must try this one!

In the bottle, this was MILK chocolate and the butter-spice from Gluttony and an almost over-ripe note of fruity pomegranate. The rather prominent butter disappeared as soon as this hit my skin (just like in Gluttony) and left that yummy spice in it's wake. The spice stayed prominent for a while, melding with the pomegranate occasionally, then slipping away again to stand on its own for a while. If I had to pin dow the spices, I'd say...nutmeg and cloves and pepper, but sweeter. After a while, the spices blend into a warm mix of yum: hot chocolate and spice cookies, mostly. However, I have gotten multiple people telling me I smell like coffee, specifically a Dunkachino (half coffee, half hot cocoa), when I was wearing this.

Ummm...where was the pumpkin?

PUMPKIN III, 2007

In Bottle: Chocolate pumpkin

On Skin: This scent is very strong and very unique. The chocolate is the strongest note, followed by the sweet creamy caramel. The pumpkin is buttery and thick. The pomegranate cuts through the candies notes perfectly, slightly tart and very bright red. The cream bring everything together and makes this scent very foody and yummy. This scent does smell like you could eat it. I’m not a huge fan of pumpkin blends, but I’d love to use this one as a room scent. It smells instantly inviting. Strong throw and average wearlength.

In the bottle – Very sweet pumpkin, with a touch of coconut

Wet on me – Sour pumpkin with a slightly chocolatey hint and dust :P

Dry on me – The chocolate and caramel appear in a molten glowing form, but the pomegranate sours and gives the whole thing an almost bitter feeling

Overall – Initially my skin chemistry turns the cream to dust and then it makes the pomegranate sour. Frankly my skin should be shot

Random PaperRose fact of the day: I used to work in perfume retail and food scents turned my stomach. With the fixatives and the fillers, I was such a floral girl. Since switching to BPAL, I have discovered that my skin plays with food scents in a way I never thought was possible. I feel like I should end this with "I'm PaperRose and I'm a BPALholic" because... dude... FOOD SCENTS!

Imp: Almost sharp. I get an overall pumpkin/spice scent, but there's also a distinctive hint of... applesauce?

Wet: Chocolate! Gaaaaah! CHOCOLATE! There's the pumpkin--my skin is all over the lab's pumpkin note--and this delectable, creamy, sweet, almost oily white chocolate scent. Eventually the pomegranate wants in on the action and it's just... delicious. I want to lick my arm. I won't because I'm classy, however.

Dry: Gorgeous. I just smell sultry, sweet, sexy, and many other s-words you can think of that are not degrading. This is a take-charge scent and it makes me feel like I own the world. I wore it today and was talking to a friend who spent last night talking me off the ledge after I realized that I still didn't have a paper topic chosen for a class that is required for me to graduate. I thanked him for the support today, gave him a hug, and he spent a few seconds smelling my neck before announcing that I smelled amazing to the general vicinity.

Throw: Very good. The aformentioned friend is the only person who had to get in super close proximity to me to smell it. Other friends agreed that it was very nice from a non-invasive distance.

Overall: Oh foody scents. I'm sorry I let the Body Shoppe and Calgon turn me against you. You love my skin and you make me smell amazing. We'll be friends forever! Pinky swear!

Expectations: Yum. If this smells as delicious as it sounds, I may reconsider my opinion that pumpkin scents should smell like pumpkin pie.

In vial: Rich and creamy. Not very heavy on the pumpkin, and there's a "one of these things is not like the others" game to be played, which must be due to the pomegranate.

On skin, wet: Mmm. A lot of white chocolate and pomegranate. The rest of the notes are hanging out in the background and trying to be inconspicuous.

On skin, dry: Pretty much the same.

After time: Ew, 10 minutes in I got some kind of green leafy scent from this. I haven't smelled much pumpkin at all...maybe this one belongs in the Pomegranate Patch?

Conclusion: This had so much potential, but the pomegranate totally ruins it, and I think the balance of other scents would still be a little off.

Bottle: Creamy pumpkin and pomegranate. The white chocolate smells like regular chocolate and is a little faint.

Wet: PUMPKIN! and creamy chocolate. Not so much pomegranate now, which is sad.

Drydown:More pomegranate towards the end, but mostly creamy pumpkin and chocolate. Gorgeous, but with crazy amounts of throw and staying power. A little goes a very long way.

Yum! This is exactly what I was hoping for!

Creamy pumpkin and chocolate. Pomegranate comes in and out the way fruit tends to do on me. Now there's a little bit of caramel, but not too much that its overpowering.

I was just about to order a bottle of Bliss the other day, but now that I have this, I've got my chocolate fix for a little while. Ohhh I wish I could eat this. NOMNOM.

Edit: This is one of the scents that I find works better in moderation than slathered. When I had just a tiny dab on, I had plenty of throw and could smell the delicious on me, but when I put a little more on, it was too much sweet and the individual notes got lost.

Edited by iiinterstate

I really thought I'd love #3 but I'm beginning to figure out that the Lab's caramel note just doesn't react well with my skin chemistry. It ends up smelling like burnt brown sugar and more or less overtakes the rest of the notes including the pumpkin. My nose can't even find the pomegranate or white chocolate. .

I am having a similar experience to miss apple... This is only the first application, but after 90 minutes a very sharp burnt sugar scent is all that remains of the sumptuous pumpkin. :P I will have to give it a few more tries.

In the imp: Caramel, then an undertone of something bitter that I can't identify but makes me wrinkle my nose.

Wet: That bitter undertone I noticed in the imp rears its ugly head again, but smooths out pretty quickly as the caramel and cream take over.

Drydown: The caramel is gone, and that bitter note (which I'm assuming is the pomegranate, but it isn't like any of the other pomegranate notes I've tried from BPAL) hasn't come back. This has settled into a spiced cake with a hint of chocolate. I don't get actual pumpkin, but more like the spices you use for pumpkin pie. Not a huge throw. This would be wonderful in the fall, but it's a bit overwhelming for these hotter months.

In the imp and wet: Buttery pumpkin drizzled with caramel

Dry: The pomegranate and chocolate come out now and the lot are fighting amongst themselves for supremacy. I think I agree with whoever said this would make a good room scent.

Bottle: Caramel and cream.

Wet: Creamy caramel and tart juicy pomegranate that gives way to baked pumpkin topped with fresh homemade whipped cream.

Dry: Sweet and foody. The best pumpkin pastry ever made. There is a bit of a buttery crust note in the drydown. The other notes are still there but the chocolate never really makes an appearance other than adding to the sweetness.

At first it's a bit hard to take (chocolate and caramel like WHOA) but after drydown it calms down into deliciousness -- it reminds me of something the main character in Robin McKinley's Sunshine might bake. The pomegranate, which is why I wanted to try this in the first place, shows up just enough to keep it from being waaaaay too sweet, but Pumpkin III is not for the faint of heart in terms of foodiness.