I'll come back and pay the norish fee.'

Now he had ta'en a purse of guld
And he has put it upon her knee,
Saying 'Gi'e to me my little young son,
And take thee up thy nourrice fee.'

She says 'My dear, I'll wed thee wi' a ring,
Wi' a ring, my dear, I'll wed wi' thee!'
Thoo may go wed these [thee's] weddens wi' whom thoo wilt,
For I'm sure thoo'll never wed none wi' me!

But I'll put a gold chain around his neck
An' a gey good gold chain it'll be,
That if ever he comes to the Norway lands
Thoo may have a gey good guess on he,

An' thoo will get a gunner good,
An' a gey good gunner it will be,
An' he'll gae oot on a May mornin'
An' shoot the son an' the grey selchie.'

Oh, she has got a gunner good,
An' a gey good gunner it was he,
An' he went out on a May mornin'
An' he shot the son and the grey selchie.

Alas, alas this woeful fate
This weary fate that's been laid for me.'
And once or twice she sobbed and sighed,
An' her tender heart did brak' in three.

The chill waters of the Orkney coast, tea-leaved willow, honey-touched Grass-of-Parnassus, sea aster, and Scottish Primrose.

-- A traditional Scottish ballad. This is a variant of the one collected by Francis James Child.

Oh beauty! This is a light sweet aquatic honey. A delicate nectar suspended in beads of the freshest, clearest, cold water. Like honeysuckle drenched in rain or moist, succulent white blooms floating down a crystalline river. I am not sure exactly what grass of parnassus should smell like, but imagine a crisp, green grass crossed perfectly with honeysuckle at the height of its fragrance, all in the middle of a gentle rain. Other florals intermingle as it develops, and at the moment it is just a bouquet of sweet summer wildflowers in my mind, an intoxicating bouquet warmed by the sun and cooled by the rain. I might have more to say at this dries, but what a rush of sweetness and light this is!

The honey/honeysuckle is the strongest in this, particularly at first, strangely crisp with shimmers of white flowers and green grass. I can't really say I've smelled anything else quite like it.

To be honest with you, I would have bought a bottle of Selkie if some of the listed notes had been beer farts and vomit. lol Selkies are very, very close to my heart. No way I was passing it up.

Luckily for me it smells divine! :D I'm not familiar with any of the listed notes, but the aquatic note jumped out of the bottle right away. On my skin it submerges and something in it smells almost fruity to me, very ripe and juicy. It's a really cheerful scent to me - perverse skin chemistry, I guess. :D I can barely detect any honey, which is wonderful as it usually goes stridently bad on me; there's just the soft, powdery note of honey behaving itself. I was terrified of the honeysuckle, but it too is lovely in this blend! Not a smidge of the headache that comes when it amps up like a southern belle with a bullhorn, or something.

This is a soft, juicy, delicious floral with a slightly fruity, aquatic undertone on my skin - light throw when applied sparingly. Very summery and bright. I love it! :P Thank you Beth.

To be honest with you, I would have bought a bottle of Selkie if some of the listed notes had been beer farts and vomit. lol Selkies are very, very close to my heart. No way I was passing it up.

that I heartily agree with:)

Selkie is nice...in the bottle it smells like a slightly salty but mostly salty aquatic with a slight melon-y tinge to it...

On me, the melon tinge doesn't last--pity, because I liked it, and it is a nicely blended floral/ aquatic---a bit stronger than what I would normally go for, but I did over apply it...

I think that I could def. wear this for summer evenings--it is a scent that calls for a sun dress

Imagery/ colorwise: It seems like a jump in a cold dark green briny sea mixed with pink flowers and green grass to me

You're not going to believe this, but there are chill waters in here! There was a note in Numb and Bed of Nails that veered way off into harsh metallic on me, but in Selkie, it holds steady, an intriguing scent that reminds me most of fog wafting over the salty sea.

In the bottle, Selkie is juicy and sweet, like Xanthe with its bubblegum guava note, but wet on the skin, there's a very cheerful fresh-mowed grass scent tinged with something a little like lemon.

The the sea aster and primrose don't make it floral at all on me - they just lighten it up and cut the saltiness. More than anything, I wish it kept smelling like it does when it's wet. It's not to be believed.

After the wet phase it becomes a close skin scent without much sweetness. I really love it.

In the bottle – hmm! water? some flowers and maybe honey?

Wet – I have no idea how to describe this – my nose is attached to my arm but I’m still baffled. It’s wet, and flowery, in a light wildflower way.

Dry – this is kind of a light and juicy scent? It's wet and flowery (duh, I said that already! Sorry!). There's almost a spiciness to the flowers, a little like carnation?

Quite a bit later - this is very different on final drydown! This is where the touch of honey becomes evident - it's a very light, floral honey, but it's there. This final drydown is quite lovely!

Selkie is a scent that just doesn't work for me, unfortunately.

It seems to have a sharper aquatic quality than Thunder Moon, but no ozone here. The honey sweetness of the grass reminds me of Ostara, a lot. Not sure what else to say about this scent. It's that honey sweet note that is disagreeing with me, maybe some of the florals too. Maybe it's too feminine? A little powdery, a little cloying to me. Just not something I'll get any wear out of.

edit: That honey note sticks to me like CRAZY. Hours later, and after 2 showers, I could still smell it on my skin.

Edited by Forspecial Plate

Oh my goodness. I'm so glad I decided to add a bottle of this to my most recent order. I've been looking for a clean, yet sensual blend for a long time now. Everything I've tried has been too herbal, but this is perfect. :P

This is the perfect scent for summer. It is fresh without losing its sexier side, which I think is a result of the honey. This is absolutely beautiful, and I'm so grateful that I got to try it. But...now I only have one bottle! :D

Edited by ariansdreams

Selkie - Oh you guys, this is so gorgeous! It's nothing like I expected and yet everything it should be. I would put this in the same category as the original Blue Moon, as it leaves me with the same type of feeling -- only Selkie is about a million times better. It's not the typical dark, heavy, salty aquatic that I am usually drawn to. It's cleaner and clearer and is more "watery" than aquatic. There is a gorgeous layer of melon in this blend that is not too light and not too heavy. It's just right for giving this scent a clean, fresh, summery type aroma. There is most definitely warm, sweet, golden honey in this blend, too, and I'm thrilled that it's not only behaving on my skin, but it is definitely what ties the whole blend together and makes it so incredibly wonderful. It sticks somewhat close to my skin, but occasionally I catch a surprise waft of it and I am very sad that I didn't buy two bottles.

In the bottle: Sweet florals, almost fruity. The aquatic note isn’t heavy, it’s more like the note in Tempest. No one note is really distinguishing itself.

Wet/Drydown: Very gentle, very sweet – but not sugar sweet. It’s a dewy, fresh-plant-sap sort of sweet. The aquatic note is coming forward a bit, and again, it’s a sweet aquatic. I get a strong blue-green vibe from this. This is soft and gentle and sweet and lovely.

Dry: The scent stays true and doesn’t really morph much. The only difference is that the floral note has taken on a slightly jasmine-ish tone. This blend is stunning.

Edited by waternight

This scent is absolutely beautiful. I need more!

In the bottle: it smells of honey and honeysuckle.

On it's golden and light, watery and wonderful. I want more!

In bottle: The sweet richness of ocean-dwelling plants, full and gorgeous.

On me: Yesterday, this gave me the bitchslap of floral hell when applied. Today, it's not. Today, it preserves the gentle marine plant scent, ropes of seaweed brushing past as you swim out. Reminds me of Yemaya without the melons. Very variable, this selkie. Quite appropriate, in fact.

My first thought upon smelling this was "Gorgeous!" and it's only gotten better from there.

In the bottle it smells wet with a touch of floral, but once it's on my skin I can smell the primrose.There's also a slight touch of fruit. The primrose is rose without the powder- all the good things about a rose scent. There is a pleasantly strong aquatic so I get the scent of wet roses, which is just lovely. Eventually, after 1/2 hour the honey is noticeable.

The other notes blend into a very green seaside plant scent. It reminds me of the Marginal Way in Maine: water, sea spray, sea roses, plants.

The bottle art is gorgeous as well. It captures what I see in my mind when I smell this.

I am so happy with this bottle! :P

Edited by bryghtrose

In the imp: Water. (Yes, the thought crossed my mind that Beth was having a little joke at our expense by filling the bottle with water and waiting to see if we noticed. :P )

Wet: Sharp tang of ozone puts paid to the 'bottle of water' theory.

Dry: Well, hell. Dryer sheets.

ETA: Two friends tried it on last night. On one, it smelled bright and citrusy. On the other, it smelled of clear, fresh waters and just a hint of soft flowers. I'm still bitter about this whole body chemistry thing. ::shakes fist impotently::

Edited by harmonyfb

And the test-fest continues....

Selkie was the one I was uncertain about, because of the flowers, and also honey tends to amp on me, which can be good with stronger aromas like delphi, but I was afraid it would overpower a light scent. I ordered it anyway, because we were in the middle of a drought and I wanted watery aromas, and also because, hey, Selkie.

In the bottle, I get the watery melon scent that others have mentioned. Its very refreshing and pretty.

Once on the skin I get a blast of fruity-ish floral that is a bit too much for me. Fortunately it tones down quickly, and grows more subtle as it dries. The melony aroma comes back, and surprisingly the honey doesn't amp on me, just lingers nice and sweet in the background, like a little bee flitting among the wildflowers. This is a very cool, fresh scent, very light and lovely and I think it will be great for summer.

My Great grandfather-in law came from the Orkney Island...ohhhh, how could i say no? Glad i caved in and got a bottle!(unsniffed!)

Upon wearing Selkie my nose detects an aquatic, chypre green, floral, and hint of sweet something(watermelon-ish) in the air. All at once or none at all when the oil is reacting to my body chemistry(talk about "shapeshifter" in a perfume!).. I can smell every notes in the blend and then nothing(and no, my nose is working fine today!)….. Do you know aquatic scents are my nemesis? Not here. The scent of the Orkney icy water come crashing in wave after wave while then the honey touched grass come rolling in like a wild shaken willow tree. The scent are there, but for a few seconds they vanished as if I had none on my skin ….and then as if the gods had blown a fierce kiss to the tea-leaved willow tree, along came the merry blends of ocean water, wet green grass, and honey-floral wind…straight to my nose!! Selkie makes me want to weep!!! Tears of joy that is. :D Should have bought 2 bottles. :P

grrrrr.

Weird skin strikes again.

Selkie=Annabel Lee+supersweet honey+bathroom cleaner on me.

I can see how this would be gorgeous on someone whose skin doesn't do the bathroom cleaner thing....but right now I feel like I've got some of those skating sudsy toilet bubbles (is it scrubbing bubbles?) mocking me and laughing derisively on my arm while sweet Annabel Lee cries in the middle of the whole thing.

damn!

This is absolutely intriguing me--for some reason it reminds me of this year's Blue Moon, but it doesn't smell like it at all--I think it has the same cool, fresh, slight aquatic feel. At first I get a rush of sugary melon--watermelon or cantaloupe, and it's very pink and sweet. Then there's a bit of sweet grass, and it feels more watery--there's an almost metallic feel, must be the water note, but it's not unpleasant at all. I think there's a bit of light floral somewhere in the background, as if you're in the cold water and smelling flowers on the shore. The throw retains a bit of the sweet melon feel, and it's quite clean without smelling like soap or laundry. Definitely giving this a full test tomorrow, but I think it's a winner!

Everyone was waxing so eloquently about the beauties of this scent, that I was really hesitent to be the first to disagree....So I'm glad I wasn't first!

I knew from reading the notes this wasn't going to work on me, but one of my friends wanted to get it for an old flame of hers, so I ordered it for her. this was quite a good strategy because it meant I got to smell it, but not actually have to go through swapping what I knew wouldn't work on me.

I love the art, and I love love love the ballad that goes with the description. It is one of my alltime faves, and I also love anything to do with selkies.

But I don't love the perfume. At first, I had the water thing happen: nope, no smell at all. Then, something sweet and floral, but an old-fashioned kind of floral. (Like a grandmother, is what my friend said). And on me, it turned to dryer sheets in about 10 minutes.

No honey. No dried grasses. Just honeysuckle perfumed soap. Or dryer sheets.

This one definately was not for me.

Thank Goddess I ordered this! It is heavenly. Sarada's review was perfect:

"Oh beauty! This is a light sweet aquatic honey. A delicate nectar suspended in beads of the freshest, clearest, cold water. Like honeysuckle drenched in rain or moist, succulent white blooms floating down a crystalline river."

I have to say, the wet stage of this is my favorite. It's all-around beautiful, but the wet stage is magic. As it dries, I do get a somewhat musky scent along with the aquatic, floral and honey notes. This happens with some florals thanks to my chemistry. In the final dry-down, I almost get the same scent as Litha, w/o the wine.

A truly lovely summer BPAL

Edited by siddal

Tested lightly a few times.

Sometimes I got the melon quality on drydown.

Sometimes I got the honey.

It's just very difficult for my nose to distinguish all that much between aquatics. Yes, I can differentiate between them... but they still all seem so much the same to me.

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

when I first sniffed this in the bottle, I didn't think I would like it because it smelled very aquatic. After it sat on my wrist for awhile, though, it really turned into something lovely!! There is a soft, watery base, with top notes of fresh grasses, sweet florals, and something that smells very fruity to me, perhaps like a citrus or a melon. This actually reminds me a bit of Ophelia on me, very sweet, beautiful and undeniably feminine.

On the dry down this smells primarily of soft roses and watery tones. This is very nice!! It has not a lot of throw, though.

I like this! I'm not sure if I'll keep my whole bottle, but very nice.

SelkieSS.jpg

Imp/Bottle: A sort of melony-wet is what I get from the bottle -- lovely and beguiling. I'm so happy I bought this already.

First Applied: This makes me think of summers spent by Lake Weddington in northern Arkansas, when my uncle was the caretaker. We were at the lake, in the lake, or on the lake every moment of the day for one glorious summer, and I've never forgotten it. This scent has the aquatic notes, but to my nose there's no salt! I love the grassy, floral, watery slightly melonish combination of this...

Dry Down: The drydown of Selkie is just as lovely as it is in the bottle. The florals are light and wistful, the aquatic note is more green than salt, there is the delightfully refreshing melon scent, and the honey (which doesn't show up until drydown) just makes the blend more beautiful. The throw isn't very strong, which is the only reason this blend doesn't rate a full 5 stars. The scent does last for a while, which is another point in its favor. If only I didn't have to bury my nose in my wrist to smell it after the initial application...

Final Verdict: 4 out of 5 stars.

Edited by stellans

Oh my this is amazing! Honey always turns to baby powder on me but something in this, is keeping the honey in check. I'm getting soft, sweet florals with a touch of honey. There's also a hay note in there that must be the grasses. And oh the chill water is just keeping everything from being too sweet. This is an aboslute masterpiece! I might need another bottle now.

On my skin, Selkie starts off as strictly aquatic, then green and floral come through. Not surprisingly, my skin chemistry loves the floral notes the most. Selkie's lovely and I can definitely see myself wearing it often.

Edited by whiterosepetals

Bottle: Sweet and fruity smelling? Huh, that wasn't what I expected... this reminds me a bit of what I remember Anabel Lee smelling like (though I sold my Anabel, so I can't compare directly...). I guess I'd say sweet florals and some cucumber/melon?

Wet: It still smells of anabel to me, but there is a citrusy hint--something tart and pithy. Of course, the impression as a whole is a sweet floral acquatic. Its very fresh and clean smelling.

Drying: Light florals, fresh sweet green-ness (grasses?), a hint of citrus and a cucumber (or melon?) aquatic. The citrus twinge is not as tart as it was when wet.

Dry: About 30 minutes in, I get a more fumey, almost ozone note. The effect is a more powdery perfumey floral acquatic, and I don't like this part nearly as much as I liked the earlier stages--its almost hairsprayish on me.

Late Dry: By 2 hrs in, the ozoney perfumey aquatic is joined (finally!) by honey, and by 4-5 hrs, its mostly a faint honey smell with only twinges of clean, powdery ozone, aquatics and florals.

Overall: I wish I had Anabel to compare, because this really brings it to mind (in the early stages). This is a "cool" scent, I don't get out and out "chill" as in the description. Its sweet and pretty, quite feminine to my nose at the start, but unfortunately goes a bit weird later in the drydown.

I'm going to hang on to this for a while longer to see how my skin chem changes it (its my special time of the month), and I'll see what to do from there. The beginning is quite pretty, though.

Edited by jewelbug