Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sirensongsouth

Laudanum

The essence of the most debauched hunger encapsulated into a perfume. Desire beyond love, anguish beyond sanity. Nutmeg, sassafras, black poppy and myrrh.

Bottled, there's a lot of spice, with a root-beery whiff of sassafras and a bit of nutmeg. The combination is fierce, peppery, and energizing. Somewhat jagged and abrupt, complex but not immediately smooth. This has been called a medicinal scent, and it is, but it's medicinal in a patent-medicine sort of way. Like something that tastes nice, but might kill you.

On the skin the myrrh warms up and underscores the sassafras and poppy, filling in the jagged note. It's a nice incensey smell, and becomes quite creamy and rich. The odd fuzzy note of the sassafras is an excellent addition, and prevents this from being too terrifically feminine; it combines with the myrrh very nicely. There is a vaguely burnt smell to it, smoky and low. Like a root beer float at a soda fountain in a tobacconist's shop in back of a new-age bookstore. Cool!

Dry, it's all sassafras and myrrh, with the nutmeg just flirting around the edges. This one never smelled particularly floral, that note is in there purely as accent. It's smoky and exotic, but that sassafras keeps yanking it right back around to someplace dark and comfortable, which is what gives the scent its appeal. It's always teetering on the edge of one or the other.

Wearing down, the sassafras at last fades enough to be balanced by the myrrh and a final whiff of spices. Here again, it seems rather dark.

This scent is masculine, I suppose, in that it's not really a sexy smell as much as a mysterious and incongruous one. This is a very distinctive odor, and on the right person could be absolutely devastating, since the scent is so singular and personal.

There is something a little sidelong and sinister about this one . . . the smells are quite contradictory, yet one gets the feeling they're conspiring against you. The sassafras is the friendly face this oil wears, drawing you in. Then the myrrh numbs you and you slowly go under. I like this one a lot. It's quite strange and unexpected. Edited by Shollin

Holy cow. On my skin this is heavy, thick, black smoke. I can't even pick out the notes beyond the smoke. I'm hoping that it will lighten up as time goes on, but for now it's too heavy and dark and um, smoky for me.

I think I like this one. It's spicy root beer, and odly enough that smells really very pleasant on me.

The husband hated it - it was thick and dark on him. But on me, just sassafrass with a playful attitude.

It's not a bottle-worthy scent, but it's one of those that I'll always want an imp of, for those craving moments.

In the imp: Wow, this is the darkest BPAL scent I've whiffed to date. I'm beyond excited. :P I don't get the root beer smell--what I get is the myrrh and nutmeg.

Wet: Oh wow--this is spicy smoke. I'm in love. Absolutely in love. Imagine the smoke of an aged tree in a dark forest, smoldering, but not burning as the cold moon sets a watch, and you've got Laudanum.

Drydown and wear: The root-beer smell emerges a bit on drydown, which makes me sad, as I want it to stay in that "smoke" stage forever. However, the smokiness never really goes away. This is amazing--great staying power. I will be getting a bottle of this, and I think I will be able to use it sparingly, as it is a dominating scent.

Nutmeg-O-rama! This smells like an antique store. The sweet, dusty smell of old, valuable things. Sweet in the bottle, but spicy and peppery on. Watch out, though, it is very strong!

In the imp: Holy burning rubber, Batman!

Wet: Why hello there, root beer.

Dry: Really medicinal at first, but it mellows out. It sweetens up just the right amount and I'm left with subtly sweet spicy smoke. It makes me think of an antique wood cabinet.

Overall: I really like this one. It smells much better on me than in the imp. However, I'm not sure if this is a smell that other people will appreciate on me.

this was a frimp from the lab and one that I really wanted to try.

At first I really smell the sassafras but then the nutmeg comes out 10x as strong and it makes it smell like plastic or rubber.

This is a no-go for me.

Something very odd is going on with my chemistry and Laudanum. This is the second time I've tried it -- the first time I couldn't get past the strong sassafras scent when it's wet, and I thought I'd try again later.

It did the same thing this time, very strong sassafras at first, but I persevered. After about an hour, maybe a bit more, the sassafras backed off, and myrrh and nutmeg came out. It's now a spicy, intoxicating scent.

OK, here's the weird stuff:

1) The skin on my wrist where I put the oil feels cold (from the inside, not to the touch) and tingly. At first I wondered if some eucalyptus had sneaked into the bottle.

2) I have never had so much trouble removing my nose from my wrist. And I don't just wave my arm in front of my face, I lean down and take a deep, deep breath of it. It's not so much that I love the scent, it's that I can't stop sniffing it. Seriously. And my nose gets all tingly when I smell it.

I have never had this reaction to a perfume oil before. I'm not sure what to think of it. I can't imagine wearing it when I'm going to be around other people. But I can totally see myself going through a 5mL bottle of this while spending evenings with Victorian mystery novels, nose glued to wrist the whole time.

Edited by filigree_shadow

Woo, Laudanum is some strong stuff! Right out of the vial I get a smoky root beer, laced with what smells like clove but must be the nutmeg.

As it dries down, I get a warm, sexy myrrh enfolded with the spices. I also pick up on something with a menthol edge to it that fades after the first hour.

Laudanum is like the dark side of the Victorian period. This is no sitting room perfume. This is darting through back alleys, avoiding the the throw of gas lights, and keeping 'unsavoury' company in the best way possible. Laudanum is the smell that clings to one's jacket after a night in these circles.

I'll be keeping my imp to wear when the mood strikes me.

at first, this is straight up root beer! the spicy nutmeg comes out as it dries. the myrrh adds sweetness and warmth, and the black poppy lends its exotic, powdery goodness. and there is a soft smokiness that really gives it that “opium den” quality. and is there a touch of leather, or am i just imagining it? this is wonderful. sweet, sexy mysterious! i can’t stop inhaling deep breaths of this marvelous scent.

In the imp: Nutmeg! Slight dark tinges of alcohol and smoke, but mostly delicious nutmeg!

On me, wet: The nutmeg doesn't hang around long, alas, and the myrrh comes forward, making this into a much darker acrid-smoke-and-incense scent.

On me, dry: Yay, the nutmeg resurfaced and the myrrh dropped away. Now this is warm, and spicy - very edible. Yum. Reminds me of Christmas time.

Verdict: Did I mention yum? Totally keeping this.

In the vial: acrid smoke

Wet on skin: charred resin with something sweet and the bitter aftertaste of nutmeg

15 minutes: This smells like really good root beer, the kind that makes your nose and tongue tingle. Beneath that is sweetly smoky incense. I can't smell poppy at all.

30 minutes: The poppy's coming out and it's sweetening into a spicy, incensey floral. Lovely.

1 hour: N/A because I wasn't awake after an hour. Talk about a soporific scent!

Verdict: I love Laudanum, but I think I'll only wear it to bed--every time I apply it, it puts me into a coma. I think this is what the poppy fields in The Wizard of Oz must have smelled like.

I don't get any root beer from Laudanum at all...but then, it's hard for me to be objective about my One True Love.

Laudanum, of course, was not originally purchased for me. No, I got it (along with five others) to send to a friend as a graduation gift. None of those imps ever made it to her. For future reference, when ordering BPAL as gifts - either have it shipped directly to the recipient, or make sure you only get them stuff you've already tried.

In the bottle, Laudanum smelled sharp, and headachey, and vaguely medicinal. Not at all appealing. But as I seem to be incapable of opening an imp without getting it all over my fingers, I just sort of rubbed my fingers off on a wrist and forgot about it.

An hour later, I got a whiff of something...heady. I couldn't really think of any other way to describe it. Dark, languid, smoothly spicy. Narcotic. Sexy, in the languorous way of an androgynously beautiful person, sprawled across a velvet couch in a semidark room, heavy-lidded and smoky-eyed and utterly indifferent.

It took me several minutes to figure out that that intoxicating, delicious smell was my wrist, and that on my wrist was my first bottle purchase. I can't praise this enough.

And the Boy, whose response to any perfume at all is 'it's fine,' or, if he's feeling cranky, 'they all smell the same! why do you keep asking?' - the first time I wore Laudanum around him, he grabbed me, wrapped himself around me with his nose pressed to my neck, and said (in the tones of divine, contented happiness) 'You smell so good.'

Hmm, also hadn't reviewed this one. This is tarted.

In the bottle: Rootbeer and iodine.

First on: Sassafrassy goodness with a spicy flash of nutmeg and that not so lovely iodine/antiseptic note (but that note is barely noticable).

After a bit: Ooh, I'm really liking this and think I must just yoink it from the husband's stash. It's kinda smelling like a rootbeer float, cool and yet warm and creamy at the same time. The medicinal part has evaporated.

A bit more: This is making my mouth water and is for sure going on my lists of 10mls wanted. I can't believe I've never tried this, I LOVE rootbeer. It's very much a spicey sassafrass scent, maybe a little tonka, maybe a little amber in there. I'm guessing it's the poppy and myrrh that led to the antiseptic qualities, thankfully they aren't dominant on the dry down.

Rating (on skin): 1/5

Summarised in a word or two: Myrrh.

In the bottle: Sassafras! Not much of a fan of sassafras...

On skin, wet: Eep. Spicy, myrrh-thickened sassafras. Already very heavy, weighed down by the myrrh that I dislike so.

On skin, dry: Thick sassafras and myrrh, and smokey, almost heady black poppy ...And there's the tell-tale headache.

Conclusion/Notes: Absolutely not for me. It's a very weird combination, sassafras, nutmeg, poppy and myrrh. It borders on intoxicating, but not in a good way. Much too thick, dark and heavy for me.

Edited by Aredhel

Laudanum starts out very bitter and unpleasant on me.

As it dries down, it becomes mega-overpowering-poppy. Finally, I find it bitter, dry, and dusty. This is one I should like more than I do - because it is unusual and interesting, but it is not a favorite.

Edited by themerrybaker

This is one I picked up just based on the name. I absolutely hate sassafras tea but in a perfume it is amazing! There is the nutmeg making this spicy and much more wicked. The poppy mellows the sassafras and nutmeg so the scent sort of creeps up on you. Laudanum is distracting and makes me keep sniffing my wrist. Very addictive!

on my skin: It smells kind of like band aids and root beer, but in the lovliest way...lol.

I'm definately getting Root Beer soaked band-aids too.

My first thoughts were- this smells like a dirty old doctor's office, I don't like it. And yet I find myself with nose firmly attached to wrist several times a minute. It really is an amazing scent and although it's not something I'd want people to think I smell like- it is something I like to smell. If that makes any sense. :eyeroll:

Also, tried it on a co-worker and it reacted different to her in the way that made me exclaim how much she reminded me of how my mom used to smell when I was a kid. I called my mom and go figure: she used to wear YSL Opium. :P

Overall, I don't have any plans of buying this but I may keep the imp as a curio.

In the Imp: Slightly bitter, slightly sweet, smoky smelling medicine.

Wet: Whoa, Sassafras! It's like I jumped into a bottle of rootbeer - like I spilt a cup of sassafras tea on myself. And while I love both rootbeer and sassafras, this is a bit overwhelming and powerful.

There is the tiniest bit of spicy nutmeg under it though.

Where da myrrh?

Dry: Still tons of rootbeer-smelling sassafras, but the nutmeg comes out a bit more. I don't know as I like how medicinally herby this smells. I like herbs, but I guess I tend towards more of the green ones than rooty, antique, glass-bottled medicine ones.

After a good long while, I also get a bit more dry, dusty poppy smell. So it's even mor e like a dusty old antique bottle of medicine that's been kept in the back of an old ladies bathroom cabinet.

Still no myrrh?

Throw: A good bit of throw. My husband could smell it before I got it to his nose and said it smelled of rootbeer and licorice. :P

Overall: It lasts a good long while, about six or so hours (like every scent I don't really love, it lasts, and lasts, and lasts). But I can't say all the staying power and good throw win me over from the highly medicinal smell of it. Maybe this will smell better on da hubby? I don't know if I can get him to try it after the rootbeer and licorice verdict, he's not fond of either one of those smells.

Possibly two imps of it up for swap.

Edited by Galatea

Laudanum - on my skin, it's soft, but dark. It's a soothing scent, and on me, seems fairly masculine. It's deepest, blackest myrrh with a hint of spice and something slightly sweet that I can't quite identify. It's definitely a scent that's too strong for me to carry off, but I think my husband may like it. I hope so -- I think it would smell gorgeous on him.

Well, I got one of Galatea's aforementioned imps in a swap...

This smelled somewhat camphorous wet, the camphor with a bit of clove, I am guessing that is the sassafrass. I noticed the cold sensation on my wrist as well.

this became extremely medicinal as it dried, with a sweetness under it like a lacquered box that holds powder and gauze bandages. It actually reminded me the tiniest bit of my aging Medicine Show. Power of suggestion, or?

I remember thinking, it must be strange to dream under the influence of this scent. Not exactly pleasant, but interesting nonetheless. I did not think I would want to wear it again, but I find myself wanting to reapply now that it has gone.

Edited by urbanruralferal

In the imp, it's wonderfully dark and intoxicating. I've no idea what Laudanum actually smells like, but I could picture- if that's the right word- it smelling like this. It seems narcotic to me, relaxing and alluring. I'm not yet able to identify most of the notes, unfortunately.

It retained those qualities after the initial application, but, alas, only for a brief while. After I had worn it for some time, both my significant other and I had the same reaction- "it smells like *random goth we know*'s car"- clove cigarettes. :P I don't mind too terribly much, but the SO has a passionate loathing for all things clove.

Bottle- Enough spice and incense to knock me over! I was a little afraid to apply it, as it seemed so strong, yet I did.

Wet- The root beer and licorice scent overwhelms, and there is a weirdly familiar scent from my youth below that. The incensey/myrrh smell hovers in the background.

Dry- The huge burst of root beer has calmed a bit, leaving a deep, dark, intoxicating scent. Warm myrrh surrounded by spices and smoke with a taste of sassafras.

I don't think I could wear this out on myself, but it would be great for a weekend lounging around the house. Once dry it gives me a sleepy feeling too, I will have to try it before bed.

holy guacamole batman.... :P

in the imp, it's vague... flitting. one moment I catch something, the next nothing.

on my skin, it's burnt foam rubber with a menthol kool overdose...

there's no hope for me with this addiction, off to the swap pile it goes!!

Right off the bat, I got the easily identified root beer smell of sassafras (a good thing in my book-love it in both Tombstone and Kathmandu), and dark myrrh. There's an acrid, medicinal quality in this, too-like a potion in a fairy tale. I don't know what opium poppy smells like, so I can't tell you whether or not it's in here- but there are definitely a few elements making an appearance. It's not a two-note blend at all.

Despite the fact that it smells distinctly UNfeminine and perfumelike in the first few moments, Laudanum dries down to ...a very close cousin to YSL's Opium, which was the scent I wore for years befpre BPAL.

If you don't know what Opium smells like: it came out in 1977 and has to be considered one of the most famous oriental blends next to Shalimar. It's extremely heady and smokey and suffocating on most people, but if it works on you...oh man, does it work on you. Fans of Shalimar, and to a lesser extent, Poison, would probably feel right at home wearing this.

I love this one. For something that starts out sinister and dark, it really transforms into a much more traditionally sophisticated blend.

One warning: if Laudanum does not work on you, keep a hell of a lot of soap nearby. This one has more staying power than even snake oil!