Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
shelldoo

New Year's Eve in Dogville

newyearseveindogville.gif

New Year's Eve in Dogville, C.M. Coolidge.

Flirty perfume, dapper cologne, and effervescent champagne.

in the bottle: light, cologney, slightly airy note.

wet: there is something very...dewey about this. i definitely get a champagne note, and a light breezy perfume type scent.

this one is one of those that smell differently up close then it does as you move around. i get hints of a masculine cologne scent as i move, but up close i smell a soft feminine, dewey scent, this smells light and bubbly up close, and it is quite nice.

New Year's Eve in Dogville - When I sniff this in the bottle and when it's first applied to my skin, it is the strong scent of freshly-applied men's cologne that's slightly herbal, slightly lavendery, slightly white-musky, and slightly piney, but mostly just cologney. As it dries down on my skin, the cologne dissipates and I smell champagne -- very dry, bubbly champagne. I don't smell the scent of women's perfume at all -- just cologne and champagne, and after drydown, mostly champagne. It's a nice enough fragrance, but after drydown, it's very subtle and it's not sweet enough for my taste. It's not like the strawberry-sweetened champagne of Bon Vivant. It's a very brut champagne scent. The scent doesn't last long on my skin at all, either, which kind of bums me out. I imagine this would be a great men's scent.

I was a little afraid of the generic "perfume" and "cologne" in this one, but they are really rich and wonderful - this is a light playful scent, with a touch of effervescent champagne, and a soft, almost vanilla floral perfume mixed with a more masculine leather/musk scent for the gents.

I'm sad! I keep looking for a champagne scent that will work on me, and they never do. This one is no exception. Not a hint of champagne on my skin = mostly a very elegant old fashioned perfume. If you are one who loves to dress as though you lived pre-1940, this is a great perfume for you.

N.

Oh, wow, this is really neat - definitely can smell the champagne and the intermingling wafts of men's and women's scent...

But my skin just kills it and after 10 minutes all I get is a weird, sour grassy note. sad face x 1,000

New Year's Eve in Dogville is interesting at first, but not at all wearable for me in the drydown. In the vial it does smell rather grassy, wet, and clean. It's like a lawn at night, covered in chilly dew. Something in here almost reminds me of cucumber or melon, but it's not as strong a note as either of those things.

On me... this quickly morphs into the sharp musk from hell. :D

It is the generic perfume scent of my nightmares; like my mother's old, musky perfume bottle that always smelled strangely off to me. Or like the heavy, cheap perfume that my sister-in-law uses to try to cover up the smell of her drunken binges. It smells like a very aggressive, sharp, cheap white musk.

New Year's Eve in Dogville is one of those musks that makes my eyes water and will give me a headache pretty quickly. I had to scrub this off after fifteen minutes. :P

Um. I hate this one.

In the bottle this one smells quite sharp and a bit ozone-y. Frankly that scares me. Fortunately, on my skin it immediately softens up and a musky, slightly powdery element comes through. I can smell the champagne note after it has sunk into my skin a bit- this is when I really started to enjoy the blend :P i really like the concept of this one and once again it's perfect for the painting; however, I don't see myself wearing this one that often as it is not very "me". That being said I will definitely hold onto my decant anyway.

Ick. I agree with the cheap drugstore perfume comparisons. I expected this to be elegant and bubbly, but this is a very sharp, overwhelming, bad musk. :P

Sniffing from the bottle: I get the "flirty perfume" and "classic cologne" vibe.

Upon application: When this scent hits my skin it starts to morph immediately. It gets sweeter and juicier, which must be the champagne coming out. This sort of surprises me, because champagne is not a scent that generally wears well on me.

After a little while: The dry-down on this is just lovely, and not really what I was expecting. It's softly sparkly, lightly musky and sweet in a not-overwhelming way.

Conclusion: I would describe this scent as a slightly fruity vanilla musk - like a sparkly, flirty Antique Lace. I think it's really, really beautiful. The Dogs are really agreeing with me!

NEW YEAR'S EVE IN DOGVILLE

In Bottle: Leather and cologne

On Skin: This is very masculine right from the start. It’s actually quite gorgeous, and I’d love to talk my husband into wearing this one. He likes a more perfumey note to his colognes and is not fond of really dark or incensey blends. This one is not as smoky as some of the other scents I’ve reviewed from this series. The champagne note is not really boozy, more just sparkly which is nice. It offers a little light in between the darker and muskier notes in this blend. There is also a slight sweetness to it. I really do like it. It has a medium throw and average wearlength.

This smells like, um... pimento? Almost like a green pepper. How very strange.

As it's drying I smell more of the "dapper cologne" in it, but it still reminds me of pimento.

I find this exceedingly odd, and I think there must be something wonky with my skin at the moment. I'm sure it's not supposed to smell like this.

Huh! It is sharp and acrid when wet on my skin, but the drydown! After about 10 minutes, it begins to get comfortable- the shoes come off, it settles back, and... dude. Is there leather in this? I swear I smell a hint of leather- it's not beating me over the head, either, as leather is wont to do on me, it's this soft leathery smell- maybe a musk? Once the cologne-y scent burns off, this is really lovely on me. I am so glad I got to try this one! My decant will be well-loved.

In the bottle: a strong neroli/petitgrain and cologne scent with champagne bubbles fizzing through.

Wet on skin: sharp cologne, effervescent and perfumey. It smells strongly of citrus or neroli, with champagne.

Dry on skin: perfumey but surprisingly pretty! I was worried this would be an attack of 'men's cologne of doom' but this might actually be quite nice. Indeed, the citrus based men's perfume is strong, and there's a hint of something woodsy/tobacco-like to that as well, but the champagne bubbling away adds a tartness of a different kind, adds life and sparkle. There's a pleasant floral-white musk scent, this may be a mix of hibiscus and osmanthus, because the 'flirty perfume' in here smells very much like that Japanese Salon scent, Itaso Kensai…but without the honey.

After a while: the sharp men's cologne tones down dramatically, and a delightful floral-musk dances through the scent, it's a white or skin musk mixed with a sweet flowery mix of notes I can't identify but I'm guessing hibiscus, osmanthus, neroli, maybe lily or a green floral note. It's also a bit fruity and has a note to it that reminds me of passion fruit for some odd reason. Maybe it's passionflower? There may even be a touch of cherry blossom or rice milk/wine to this. And I think there's some vanilla and moss here too.

The drydown is this lovely softly powdery floral scent, like a sweeter, drier version of Itaso or even Hungry Ghost Moon/Tamamo No Mae, it smells almost like an Asian scent. This playful floral-skin/white musk scent is almost like Stardust but with none of the smoky haziness of that scent, and this is a little sweeter, more youthful.

Verdict: this is surprisingly good! At first I though 'oh noes! Death by aftershave!' and that scared me a bit with it's aggressive intro of sharp cologne, a very manly and perfumey scent, but then this faded to leave a gorgeous and very pretty scent of bubbly feminine perfume. I smell the champagne and underneath is a mix of flowers wrapped in skin musk/white musk which smells like a retro perfume at times, and at other times like a delicate and unusual floral which reminds me of some of the Asian scents. There's a touch of fruit to it as well. It gets better and better as the musk softens and a sweetness, like vanilla (or maybe vanilla flower) comes out, and a little bit of pleasant powderiness. Whereas Stardust was smoky, drugged up, messed up hair and smudged make-up, smelling like what you'd smell like in the small hours of a New Year's Eve do, this is the 'before midnight' scent, the party's just begun and you've only had one champagne and are waiting for the perfect partner to dance with. A youthful, light hearted, gently flirtatious and graceful scent which starts off as masculine but ends off as being more womanly. A lovely party scent and a lot better than I thought it would be.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? yes! I think this has replaced Stardust as my perfume of choice for New Year's Eve!

If you like this, try: Stardust, Tamamo No Mae, Bon Vivant, Cottonmouth, Kindly Moon, Lantern Ghost of Oiwa, Itaso Kansei Jenkan…

I always get all excited over champagne notes, but I really don't think they like my skin. It makes it sort of hard to review the oil itself, since I think the champagne is the problem - it goes all sharp and plasticky on me, mixing poorly with the perfume-y quality. This one just doesn't work on me, but based on the scent in the vial, I can *imagine* it being festive and fun - on the right skin.

In the imp: Cologne, perfume

On Skin: Wow. This is like a time and place, and yes, it is New Year's. It's like wearing an event on your wrist. Cologne, perfume and a slight champagne fizz. Slightly effervescent.

On Drydown: This smells like a masculine cologne that I've smelled before (some commercial brand). Either an old boyfriend has worn this... or someone I wish had been my boyfriend! :P

Verdict: This is an olfactory experience. This is the night where you party with that handsome guy you've had your eye on, and yes, he does kiss you for the new year's. As an actual perfume, it's not something I'd wear because it veers into the masculine cologne. But zowhee... this would be dynamite on the right guy. I might have to try this on the hubby.

In the imp: very perfumey, and slightly soapy.

On me, wet: quite soapy now - I sense a little lavender in here, and maybe some lily.

On me, dry: okay, well at least it's stopped being soapy. Now it's very light, and what's there is sort of sharp and sour with a shimmer of champagne desperately trying to glam it up.

Verdict: Alas, not a keeper for me. I think I will rely on Nihil for my perfumey scents!

Smells as described. There's a bitterness that feels like the bite of booze. The cologne feels mature, like something my father or grandfather might wear. It's like aftershave; warm and mildly spicy, with traces of shaving cream. The perfume I smelled early on, it felt brass and cheap, overconfident. I almost feel like I'm at a holiday office party; older adults drinking, laughing at their own jokes, wishing the party were over but knowing that it's certainly more fun than being at home. My husband says this smells like perfume mixed with the sharpness of freshly cut green peppers.

[2 - Dislike] I think it's interesting, but far too masculine for me. My husband doesn't like it at all.

In the bottle: This is a surprise. It’s very green and woody. I’m picking up some men’s cologne and little else. Wet: Smells like my father’s aftershave from the 1970’s. Dry: It goes all chemical on my skin, with a faint hint of floral.

This is very musky and cologney in the bottle. I'm not really getting much perfume or champagne. Almost seems like there is a deep woody note in there as well. So far, I would put this on the masculine side of the scent spectrum.

I do get a bit more of that flirty perfume on my skin, which helps sweeten up the blend a bit, but still, this feels kind of like "generic" cologne. It's not bad, it just feels...meh. Nothing special.

It pretty much stays the same on dry down, though the cologne part fades more and more as it dries. That's good, because I like the perfumey side of this better than the cologney side. It's kind of hard to review this because it feels like such a simple blend, and bpal is usually so much more complex. That is probably the downfall of this blend and the reason it is not more popular. It is very nice and pleasant, but not unique-hence I don't feel I would really wear it.

In the imp: Sharp, bitter cologne.

Fresh on the skin: Exactly, the same, only a bit stronger and a bit sweeter.

5 minutes later: Wow, this is _bubbly_! Still very cologney, but not really in a bad way. Almost delicate, really.

10 minutes later: This smells very much of a magazine with several perfume samples in it that haven't yet been open. Again, not necessarily a bad thing. And the long-rage sillage seems to have a hint of vanilla.

15 minutes later: Does sort of make my eyes threaten to water, occasionally. But the vanilla aspect is definitely increasing, such that the scent at my wrist has turned both richer and sweeter, yet still quite light and delicate. Wow. This is actually really pretty!

30 minutes later: This has become a really gorgeous delicate vanilla perfume with an overlay of aquatic that threatens to turn to scotch tape on me the way ozone sometimes does, but doesn't quite. I'm surprised at how much I like this.

1 hour later: Yup, warm vanilla-ozone cologne.

3.5 hours later: Still going, still pretty.

5 hours later: Fading out a bit, but still distinctly there.

Verdict: Fascinating and kind of awesome. Maybe I'll try to snag a bottle. (In fact, I went to the Dark Delicacies trunk show and did snag a bottle. Yay!)

One word: Cologne.

First thought upon sniffing the imp: Hmm, this smells like my boyfriend. It's pure, unadulterated cologne.

On me, it lightens up a bit, and a hint of florals peeks out - I assume that's the flirty perfume. The florals are nice, but they definitely take a backseat to the cologne.

I think this is going to sneak into my boyfriend's tiny collection of imps. I'll just tell him that the notes are just like his cologne.

Edit: Okay, I'm stealing it back from my boyfriend. It took over an hour, but NYEID dried down to a lovely light floral perfume. Definitely hanging onto it for those times when I need to smell feminine yet sophisticated.

Edited by sprocket21