Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
arachne

Beachy, Tropical Scents

It might take some effort to find these, as they've been discontinued for a while now, but for tropical scents you really can't go past the Atomic Luau Lounge series. Reviews here

In particular:

MAHANA

Peach liquor, almond syrup, orgeat syrup, and pineapple cream de cacao.

PAHOEHOE

Grenadine, banana, and coconut rum.

UPA-UPA

Spiced rum, coconut, pineapple, and vanilla.

And of course, this one:

:

TIKI PRINCESS

A frothy, cold coconut perfume, pure and sweet, with gentle wafts of plumeria, pikake, and ala ala wai nui.

I always get a lovely tropical vibe from Shango (red apples, banana, chili pepper, coconut, pineapple, pomegranate and sugar cane), and Black Pearl has a gorgeous coconut/musk/nutty with a hint of tropical floral thing going on. Another one to consider is Wembley (white musk, banana, orange blossom honey, pineapple, and mint), and also Pet Magah Bird (blood orange, black plum, sugar cane, guava, frangipani, coconut, pimento berry, violet, caramel, and pear) is also a full-on tropical fruity fest. Another beautiful tropical-island LE to look for is Velvet Tiki (Gold-washed frangipani, vanilla flower, vanilla bean, coconut, hibiscus, papaya, pineapple, bouganvilla, passion fruit, and three orchids). I also heartily second OctoberGwen's suggestion of Nightmarchers - that one's quite unusual but really sumptuous.

Sorry for recommending things that are no longer available, but an ISO post should be able to help :smile:

Pele. Pele, Pele, Pele. I first tried it a few months after a trip to Maui and I was stunned at how precisely it smelled like Hawaii. Seriously, that is what the air in Maui smells like. It's ridiculous.

This so reminds me of Fiji, as does Moai, Moana & Tiki King/Queen/Princess. I imagine Hawaii might smell similar to Fiji :)

You guys are awesome! :wub2: I have an imp of Pele for her and a decant of Moai on the way. I will definitely look into the other things suggested. :)

I really love Epibulia from the LE Song of Nature update: East Indian Mango, cassis, blackcurrant, orange carnation, sugared coconut, and Maid of Orleans. It's a lovely tropical floral with a hint of mango-fruitiness! :)

I really love Epibulia from the LE Song of Nature update: East Indian Mango, cassis, blackcurrant, orange carnation, sugared coconut, and Maid of Orleans. It's a lovely tropical floral with a hint of mango-fruitiness! :)

Ooh that does sound nice! I'll have to look into it.

Xiuhtecuhtli:

Copal, plumeria and sweet orange and the smoke of South American incense and crushed jungle blooms.

I have a bottle of Xiuhtecuhtli actually. For myself, though :P I love it but I don't think it's quite the scent I'm looking for in this instance.

Obatala seems very evocative of Hawaii to me

Obatala’s ofrenda is soft, white and pure: milk, coconut meat, shea butter and cool, refreshing water.

edit - Just reread and noticed your request for specific notes..oops :blush: In that case, this doesn't actually match up with what you're looking for, but it does remind me of beautiful days on the beach.

Edited by hiddentwilight

Although Zephyr is not exactly 'tropical' smelling, I immediately thought of it when you mentioned a soft, cool breeze. It's one of my favorites and reminds me of a breezy beach day. I also agree that Pele is gorgeous and evocative of Hawaii.

Also, if you're still searching for more tropical type scents, I've found some really nice ones in the prototypes. Albedo v5, Arsenic v2, and Haumea v1 in particular.

Hello!

I also posted this question under the topic for BPAL that smells like Designer fragrances. But I'm not limited to an exact replica.

My best friends favorite scent is Light Blue by Dolce and Gabbana. She isn't very girly and enjoys the beach and if you have ever smelled Light Blue, it smells like an ocean breeze. I want to get her a BPAL scent of something that isn't too floral and is in the same scent category of Light Blue.

Here are the notes included in Light Blue... but I am also not limited to just these scents, any BPAL that smells like the ocean wind would be great!

Here is the basic info of Light Blue copy and pasted... I feel like the description of Light Blue is exactly what I'm looking in a BPAL scent.. Even if it doesn't smell like Light Blue... If that makes sense...

Description:

A stunning perfume, overwhelming and irresistible like the joy of living. The scent is surprisingly colored with the liveliness of Sicilian citron, the happiness of Granny Smith apple, and the spontaneity of bluebells. Feminine and resolute notes are expressed with the intensity of jasmine, the freshness of bamboo, and the charm of white rose. The deep and true base embodies the character of cedarwood, the fullness of amber, and the embrace of musk.

Notes:

Sicilian Citron, Bluebell, Granny Smith Apple, Jasmine Sambac, Bamboo, White Rose, Cedarwood, Amber, Musk.

"The East" (Neil Gaiman, Stardust) immediately came to mind. It lists: Bluebonnet, passion flower, freesia, jasmine tea, mint, thyme and red currant.

Mermaid is beachy, for sure. But maybe a bit too floral? It might be worth tracking down an imp of, if you're desperate. Notes are: pink seaweed, lotus petals, Tahitian tiare, white gardenia, orange blossom, sea salt, and vanilla-infused benzoin.

Thanks everyone!

The other smell I get from Light Blue is a crispness that I think comes from the green apple. You can necessarily identify the green apple scent in Light Blue but I think that's what gives it the crisp beach scent

Jolly Roger definitely smells beachy, but it didn't have the crispness that you're talking about in Light Blue (at least, not on me). On me it started as a mildly sweet aquatic with a leather undertone, and it got increasingly salty and leathery with some dry woodiness as it dried down. So definitely beachy! Sand and saltwater and a bunch of driftwood. But maybe not what you're looking for. It also has a pretty masculine feel to it.

My friend is extremely masculine (shes a girl, but just masculine, and NO that's not an insult, just her gender identity), so maybe she would like Jolly Rodger. One of the reasons I love BPAL is because I hate the smell of Alcohol or whatever is put in most mainstream perfumes. They seem to all give me a headache. My friend is the same way. She loves the smell of Light Blue but hates the Alcohol-ness( or whatever is put in most designer perfumes) so she only wears it on special occasions when shes willing to put up with the headache to smell nice.

So maybe I am going in the wrong direction with the beachy. Maybe more crisp without smelling like laundry or too floral. Im so bad as describing scents

How about these?

Alcie: Bright nectarine, honey, sandalwood, green musk, sea buckthorn berry, and oakmoss.

Aizen-Myoo: Yuzu, kaki, and mikan with cherry blossom and black tea.

Light and Swift: Swift joy and bright passion: white lavender, lemon verbena, and elemi.

These are getting more into crisp, juicy, and fresh, rather than oceanic (though Alcie is compared to the beach in a couple reviews).

To me, the way a note smells in a commercial perfume rarely smells similar to its BPAL equivalent, so my recs are mainly going off the feeling you described. Crisp, clean, aquatic, beachy. How about....

Kumiho A sharp, biting blend of crisp white tea and ginger.

R'Lyeh A hellishly dark aquatic scent

The Deep Ones Black algae, drooping seaweed, salty brine, and crushed coral.

Baobhan Sith Grapefruit, white tea, apple blossom and ginger

Sea of Glass A scent of inimitable purity, crystalline grace, and limitless light

Twenty One (No notes listed, but this is the scent of a dirty martini. If she can handle the boozy-factor, it might work!)

(all imp-able GCs)

Edited by BoneBone24

My friend is extremely masculine (shes a girl, but just masculine, and NO that's not an insult, just her gender identity), so maybe she would like Jolly Rodger. One of the reasons I love BPAL is because I hate the smell of Alcohol or whatever is put in most mainstream perfumes. They seem to all give me a headache. My friend is the same way. She loves the smell of Light Blue but hates the Alcohol-ness( or whatever is put in most designer perfumes) so she only wears it on special occasions when shes willing to put up with the headache to smell nice.

So maybe I am going in the wrong direction with the beachy. Maybe more crisp without smelling like laundry or too floral. Im so bad as describing scents

Light Blue smells like dry, scratchy almost cottony woods with green apple.

if that's Light Blue, then Mme. Moriarty is Light Red :P it's got the dry scratchy wood thing going on, but with pomegranate and plum instead of green apple. when I first smelled Mme Moriarty, I immediately thought of Light Blue. it's also a fav of mine.

however, it's pretty rare seeing as how the Carnival series is on hold for now. I got my bottle from eBay for like $40 I think. you may be able to find an imp in the sales and swaps section of this forum. maybe even a full bottle.

I honestly wouldn't know what else to suggest. Mme Moriarty is seriously the closest BPAL to Light Blue.

I'll edit this post if I think of anything else!

ok, some others:

Anne Bonny: this is sort of like Light Blue but with no fruit. it smells salty, beachy, and woody to me. gender neutral. it's a general catalog scent so a full bottle is $17.50 and a sample is $4.

Aureus: another general catalog oil. similar to Anne Bonny, but a bit less salty and a little dirtier smelling. one of my favs.

Lilith vs The Giant Crab: probably the beachiest of beach smells, to me. it's a bit sweeter than light blue. it's like an orange creamsicle with dry, salty sandalwood and salt water. I love this one so much that I buy it whenever I see it for sale without question. it's a very common limited edition scent. you can usually find some on the forum and ebay. it usually goes for no more than $20.

Edited by ModderRhu

Mary Read, it's in Bewitching Brews : Salt air, ocean mist, aged patchouli, sarsaparilla, watered-down rum, leather-tinged musk, and a spray of gunpowder.

I really love this one, the patchouli is a light grounding element here. It's very nicely blended, the sarsaparilla just giving a tinge of sweetness.

Try Y'ha-nthlei (A swirling, lightless, effervescent scent: the deepest marine notes with bergamot, eucalyptus and foamy ambergris). It's my favorite BPAL aquatic and is very beachy and beautiful.

It's got the citrus, ambergris (similar to amber but saltier) and warm but bright quality you're looking for.

Also have her try Glasgow (The rich scent of wild blackberry breezing over gentle rosy heather) if possible. I know it probably seems like an odd rec, but it has a soft, breezy and clean vibe similar to the perfume you described. It would definitely work well at the beach, and despite it having heather it's not really "girly."

I second The East like Ash said too, though it's not as reminiscent of the ocean as Y'ha.

Edited by Balame

Thanks everyone! Lots of great recommendations ! You all are great as describing scents!

Edited by Allison93

I used to layer Jolly Roger with Black Pearl during beach vacations! The latter does have a floral note, but I found it was pretty well covered up by the coconut/musk. So perhaps your friend wouldn't mind it?

Port Royal may be up their alley, also. It's spicier than the above, but still obviously nautical.