Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
arachne

Beachy, Tropical Scents

The White Musk single note dries down to the perfect salty, tangy ocean scent on me. It's a lifesaver for when I'm experiencing one of those Pisces too far from moving water moments.

I'm rather the opposite, running to the hills at the onset of a salty tang in any of the BPAL oils. I've only tried two that really conveyed the "sea-spit" smell I am so rather unattracted to: Jolly Roger and Neptune.

Alas for you, Neptune is no longer in circulation. I've given my bottle to my roommate, so I can't send you a sample.

Good luck with finding something!

-doreen

I was glad to find this thread because finding the perfect sea scent has been a quest of mine as well. Even though I very much liked Tears and Sea of Glass they are almost too "clean" if that makes sense. When I think of the ocean it is the Atlantic. I think what I am missing is the iodine tang of seaweed, which is common along the shores I wandered. I am probably the only person who would go looking for the scent of seaweed. :P

I am about to try Lightening and Undertow, so the quest continues. Please post if anyone has further suggestions.

well, you got some good suggestions already...add this into the mix: it isn't the ocean but bayou is a murky and not too clean watery scent...i also love r'yleah too :P very ozone-ish and fantastic.

I mentioned it in passing, but I'll say explicitly, Dragon's Tears is very salty. Perhaps good for that ocean feel.

Oh, Penthus is apparently very similar to Tears, which was a salty blend. Red Hot Mama is currently auctioning an imp of it with all the other oils for UNICEF. See the link in my signature and look for post #20.

-doreen

I grew up near the ocean (and am a Pisces) and I could never live far from the ocean. A few hours is the most I can stand. So I feel your pain.

Dragon's Tears reminds me a LOT of the ocean.

I like to smell like what I'm drinking and right now it's a lot of old school cocktails and Tiki drinks. Lots of lime, cranberry, citrus, gin and coconut. I especially love the sharp and tart scents. I've been alternating SHATTERED, MUSE and LAMPADES, but I'm afraid of wearing them too much and getting sick of them.

I'm also really curious about "aquatic" scents. Some of my fave Lush soaps (Sea Veg and EVO) have had the marine flavor.

What's so weird is that I hate the beach and sand and sun and all of these things scream "tropics" to me. :P

What do you suggest? I want to try and narrow down my list and maybe get a few new ideas from you guys.

Thanks!

Tarot: The Star...lime rind and shredded coconut.

And...Jolly Roger is like...like...being in the Pirates of the Carribean movie!!! :P :D

I like to smell like what I'm drinking and right now it's a lot of old school cocktails and Tiki drinks. Lots of lime, cranberry, citrus, gin and coconut. I especially love the sharp and tart scents.

Thanks!

The moment I read this I immediately thought Tarot: The Star. On me it is a very tart lime and coconut. A little too tart for my tastes, but it really lends itself to your desired flavour/scents.

At the other end of the spectrum, Pele is a gorgeously soft and mild tropical scent which is very pretty.

I really think you should try The Star though, given your taste in cocktails! :P

ETA: Joseybird beat me to it! :D

Edited by Pookstrell

I like to smell like what I'm drinking and right now it's a lot of old school cocktails and Tiki drinks. Lots of lime, cranberry, citrus, gin and coconut. I especially love the sharp and tart scents.

Thanks!

The moment I read this I immediately thought Tarot: The Star. On me it is a very tart lime and coconut. A little too tart for my tastes, but it really lends itself to your desired flavour/scents.

At the other end of the spectrum, Pele is a gorgeously soft and mild tropical scent which is very pretty.

I really think you should try The Star though, given your taste in cocktails! :D

ETA: Joseybird beat me to it! :D

Thanks so much for replying! The Star is on my "someday" wishlist. I can't really afford a big bottle right now. :P Anyone have a sample they want to sell or swap me?

I'm not hot on my bottle and have it up for swap...

Hmmm...Shanghai I'd also reccommend =) It's tea and honeysuckle and lemon...beautiful...like fresh, sweet water to my nose! So glad I have a 5 ml coming my way :P

Machu Picchu smells like mango peel to me. With some deep greenery mixed in. Tropical enough? :P

I recommende Pele, but I think Scarlet is right. Machy Picchu is much more tart and it sounds like you might prefer it. Hope you find the Star! Unfortunately I got rid o my imp a while ago, otherwise I would have sent it your way.

Spooky is very Island girl on me...my skin eats the chocolate and the mint and I am left with gorgeous coconut with faint liquor :P

Have you tried Swank? Pomangranite martinis :D

Juke Joint is so good...pure Mint Julep...having been a bartender, you could layer this with a cranberry like Lampades maybe for a fruited effect.

Grog is naughty pirate drink :D and so good...

Blood Countess is sort of like a wonderful punchy sangria...mmm...

Enbalming Fluid is nice green tea with lemon.

Bewitched is sooooo good blackberry with green tea.

Centzon Totochin is like a winey-boozey chocolate drink...so enticing.

gosh, there are alot of them when you think about it.

ps- for marine aqua, I recommend Bayou and R'yleah!

Edited by lavinia

Spooky is very Island girl on me...my skin eats the chocolate and the mint and I am left with gorgeous coconut with faint liquor :D

Have you tried Swank? Pomangranite martinis :D

Juke Joint is so good...pure Mint Julep...having been a bartender, you could layer this with a cranberry like Lampades maybe for a fruited effect.

Grog is naughty pirate drink :P and so good...

Blood Countess is sort of like a wonderful punchy sangria...mmm...

gosh, there are alot of them when you think about it!

Ooh, I've been wanting to try Juke Joint. Grog is very cocktail-like on me. Very, very boozy indeed! :D

I absolutely agree on Machu Picchu. It was the first thing that popped into my head when I read your post.

Oh man - Machu Picchu and Manila sound incredible. I hate artificial banana anything, but I hardly think Elizabeth would create a Laffy Taffy-like banana scent. And Spooky sounds PERFECT. :P So what's your advice on getting ahold of a discontinued LE (or even a decant of one)? I rarely see them available and when I do, I always seem to PM someone just after they've swapped to someone else. :D

Tenochtitlan is totally tropical! It's like Pele on steriods.

Also Perversion layered with Yerevan is like eating drippy peaches whilst sunbathing on the most tropical of beaches...glorious.

I would think you're out of your tropical drinks phase now LOL, but I was thinking about this very thing. I usually have a cocktail or two every night and love to combine the scent/taste of my cocktail with what I'm drinking. Sometimes I have to sacrifice and compliment it instead of match it

Tropical drinks - agree with other posters on manila, I like the bit of coconut in Black Pearl as well. When I can't get the fragrance to match, I like the tropical flower feel of machu picchu, pele, venom, forbidden fruit, kurukulla (I never spell that right, but suffice it to say, fruity heavy lotus w/rose.

Choccy cocktails (like mudslides, screaming orgasms, anything chocolate/amaretto, baileys etc. and creamy) - centzon tetochtin, bliss of course, chimera works very well for me and again, black pearl (hmm, what a versatile little scent that is LOL), Wanda and perversion seem to go well in this area too. And i like the spicy/cinnamon cents like Sin and the Lion.

Wine, sangria, port - Bordello, Lady MacBeth (sangria city to me), hellfire, hetairie, lampades, Tenochtitlan (did I spell that right?)

Classy cocktails (martini's, regular mixed drinks like rum and coke, etc. and all those others that are alchohol alone or mixed w/soda, light, effervescent). Swank, Juke Joint and many of the aquatics and citrus scents work well for me here. Whitechapel, the LE Ice Queen, that type of thing.

I have often thought of just pouring drinks into my bath to get a matching scent for that LOL

Wine, sangria, port - Bordello, Lady MacBeth (sangria city to me), hellfire, hetairie, lampades, Tenochtitlan (did I spell that right?)

Also, I'd add Corazon (port) and Blood Rose (sangria) to that list.

My favorite aquatic scents include: Sea of Glass, Water of Notre Dame, R'lyeh and -- if you can get it -- Tears.

For a random tropical, I'd recommend Tempest: it smells like heady tropical blooms after a hot rain.

Before we moved here we lived just a few blocks away from the water and I really miss the smell. The summer was the best with the saltiness mingling with grass and flowers and that damp, fresh scent.

Soooo any scent suggestions for me?