Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Heavenlyrabbit

Brown Jenkin

A small, furry, sharp-toothed scent that will nuzzle you curiously in the black hours before dawn: dusty white sandalwood and orris root, dry coconut husk, creeping musk, and the residue of ceremonial incense.

This is another one I really wanted to like, and I do...I just don't know how well. It has a really nice, coconutty air to it, along with what smells like hints of chocolate...I think sandalwood smells like that to me sometimes. I think it ultimately must bow down to Death Cap.

Soft woodsy sandalwood with orris and coconut. Brown Jenkins is very light and very fuzzy on me. So comforting and snuggly, it is on of my favorites.

I don't recognize enough of the notes to pick everything out, but this does remind me of miskatonic university. It has the same weird "dust" smell that tickles the back of my throat and makes me want to sneeze. When I first put it on I could swear I smelled patchouli, but it's not listed in the notes, so perhaps that's the ceremonial incense. For a few minutes it was a nice, slightly sweet incense smell with that troublesome dusty overtone, but then my nemesis musk creeps in and takes over, smelling like bad b.o. Too bad.

Brown Jenkins

In the Vial: I wanna say this reminds me of spicy leather, but leather's not a note. I guess it's the musk I'm smelling.

Wet: The spiciness of the sandalwood, maybe the incense and the earthiness of the musk.

Drydown: Now I'm smelling the dry powderiness of the orris root, maybe the coconut? Not sure. But still, definitely the sandalwood.

Verdict: I loooove this wet and the drydown is nice, but not my favorite for now. I'm definitely going to be keeping this imp, but I'm still not sure it's bottle-worthy yet. I wonder how this blend ages.

ETA: 20 minutes later, it's v faint, but it's musk. Lovely, lovely musk. I wonder what this would smell like if I applied v liberally. Might just be bottle-worthy after all. :D

This morning I stumbled across this imp while searching for a scent for today. This was purchased when it first came out, so it's aged for.... however long.

On my skin, right away I saw a similarity to Black Pearl. While that one was coconutty aquatic, Brown Jenkins is mature coconut with the dried husk thrown in for good measure. White sandalwood always smells 'dry' to my nose, which keeps it from being foody. There's either musk or incense or some such thing which, again, keeps it away from the foody/tanning lotion realm. It' mostly a Brown Coconut on my skin, which is ok by me :)

I thought for sure I'd already reviewed this one. Ah well...

Brown Jenkins smells wonderful, but so bone-dry that it makes my nose tickle a little. The coconut gives a little sweetness, but it is the dry roughness of coconut husk, not the moist creamy flesh. The sandalwood is really dry and a little cedary as usual for me, (:() But it seems to be held slightly in check by the coconut and musk. I'm not familiar with orris root, but I've read that it is really dry as well, so that is probably adding to my overall impressions.

Overall, Brown Jenkins smells really great, but its dryness keeps me from reaching for it as often as some others. It stays pretty true on my skin, and the throw and wearlength are outstanding. (8+ hours)

Wow, this is . . . cute. Downright cuddly. I never thought I'd think of a perfume as being cuddly or snuggly, let alone a perfume of a hideous rat familiar with a human face :P Utterly pleasant, dry, furry, and it snuggles right up to you and stays there. Absolutely lovely!

For me the sandalwood, coconut husk and musk are the strongest notes. I normally despise coconut but I actually really like the husk - it's got a hint of that coconut scent without the sweetness. Very comforting. I for one am impressed. I'm keeping the imp, though I don't know if I could use up a whole bottle - I'll try putting this on when I'm feeling a bit low. It's good company.

This is dark on me and I like dark.

Deep woods and infernal spices.

It remained dark until it had a "bathroom cleaner" moment within a half hour then went strangely chemical on my wrist.

Now, an hour in, it smells tropical. The coconut takes hold.

It was nice and dark, now it's tanning butter. Yipes.

This is truly an evil creation! I think this is what Lovecraft was talking about! :P

Edited by Madame Nyx

I'm getting orris root, incense, and sandalwood. Orris root being the strongest note. I like it, but this is a bit too masculine for me to wear myself. Might be nice on the hubby though. ;)

So, Brown Jenkin--just not for me. Kind of reminiscent of Ivanushka, which turned simultaneously sharp and powdery on my skin; this does about the same, except it's woodier. I like the sweeter/more feminine woody scents, but this is just too masculine for me. However I'm never going to forget it because my parrot was responsible for cracking open an imp of this and spilling it on my comforter. :eek: Thankfully none got in his beak.

in the imp: very faint musk and coconut

wet on skin: coconut & musk

dry on skin: very tropical, in the tanning lotion sense. smells like coconut tanning oil...

Oh, this was such a delight. One of the scents that turned out very close to what I imagined from the scent description, only better. Wet, I got a well-blended mix of musk, sandalwood, and incense - all very sweet. It's dry but in a really pleasing way; soft as incense ash. The sandalwood does not get sharp or cedar-y as it can on my skin. The feeling of this scent is snuggly, and the brown color association totally fits. I don't recognize the sweetness as coconutty. Instead, and this is a little gross, but it seems almost saliva-like to me, like the smell of kissing. Yep, that's Brown Jenkins to me: makeouts under a brown cashmere blanket.

I didn't notice this changing much from wet to dry. Throw was very light, but it seems like such a skin scent that I don't mind that like I normally would.

Preparing my latest imp order brought me farther into the General Catalog than I have ever ventured before. Thankfully I wandered into Arkham and came upon Brown Jenkin . . .

In the Bottle - huskily sweet and rich, with coconut husk and incense foremost

Wet on Skin - the husky sweetness becomes drier and more complex when applied. The sandalwood is quiet, not sour and the coconut husk is furtive, not too sweet. Musk and orris root give depth and the incense rounds out the scent with a dry parchment feel around the edges.

First Impressions - Brown Jenkin sidles up and nuzzles you with ticklish whiskers, then bites the tender underside of your arm, innocent of all but instinct and therefore terrifying. This brown, furry scent emerges from contradictions (as one previous reviewer pointed out): one half step from mamalian, commonplace and otherwordly; enticing, familiar, and perverse - like your favorite taboo. A cunning brown scent if ever there was one, and right up my alley.

Mid-Dry - the scent dries further under the influence of the white sandalwood and orris root, which support and balance the coconut husk. The musk creeps along in the depths, while the incense lingering in the backround is ground down to a very fine, soft powder.

Drydown - Brown Jenkin cuddles down into a breath of powdery incense and insidious musk. It nestles close to the skin for a good six hours and has an intimate throw that invites others into your compelling, unsettling aura.

The Fella Says - with a quirked eyebrow: "Mm, it's subtle. I like it". He sniffs not once, but twice and draws my wrist closer. A mischevious endorsement.

The Verdict - I've re-applied three times today just to renew that toothsome, peculiar bite. Brown Jenkin has burrowed his way into my heart and slain me with his toothsome, wicked, unassuming and kinkily strange allure!

A Big Bottle Purchase? Definitely.

Rating - an unreserved 10!

Brown Jenkin is Single Note: Cedar on my skin. I couldn't smell anything else, from start to finish. I do amp cedar, but I'm confused because I don't see it listed in the notes. It's possible I'm smelling a combo of things (sandalwood plus musk?) that reads as cedar to my nose.

It does smelly kind of furry, though!

I can't get enough of Brown Jenkin.

My friends are all well aware of my perfume addiction.

When i wear brown jenkin my friends flock and comment, "now this is unusual and nice, what are you wearing!?!"

My friend named his internet server after brown jenkin because he loved it so much.

Anyway off the topic, it is warm and fuzzy, but strangely dignified and squirrely at the same time, i wear it when i feel up to no good, yet in a casual non-sexual sense. I work at a lush, and i love lush, but i don't want to smell anything like it since i am there all the time and this is no typical earthy lush like scent, although still very well grounded.

It reminds me of a red leather briefcase, with old books and dusty papers in it, or a visit to an old town like Gettysburg, on a dry summer day.

The coconut it no beachy nut, it is husky like they describe, like smelling a rip coconut before it is cut.

This wears through the baltimore humidity and makes people stop and sniff me constantly.

No soapy smell, no powdery note, and the incense is not over powering. the musk stays a base and does not take over the other notes.

Another thing i love about this is the throw, you can smell it about 2-3ft from me and it wears 4-6 hours and it stays consistent, doesn't transform too much on my skin, just gets lighter. This is the perfect quirky scent for me, and it wears me, i don't wear it, and i love that about it, it's a great year round piece of art! I am considering ordering another bottle, but i'll wait till this is 1/2 gone.

Brown Jenkin is the only coconut scent I have been able to wear from BPAL. It is a warm, lightly sweet scent which does remind me somehow of a light shade of brown. It seems halfway between vanilla and chocolate. Really a nice scent...4 out of 5 stars. Decent wearlength and throw. It's a skin scent with a foody-sweet note in there somewhere.

Brown Jenkin

Frimp from the lab. This is INCENSE on me, which is unfortunate because I'm not really big on incense blends. It's also doing the cedary thing on my skin that Cathedral does, although it's not as strong as in Cathedral.

Brown Jenkin

On: Sweet coconut and dusty sandalwood, with an undercurrent of musk.

1 hour in: This smells like dry, powdery, sweet coconut. Very nice.

1.5 hours in: Sandalwood and musk, with sweet coconut.

2 hours in: Sweet, dusty coconut. Very pretty and light.

3 hours in: Pretty and sweet. Still dusty.

Overall: This is just OK on me. I like Organ Grinder way more for my coconut fix.

My first try with Brown Jenkins wasn't successful, to say the least. Dusty, a little sharp, lacking cohesiveness, it looked like this scent wasn't going to work for me, even though I usually get along very well with all the notes listed.

Fast forward a year or so, as I try this again for reviewing purposes.

What a dramatic change!

Wet, this is all coconut incense of the highest quality - far from being cloying and musty, it is refined, airy and bright. Were I to find such a lovely incense for sale, I would burn it in my home all day long!

As the oil settles down on my skin, the orris and sandalwood show up and impart a slightly drier quality to the scent, as the coconut recedes in the background.

After complete drydown, I am left with a beautiful resiny/woodsy fragrance. I saw many reviews comparing Brown Jenkins to Midnight Mass, but on me it's very reminiscent of a fading Tombstone with a faint hint of coconut instead of the vanilla. Gorgeous, and a definite keeper.

I received this one as a frimp with my first order.

in imp: mostly coconut plus sandalwood and musk (? I think)

on wet: More sandalwood and musk - less coconut - does smell brown and furry

drying: warm thick sweetness like molassess - very cosy - increased coconut on drydown- this is sitting in a library full of wonderfully dusty old books in a large comfy armchair stuffed with coconut husks

wear it when: I am in need of comforting

bottleworthy?: I've already placed an order for a 5ml and fidgetingly await it's arrival

In the imp this is a dry, light, sandalwood-y scent with a kiss of sweet white coconut. Very pleasant.

Huh, I'm not usually a sandalwood fan, but the coconut is just so pleasant here on my skin. Just a touch sweet and white. It goes very well with the dry sandalwood. Not getting that much musk or incense.

This stays a soft sweet coconut scent for quite a while, until it eventually fades to a light sandalwood. I know I keep using the word pleasant, but that really is the best word I can think of to describe this scent. The sandalwood never went too woody for me and I just loved that coconut note (and was sad when it eventually faded).

I wouldn't need a full bottle of this, but if I ever see a partial, I'd probably jump on it. A lovely soft sweet coconut/sandalwood scent.

Aw, it's so cute! Sandalwood and just-right coconut and incense. This is surprisingly soft and snuggly and comforting.

In the Vial: UNH. The best way I can describe this is: OMG GOOD. Sweet resiny goodness. There isn't actually a resin note listed so I'm guessing the incense is an amber incense. I can smell the coconut husk, and it's definitely husk rather than straight-up coconut, but I think the sandalwood is partially responsible for that dry, dusty quality. The orris root makes it slightly floral, and the musk provides a good foundation. There's something bright and fruity about this, too.

Wet: Ohhhhh. Coconut! Coconut and resin and sandalwood and musk. Oh my god, I can barely form words right now. Let me repeat: OMG GOOD. And SEXY.

Dry: Just looked up the full description, and yeah, I can see this being a furry, nuzzling creature. It's getting much darker and woodsier, and the musk definitely has that animalistic quality that I love. The only disappointment is that the coconut has ebbed somewhat. It's still there, but in the background. Still: OMG GOOD. I can't stop smelling it.

An Hour Later: Yay, the coconut has gained steam again! Other than that, I don't think I can pick out any individual notes. It's all creamy, smoky, sexy darkness.

Overall: It's a little too smoky in the way that some blends are on my wrists and hands, which means it should be perfect on my neck and chest. And I CANNOT WAIT to put this on my boyfriend; I have a feeling it will be amazing on him. Either way, I foresee a bottle of this in my future.

Wet, this is a really nice coconut scent. Dry it was sort of mild and inoffensive. A little too subtle for my tastes. Fuzzy coconut, but not much of it and not much else. The strangeness of the musk doesn't come out on me.