Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
salamandrina

Herbert West

Aftershave, embalming fluid, and splatterings from a panoply of reanimation reagents.

In the imp: …Huh. Somehow, I never made the connection that the embalming fluid would be, you know, Embalming Fluid! Nevertheless, that's what I smell in the imp: a slightly lightened but still tart and lemony version of Embalming Fluid. There's something else here that's more green and masculine, adding the kind of astringent, herbal chypre-twinge that I associate with men's aftershave, but I can't put my finger on what it is. Moss? Thyme? Bay? It's something along those lines. Oddly, it's an appealing and pleasant scent.
On, wet: At first this is all LEMONY Embalming Fluid, but the astringent green-herbal element from the imp quickly comes to the forefront. It's a clean, fresh, citrusy aftershave-ish scent… I wouldn't say soapy, because people always mean that in a negative way, but there's a suggestion of somebody who's well groomed. ;) Something about this actually reminds me a little bit of the sharper green note in Leipreachan, even though this has zero other notes in common with it.
On, dry: This is so strange, but this really does behave a lot like Leipreachan on my skin, despite not having leather or any apparent metallic notes. The lemon and herbal green are still present, but they've blended together and mellowed out quite a bit, while an unidentified sweet undercurrent has become steadily stronger (behaves a bit like… white amber, perhaps?). Something about the sharp-sweet combination gives this a metallic feel, though, which is (I think) why some part of my brain keeps stupidly insisting that this is similar to Leipreachan. Perhaps one of those "reanimation reagents" is metallic? It's still a very clean, rather fresh and citrusy scent.
Later: Sweet and clean, but not at all soapy, just… mmmm. Nose buried in my wrist. The metallic tinge is gone, and it's dried down to a lovely just-sweet-enough state—something like white amber, or maybe even vanilla tea—with a twinge of that lemony Embalming Fluid.
Overall: Honestly? I expected to hate this one, just based on the description and inspiration, so imagine my shock this smells so clean and fresh and nice! Not for me, no—the aftershave just feels too manly for my tastes, although the dry down is entirely unisex—but I think this would smell great on a guy. It's like the smell of a really nicely-dressed, quiet, clean-cut guy after he's just had a shower and put on aftershave. The crisp lemon runs throughout the various stages of this one, but it's never overpowering, and the slightly metallic quality in the middle stages is very intriguing. I won't keep it, despite the great dry down, but I know a guy who will put this one to very good use. Edited by Bluestocking

"I was busy pushing bodies around, as you well know, and what would a note say, Dan? 'Cat dead, details later'?"

Oh, I love this one. I definitely want a 5ml! Despite the fact that I've ordered a lot of scents based on aftershave and men's cologne, I'm rather picky with mine, having been in the presence of too many guys who overuse it. But this . . . this is brilliant. It's an aftershave, but it's not a cloying, off-the-shelf aftershave, which I'm sure has to do with the embalming fluid soothing it.

It's the faintest Black Phoenix fragrance I tried so far, but that's why I like it, it doesn't assault you, it's quiet, reserved, function over form, with very little interest to impress you or jump out at you - much like the good doctor West himself. On first application the aftershave overpowers the other scents, but on drydown it weakens, and thirty minutes later the embalming fluid, which is thick, rich and dry - a sort of musky but clean tea with a hint of citrus - comes to the forefront as the aftershave mellows perfectly - not disappearing entirely but remaining faintly and pleasantly detectable. This scent is absolutely brilliant on me.

I'm not sure about what the reagents are supposed to smell like and can't detect them yet, but maybe after prolonged use, and after my nose is a bit better trained? I have two more imp's ears of this coming my way and I'm rather glad I do, I definitely want to wear this more often, it's a great everyday scent, crisp with only a slight sense of foreboding.

Out of the bottle: Can't really smell it that well. It keeps escaping me. Got this for a freebie so maybe it's just because I'm not sure what to expect.

First impression on skin: It smells like hairspray. Like the old stuff in the aerosol cans, and a bit like the strong smelling cheap liquid soap they put in public bathrooms. I'm really not enjoying this. It's also rather strong on me. Strange because I've read quite a few comments saying that it was faint, but on me it's much much more strong than white rabbit or aizen-myoo.

Later: It got lighter after an hour, and smelled a bit like the minty Listerine. I'm not sure why this scent keeps smelling like PCPs to me. It's not so bad though, and it definitely is starting to smell masculine. A few more hours later and it got musty and then faded away.

Well overall it was rather disappointing. I was hoping it was one of those scents that I disliked initially but would get better when it dried. At least this was a freebie so I think I'll give it to one of my friends to try.

AM I the only female who loves this scent on me???

I love Embalming fluid and this has that huge splash of lemon that works wonders on me. This is what a lazy summer day smells like to me and I think I may have to get a bottle, for ME!!!!

LOVE it with all it's lemoney goodness!!

I might share with DH and see how it smells on him!!

Herbert West seems like the lovechild of F5 and Embalming Fluid! Bright green tea with a splash of lemon. As it dries, it becomes a little herbal. Very refreshing.

Imp: Light, fresh cirtus men's aftershave.

Wet: Green tea. I wonder if the embalming fluid is actually, you know, Embalming Fluid as in the Ars Moriendi blend. This reminds me a lot of it, especially on my chemistry. This is a fresh, clean citrus/green tea sort of blend.

Dry: Citrus and green tea with a little something that does smell not necessarily like formedehyde but like something I sniffed in the chemistry classes of bygone years. It's pleasant and clean and inoffensive in that I could probably wear it absolutely anywhere. Borderline masculine but verging more on unisex.

Throw: Good.

Overall:I'm kind of ambivalent. I'm happy that I don't smell like embalming agents but I'm also not particularly wowed by how my skin worked with the overall scent. Smells like a clean man. Nice, just not my bag.

Frimp from the lab.. (nice)

I kinda like this! I haven't smelled the original Embalming Fluid yet so can't really compare as to what's missing or added..

Wet: a pouf of aftershave consisting of bay leaf, lavender., and some herb like thyme or sage? Not the synthetic modern kind of aftershave or old spice. Actually pleasant....

Drydown: lime, weird distilling chemicals that come off a bit like gin (reanimating agents and embalming fluid combo I suppose) and wafting flowers + herbs.

A fun curious unsettling scent!

In Bottle: Green tea, lemon, and a metallic, chemical tinge.

Wet: Green tea, perhaps too strongly brewed. Lemony musk is strongly present, as well as the continuation of that chemical sort of feeling. Currently quite masculine seeming, with a slight herbal presence and a very dominant musk note. Also, I would swear up and down that there is metal in here.

Dry: Very fresh, clean exterior to this scent. The majority of the throw is subtle aftershave and tart green tea. Quite delicious and refreshing from a distance. Closer in, there's that metallic presence once more, as well as musk and something not quite right. Unsettling, but in a good way, not a queasiness inducing way. I would say it's more of a traditionally masculine scent, especially up close. However, I like it very much indeed, and will happily wear the decanted mini-bottle I have. Not quite certain if I love it enough for a bottle, but I will likely invest in an imp to top off my mini-bottle.

I will say that this scent mostly matches the image of Herbert West I have in my head. It's not exactly it, but I'm not quite sure yet where the divergence is.

Seriously good scent, though. Shame it doesn't seem to be more popular.

EDIT: Coming back to this two weeks later to say this has pretty much shot up my list of favourites to be my favourite GC blend ever. So. Herbert West is addictive. Hnh.

Edited by thebirdofhermes

Parsifal with a hint of Embalming Fluid and some aquatic notes! <3

This is one of the freshest of the BPAL scents. There's something about men who can bring the dead back to life that turns me on and so does this scent. It definitely does Herbert West justice.

In imp: Mmm, that's what I'm talking about. A deeper, more complex, manlier version of Embalming Fluid. I can wholeheartedly say I like this better so far.

Wet: That lemon tea-ness of embalming fluid is strong on my skin, as well as a backing cologne that is really very nice.

Dry: Sexy, sweet, tart, and masculine, this one goes into my imp box right next to Embalming Fluid. I won't seek more out, but I'll be happy with my imp. 3/5

Wow, I haven't been on here in a long time!! I've tried many scent sin the months that I haven't been on here and I just just remeber what they've smelled like on my skin. So, here's my review. :)

This smells like a cleaner Embalming Fluid, without the musk. More alcoholic, like cologne. Slightly more feminine. Citrus, lemon, and alcohol. refreshing. One of my new favorites!

I love this, actually. Spilled the entire imp on the hem of my dress while getting ready for work and didn't have time to change, so I just mopped up the excess as best I could and got in the car. Tons of compliments all day -- the bits of Herbert that I'd dabbed on my skin morphed into musk and the bits that soaked into the fabric of my skirt stayed lemon tea, so the best of both worlds really. The next time I wear it, I'll put it in a scent locket -- I like it wet better than dry.

I bought an imp of this because it makes me think of Jeffrey Coombs, and he & Bruce Cambell are my B-Movie idols... But I digress..This is definately too masculine for me to wear out of the house but it reminds me of my late Dad.. He would *always* smell good, he had tons of scents and when I kissed him goodbye I would smell his cologne on my cheek & this reminds me of that. It makes me feel all warm inside with happy memories. If my imp ran out I would buy another but not a bottle.

Edited by coralprincess

In the vial: Something lemony, an astringent note that reminds me of tea, and some musk in the background. A bit soapy.

On: Initially intensely soapy, but the worst edge is taken off as it starts drying. There is still a soapy twang in the background, however. Upon complete drydown, it smells like "freshly showered and washed with lemon soap dude." So far, I'm not a fan.

Later: Very cologne-y, still quite citrussy. Since I'm not that huge on citrussy man-scents, this one will wander on the swap pile.

This smells like honeydew white tea. Lemon verbena and tea dominate. Somewhat astringent and cleaning chemically. I prefer Embalming Fluid, though I wouldn't wear either. Has strong throw and long wear. It mellows a little over time, smelling less like cleaning chemicals and more like honeydew white tea. A very brisk, clean scent for guys that want to smell sinisterly shower fresh. A definite pass for me.

Just the other day some friends and I were watching "The Re-Animator" and while not true at all to Lovecraft's work, is extremely quotable. I was rummaging around in my collection of imps and I stumbled across Herbert West and just for kicks and giggles I decided to try it out.

In the imp: smells clean, hospital clean. Must be the lemon/citrus...

Wet: Still retains that lemony scent but there is an added soapy/aftershave like scent that is absolutly delightful. A bit on the masculine side but its kind of like stealing your boyfriend/significant other's clothes and being bathed in their scent.

Dry:The aftershave really has center stage with lemon in the background

Final verdict: Defiantly not a scent that I would wear often but would love to smell on a significant other. Very clean and masculine, just heavenly.

In the bottle I could smell lemons, but there's a note of something acrid to it as well.

On my skin there's almost no lemon, just the scent of a really pleasant aftershave with a bite. I have no idea what the note(s) giving it the bite is/are, but I like it a whole lot. I can see why it's considered a more masculine scent, but on me it's wonderfully crisp and bright.

Very strong, plenty of throw. I've had it on for three hours and if anything it's stronger now than when I put it on! Fortunately I like it. This may be one to buy in a bottle, it's put me in a fabulous mood and smells amazing.

In the vial: Green, clean, sweet aftershave.

Freshly applied: Cologne and aftershave. This reminds me a bit of being a kid and being around my dad as he got ready in the mornings.

Drying: Very much a clean aftershave/cologne. This would be a very safe scent to wear to any sort of work (if you work at a place that doesn't enjoy you smelling like some of the more unusual blends).

Later: Slightly herbal smells coming through, but it's still giving the overall "clean guy" smell. Very nice overall, and much better than some of the random shaving-product smells I've smelled before.

Really liking this one :)

I was worried this would be too aftershave-y on me, but quite the opposite is true.

Straight out of the imp, I smell... 7-Up! It's fizzy and lemon-lime and sweet.

At the half-hour mark, I pick up a distinct whiff of iced sweet tea with a lemon slice. There is a hint of something spicy like ginger or white pepper. There is also, as time goes on, something dry and herbal that I think is sage.

I don't get any musk at all. I think I pick up a touch of some kind of creamy white floral in the background.

Over the course of the day, this mainly evolves into a light, pleasant lemon smell. It's nice, and I think it would be good on any gender of person, but it's not particularly compelling on me. Not sure whether to keep this imp or not. I feel as though any day I'd seek out Herbert West, I'd probably rather put on Envy, which is more interesting on me.

Edited by rhubarb3point14

This is one of the first scents that I got from BPAL, I believe the imp came in my first order sometime May 2010. I tried it before but I remember not being very impressed. It has aged some now, and here is what I think:

imp: very lemony, very cologney

wet: the lemon is first, jumping out immediately.. right behind it is the cologne, it slowly overtakes the lemon and becomes almost musky and leathery.. with a lemon.

drydown: it's a very lovely balance of cologne and lemon scent (not pledge or anything sharp on me, just a very lovely true lemon oil) but there is something else in there too.. it smells like.. a very clean mad scientist's lab.. kind of leathery, kind of metallic, kind of.. I don't know.. weird chemical stuff but not unpleasant - it's not sharp, but it is in the background, gently unsettling and kind of creepy

Reading the notes:

not surprised, can definitely smell all that.

Note to those who tried this fresh and were unimpressed because it was too faint/faded too fast/too lemony no cologne or other stuff, like I was: do let it age a bit and try it again.

Eta: I put the aged imp on my DH... OMG GRRWwwrrr.... It gets some sort of smoky note that is completely absent from when I wear it and it's like the lovechild of Dorian, Embalming Fluid and a good dose of smoke. RAWR!

Edited by Farenath

In the imp: This is pretty sweet. Actually, I think the "embalming fluid" note is actually, well, BPAL Embalming Fluid, since I just tested that today, and the lemony-sweetness is here as well. It also smells like rose. Light, sweet citrus and rose was sure not what I was expecting from the description, but that's what I'm getting.

On, it's a fresh rose. It kind of reminds me of The Rose with the green stem note it has. This is SO not what I was expecting from this scent. It smells good, though.

I just got an imp of this, and when I read the description, I was scared off, to be honest. Who the hell wants to smell like a mortuary?

I'm not familiar with the catalog Embalming Fluid at all, so it wasn't until I read the descriptions here that I "got it." Clever.

Opened the imp and hey, it's not horrible. In fact, it's fresh and nice. So I took a chance and swiped some one. Hey. This is really nice. It's almost on the edge of too feminine for me, but... on the edge. I think my chemistry saves it. I'm getting much more of an aquatic citrus that's really similar to Sea of Glass. I don't get a lot of aftershave in this, but maybe I'm not noticing it? That, or I've been getting cheap aftershave. The harsh alcohol of it isn't in here.

You know, I think this is a keeper. This is one where the description really does the scent a huge disservice. I never would have picked it out on my own if I hadn't gotten a frimp.