Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A new year’s blessing! Peony, China’s national flower, with bamboo for flexibility, plum blossom for perseverance, courage, and hope, tangerine for wealth, orange for happiness, lychee for household peace, pine resin for constancy, golden kumquat, pussy willow, and quince for prosperity, narcissus and King mandarin for good fortune, and peach blossom for longevity, with a splash of blazing red of dragon’s blood… to help you scare away the rampaging Nian.

In the bottle: Gorgeous, bright citrusy fruit with pomegranate. Love.

On initially: Looking at the note list, I'm getting tangerine, bamboo, kumquat, and orange. Now lychee and peach blossom, too.

Changes to: Fades a little and not quite as sweet. Clearly morphing and I think I smell the dragon's blood now. The bamboo is very strong now and the fruit has taken to the background.

Overall: I thought I'd review this to see if I still loved it, and I DO! Amazing fruitiness, okay throw, okay lasting power, high on the morphability.

Ok I have to agree with the_cat_godess when I say that the pomegranite is pulling out the big guns here. (It's like a more complex Swank). But behind that there is whole massive ginormus bowl of fruit that's fizzing in lemonde!

IT'S GORGEOUS!!!

There are so many things in here that can't pick them out. This is so bright and lovely I want to drink it.

After a little while I can smell the sweetness of the peony and it comes to the forefront quite a bit and pushes the other stuff to the back...*wonders why fruit NEVER lasts on me when it's my favourite kind of smell* :P

From there it basically stays more or less the same, the Peony amping with a slight fruity background...

I suppose I'll just have to keep reapplying to get that gorgeous fruit bowl wet stage!

Fruit salad. Fruit, fruit, and mooooore fruit. =)

It isn't too sweet, there's some rind and such to give it a little structure and keep it from heading into punch or juice land.

Ten minutes in...

Some of the fruits are already fading. I can smell the bamboo and maybe the pine resin. It's still nice, but, I'm not sure that I love it without the fruits. Fresh, light, and invigorating, though.

Unfortunately, most fruit doesn't last very long on me.

First sniff: Insanely fruity (mostly melon?), with a nice waft of deep spicy dragon’s blood tokeep it from being too hyper. Very nice.

Wearing: I really like this! Layers and layers of bright juicy fruit. Given the notes, I expected it to be super-citrusy, but it seems to be more about soft fruits like peaches and plums.

In the bottle: citrus, tart fruit, a splash of hawaiian punch, and a deeper note- dragon's blood?

Wet: More of the same, but more tangy & floral??

Dry: No more hawaiian punch! The notes are merrily battering each other. It's the tangerine cousin of what I hoped to get from Glitter! After about 20 min- the sweet flowers come out, as well as some green stuff

Aftermath: The fruit sweetness fades a little. The green comes out more & it tempers the blend. The peony & dragon's blood are kinda of hybridizing. It's a very complex blend that seems to "sway" between notes, rather then morphing or battling.

-----------

Edit to add (2017) - I still have this bottle. The floral notes have faded a touch in the bottle- but my skin likes amping these florals (yay aging & me aging LOL). It's floral with a touch of sweet fruit on me nowadays.

Edited by Lemonlife

In the decant, this is smelling pretty similar to Earth Rat, in fact, I'm pretty sure it's the same note list. Not sure why I'm going to try it on my skin; probably cause I'm stubborn like that. ...Yep, same scent. Swaps.

Super-fruity! I'm pretty sure I smell lychee in the bottle, and the citrus and quince come out on me (do you know, I actually went around sniffing quinces in the supermarket, to make sure I could identify the note, since it’s in a lot of BPALs?).

I think I get a little green out of it too, but no florals or dragon's blood, which is fine. This is...Lifesavers. Or gummy bears. Except it's really EXOTIC gummy bears! The gummy bears would be purple, red, and orange, I think. And I would swear that I smell actual peach and plum, not just blossom, but I get them confused sometimes. Yup, fruity candy. The list of notes certainly SOUNDS complex, but there's nothin' complicated about Fire Pig. Sometimes you just need straight-up candy smells in your life.

Fire pig is one of those rare scents that actually didn't change at all from the bottle to my skin, or from my skin to dry. It's bright and sweet - a perfect summer blend. I love the different fruits and sweet notes of it! I get a lot of peach, mandarin orange, and lychee from it. There's a tiny bit of floral in the background, but 95% of this scent is fruity on me. I think this could be a summer staple!

In the IMP sweet sparkling strawberry and grape wine.

On me the same :joy: oh this is just AMAZING. Sweet sweet grape wine. Very fruity and bright. I can faintly smell the lychee and orange but they blend in with everything it’s hard to distinguish. All I know is this is fruity grape and I am in Love.

Huh. I had forgotten the notes of Fire Pig when I tried it; I'll just say that I'm really surprised at some of the notes.

In the bottle, FP is super fresh fruit: citrus, kumquat, cherries? It's delectable, regardless.

This doesn't morph on my skin at all; my skin must like fruity scents, because most that I've tried have stayed really faithful to the first sniff. Anyway, Fire Pig smells like fruit punch! Delicious, spicy fruit punch! I understand the correlation to Hungry Ghost Moon, but this doesn't have that gorgeous musk note that HGM has. Still, Fire Pig has a beauty all its own. The spiciness must be coming from the dragon's blood? This is my first tryst with dragon's blood, and if FP is indicative of that note, then SIGN ME UP!

This really is light and delicious--perfect for summer! I bet this would be fantastic layered with a white musk/vanilla scent. I might have to layer this with Zephyr or Dorian and see what happens. :evol:

Ok, honestly there's too many notes here for me to begin to hope picking them out: I'll go with overall impressions. :)

In Bottle: Fruity, bubbly explosion. I got this because I fell in love with Earth Rat at a Meet and Sniff; all I can say, though, is that where Earth Rat gave me the impression of something bright and green and vibrant, Fire Pig is also vibrant and bright, but *orange* and *red*. Like more currants and cherries.

Wet: Florals come out on my skin, but I still get a brightness that must be lent by the lychee or mandarin. Something dish-soapy is emerging. It may be bamboo, oddly enough, giving a sudsy-sappy impression...

Drydown: Bubbly, bubbly, soap formula... but, as it dries further it kind of subsides and turns into ... melon? That must be lychee, or even kumquat. Something round, juicy, and yet soft and surprisingly one-dimensional. For such a vibrant and complex blend, it almost turns into a single note on me.

Verdict: I'll give it a few more test runs, but it's a little too much like a scent I feel you'd find at a body works store or even general lotions/body washes for me. I like things with a little more depth. Maybe this will surprise me later on? icon_biggrin.gif

Too much dragon's blood for me- which makes my throat hurt somehow!! Gawl Fire Pig I wanted to love you!!

By the time I got my vial, it had aged for 6 years or so..? Wet: fruity hard candy....all kinds mixed together...dry: mostly lychee, so very bright and sweet, with a little bit of citrus rounding it out. I like this for the spring and summer months and found that it can be deepened attractively by layering it with Jolly Roger (which I hate on its own!), plus, doing this also makes it last longer. If you plan to wear it on its own, wear a fixative because it has only 3-4 staying hours. I definitely think it is reminiscent of CNY and will start collecting these from now on....

I'm not entirely sure this sample is Fire Pig. I received this imp with its unreadable label from someone who was "pretty sure" it's Fire Pig. It certainly looks tattered enough to be 11 years old. But let's all take this review with a grain of salt.

First whiff is sweet sweet sweet lychee and light florals. There's something just a little bit tart in there as well. Oh, just lovely. As it starts to dry on my skin, I'm getting a little dryer sheet. Yet a very nice fruity dryer sheet. Yeah, I'd say it's becoming more and more dryer sheet-like. The fruits have softened up and are hiding behind something "white." I actually happen to like it, though.

I first sniffed and sampled Fire Pig from a friend who had been into BPAL much longer than me a while back, and it was the start of my obsession with the Lunar New Year scents.

The scent in the bottle, but especially on my skin, is a vivid scent memory of little lacquer platters of dried and candied fruits put out during the Lunar New Year by my foster family and at community events. With the windows open to freshly blooming trees and vases of cut flowers in the room.

I've managed to acquire a bottle from a lovely forumite and it is as I remembered it and so so lovely.

On me the tangerine and lychee are especially punchy, carrying the scent, with a strong supporting cast of the rest of the citrus. The gentle waft of florals mingle well, but peony and peach blossom are both recognizably there and fitting to the scent. The resinous notes lend a warm backing to the scent.

I love this scent so much! It's not my favorite of the Lunar New Year scents I've tried to date, but it's certainly up there, and I'm so glad to have a bottle of it.

My very kind brother has given me a decant of his Fire Pig, and this one may very well be my favorite of all the lunar new years scents. It is such a lovely balance - fruity without being TOO fruity, floral without being TOO floral, and just generally delightful. It doesn't have as much throw as, say, Wooden Goat, but close to the skin it's still going strong. I will be interested to see its longevity over the course of the day.