Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shadesong

The Ecstasy of Infatuation

The Ecstasy of Infatuation:

Black cherry, pink grapefruit, white musk, lemon verbena, champagne grape, pikaki, plumeria, and Hawaiian ginger.

Mmm...this is juicy, sweet and tart, and very fruity. :P It smells wonderful, but its lasting power is not the best. Still, it's a keeper, and I'll be trying it in my scent locket to see if I can get it to last.

On application I get grapefruit and a flush of dark cherry. I'm optimistic that the cherry will come forward, the grapefruit will die back, and other notes (like ginger!) will come into play, but it is not to be. After about an hour the cherry dies away entirely, and the grapefruit starts smelling rotten on my skin. If you've ever smelled rotten citrus, you know it's not the worst smell in the world, but it isn't pleasant. Fortunately I didn't apply much and the throw is very light so I didn't have to wash it off. After another couple hours, the scent dies entirely. I never got any of the other notes.

Mmm. Happy fruit - very cheerful, joyful, perhaps fleeting? :P The champagne gives it a sparkling feel, the verbena a bit of savoriness to ground it - perhaps there is a future to this infatuation. But mostly, this is the whirlwind joy of early lust.

When I first put this on it is very fresh grapefruit.

As it dries I can smell the cherry coming out, but only from a bit aways. When I sniff right at my arm it is still all grapefruit.

Now that it is pretty much dry it is a very nice sweet and tart scent with a touch of floral and ginger. It is really beautiful, but something in it kind of bothers my nose. That is only when I sniff right where it is, but I'm so bad when it comes to BPAL. T_T I walk around sniffing my wrists and I can't do that with this one.

I like this, but I might swap it to someone who loves it.

Fruity and sparkly, like champagne should taste, but doesn't. I don't get much grapefruit; on me, it is sweet and bubbly. Simply heavenly.

Edited by tarotgirl

MMmmmmm, yummy fruity decadence! I mainly smell black cherry and grape smothered over with grapefruit. There is a certain creaminess to this fruit blend; I'm not sure what it is but it's so.....unexpected. Like a cherry fruit salad with whipped cream on top. Simply divine.

This does not have a lot of throw, and it stays very close to the skin. But, close, up, it smells simply wonderful. I love this, and I would love to get my hands on a bottle. :P

In the imp: faint cherry and grapefruit and white musk.

On me, wet: grapefruit, plumeria and cherry. It's a bit syrupy to my nose, though - oversweet and cloying.

On me, dry: plumeria and cherry. Where'd my citrus go?

Verdict: A bit powder-and-syrup, I think. All sweetness with no real scent behind it on my skin.

Wet: Citrus, cherry, ginger.

First on: This is a lot lighter than I was expecting. I think my skin just ate it up. I get the vaguest hint of citrus, plumeria and ginger at this point.

Dry: Umm...hmm. It's very light and clean, and by clean I mean...why do I smell like a bar of soap? :P There is basically no throw either, I can't smell it unless I stuff my wrist against my nose. Ah well... I will swap it for something else I suppose. It was nice to try it anyway. :D

This is fruity and citric, heavy on grapefruit, lemon, and a hint of wet ginger. The musk and grape come in second. Very pretty, but probably not a scent for me.

Infatuation has a perky, upbeat attitude, almost bubbly you could say. It's relentlessly happy, belongs right up there with Fire Pig for "scents you wish you could slap for smiling all the damn time."

On, it's nearly pure grapefruit; so pure I can feel the pulp between my teeth, taste the juice. Before I wrote this review, the last time I had grapefruit was at my grandmother's house in California, more than 15 years ago.

The musk bellies up under it, and the weirdly herbal lemon of the verbena. I'm not getting any cherry, and very little of the florals. The ginger is in there, perky and bright.

This is a light, cool, clean scent, one I could see using as a linen spritz or a summer scent where you don't want to smell too funky.

I, personally, like scents with more depth and character; this one seems like a bimbo you might take out for a one-night-stand. But far be it from me to judge; if that's your thing, and you probably know if it is, check this one out. It's certainly quite attractive.

Ecstasy of Infatuation

In the decant: cherry-almond, grape, fruity floral notes, a sweet tropical cocktail of a scent.

Wet on skin: cherry-almond with fizzing champagne and citrus notes.

Dry on skin: whoa, this smells incredibly effervescent! Not just with the champagne and the fruits, but also the musk-it's an airy, bubbly white musk note. The cherry becomes more fruity and the grape note is dominant (it smells more like purple grapes with champagne now), the Hawaiian florals are also present-indeed, it now reminds me of fruity Pele. And Pele smelt like Alka Seltzer with weak floral notes on me…I smell the fizz from that scent but so far, the scent is quite agreeable.

After a while: just like Pele but with sweet fruit. There's a hint of purple grape flavoured sweets to this, with a touch of white grapes, cherries and flowers. The sweet fruitiness reminds me of those Asian gummy sweets that I've received in swaps and forum sales. The floral scent though has become an oddly flat and chalky smelling scent like a hangover cure tablet fizzing in a glass with just a hint of flowers. It's a little disappointing, since the white musk note is very pretty, but it smells like fruit flavoured sweets and flowers drowning in tonic water. It goes disappointingly one dimensional and a little bland after a while (I really hate saying such things about BPAL, especially ones with lots of notes and with lots of potential to be unusual and complex, but that's skin chemistry for you), despite that white musk note.

The drydown is pretty much like Pele, with white musk added. There's something almost blackberry or black raspberry like to it as well-a tart purple fruit which isn't cherry or grape. After a few hours of wear, it becomes a pretty, airy white musk with purple fruit and Pele flowers, but it seems a little faint now.

Verdict: this is my least favourite of the Ecstasies, I'm afraid. It had promise, it started with a fizz and a sparkle, but it went flat on me, literally. It smelt very flat and plain despite it's pretty and complex notes. At first it reminded me pleasantly of gummy sweets, champagne and tropical blooms. It was very pretty and light. But then the florals turned a little bit strange on me…I'm one of the few who disliked Pele, and this reminds me of fruity Pele…a strangely bland floral with a hint of sugary fruit flavoured sweets. It had an odd fizz to it after a while-no longer champagne, and more like a tablet fizzing in a glass of water for soothing achy tummies or hangovers. I like the white musk that appears at the end but it's not worth waiting through a scent which my skin turns into a non-event, rather than the celebration it should have been, for that stage. Not an infatuation for me, I'm afraid!

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? No, I'm not infatuated, sadly.

In the imp: Plumeria and sweet cherry/fruity floral

On Skin: Same juicy floral fruity, the plumeria is the strongest note though.

On Drydown: The plumeria is very dominant but I get hints of the lemon verbena and ginger now

Verdict: This reminds me to a better version of the Bath and Body Works 'plumeria' smell. I suppose it is because the plumeria is so damn predominant on my skin. *Sigh* Off to swaps this is.

I get a lot of pink grapefruit from this at first, and just a very faint whiff of florals. As it dries the grapefruit isn't quite so showy, and the florals are more pronounced. It smells sweet and rather tropical to me. It's bright and cheerful, and the whole scent smells pink. Also I can't really tell there's any lemon verbena in here at all, which is a good thing for me.

When it's dry it's a little too floral for me, but I like it better than most other florals. It's quite pretty.

Given to me by the fabulous Miss Christy.... I somehow missed when the Trading Post was doing this at all, so I'm surprised and pleased about getting to try one. Thank you!

In the Imp: It was interesting smelling this at the BPAL orgy last night and not knowing what was in it. Now that I've read the description, I can pick things out-- the white musk reminds me of the base of Embalming Fluid, especially when mixed with the lemon verbena, but there's lots of pretty fruit on the top, making it sweeter and juicier. No champagne or florals yet, but maybe a little ginger in the very last stage of the sniff.

Wet: Soft, fruity-powdery, with more floral and a very pretty spice underneath-- the ginger, I suppose. Grape is sometimes chancy on me, but this one seems to be behaving well... in fact, I can't even smell it.

Dry: This dries down to a soft, vaguely fruity-floral, golden second skin scent. It's gorgeous, but very very light, which is a bit of a pity. I'll wear this, though, when I want to smell good but not overwhelming-- long car trips, perhaps, and visiting relatives, and work. Mmm. *puts face into wrist again*

Infatuation is my very favorite of all the Agony/Ecstasy blends. It took me by surprise because I thought I would like the more sultry Ecstasy blends more than this. However, it is positively stunning. It is the perfect scent expression for Infatuation. There's the juicy bite of cherry, the uplifting grapefruit that reminds me of euphoria gained through being fixated on someone, and the gorgeous tropical flowers.

Amazingly, this is not too fruity or tangy on me. It doesn't make me think "food" when I smell it. Instead I get that hypnotic plumeria and pikaki, which sits beneath the most delectable layer of citrus, cherry and grapefruit. The ginger seems to stay quiet but present.

This has an average throw and wear-length. I rated this 5 out of 5 and I will hoard all I can of it!

If you like this, try Baobhan Sith.

Ecstacy of Infatuation (almost colorless yellow-green oil)

Imp: watery cherry with a slight citrus twist.

Skin: Grapefruit, grapes, cherry and flowers. Its beautiful. I agree with alicia, the fruit doesn't smell foody, it blends in beautifully with the flowers.

The verbana is just a touch, and as for the ginger...well, I didn't catch it :P This gets quite musky in the finish.

Before the musk hits, this smells clean and romantic. Like being 14 and in love with someone you haven't even talked to before.

Light weight, breezy cool, Spring and Summer blend.

Wow!!! I realize this has a lot of fruit, but I don't really get a fruit scent from this at all, more of a blend of floral-fruit that is soft with a sharp edge to it. I LIKE this!! In the imp I wrinkled my nose a bit but now that it has settled down, ohhhhhh..... I like!!! I definitely want more of this scent!! (laugh all you like). :P Then again, Plumeria has always been a favorite scent of mine.

In the bottle: Light citrus and black cherry. Not overly strong or sweet.

Wet: Still very similar, but the citrus is clearly grapefruit, and I can smell hints of musk, grape, and tropical floral. Very low throw - tis a slatherer. A little sweeter on my skin. Faintest drop of spicy-fresh ginger.

Dry: Wait! I'm channeling a spirit...ooh, it's the spirit of Lovers' Parodies of Sumo Holds. This is is like the multifruit, fresher-lighter daughter of LPoSH. It's gotta be that citrus-pikaki combo. The ginger is also brighter and more apparent in dry down. Overall, it's more floral and less fruity now.

Summary: Such low throw and lasting power, sigh. Faintly fruity, citrusy, lightly spicy, ginger-fresh tropical floral with an underlying sexy, feminine musk. The plumeria eventually emerges and mingles beautifully with the other notes. This leaves me craving more...much like an infatuation!

Try this if you like: Lovers' Parodies of Sumo Holds, Baobhan Sith

Edited by fairnymph

This is the happiest scent I own!!

It's bright and sunshiney, perfect for a spring day!

If only it lasted longer :P

I don't really pick out any scent in particular, though I love the lab's grapefruit and cherry, & if you'd asked me, I'd have called this a floral, but... :D :) :D

In the bottle: grapefruit, cherry and ginger in a soft, fresh blend.

Wet on skin: mostly almondy cherry at first. Not entirely unlike Libra 2007, but paler.

Dry on skin: not much throw. Light, cool and fruity, mostly citrus. Very faint, but I like it a lot.

2nd wearing: this is the lime scent I've spent almost a year looking for! The crisp citrus is softened by grape and light florals, while gentle white musk lingers in the background. I really slathered and walked around in a very faint, pastel coloured haze all day and it was lovely.

This is ridiculously faint! Fortunately I've found that if I apply right under my ears the throw is enough to reach my nose, so now I'm happy!

Edited by Lyrical

In the vial: Sweet and fruity: grapey, grapefruit, and then the plumeria.

Wet: I can already make ot the white musk, which is often a deal-breaker for me. But the rest of it is sweet and penetrating, with grape, grapefruit, and ginger leading the way. The cherry is present too, also the ginger.

Half an hour: This reminds me a bit of a fragrance I used as a teen. The fruit is mostly gone now; it's musk, a bit of floral, and some grapefruit. I like it very much, but it's quite subdued and, I suspect, will not last long.

One hour: This has changed almost completely. It's become an unrecognized tropical floral (must be the pikaki, with which I'm unfamiliar), and smells very light, almost blue in impression. This is the first time I've actually liked the white musk note, so I'm quite impressed.

Three hours: Very light and almost aquatic scent on me now. My husband was able to pick out the cherry note at one hour, but I wasn't.

Four hours: It's definitely a gentle white musk with a bit of blue-smelling something or other above it. So like infatuation, it comes on strong and sweet, then fades to a gentle memory. But the white musk note is still working for me this time, which is the big discovery I can take away from this sampling.

Five hours: Now it's down to that white musk note that doesn't work on me. Ah well, it was fun while it lasted.

In the bottle - This. Is. LOVELY. Grapefruit in the front with a musk background and then plumeria as an anchor. This is truly fantastic.

Wet - Wow, that is a really white and light grape in that.

Drying - Now that is interesting. The grapefruit completely left the mix and the ginger and verbena came out, but only a little. It's a very pale mixture of musk and champagne grape with a touch of the floral. But it's barely a smell anymore, yet my nose is warm when put near my wrist. It clings to me, but it's not the bright scent that it was.

Dry (2 hours) - It's just totally gone. Well, it disappeared so much once it was on and it just faded even more. What I can smell is a lighter version of the drying phase. :/

Overall - This just smelled so good in the bottle! Why oh why didn't my skin hold onto that?!

Ecstasy of Infatuation

Yay, black cherry! Sadly, the cherry is only prominent for a moment before the grapefrut and the musk (?) come rushing forward like overenthusiastic cheerleaders. Then it goes high-end soapy (not unpleasant, but not what I had hoped) and then it's mostly gone.

I was a bit leery of the verbena, but it doesn't come out on me at all. This one was a pleasant surprise--no verbena, and I absolutely love it! It actually reminds me of this cherry-berry soap BBW had years ago that I couldn't stop huffing :lol: Of course after they ran out, they never brought it back. Now I've got it all bottled up; the juicy cherry and champagne grape really come to the front, the citrusy stuff gives it tang, the musk some sexiness and the florals and ginger an exotic twist that isn't too typically "summer". Luscious!

Background: I've had this sitting in the box for awhile, and rarely reach for it because the 5ml is likely all I will ever be able to afford. When I picked up the bottle for a review application, all that I could remember of it was that it is a very "sexy" scent.

First Dab: Pleasure to remake your acquaintance, Ravenous I mean Ecstasy of Infatuation, I didn't remember you being anywhere near this sweet or syrupy when first applied. And why are you orangey to my nose? Through the sticky haze I can *sort of* detect aspects that want to emerge, but can't. The musk, verbena and any other nuances have been avalanched and dominated for now. It's just sticky, and loud and... obnoxious.

The 5 Minute Mark: The cloying sweetness was the first thing to go, thank goodness. Next, I get whisps of grape and a hints of ripe cherry, which are still fighting an uphill battle to be noticed: the citrus note. The multicolored fruit phase is short lived-- maybe a couple of minutes? As the fruit fades into the distance, the previously missing notes open up like shy night blooms. The white musk is dominant on my skin, hovering over a simpler base of green florals. Although I disliked the first stage, this transformation is making it well worth the wait.

Thirty Minutes Later: The floral aspect blends really well with the other elements, here. The citrus is starting to resemble grapefruit, but a bitter, citrus rind thing is starting to creep in. I agree with the comparisons of this blend to Baobhan Sith, as it performed a similar routine.

An Hour: Sum of it's parts, this is very pretty... But it's fading quickly. I wouldn't wear it to a serious meeting, because it reminds me of funhouse furniture polish when first applied. The later stages are pretty enough, but on me it becomes a melange of elderly women's perfumes. I think it might smell better to me in the spring, since the cold weather has my tastes a little skewed in favor of spicier blends.

This is a great scent for mixed company occasions, where you might not want to risk smelling like incense. Apart from the short lasting power and weird morphing, I like it. I'm glad to have a bottle, especially for the warmer months.

Edited by Indig0