Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

She boldly goes forth to meet her lover, heedless of propriety, intoxicated by love, and radiant with youthful, innocent passion: Damascus rose, African orchid, cream accord, and Kashmir musk.

When I first put this on, it reminds me of this soap I loved as a child, "Mon Chel" I believe. I was crazy for rose scents, but this is such a subdued rose...it blends so well with the rest of the notes that I think even people who aren't that crazy about roses might really love this. And as it dries, it smells like creamy, warm, slightly spiced rose with other florals...completely, completely beautiful. Edited by Shollin

Abhisarika is one of only three Heroine scents that doesn't work on me, but it's still very lovely.

It is very perfumey -- in a classic floral perfume kind of way. Pungent with a lot of throw -- it's amazing that this is a natural perfume, it smells like something right off a very expensive department store counter. Which is not something I go for, but it's impressive nonetheless.

The cream sweetens the flowers, the musk gives it power, and all in all it's a very classic and dignified scent...really lives up to what it promises, a tall stately woman moving purposefully toward the object of her desire.

On the wand, this is rose. On my skin, it blossoms instantly into something creamy and lush that has rose as an undercurrent, but which, on top, is just this flow of buttermilk. It’s a cream-colored rose with just a hint of gold on its petals.

After a few minutes, that first rich wave fades away, and the result is a subtle creaminess with a hint of rose. I’m relieved, actually: while I was floored by the initial beauty, it would have been a bit overwhelming to wear around all day.

This metamorphoses slowly into a soft, subtle pink springtime scent. I am charmed despite myself -- it isn’t the sort of thing that I would expect to like, but there’s an innocence and freshness about it that is difficult to resist. It’s a scent that has never been jaded. Sadly, the scent fades out in less than an hour -- I wouldn’t have minded more durability -- but there’s a certain symbolism in that, too.

There are some perfumes where I smell them and think, "This scent smells like I feel". This scent goes the other way -- it almost convinces me to feel like it smells. A definite success, though a rather startling experience.

Abhisarika - In the vial, this just smells like a typical floral perfume. Once it hits my skin... PURRRRRR!!! This is so incredibly sensual and beautiful for a floral! It's not heady or heavy at all. The orchid is the strongest note, supported by the musk. I barely smell the rose, and the cream is very subtle. This is the scent of a beautiful and elegant woman, who is confident in herself and who does not have a care in the world. I really can't get over what a gorgeous floral this is. Even people who don't like florals may like this one. It's just so warm and pretty.

I love this scent! It may even be my new favorite BPAL! Sweet but a tad soapy (in a good way), creamy, soft, rosey, a touch of powder, yum! Reminds me of a soft silk or cashmere blanket with rose petals.

ABHISARIKA

In Bottle: Perfumey rose

On Skin: This is a very “perfumey” scent. Floral to an extreme… the rose jumps out. Rose is usually quite sour on me. Here it is in a way, but the cream helps balance it. The orchid adds a formal yet exotic quality and the musk is a beautiful base that also helps soften the scent. The musk is also quite clean and gives the scent a bright feel with a slightly soapy edge when combined with the rose. This is very pretty and very much a womans scent. I like it, but since the rose is so dominant I probably wouldn’t wear it often. Starts with a heavy throw but actually fades to a light throw fairly quickly. Short to average wearlength.

in the decant: Bright - not quite "mint" - and a light white floral. Ah! It's orchid.

on: Orchid, softened by rose, with just a hint of musk. Lovely: feminine, youthful and cheerful.

Very elegant, comes off a bit like expensive rose soap. There is a beautiful orchid edge to it though.

Initially a light, slightly green rose with a creamy edge. this softens almost immediately into a sweet, soft rose (no green). Like a dish of cream with rose petals floating in it. If it were a color, it would be pastel pink. And then it is gone in a flash on me. It lasted 30 minutes, maybe, and then I couldn't distinguish it at all. I was happy I had the change to try it, but won't be getting a bottle.

oh dear, i really love this. it's a warm sexy, musky floral. it also smells exactly like a perfume i've worn in the past but can't place. i mostly get the orchid, vanilla and musk, with the rose adding to the floral of the orchid. must. get. big. bottle.

Abhisarika

In the imp: mmm, this smells like the beautiful orchid from Shadow Witch Orchid, with a hint of something ‘perfumey’, possibly the musk.

Wet on skin: oh, this is beautiful! I can’t smell the rose but the orchid in here is irresistible!

Dry: oh wow. It’s mainly the most delightful sweet orchid, reminiscent of Shadow Witch Orchid, but with a background of something highly sophisticated and ‘posh perfume’ like in the best way. I suspect that’s the Kashmir musk, which seems to have bonded with the rose to produce a scent reminiscent of Othello and Rapture behind the orchid. I don’t smell cream, but this is gorgeous. Very grown up and ‘dressy’ as well.

After a while: eventually the floral sweetness and heady orchid tones down, it’s not as sweet but it is still fresh and pretty. The scent has become a touch more perfumey now, it doesn’t smell like Othello as much any more, but does smell more unisex, fresh and tangy, and resembles very expensive perfume. I’m sure this is the Kashmir musk at play here, it smells almost woody as well, like Lucretia’s Kashmir woods, but with that sharp top note reminiscent of the nicer perfume counter fragrances. This is the sort of scent that just screams to be worn with the most elegant dress for a night at the theatre or a date at an expensive restaurant...

There are times when a delightful creaminess surfaces to smooth the chic musk…it’s not a dairy or sweet cream scent, but more like the scent of a luxury moisturising cream scented with perfume that costs a million dollars. Eventually this becomes a soft creamy musky wood scent, with just the barest hint of flowers. The rose has been surprisingly quiet.

Verdict: this is such a stunning scent, and as one of Beth’s more perfumey fragrances (as in, it resembles perfume counter stuff, but is much nicer, and there's no alcohol), it instantly gives off an aura of glamour and sophistication, femininity at it’s most refined. At first it starts with a burst of the most glorious orchid note, rich and heady, with a sparkling musk background reminiscent of mature, high-end perfume. The rose is very subtle here and just helps to back up the musk, it gives the scent a similarity to Othello as well. The drydown is less orchid-y but much more glitzy and much more perfume-like, a creamy bright musk with a hint of something sharper to it reminiscent of more upscale scents. This scent makes me feel grown up and womanly, it’s a scent that feels like it should be worn with designer clothes or smart evening wear, not jeans and a t-shirt, although even just wearing it with casual clothes makes me feel classy inside even if I don’t look it. This is a beautiful and well made scent, and it’s also ideal for anyone who’s making the transition from designer scents to BPAL. I have a bottle on the way.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Yes, I need a bottle.

If you like this, try: Shadow Witch Orchid, Magdalene, Othello, Rapture

Wet this is dewy and wet florals. When first on it's a heady floral. This must be the orchid. After a couple minutes the musk comes out strong (which I like). After about half an hour the rose develops. After a couple of hours this is a soft slightly powdery rose blend. It's very light and delicate. This is a pretty and feminine blend. I'll enjoy wearing the imp especially as the weather gets warmer.

A bit strong and overwhelming at first, it feels like this one has a lot of calming down to do whilst aging. The staying power wasn’t very long the first time I tried this but it seems to have more throw when worn in hotter weather. This is one of the more classical, typical perfumey-type fragrances I’ve ever tried from BPAL – not necessary a bad thing but I do think I was expecting something better. I think this may improve with age.

Imp: Oh no. White flowers. High class soap.

Wet: Very heavy on the orchid. It's white orchid - a wet floral instead of the exotic spicy orchid I love in Magdalene.

Dry: I'm barely getting musk over the orchid, and I'm definitely not getting any rose, unless that's the powdery scent that lingers.

This is not for me. It's too typical of a perfume counter at the mall.

This is yet another that I think wonderfully realizes the intended character (youthful, innocent, passionate). This is a wonderful fragrance for spring, for me, because of this character.

In the bottle I mostly smell bright musk. Wet, the musk is most prominent but quickly dissipates to the background. Drying, I get a sweet cream as the top note, with soft rose underneath. I was actually a little surprised by how light the rose is. I'm not familiar with orchid's fragrance, so I can't pick it out specifically, but I can detect a floral note other than the rose, and it blends beautifully. The orchid blend seems very rich and perfume-y (in a good way) but not at all cloying. Dry, I can't pick out the musk as much, but it seems to provide good balance to the sweet cream note.

This has very little to no throw and I had to slather it on for it to be noticeable to me. The life was about average. It's a very soft fragrance to begin with, so it becomes even softer as it wears, but it doesn't quickly fade into obscurity. After several hours the sweet cream note was most prominent, but I could still get a whiff of faint florals.

Final verdict: this one is lovely and is a beautifully realized concept. If I had my druthers the rose would be a little stronger, but I think that would take away from some of the youthful feeling. This probably won't become daily wear for me, but I think it's perfect for cozy and happy-go-lucky spring days.

As should be obvious by the notes, this isn't one for people who don't like florals or fragrances that are a bit sweet. If you're a bit rose wary, have no fear, because this isn't a fragrance that screams rose.

000dgtds.png

Edited by naeelah

This is a very light, creamy orchid scent. The orchid note in this is strong and is definitely on top. The white undertones smell like pink roses dipped in cream. This is extraordinarily feminine and perfumey; very pretty.

The only thing I don't like about this one is that it has very light throw, and barely lasts 10 minutes on me. It is a beautiful, yet fleeting scent.

All the scents blend wonderfully on my skin. The orchid is lovely and reigns in the rose, and the musk is heavenly, making this a very sexy floral. The cream sweetens it to the point that I definitely will wear this.

While not usually a posh-rose-perfume lover, I decided to take a risk on this one.

Bottle: Strong rose and... wood? Sharp/bright musk?

Wet through drydown: Strong rose blooms with something posh and slightly woody. I don't know what orchid usually smells like, but it may be blending with the rose. There may be a hint of cream there, but it's too ephemeral to tell. Very elegant and confident, but a touch heavy.

Dry: This is amazing. The woodiness and rose blends more with the cream, and becomes this lovely background scent. Short to medium throw.

Verdict: Keeper! It's the kind of perfume I'd wear to a nice dinner out with the fella, or when I needed a confidence boost at work or school. For me, this perfume signifies a young, elegant, confident woman.

Note: I can't usually do white florals, but this one is beautiful!

Geek moment: Remember Jenny from the Rocketeer? When she was all dolled up and out at the posh club with the older actor, this is what I picture her wearing.

In the bottle, Abhisarika is a very high floral, rich and heady. High floral means: almost formal smelling. Sexy but not necessarily approachable. Perfumey.

On my skin, it's still a very high floral. It smells like a very floral potpourri, but the scent is more three-dimensional, if that makes sense. I can't pick out any rose in the floral, so it's either very well-blended, or this magnificent scent is all orchid. Whatever it is, my nose is glued to my wrist. It's so beautiful.

A couple hours later, the rose starts to come out on its own. It's a lovely wet rose. I can definitely smell the musk, and I think the cream might be there smoothing the edges. That high floral is still there, but the other components are coming out to play. I like the "I am supremely floral, bow to me" period a little better, but this is still lovely and engaging.

Verdict: A gorgeous floral scent. Seductive but regal. I'm so glad I got a bottle.

I love all these notes, and love the concept, so I'm excited about this one! On me, this Heroine is softer, less "bold" than expected, but lovely. Creamy orchid with a touch of my beloved rose. Not quite as thrilling as expected, but pretty and definitely a keeper.

A very pretty floral with more of a perfumey, almost metallic, aspect than most florals (probably from the musk, I'm guessing). This smells elegant and graceful. It reminds me a lot of a perfume my mom used to wear, too, so I think I like it largely based on nostalgia.

ETA: When it's dry, that metallic sort of scent I was getting has gone away. It's just a light, pretty orchid scent. I like this one quite a lot. It's not as good as Vasakasajja ( :P :D :D ), but it's very, very pretty.

Edited by filigree_shadow

In the imp: wow, that's like a shop-bought perfume, slightly acrid and aldehydish with a hint of soured roses.

On me, wet: powdery roses and 'perfumey' musk - it's very odd, but this feels like the sort of thing distant relatives would gift me when I was 12.

On me, dry: very faint now, and still has that store-perfume tinge to it. It only vaguely smells of roses to me now.

Verdict: I bought this to pass onto a swap partner, and I don't think I'll feel any reluctance to do so.

Abhisarika is creamy roses and orchids. It smells very innocent and springlike to me, and would be a good one to wear during winter when you want to smell full, blooming flowers again.

In the imp: silky, fruity floral.

Wet on me: This is so refreshing! Incredibly I couldn't guess it was a rose blend until I looked at the description.

Drydown: Very creamy; my mouth actually waters when I sniff this. The rose is still not dominant. This one blows Tamamo-no-mae away as far as I'm concerned! A lovely floral that I think even non-floral girls would go far as it's sweet and lovely without being too heady.