Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
janelle_hell

Snake Oil

By far, our most popular scent! Magnetic, mysterious, and exceedingly sexual in nature. A blend of exotic Indonesian oils sugared with vanilla.

I kept putting off reviewing Snake Oil, knowing that it only gets better and better. My imp, ordered from the Lab, is now about a year and a half old, and yeah, it transformed from decent but underwhelming to pretty goddamn fantastic. It's a lovely, smooth incense which does just what I want incense to do: expertly straddle the line of comforting and sexy. I absolutely need to pick up a bottle to age while I use up my imp. Only downside: BPAL almost never gives me headaches, but Snake Oil sometimes does; therefore I use it with caution.

I haven't reviewed Snake Oil because I just wasn't that thrilled with it. I was introduced to BPAL last fall at NYCC, and became slightly obsessed shortly thereafter. I ordered a bottle of Snake Oil with my first order because everyone raved about it. When it arrived, I was a little, "Meh." I didn't really really like it. I couldn't place my finger on why though.

Fast forward 10 months. This evening I thought I should give SO another chance. It's been sitting in my perfume box for almost a year.

Well! What a difference a year makes! I'm not sure if this is my favorite, but it's certainly growing on me quickly. It feels like the aged SO has a much stronger vanilla note, but I'm wondering if I feel that way because my nose has been slowly trained over the past year to appreciate a much wider range of scents. Perhaps it didn't change, but I did. Of course, it could have also aged into something wonderful...

Now I'm thinking that I might need to get another bottle just to put in the back of the perfume box and forget about! ;)

On me this unfortunately smells a bit chemical, kind of like acetone or rubbing alcohol with a hint of vanilla. I'm going to leave my imp to age and hopefully it'll turn into the deliciousness the reviews imply it should be.

Retested a week later because damnit this stuff sounds like it should be good and lo and behold it works this time. I don't know if my skin was just being weird last time or what but this is delicious vanilla-y goodness now and there's no chemical smell at all.

Edited by Heatherzilla

Blind test of a frimp; brown oil.

In Vitro Sweet booze or spice.

Wet Some throw during application. Strong, sweet, slightly boozy, a bit woody. Maybe vanilla. After two minutes I decided it wasn't booze; more woody, perhaps with cocoa. Quite nice.

Drying Woody and spicy. Slightly less sweet but still very nice, with a faint 'cologne' vibe. Four minutes along it was slightly faded and still woody and spicy but now vanilla emerged. Twenty eight minutes after applying I recorded it as vanilla and wood and/or spice, overall mellower, and not much faded. Soon after that I guessed at The Antikythera Mechanism. At the one hour mark vanilla dominated, and nearly three hours along what remained was faint vanilla. Eight hours after dabbing this on my wrist the scent was very faint and consisted of the "rubber toy" smell that (most?) BPAL vanillas evolve into when exposed to me.

So I finally got to try the legendary Snake Oil and it was actually good on me, which is a relief - yay, I'm not a complete freak! At some point I will buy a bottle to age, and in the meantime I like the fresh stuff enough to use up this imp.

I think I may just need to let it age, but Snake Oil isn't in my top 10 at the moment, strangely enough! I don't know another way to describe it, but most BPAL scents bring to mind images of movement or some sense of dynamism. Snake Oil is static to me; after applying it, I don't get the uplift or thrill that I get from other scents. It's not unpleasant by any means, but it's such a strange contrast from everything else I've tried.

As I said, perhaps I just need to let it sit for a while, let things settle so it can get moving (counter-intuitive as that may seem).

One word: WORKS

Every time I wear this scent I get guys drooling on me, occasionally I let them have a conversation with me *heartbreaker*

Snake Oil, it's nice to meet you again.

I tried Snake Oil early on in my BPAL life and just wasn't that impressed and sold it on. I think it felt a bit 'nothingy' among the other very distinct perfumes I'd ordered.

After a bit of an absence from BPAL this was one of the scents I was keen to go back to. I like Dorian and thought it'd be a good companion scent.

And I was right!

It's soft and sexy and vanilla with a hint of spice. Just lovely. I can't wait until this bottle has aged a bit.

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this one.

I had always thought I was in the small minority of those who can't wear snake oil. I'd tried it aged, new, different years, etc, and it always went bitter medicine on my skin.

For no reason I ordered a bottle with this years halloweenies, and guess what- it's awesome! Wtf?

Soft, spicy vanilla. More cozy than sexy - safe enough for the office, but sultry enough for evening wear. It seems to have "moods" on me- it can amp spices and patchouli- I swear there's patchouli in this- or it goes quiet and subtle. Very strange. If it doesn't work for you the first time, keep trying.

I just tried this blend today, it was on the top of my wishlist and I had been wanting to get my hands on an imp of it ever since discovering bpal.Let me say it did not disappoint!! I LOVE this scent! :wub2: The vanilla is very dominant and sweet on me but countered by the spicy and incredibly sexy undertone.

In fact it is so good I ordered two bottles of it ten minutes after putting this on, despite the promise I made myself not to place an order before I've tried all my imps...but I don't think I can be without a bottle of this for another two months :D

Oh Snake Oil, how I wanted to love you so! Sadly, this scent is way too heady for me. It's beautiful... woody, heady vanilla with the sultry sweetness of dark honey; but too potent for my delicate senses.

Got an imp...love it!!!! Strong, heady, incensey with a hit of vanilla that ties it all together. Long lasting ~10 hours or so. Will get several bottles! Doesn't cause headaches for me!

Very strong. I tried this because I wanted to see what the craziness was all about... but it doesn't really work for me. I asked my brother for his opinion, and he liked it, but I don't think I could handle wearing/smelling the heavy incense and spices until it wore off.

After several hours, it remains similar, just toned down.

What can I say about Snake Oil that hasn't been said? Spiced vanilla amazingness, with something red/warm/incensey/bewitching about it.
Didn't like it when I first tried it, it smelled medicinal and vaguely cherry-ish, and was just too bizarre and overpowering for me. But the more I tried it, the more I loved it. It's unique and completely one of a kind.

Edit: Once this has dried for a few hours, it settles into a warm/spicy vanilla, not too foody. Very nice, I just love it! If you find it a bit "too much" when you first apply, give it a couple hours.

Edited by Teaker

I don't have much to add to this, but I thought I'd review it anyway, since I just got a chance to try it today (slightly aged imp, about a month).

In the vial, this had a marzipan-like quality, so I was afraid it would be too sickly sweet.

Fortunately, once on my skin it got a lot better. Just sweet, sexy spiciness, yum! I'm not sure what the Indonesian oils smell like, but I like it so far. I'm also getting a sweet, smoky undercurrent of vanilla.

I can definitely see what the hype is with this one!

I'm in need of more sexy scents in my collection, so I might just get a bottle of Snake Oil with my next order :D

I have tried this scent multiple times and do not like it.

Though, I let two guys I know try it and it smelled amazing on both of them (one ended up buying a full bottle for himself).

So I know it can smell good, it just doesn't work for my skin.

Edited by icecreamcone

I am relatively new here , but I do want to say this is one of my very favorite BPAL scents so far. When my bottle was brand-spanking-new there was a bit of foam-rubber band aid scent when first applied. After a month, I don't get that anymore. I get a sweet, dark, earthy vanilla , sweet but not cloying. There is something earthy and reminiscent of a nice patchouli underneath , but on dry down and hours thereafter, it is just yummy, tasty slightly spicy dark vanilla. Probably adding nothing new to these reviews, but I do love this so much! I feel perfectly grounded and just a little more ready to go out in the world. My kids love it, their verdict was " oatmeal cookies" , but they are after all innocent little ones. To me, a must-try!

Reviewing a classic scent like Snake Oil is a dangerous step for a newbie. I'll take the plunge anyway.

Upon uncapping the Imp I see an old wooden incense box polished with lemon oil wax. The incense note is stale as if the box has been empty for some time.

Wet the spices start to warm and ripen and the lemon oil wax fades.

Warming on my skin the incense ignites. It entwines with the spices into a heady vapor. I get a whiff of resin in the mix. In its entirety it muddles my senses. I feel a little drunk, inhibitions low, and languid. This stage is sensual, sexual, and thoroughly enthralling. It evokes visions of bazaars filled with vendors, fortunetellers, and a dark eyed almond skinned snake oil salesman. Right now I'd probably buy anything he's trying to sell me.

Hours later it has lots of thick room filling staying power. I wore it to a craft fair today on my inner wrists. It was hot and muggy. So, basically the perfect environment to get lost in wearing Snake Oil. I found myself wondering how no one else was ensnared by this scent.

Late in the day I'm left with sweet vanilla mixing with sweat. A VERY SEXY scent that LOVED my skin.

On me, it just goes bitter with no sweetness at all. I've tried four times over the past month to no avail. I wonder where the bitterness is coming from.

Edited by Kanashisa

In the imp: Vanilla. A spicy, interesting vanilla, but vanilla nonetheless. With perhaps a touch of lemon, though?

Wet: Overall, spicier and less sweet. It see-saws back towards sweetness over time, but for the first hour-plus, I would describe this as a primarily spicy scent. However, my brother said that it smells like nicotine??? ...Which is a bit weird, since neither he nor I smoke.

Dry: A sort of vanilla-y your-skin-but-better. Which isn't surprising, since I tend to amp vanilla.

Maybe it's because everyone enthuses over this so much, but I wasn't as blown away by this as I thought I would be. A re-test several months down the line does indeed show an improvement - sweeter, warmer, more expansive. So while I feel like I do need at least one bottle to be considered a true BPALista, I'll re-test this periodically rather than reach for it every day. Plus, if the other comments are anything to go by, truly aged Snake Oil is out of this world, so I'll wait for that.

I really do like Snake Oil very much. My first impression of it was that a high-quality vanilla bean and Neutrogena Anti-Residue shampoo had a baby.

Snake Oil has a slight medicinal undertone underneath the vanilla spice that strongly resembles Neutrogena Anti-Residue shampoo for me. (which I love the smell of, by the way)

Wet, the medicinal note is sharp but after wearing for an hour or two, it rounds out and becomes sweeter. Definitely not foody-sweet, more like sunkissed skin-sweet.

Sexy... like kissing someone's who's been drinking bourbon.

Color-wise it reminds me of a tiger's eye stone.

My imp is probably 3 months old now, but it has mellowed even in that short time.

I think I'm missing something here.

I tried this years ago, when I first discovered BPAL, and couldn't understand why it was such a popular scent. It just did nothing for me. But the lab included a frimp of it in my last order, so I figured it was time to try again.

Sorry to say, but still not a huge fan! It's certainly a tolerable enough scent, but not super appealing to me. I don't get any of the spices or vanilla that others mention, which is unfortunate since I love spicy and foody scents. This actually smells mostly like Dove soap and baby powder on me. Maybe I just have weird skin chemistry?

I'm going to try aging this a bit and seeing if it improves.

I feel like I need to review Snake Oil again I am SO SPECIAL. I haven't reviewed it before on this site. Aaaaanyway... Because it changes on me so much, depending on when I put it on.

My standard Snake Oil-on-me experience is soft, warm, round. It wafts strongly, but it doesn't have much of an edge. It's a sexy vanilla spice latte with a little high quality hippie incense in the background.

Today, I amped a cinnamon note like crazy. It makes it almost unbearably sharp for the first 1/2 hour to an hour. Then it fades down to a very faint vanilla-resin-spice scent. If this was my only experience of Snake Oil, I wouldn't have two back-up bottles of it at all times. Fortunately, this is rare for me. Is it PMS? Is my skin too dry? Maybe I've eaten too much spice-heavy Indian and Mexican food this week? Perhaps it didn't get along with the traces Defututa I was testing before my shower this morning?

Who knows. But it is a tricksy snake who goes around in disguises. And the good news is that even at its sharpest, I still huff myself compulsively. This is the scent that gets me the most compliments from husband, Mom, coworkers, mother in law, and strangers. Everyone thinks they smell something different (coffee cake, patchouli, incense, gingerbread) but they all love it.

Edited by manycolored

Fresh imp of Snake Oil, will maybe review again after it's aged a bit.

In the imp: Smells like vanilla liqueur.

Wet on my skin: Deep, almost musty vanilla. It smells almost just like the real vanilla in the bottle I bought from Costa Rica.

Dry: This starts out a little weird as it dries. It threatens to turn into what I swear is Play-Dough, but never quite tips over into salty. I was a little underwhelmed at this point, but then the scent started to evolve as I wore it longer. Within an hour, it went to a musky, vaguely spiced vanilla, with the vanilla closer to my skin and the incense wafting in the air around me. It smells a little like vanilla sugar cookies sprinkled with cinnamon, and it's delicious. In my mind, it's a rich and creamy off-white with swirls of cinnamon brown. It isn't quite into "mind-blowing" territory, but it certainly is very pretty.

Edit: Trying this again after two months, and holy moly this stuff smells amazing. NOW I get why it's so popular! This is a gorgeously rich, spicy incense with creamy vanilla twirling through the smoke. If it's this much better after only two months of aging in a dark box, I look forward to seeing what a year+ will do to it.

Edited by DiesMali

Tested from my 4/5 year old bottle. Pretty and creamy vanilla background, but the spicy top notes are still a little too strong for my liking. Layered with a creamier scent, like Lyonesse, this works super well for me!

Incense and vanilla. I smell something which also translates as ink on my skin.

Usually ink is a death note for me and it verges on that but behaves enough not to be a major issue.

I like it but don't love it. Imps are enough for me.

Later: It got to be too much and gave me a headache. Guess I over-applied.