Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lady_Ell

Undertow

The Dark Side of Water: clean and purifying, yet menacing -- lotus and juniper with a hint of mint. A scent dragged up from the depths to the Stygian shore.

Imp: Hello juniper. I see we meet again?

Wet: I introduced myself, juniper. Why don't you let anyone else speak?

Dry: I am not amused, juniper. We have spent too much time in each other's company. And... what's that weird cedar scent? Oh. It's you, lotus. I see you are also not willing to make a truce.

Throw: Better than average.

Overall: I don't know if I'm Bond and juniper and lotus are the villains or vice versa. Either way, I wish that these notes had fallen for my diabolical plan to have them smell nice on my wrist.

I find this scent a little unusual, but I've found that leaving it for a couple months actually allowed it to grow on me.

I usually tend to earthier, greener, and/or spicier scents, so I ordered this imp just to see how aquatics go for me.

I definitely detect the mint, and to be honest, I'm not sure what juniper OR lotus smell like on their own. So I get a vaguely fruity/minty, vaguely flowery, definitely sweet, clean smell from this. I've been wearing it for an hour now, and I don't think it's really morphed since about 5 minutes in.

On the one hand, I tend to earthier, non-sweet scents. On the other hand, I keep smelling myself and thinking, "Curious." and then a moment later . . . ". . . but I sort of love it!"

I'm going to have to try more aquatics, just because this one intrigues me so much! I'm glad I waited on this one after my initial, "Oh, I just don't think this is me" reaction!

EDIT: And, after five hours, it's faded to an "if I hold my hand up to the back of my wrist I can only just smell what's left" shade, without actually having changed at all in that time. Nice!

Edited by Eyeska

This is my favourite of the Dark Elements scents so far. Initially it's a blast of sweet lotus (of which I'm not a fan), but the mint combined with it makes for an intriguing blend. Once on my skin, the heady sweetness of the lotus settles down in about ten minutes and the juniper starts to come out. The end result is subtle, dark, and cool; very appropriate for the concept.

In the bottle: Minty fruit, with lots of sharpness from the juniper. Does lotus usually seem really sweet and fruity?

Wet: Very similar - maybe a bit fruitier. Still sharp.

Dry: Juniper overwhelming, mint still going strong, but the sweetness that must come from the lotus is fading fast.

Summary: This is too junipery for me, and the combo of sweet and sharp makes me feel ill.

Straight out of the imp, it smells like Arcana's Anodyne: bracing mint. But as it dries, I can also pick out woodsy notes. Woodsy mint...and something sweet. Very nice!

Wet: MINT. Menthol-y mint. Veeery sharp. :P

Dry: My skin completely ate the mint. ATE! There isn't a trace of it anymore. Actually, I can't really smell much of anything anymore. Pressing my nose against my wrist.. I'm detecting a faint aquatic smell. This didn't last long at all.

On a scale of 1-5, I'd give this a 1.

Not a scent for me.

I also get mint when wet, and possibly a bit of lotus. It dries to light powdery mint and it's practically non-existant within an hour.

It's interesting, because I tried both Undertow and Twenty-One tonight and both have juniper in them. I couldn't smell the juniper at all in Undertow, but it's super strong for me in Twenty-One.

In the imp: Salty sweetness, juniper, deep blue water

Wet on skin: slightly medicinal, almost apple-like, and overpowering

Drydown: Gorgeous lotus with minty buttery aroma, cool, sweet and dark. The lotus dominated for about 15 minutes and I wondered if I cound handle it. But the three notes blend into a nice balance.

Verdict: The impression of this is not the menacing undertow of the ocean that sucks you uncontrollably out to sea, but the sweet captivating lure of letting yourself be taken out to sea. The saltiness is gone, and you're taken in by its sweet ride.

Initial thoughts: Now, I love aquatics... except this isn't an aquatic. Lotus is hot to trot, I do believe, mint doubly so... last thing I tried with juniper in it was Golden Priapus, which smelt like toilet duck. Oh dear.

In the imp: After accidentally spattering it everywhere... ooooh, yummy sweet lotussy minty goodness! Oh this is GOOOOOOD!

On the wrist, wet: Sweet, fresh, wet, glossy, slightly tangy mint goodness. Just a hint of astringency from the juniper. Sweet, almost vanilla'd lotus. That 'hint of mint' is fresh tangy goodness on my skin. Om nom nom.

Twenty minutes later: This is less sweet on the dry down - the juniper comes forward much more strongly - but I actually like it just as much. This is very wet and fresh and bright, without actually being an aquatic - a nice summer's day scent, or a pick-me-up for when my usual spices and incenses are too heavy.

Verdict: Keeper, and a bottle before too long.

Tl;Dr: Fresh, wet, slightly astringent but with sweetness and crispness from the lotus and the mint.

In the imp I get the strong lotus note that can sometimes remind me of juicyfruit gum.

Once applied their is a sharp pine scent (the juniper) that along with the mint makes for the impression of cold, deep waters. The lotus now seems like a watery floral,teh gum scent is gone.

After wearing a while the lotus is very soft and gentle and every so often I turn my head and catch a fresh sniff of mint.

It isn't quite me though.

Berry and lotus, heavy on the berry, in the imp. The two even out on my skin, and the mint starts to come out with a gentle cooling. The mint does a lot to soften up the fruity berry party going on, and the mix ends up slightly apple. It's a refreshing, optimistic scent - something you'd put on when you want to have a really good day!

In the imp, all I smell is mint. Toothpaste style mint.

Wet, still minty, but the juniper is coming out, the end result being something that smells like liniment. This is not promising...please settle!

Dry, sadly, I still smell like liniment. Definitely not meant for me. Off to swaps.

In the vial: It smells watery all right, with just a touch of lotus.

Wet: Wow, it really does smell aquatic. I can pick out juniper and lotus, but I have no idea what else is in this.

Half an hour: Lotus and something else. Baffling, but interesting, and still very aquatic.

One hour: Lotus mostly. That note has a way of smelling almost vanilla-ish on me, and this blend is one of the most obvious examples. It's less aquatic than before, more earthy I'd say.

Two hours: Still mostly lotus.

Three hours: Lotus (wow, that last a long time on me!) but I have no idea what else is in here. No aquatic at all that I can notice.

Five hours: Still faintly lotus.

Definitely hitting the menthol notes more with this scent. The juniper barely adds a tinge of spices that rounds off the sharp mint. There's this lingering whiff I get after every sniff that doesn't sit well with me, and the drydown is a very pronounced, powdery medicine scent on my skin. Undertow is not my thing.

Undertow-

In Bottle: Tea tree oil, and something fruity, like melon.

Wet: The tea tree oil's strong--yipe! I got it on my lip when sniffing my wrist! Woo, that's cold/hot. And the fruity note, but, yipe, let me go wash my lip.

Dry: There's a note like lime in this. This is a really interesting scent! I'm not that crazy about how strong tea tree oil can be, but this is quite refreshing.

Overall: Fascinating scent! I could really grow to like it.

Imp: Juniper and Lotus in the first blast with the mint following

Wet on me: Mint now. Mint over that antiseptic Juniper. The lotus is not as strong now.

Drying Down: less juniper but the mint still hangs in there but an aquatic type of watery mint

Dry: the mint has disappeared but left the lovely gentle lotus in it’s place. This is quite nice.

In the Bottle

What an interesting blend! The juniper is quite sweet and combines with the sharp mint in a fascinating way.

On My Skin

I can’t pick out the lotus in this blend at all. Right now the juniper is dominant with the mint lingering in the background. I thought from my initial sniff in the imp that this would be more abrasive than it is. But actually it’s not too bad.

After a Bit

It’s not super strong, but I can still smell the juniper and the mint. I think I need to test this imp again to see if it stays consistent.

Rating 1-5

Scent - 3 Throw - 3 Longevity – 2

Overall (not an average) – 2.8

Final thoughts

This is an interesting concept, but I need to test it again to see if it’s something I’d wear.

I got this as a frimp from an order, and tossed it in my box to test later. A few days later, I opened my imp box and got a whiff of something sharp and minty, almost pungently medicinal. I searched for it, and found that this imp had leaked, only a drop, but enough to overpower the "mixed imp" smell of the box. Intrigued, I put some on. Wet, this is very sharp and kind of strange. The mint is very strong, but the medicine-y smell (juniper, I think) pushes it's way up front too. It settled down to something murky and minty, cool and sharp at the same time. I didn't think I liked it, but wore it anyway. I am something of a waterbaby, but was kind of disappointed with my first brush with BPAL aquatics.

But wait! I didn't throw this one back in the box because it leaked, and somehow the little vial has kept me coming back to it. I decided to give it another shot, and it smelled exactly as I remembered it. I didn't think I liked it, but I couldn't stop smelling it. It's the mint! I crave this scent because it's fresh and minty without being sugary or toothpaste-y. It went to being on the verge of tossing out to on the list for a 5ml in the next order.

This one is very strange, and for those who might not be too sure how they feel about it, I recommend waiting and testing again. It went from "meh, kind of icky" to love and wild cravings for me.

At first whiff I thought I would love this. I planned to love it. It was mint, cool mint.

Unfortunately, when it dried, it turned to a burnt butter and plastic smell.

Initially on, Undertow struck me with a rush of a scent that I think of as "aquatic" (and I'm not totally thrilled by), but that wears off quickly and what emerges in the drydown is something sweet. Is that vanilla? It's hard to place, so I consult the description and realize, of course, it's lotus!

It's a nice, soft, almost powdery scent, which is pretty much straight lotus after an hour or so, though from time to time I get a whiff of mint.

In its end stages, this turns into a faint lotus sweetness, barely discernable hovering close to my skin.

Dark and deep aquatic on me. Aquatics are always hit or miss on me but juniper is almost always a win. I think it's that note that makes this blend work on me. Smells like there are dark, rubbery aquatic plants floating in the depths as well. Interesting and possibly a keeper :)

All I get is all Spearmint, all the time. And chewing gum spearmint at that. It's nice but it's NOT perfume in my mind. Passing this one off to someone that'll love it!

2/10 as it's not GROSS.

I'm a big fan of lotus scents and Undertow is probably my favourite, because I can wear it in more occasions than the rest. I amp up lotus, which can become bubblegum-like on me if it's surrounded by any other sweet note. Besides, it lasts forever and ever. So, lotus blends are definitely not work-safe (I'm surrounded by teens and I want to smell like an authority figure, not like a candy shop!). Here, the lotus becomes much milder and certainly aquatic thanks to the mint and the juniper.

I have no idea of how juniper normally smells because it is too often combined with cedar, cypress, patchouli or dirt/soil/loam/earth, notes that don't work on me at all. So, here, the usual dark and sober character of juniper is perfectly balanced with the happy, sweet lotus, with mint for freshness. A perfect sweet/herby balance.

If you don't like aquatics but you like BPAL descriptions and you want something related to water or the sea, this is perfect.