Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lady_Ell

Undertow

The Dark Side of Water: clean and purifying, yet menacing -- lotus and juniper with a hint of mint. A scent dragged up from the depths to the Stygian shore.

This scent is amazing. I was scared at first when sniffing it out of the bottle because wet it has an overpowering minty, cough medicine smell. When first applying, black licorice was all I could smell but on me it dries down to a very sweet, almost bubblegum scent mixed with cedar. I never thought that would work, but it does. I was surprised at how much I ended up liking this one. I'll probably be ordering a 5ml after I use up my imp. Edited by Shollin

This is a truly unique, nifty scent. Thumbs way up from the boy factor too, who has become quite jaded and rarely says much anymore when I stick my oiled wrist under his nose.

Yes, minty goodness. A hint of the juniper, which surprisingly is nice. And some unusual tang under all. Sort of... apple? Tart apple? Anyway, it's unusual and very nice. Soft and unassuming on me. While it isn't one that's knocked my socks totally off, I do find it quite pleasant and may well bottle after I finish the imp.

For me, a 4 out of 5.

In the bottle: Lotus and mint. I'm not looking forward to it...

Wet: Sickly sweet lotus and piercing mint - they really don't go well together.

Drydown: Yep, still mint and lotus, mint dominates at first. The lotus is still this practically fruity wet note. There's a slight herbiness from the juniper, too. Eek the mint is really violent. It smells like something I can smell at my dentist's - the minty paste he uses to polish my teeth. Eep. Once the mint evaporates, I'm left with a sort of thick, tart lotus. Which isn't much better.

Overall: Well, the description hadn't appealed to me, and as much as I was pleased to be able to try it because it was a frimp from the lab, I really, really hate this blend. It reminds me of unpleasant dentist memories, and I hate lotus and juniper generally. The only good point for me is that it evaporates fast. I'm sure it'll appeal to those who like aquatics and fresh sweet scents, though.

In the bottle: This is... strange. I think it's the mixture of juniper and mint. Kind of gross to be honest. I couldn't smell it for very long, there's something sickeningly sweet about this.

On my skin: Wet... blech. Not a good outlook for this one. It's just very overpowering. The smell wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so strong. Drying, I smell a tad more mint... but it's very murky. I'm not sure how I feel about this one.

Final Thoughts: Meh, it's not bad and it's not good. It's just kind of a smell. I'll retest later, just in case I had something else on my skin at the time, and see if it's any different.

in bottle:

yum some menthol - very much a dark marine scent

first impressions on:

very minty when wet. As it dries deeper notes come out, woodsy (the juniper), herbally but still mint - a nice complexity, I was a little afraid that the mint would remain as strong as first sniff but that's not the case.

wearing it:

I really like the way this ages - wet, it was a "wake you up" type of scent, but now it's a wonderful calming blend. Really nice!

overall:

I can really see myself getting a bottle of this after the imp runs out…

rating - 8/10

Edited by HennaFairy

In the imp...

Minty...cold....mint...

That's all I get.

I'm scared to put this on my skin...

I don't like minty smells...

But here we go!

Now I get.....mint and Juniper.

This reminds me of minty gum on me...

Oh geez..when it dried down...Juniper..wet...Juniper..

That's all I get.

I don't smell Lotus at all!

This is NOT for me.

I'll see if my sister likes it, if not - swapping it!

Undertow... when I first opened the bottle, I thought it would be AWFUL. it seemed so strong! But I have learned that smelling BPAL out of the bottle means nothing, so I put it on my wrist...

LOVE this! The mint was was I mainly smelled at first (even cleared out my sinuses a bit! YES!). As it was on for a little while, the mint calmed down a bit and I was left with a very pleasant flowery mint. Not so strong, and a lovely smell!

I give it a 4 out of 5!!

In the imp: Super sweet mint.

On my skin: Still supersweet mint with the addition of a faint hint of juniper. This is a very crisp and refreshing scent; however, I think it's a bit too much fo me.

Wet: Freshly crushed mint, very chilly. When I sniff this, I'm half expecting to see my breath when I blow it back out. It smells that cold.

As it's drying, I feel like Undertow is actually pulling me under water. The scent is still chilly, but now there's something dark lurking there at the bottom. It's not scary down here under water, though. The lotus is giving the scent just a touch of comforting sweetness, like the feeling of water enveloping you, which is a comfortable feeling this Cancer loves. :D

Dry: The water is all around me, black as night, and I can see no light. It's mostly juniper at this point, but doesn't smell fruity like juniper sometimes does on me. Instead it's more reminiscent of wood, or deep underwater plants that brush against your legs and wrap around your feet.

Of course I dig this scent. :P Can't believe I haven't ordered a big bottle yet.

I consider it a much more wearable Cthulhu for me.

Bottle: Mint! MY LOVE! OH MY LO--....Pine? Oh no. Not you again. Oh wait. Are you juniper? I dunno I'm conflicted in the bottle.

Wet: Smells like...minty cleaner. Like...Vim. The Vim oxy gel things...that you clean your toilet with. Oh! Dark water! :P MINTY CLEANER FOR THE WATER.

Dry: Okay pine is slowly fading...and the mint is saying "Good morning starshine! The earth says hello!" Meanwhile, I pick up a sweetness. Probably the lotus. Though my darling mint is in this, I still don't like the pine-y lingering smell. Oh well.

Straight off mint and juniper. Undertow reminds me of a forest in winter. This is a cold scent to me. I don't necessarily smell the mint as feel the mint. And there is a sweetness that shows up after awhile. It isn't a strong note though. This is very intriguing!

In the bottle, minty juniper; very herbal with a soft tang of a waterlogged wood. Wet, the lotus plays with the mint, making a tangy floral and aged wood blend. Very cool and at the same time very impressive in a moody sort of manner. Dark and tangy with a faint overtone of light floral. Dry, the lotus is lighter and faintly salty-sweet as the juniper and mint mingle in a deep-water smell that I've only encountered on a few occassions. This is dark water, shadowed by high cliffs and unfathomably deep with jagged rocks layering it's bottom while the surface appears smooth and calm. Very turbulent and misleading. Warm, well this doesn't "warm" as a scent but it breathes soooo smoothly. This is like a thick blanket of icy deepwater plants plastered over your skin, herbal and tangy with just the faintest trace of familiarity. Oooh, did I finally find an element I like? YES, I DID IT! YAY!!!

I've yet to meet one of Beth's aquatics that I didn't like, and Undertow is no exception. Wet, it surges forward in an icy riptide of peppermint and juniper, and dries into a cool, calm lotus and mint with a hint of evergreen. The drydown is soft and soothing, pale, almost gentle, like the bones of the shipwrecked dead beneath a calm sea.

In the Imp: Teethaching, pimp-slapping mint!

Wet: Minty with what seems like a hint of vanilla (i suppose what seems like vanilla to me might be the lotus?). Lovely. I can just make out the herbal note of juniper. It's soooo nice.

Dry: The longer I have it on the more vanilla-minty it smells. With just a hint of sweetness to it this is very refreshing feeling. Perfect for a summer day when you're wearing very little in order to stay cool. :P

Throw: Good throw, it keeps you enveloped in a nice bubble of herbal/minty freshness.

Overall: It's a bit candy-like, but not too sweet. It's fresh and minty, but has a roundness lent by the juniper. I don't really smell the lotus a whole lot at all.

It doesn't have the eternal styaing power of some other scents (i'd say on me it's upper end is four or five hours), but it's better than others.

I'd definately recommend this scent for those that like mint!

Edited by Galatea

Undertow - When I first applied this scent, I thought, "Oh wow! Finally a mint blend I like!"... and then seconds later, the mint morphed into cat pee, as usual. Fortunately, the minty-cat pee note goes away upon full dry-down, and the mint once again becomes sharp and icy. This blend also has a dark and deep note to it, something that is extremely enticing and slightly malicious at the same time. I can't for the life of me identify the note. Overall, this blend is very green, crisp, and clean, yet it has a ribbon of darkness running through it, and I understand fully how Beth came to give this blend it's name. It’s also amazing how it instantly clears my head when I sniff it. It has a low level of throw, but the lasting power is decent.

This smells like the listed notes – lotus (floral, slightly bubblegummy) with a blast of mint. The juniper adds to the coolness of the mint and offsets the florals. As it wears, the mints gets stronger and is crisp and refreshing. This might make a good foot lotion, cooling and soothing.

From the description, “dragged up from the depths of the Stygian shore” I expected something a bit murkier and darker, but then I realize I don’t know what exactly the Stygian shore is, so that’s a bit of research before I can really make a judgment.

I’ve had some great mint scents, but I realize that while mint does have its place, it’s not what I want in a perfume. Lotion maybe, but not perfume.

*siGh*

toothpaste... and a little perfumey something. but mostly just smells like my hands after i've brushed my teeth.

who'da thunk the river Styx smelled so minty fresh and clean?

after awhile i do get something rather medicinal-y, not completely unlike the Barbicide used in salons (that's "Barb" as in short for "Barber" -- nothing to do with hurtin' Barbie, here.)

yeah. definitely toothpaste and barbicide.

I got this as a frimp from the lab the day after I decided that I needed to try it - hmmm, interesting how that happens. As I opened it, I could immediately smell the mint. Onto my skin, the lotus and the juniper combine in the most delicious way. It smells floral and fruity and the mint gives it a little kick. This is so incredible and I am definitely going to order a bottle.

Undertow has been cut from every order since my very first - replaced with some new scent that I must have. I finally swapped for some of this, and I'm very glad I did. None of the notes should work on me (lotus goes very bubblegummy, I don't really care for mint, aquatics in general are bad), but it's lovely. From the bottle it reminds me of a very crisp, juicy apple - though it doesn't smell like apples. It dries to something light and fresh, and slightly piney. I love it. It's so good, it actually makes my mouth water when I put it on. I should have tried this long ago.

In the imp: minty gin!

On me, wet: hmm, this is indeed dark but very fresh and watery feeling. It's a scent that tells you to wake the hell up but to be very quiet in case the monsters hear you stirring.

On me, dry: the lotus comes forward a bit, and this becomes sweeter but still minty and menacing. It's like minty chewing gum that wants to kill you and eat your brains.

Verdict: oh, I think I'll keep the imp around - I'm unlikely to wear this as perfume per se, but it's definitely a good scent to wave under a sleepy nose to wake you up and terrify you into moving.

Cold and wet.

Beth can capture a idea so well with scent. This is a lovely smelling blend. But it also conjures up the depths of the ocean. In a not so gentle day at the seashore way...

Okay, I was going to review this but there's no way I can come up with anything cooler to say than Storme's comment, (Undertow is ) "like minty chewing gum that wants to kill you and eat your brains."

This will add a whole new dimension to my day, everytime I sniff my wrists I'll think of zombie gum.

So yeah, this is a lovely minty scent with a bit of malice. Excellent for hot summer days, the mint fans among us (I'm one) and for those who like their living dead to be minty fresh.

ETA: Undertow fades fast on me, and doesn't have much throw once it dries down, but wow -- it's like wearing little portable air conditoners on all of my pulse points. I can feel the oil, and its very cooling, even though I can't quite smell it. Very interesting effect, wish I'd pulled the imp out last week during the heatwave.

Edited by arcadia

I keep on expecting the lab description to lie and me to get vetiver or clove or something, but I am afraid I have to concede: Undertow is lotus and juniper with a hint of mint. A lot of mint but that's me - I have to say that mint is one of those things that gets on my skin and shouts "Hi! I'm mint!"

A lovely fresh scent. I got a LOT of cool scents and aquatics in my last imp pack. Too bloody bad Canadian summer is hinting at being over already; I could have used more of Undertow that day of 48C with the Humidex...

Recommended.

Thought I'd give this one a try before I swapped it off. I did not have high hopes for it, as I don't like juniper and am "eh" about lotus.

On: mentholyptus cough drops! Sweetish, minty and medicinal.

Drydown: Ack! Plastic and play-dough. Wtf? None of these are known to go that way on most people. Nevertheless, my chemistry obviously does not like this one. It smells absolutely gross on me and is making my headache worse. Must go wash.

I tried this a long time ago, probably about two years, and remember enjoying it but not keeping it. Now smelling it again is like a weird nostalgia-fest of my early days of BPAL. I seemed to have tried and liked a lot of mint blends back then.

Actually what it reminds me of is Frost Moon. It's almost a dead ringer for Frost Moon in my memory and I get a vivid picture in my head of Christmas 2004 or thereabouts when I smell this, because of it. Weird. The mint in this is a bit more strong and mentholy...perhaps it's kicked up by the juniper.

Lotus is an unsettled and slightly nauseating note in aquatic blends like this and as it did in Frost Moon it puts me off a bit. Still, for its curious ability to cause me to time travel back about two years I think I'll hang on for it for a bit. As has been said before, it's a strong aquatic mint, and I don't know if I like it as a perfume, but I enjoy the overall experience of sniffing this one! :P