Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
GypsyRoseRed

Intergalactic

I was so excited about getting to try this that I *had* to post a review. In the bottle, this smells very unusual. I get a touch of something fruity (I keep wondering whether it's peach or melon) and a sugary note. It's almost like candied fruit slices, but I can't explain it any better than that. I tried a dab on my wrist, and over the last 20 minute it's become generally warm, fruity and slightly sweet with very light throw. I wish I knew what was in this, because I don't think I've ever smelled anything similar to it in the BPAL catalog.. Overall, a very light and pleasant blend although definitely not 'me'. Still, I'm really grateful to the Lab for it!

Edited by Shollin

This is a very difficult scent to describe. It is a sweet, light, floral. I think I smell something like orange creamsicle with flowers and maybe a hint of spice. Definatley not powdery. This is a complete mystery to me! I have no idea what is actually in this blend. It's very nice on and did last a fairly long time. Overall, I find it to be very pleasant.

Edited by merivelle

I will third the thought that this is a difficult scent to describe. It starts with a sweetness that reminds me of Sugar Cookie but it's really only a hint. There is something citrusy too but it's also soft and a dash of florals..not rose, not violet, not jasmine...I have no idea what it is but all the notes mingle together to create a soft, lovely fragrance. It's not very strong but does have nice staying power. Quite different than most of the scents I have so I'm glad it's part of my collection.

I only have a small sample of this to test but wanted to record my thoughts on this very unique blend!

I concur that I don't recall anything else quite like this, though the heavy, heady spicy floral blends might have something in common with it. But it is darker and sweeter, incredibly complex.

A dark, thick, heady, smoky perfumey floral with hints of sweetness --

a vanilla-like sweetness, maybe a touch of creaminess, with fruit zest

around the edges.

Synaesthetically, and maybe this is just the time of year right now, it gives me the visual impression of strings of multicolored lights and multicolored tinsel and painted tin ornaments in every color. Bold, jewel-like and maybe just a bit garish if it's on the wrong person.

As it dries it has a faintly sweet, slightly creamy (not in a foody way) quality and the hint of fruitiness, though for me it's mostly a thick, smoky floral. It fades rather quickly, but is strong while it lasts.

I'll probably never see more of this but I am very glad I got to try a little! I'd say it's worth grabbing a sample if you like dark, strong, sweet florals, but I probably wouldn't ever need more than an imp to play with.

INTERGALACTIC

In Bottle: Sweet musky florals and fruit

On Skin: At first I smell a light skin musk, soft and velvety. There is a bright fruity note, melon I think and maybe a twist of citrus. Overall the feeling of the scent is beautiful sweetness. Nothing ooey gooey sweet, more fruity and musky. Maybe a bit of shea which I remember from Obatala. I also get a hint of the vanilla-like lily in Black Lily. So maybe if Obatala, Yemaya and Black Lily had a baby and let it play in a lightly musky velvety bed? All scents and notes I love… why do I only have a half imp?? Very pretty, very feminine and damn I wish I had a bottle!!! Absolutely gorgeous!!! It has a light to medium throw and short to average wearlength.

Mmmm. Musky fruit, heavier on the musk than on the fruit. The fruit is a sort of melony light scent, not terribly sweet. I definitely get a sense of traveling to another world with this one, a rare and wonderful treat!

Intergalactic

In the bottle: I think I smell gardenia in here. It's a white floral with a dry, peppery undertone. I really hope this doesn't screw up on me…

Wet on skin: noooo! Evil Gardenia! It now smells of white flowers with a hint of melon and Evil G's 'mutated burnt celery' odour.

Dry on skin: this scent is making me cry. Really it is. The dominant note is the gardenia, and it happens to be the gardenia note that hates me, not the nice one from Kindly Moon. It's turned to an acrid, dry, harsh, greenish, peppery celery scent that smells burnt and nasty. Underneath it are hints of better flowers, soft white blooms, but I get none of the delicious fruitiness other reviews mention. Just gardenia. A pox on thee, skin chemistry!

After a while: the Evil G's remains linger on my skin, now I also get a hint of white sandalwood, light myrrh (it reminds me of the dry, charred scent of Black Lotus, but less incense like) and some soft white dewy flowers, maybe orchids. Possibly an ozone-aquatic note as well, which gives the scent a feel of being spaced out and sparkling. There may be a hint of white musk too. The scent becomes a dry, ethereal white floral with white sandalwood at the end.

Verdict: this probably my biggest ever BPAL heartbreak, and it actually made me wonder what I did to deserve such a terrible skin reaction to this scent. A rare scent with a cool name that I swapped a bottle for, with glowing reviews that made me want it. I really wanted to love this. As a lover of all things spaced out and as a student of astrophysics, I admit I got this just for the name. But I had no idea that it contains my nemesis, Evil Gardenia, and it's not in bearable amounts like in Sacred Ho or Hanging Gardens. No, the gardenia here is the main player and like in Has No Hanna, she does the Dalek thing and exterminates all the other notes, taking over the fragrance in her evil, villainous way. This continues for about an hour. After that the scent becomes a little more bearable, a pleasant starry floral white musk scent with a hint of 'out of this world' ozone, and a backing of dry woods and thin peppered incense. But I just can't tolerate about an hour's worth of malevolent acrid celery and pickled petals on fire on my skin. This scent has made me so heartbroken-I suppose the bright side is that I can let others try this rare, exclusive fragrance.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? I will decant this out so others have a chance to try this rarity.

Edited by yeahbutnobut

This is barely there on me at all five minutes after application. It's sweet and slightly fruity, but I can't really identify the sources of either - it's not really a "sugar" sweet. I think I'll pass this on, as it's almost gone on me already.

In the bottle; My first thought is wow this smells like something I have smelled before, but I can't place it. But it reminds me of the holidays. It has a light musky, spicey, floral scent.

On: This maybe one of the few slightly citrusy scents I can wear for that reason I am thinking this has bergamot or something similar (no orange since orange goes :D on me), it also has something like maybe sandalwood or something in that arena. Making this scent a lovely blend of spice and sweet. I also feel like there is something almost aquatic in the back.

Final Thoughts: I will first admit this is not the first time I had tried this one and I had already come to a decision about this one so this review is quick to reflect it. While I like this scent there is something that just makes me feel like it should be on a guy (much in the way I feel Wilde is the ultimate men's scent). I am very girlie in most of my BPAL choices so this just isn't quite me, but I am so lucky cause it is swoon worthy :D on my guy!!!

Thank you again Beth and everyone at the lab, I get the best gift of all a great smelling guy :P

Intergalactic to me (emphasized since it seems to be in slight disagreement with bits of the above reviews) seems to really change it up as to the primary scent everytime I take a sniff. When I first sniffed it in the bottle it was candied fruit, musk and a little spice, almost fruitcake -- an unfortunate association to many but really rather pleasant. Then it seemed all musky and dark floral (kind of a low note floral, dim...I guess that's the gardenia that's been identified, tropical floral) but also sweet and kind of...nutty. I doubted the citrus until I smelled again and then would definitely vote grapefruit possibly also something melon-like.

When I tried it on with a friend at a meet-n-sniff, we both agreed that there was some definite spice when it was on the skin, along with the sweet fruit and a very lovely musk. Maybe cardamon? However now I'm going for some kind of nut too.

When it dried down this time for the review, I was mainly sweet floral musks and very slight spice/fruit. It's nicely complex and very fun. Something about the scent lightens it up just when you think you're heading for a down a dark spiral path, fun nutty fruits with the gothic musk/floral...like some friends I know, or would want to.

I think it's plenty feminine! :P Very pretty, not girly but not too darkly mysterious either, kind of winking at you. :D

Much thanks to my imp pimp for the chance to try this one :P.

First on... this smells very watery and fruity to me, sort of like honeydew and orange slices lite. It reminds me kinda of the watery musk that's in blends like Silence, but with more of a fruity sweetness and zesty citrus edge.

In the drydown, the fruitiness falls to the background and this gets a lil more spicy (kinda reminding me of cookies) and more floral (juicy floral? orchids?). It still has that creamy, watery smell to it as well.

Definitely interesting and rather pretty. Cookies, orchids, fruit, and watery musk? It actually makes me think of Storyville and the way that one behaved on my skin (spicy foodie and watery notes - but this one is lighter and more clean/floral on my skin).

I only managed to get a drop of this, so I didn't get to slather and try it out several times like I normally do for my reviews. I hope that some day I can get more of this one and we actually find out what notes are in it :D

Intergalactic - This smells almost *exactly* like one of the CT3's I got! WOW! It smells like candied fruit. My first reaction to the sweet aspect of this blend is that it reminded me a lot of maple syrup, but as it warmed up on my skin, it started to smell less maple-y and gained a hint of booziness to the sweetness, but very faint. I think SueDonym is dead-on with her description of this as "fruitcake" smelling. I definitely smell the sweet, glazed, candied fruits, although I don't think it's the scent of melon or grapefruit. It smells like glazed, dried, peaches and ... dates?! Behind the fruit notes is a hint of brandy-soaked nutty cake, and I realize that's where the sweet booze scent comes from. Yep, this is fruitcake in a bottle! I thought I was picking up on the gardenia that other reviewers noted, but I think that was merely the power of suggestion because gardenia amps on my skin, and this isn't even close to amping anything except for the scent of brandied fruitcake. The throw is really strong initially, but the scent fades within about 20 minutes, and after a total of 30 minutes on my skin, I can't smell it for the life of me.

Thank you willcall! At first I get musk, fruits and florals, and at I don't really dig it. Then after the scent warms up on my skin it softens to a pretty slighty sweet musky fruit fragrance. I don't know what the notes are for the life of me, but it is a festive and bright scent. I like it.

in the bottle: soft, sweet, musky

wet: something sweet, almost brandy-type sweetness, i don't get any melon at all.nor do i detect citrus of any time, actually nothing fruity really. but i do think there is a possibility of something nutty and i am definitely getting musk....i almost am getting a celery type note, but when i catch it it runs off....weird.

as it dries this is so soft, close to the skin, musky but not w/ alot of throw. and something sweet and creamy.

at first: sweet and a bit watery.

on: very sweet.

3.5 hours later: soapy and sweet.

8 hours later: powdery and sweet.

overall: this isn't interesting on me. my skin sucks sometimes.

I was so surprised and delighted to find a 1/4 frimp with my new CD decants! At first I couldn't figure out where I'd seen reviews for this. It sounds like it probably was a one-shot thing, so this is a rare chance to try it.

In the imp, I smell white musk (that "hairspray" note from Stardust--appropriate for a Glam Rock scent!) and something sweet. On me, heavy-duty Aquanet white musk with gardenia--a strong, sweet, and aggressive scent.

This smells like Lady of Shallott all tarted up for the disco. Which is a much better alternative to death-by-mysterious curse, really.

Now I have "Intergalactic Planetary" (Beastie Boys) stuck in my head.

This reminds me of Stardust because it has that sort of fizzy quality at the beginning, and then it turns into a very soft fruity scent with some floral. Maybe peach blossom? I'm also detecting something that smells a little nutty, but it's definitely not almond.

It's what I would call a skin scent -- it doesn't smell like perfume per se, and it doesn't have a lot of throw. It would be lovely to give someone a hug and discover that she smelled like this.

Incredibly difficult to describe!

It smells like some 70's scent but I can't exactly place my finger on it.

It's not really what one would normally call sweet or floral but more on the lines of a soft metallic and citrus sort of sex scent, if there is such a thing.

Interesting and evocative.

:P

Wow. Am I smelling the same scent?

I get the fizzing hairspray note of Stardust too... but mine doesn't smell like candied fruits :P I wish it did. Mine smells green. Like celery. I'm serious, it smells like mysterious celery.

no sugar. no sweetness. dries down to a waxy white floral with celery.

thankfully other people seem to love this one because it has no home here.

straight sniff from imp is all hairspray...

once applied still

that dreaded aqua-net pink can hairspray i used in the 80's with

some floral...white gardenia...hmmm

this is very long lasting and has incredible throw...i get a sense of

something bubbly or champagne-like after 10 to 15 minutes...

i feel very fortunate that i was able to try intergalactic...and in all honesty

i can say this is not a scent that loves me

I was lucky enough to come by a full decant of Intergalactic, but it startled me. My expectations were that it would be candied fruits and bright musk, but it's dark musk and deep florals and a hint of fruit and spices on me. It just didn't end up being as pretty on my chemistry as I was hoping... but then again, I'm glad to not be in loooove with the scent, because it's so hard to acquire. It's now residing in a much more suitable home.

this is a very close to the skin fruity floral blend. not a lot of throw, unfortunately...if this were stronger i think it would be fabulous. i'm on the fence over this one--it's nice, but not something i'd actively hunt down.

The lovely GypsyRoseRed sent me a decant of this as a thank you. :D

I can't really describe it, though. :P It's predominantly musky/foody- but not in a traditional way. It's almost a bakery-like smell- there's no cinnamon, or sugar, or anything like that. It seems to have a subtle floral note lurking in the background that sweetens the blend up a bit. This is definitely unlike any other bpal I've smelled. The only thing that even comes close is Stardust- the two share that hairspray note, but in Intergalactic, the note is much more... well, pleasant. However, that's where the similarities between the two end. Also, Intergalactic is a very light, skin scent. I like it, but I bet it will fade pretty quickly.

I'm so delighted to have some of this precious stuff, which I've been wanting to try forever. The sweetness that I got on first whiff from the bottle doesn't stay on my skin, but rather, it morphs into a more "perfumey" kind of classic scent. I can understand the hair spray comparison, but in a good way, if that makes any sense at all, which I doubt. :P The only problem, at least on this first try, is that it's making me sneeze! Big time allergy attack, which could be a coincidence, though I haven't had one for a long time. I'll have to try again and see. Did anyone else have that reaction? I've never gotten sneezy with a BPAL blend, that I can recall, so I wonder what's in it that set me off.

The lovely GypsyRoseRed sent me an imp of this with a recent purchase of a TAL decant, and some Pumpkin Queen! :P

Before applying to skin, it smelled like a cross between an orange creamsicle and 7Up, or Sprite. Bright, fruity and fizzy, and I was excited, because what a fun summer scent that would be!

Unfortunately, I must have the same skin chemistry as yeahbutnobut and myoubi, because I also get the evil celery note of death. Now, I thought I was a hardcore gardenia fan, but I dunno... I think BPAL's gardenia is just not meant to be for me :D At least, not in this blend (if it is, in fact, gardenia!). The good thing about it is that the celery stage doesn't remain, but it does last long enough to make me wonder if I can tolerate it.

The drydown is lovely and melony -- not ripe melons, but ones that are still a bit crisp. I definitely get a green smell, too. I do quite like this once it dries down, but it's going to take a few more tests to determine whether I keep it, or pass it on to someone else who will give it lots of love.

Still, I am SO thankful to have been given a chance to test this! :D