Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Ah Xia

Bitter Moon

Nepal poppy, lotus root, wild rose, and blue hibiscus with blackberry, tonka, sage, lavender, peony and vetiver.

Holy crud, this is all fruit. Blackberry, blackberry, blackberry and hey! where'd that citrus come from? I smell juicy, which I know is a weird way to describe a scent, but there you have it. As this is drying down, I'm getting even more fruity, juicy, lushness from my wrist, and I could almost swear that I'm getting some peach now too. Weird.

Ah, there's the herbal, slightly bitter edge. Niiiice.

This is a gorgeous blend, but I'm not sure that I want to smell exactly like a fruit tart on a hot summer day. Hm. Edited by Shollin

When I first applied this, it was very bitter, but that lasted only moments. Then, the floral goodness burst out and I smelled peony flowers right away. It has the same scent as Peony Moon. It has the ripe fresh smell of blackberries-just like I used to pick in Minnesota and make into jam. Just yummy. Somewhere in here is a spice too, just a touch, but it is there. Bitter Moon is a tantalizing scent that I will enjoy wearing! :P

This was a frimpie from a lovely forumite. Yeah, and I WOULD fall in love with it, now wouldn't I? I may have to find a bottle.

This blend is nigh on indescribable. It really is bitter, and I do like a certain bitter edge to my fragrances. Its very hard to pick out individual notes with this - it may just be that this has aged particularly well, but its very well blended. Its neither floral nor fruity nor herbal, but some transcendent aroma that partakes of all those and more. I can detect a hint of a vetiver twist, but it isn't VETIVER. In other words, the vetiver doesn't take over like it often does.

Bitter Moon isn't what I'd describe as 'pretty' - its a very edgy scent, but its just so damned compelling and evocative. I can't keep my nose away from my wrist. This is the kind of unique fragrance I search for, and now I guess I'm going to have to go out and search for it.

Ordered this bottle from a live journal sale on a whim as none of the notes are particular big favs of mine.

Wow! I'm glad I did! This is so different from anything else I have or have smelled! To make an odd comparison the oil I have that smells the closest is Crumpet Rebellion! But Bitter Moon is like berries still on the vine in a thicket, while Crumpet is the same berries in a flakey fruit tart.

Smelling from the bottle I get the sage, lavendar and vetiver as a bright and VERY bitter blast. Herbal and pungent.

On wet the blackberry creeps out and the herbs back off.

On dry the blackberry is very prominant with the florals blending well to provide a complex, non-foodie background for the berry.

Mmmmm, not my normal type of scent (which is resins or foodies) but one I'm really enjoying.

Hooray! :P

Bottle: Something very sour and high-pitched.

Wet: Fruity creaminess, powerfully sweet with a translucent floral shooting through the cream.

Drydown: A stale berry has taken over, as has I think the hibiscus because it's a floral that doesn't smell like peony or roses.

Dry: A mishmash of berry and flowers solidified with a gentle crust of sugar.

My rating: 4/5. I want to eat my hand. Yummy.

I won this in a BPTP ebay auction. It's quite different to other scents I've tried. I can really smell the tart blackberry, but it mixes with the other scents and I can't really pick out any of the other notes.

I'm glad I took a chance and ordered it - especially as I got 5 or 6 frimps thrown in as well as a fridge magnet and a postcard! It does disappear rather quickly, but I tend to wear the moon scents in the evening and to bed, so that's not a big issue. It definitely reminds me of Bewitched, although it's not as warm and ripe-smelling as that scent. It's more herby and tart behind the blackberry fruit smell. It does share at least two notes with Bewitched, though, so that's probably why I get a similarity.

I have no idea what this would smell like on the skin, but in the bottle it's quite nice. One can hardly smell the vetiver. It smells delightfully of dried herbs. The Lotus, sage, and lavander are strongest in the bottle. If you are tolerant of vetiver and are into smelling like a colonial kitchen, this is the way to go.

In the decant: tart white plants and florals. On my skin: the same, but sweeter. Florals—specifically lavender—start coming out.

1 min: oh do not give me baby powder.

5 min: lavender baby powder and vetiver.

8 min: tart and sweet. Lavender baby powder's tapered off, and there's a hint of something sweet—blackberry or maybe tonka—with the vetiver.

1 hr: rather faint. It's a light purple floral; there's something white and dusty in there, and a hint of berry sweetness.

2 hr: a faintly warm pale purple and white floral, with something sweet in the background

7 hrs: Wow. Still there. Faint and sweet—I think it's the tonka. This stuff lasts like mad. Will try again with more oil, see if the scent sticks around a little more strongly or develops more texture.

Love and coffee,

Frances

Initial sniff from bottle: Interesting; a bit sharp..the sage and the blackberry..a tinge of the vetiver. Yes…it’s juicy..but not at all sweet. A bit bracing actually and I like that.

Applied wet on skin: Juicy blackberry…tart almost and the sage with the lavender swirling a bit. I swear….I almost get a dirt/gritty like note at the tail end which I have to assume is the vetiver..but it works.

I quite like the mélange of fruit/herbal/grit ; it’s kind of stark; reminds me a bit in feel like Hunger Moon.

Couple of minutes on skin: Blackberry has softned up a bit..and thankfully..I am lucky enough that in this blend the blackberry smells like a clear tart fruity blackberry instead of something akin to cat urine..and I get more of the sage..a tinge again of the lavender and the vetiver rounding up the back. Not so much the tonka yet but it’s early.

Ten minutes later: Tonka has showed up and kind of given this blend a slightly creamy vibe; it’s still a bit fruity in a bracing manner with the herbs retaining it’s stark feel somewhat; I have to say I’m not sure I get a read on the poppy..but I still enjoy this blend immensely.

Hour later : Very nice…tonka amped up a bit with the poppy and the herbs and vetiver have left the building…blackberry is really very sheer with that hibiscus..almost invisible at this point.

Drydown Same as above

Lasting power on me is decent; 4+hours with throw actually average to strong.

I loved wearing this for about a week; it worked wonderfully well layered over Winter Maiden bath oil. I received compliments from my mom and sis..but truthfully I just was thrilled that I was finally able to find a scent with blackberry that worked on me.

Bottom Line: Bitter Moon just worked on me. Sure it can be a bit strident in the opening…but I loved its’ medicinal stark opening..the development of the fragrance with it’s fruit and herbal notes interspersed with the floral and grit…and then after all of that..the tonka lending its creaminess..and the poppy lending its lazy waft…sigh..I just loved the whole experience. Again..kind of reminds me of in feel to Hunger Moon but it’s different enough to keep in the collection due to the blackberry success. Keeper indeed.

I'll admit it: I first saw this on eBay and wanted it solely because Bitter Moon is one of my favourite films. And the etailer wouldn't ship to Australia, so I was quite upset, thinking I'd never get it. But on the forums here, the lovely Schackjj was selling, and I picked up Bitter Moon for $20.

I feel like I've just gotten the bargain of the century. (THANKYOU!)

In Bottle

It's light and subtle and pretty, with a tea-roseish note which is very, very faint.

On Me

Oh my GAWD. I'm worried this will just go to roses on me (I like rose, but I was hoping for more than just rose here-- for me, the ultimate rose is Peacock Queen) but it doesn't: instead, I've got this incredibly sophisticated, complex perfume which is all class. Bitter Moon is perfect for the blend, too-- it's not a "warm" scent, but it's still interesting. It's aloof and hard-to-get and complicated, and yes, there's a touch of something bitter there.

What can I smell? A bare hint of rose, mingling with something bitter and "cool"-- I'm assuming the vetiver (that stuff and I are GOOD friends), and I can detect the blackberry faintly as an after-thing-- but the main notes are completely foreign to me: I have no idea what these smells are but they're awesome-- either that or they mingle nicely with the others. (Looking over the description: I'm ASSUMING the dominant notes are the Nepal poppy and the blue hibiscus-- I have no idea what those smell like.)

It's complicated and clever and smells like a high-end department store fragrance which I'd buy: it's different, not overpowering, isn't dominated by one note, and like I said before, it's sheer class. I could wear this when going to work, when going on a date, or when just hanging out with friends... it works for me.

The perfect signature scent, and probably the most underrated BPAL I've encountered so far.

In the imp, it is herbal, medicinal, astringent and throat clinging. Thorny, with so much going on that it is difficult to predict whether they will glisten on my skin all at once, or go weird.

On the skin wet, the Blackberries are allllllll over the place. One reviewer mentioned Dewberry, and I wholeheartedly agree with that perception based on experience. This stage reminds me of a body spray someone gave me when I was 16. Since I saw the giver regularly, I felt somehow obligated to wear it frequently. Nevermind that I secretly believed the spray smelled like glorified B.O.. That note is definitely there, to my nose (and I AM a firm believer in very thorough, very frequent showers!).

The dry down is a bit more promising, but it just isn't "me". Never Vanilla, never anything silky or inviting enough to overcome the abrasive undertone this has. I don't know if it's Lavender (the usual suspect) or the Dewberry phantom odour.

Either way, this is regrettably destined for a more loving home.

The first thing I smell is bitter blackberry, narcotic opium poppy and a touch of sage/greenery. There’s a dry feel and smoothness to this scent that I attribute to the poppy. Although perhaps the lotus root is contributing to that as well.

I just reviewed Sugar Moon and have it on my other wrist. The two scents are indeed related. Sugar Moon is a much sweeter, girlier blend, whereas this is older, herbal, more restrained. The bitterness hides just how sweet this scent is. It shares this somewhat with Sugar Moon, though this is not nearly as sweet.

As it wears the scent deepens and there’s a roundness to scent. The rose comes out now and perhaps the tonka too. The opium poppy is not nearly as strong now, but still present. The blackberry at this point is not at strong but no where near gone. The bitterness and other notes combine beautifully with the rose.

Mmmm. This smells so good. I want to bury my nose in my wrist and breathe in this scent forever. I miss not getting the T, but I’m so glad that I got of bottle of this wonderful oil.

I didn't get any blackberry from this at all --- I got a light, delicate floral that I totally loved. Unfortunately the drydown turned into lavender baby powder.

BAH.

Wet and in the bottle, this was a very green and herby floral that kept my nose glued to my wrist. After a short time, the blackberry creeped in with a fruity sweetness that rounded out the blend, but the dominating smell was fresh cut flowers. Unfortunately, the whole smell faded the moment the oil dried, and I will definitely be on the hunt for something similar to this in the future.

in the bottle: sweet without being cloying, slightly musky but not aggressive, with a touch of tart fruit that i'm thinking MUST be the blackberry :D

wet on skin: oh wow. the blackberry is becoming a much stronger note. it's so yummy my mouth is actually watering! love!!! :P

dry down: yes. the blackberry has pretty much taken over- and i couldn't be happier :joy:

in all: like the tart acai berry in Daiyu, the blackberry note in Bitter Moon really makes this special.

:D :D :D

Bottle: Fairly light, slightly creamy herbal scent with a subtle fruitiness. Something reminds me of lotus moon and litha a bit...sorta golden.

Wet: Very clean, semi sharp floral/herbal with a tart citrusy feel. Other than the citrusy feel, its not really fruity.

Drying: This really does smell bitter to me--it has a citrus pithy quality, along with that herby floral that is obviously lavender and some other stuff I can't pinpoint. There's also an underlying sweetness that must be coming from either the lotus or blackerry.

Overall: A slightly fruity bitterish herbal/floral. Lasts about 6 hrs, fading to a faint sweetness. Nice, but not something that will get into my regular rotation. I'll pass this on.

In bottle: dry bitter herbal

Wet on skin: I can definitely smell the blackberry and tonka. There's a hint of aquatic from the lotus root, and the lavender and hibiscus are likely providing the herbal feel I get from this.

Dry on skin: The florals are more dominant, but it's not :ack: on my skin like straight florals tend to be. I almost get the feel of a drying-up swamp - it's a deep, murky aquatic, plus the dry herbals and dark florals.

I really like this scent. I'm glad I tracked down a bottle. :)

Sniffed: Rich gold/pale amber coloured oil. Sweet, fruity, slightly soapy floral. Blackberry, hibiscus, wild rose, the herbs and lotus all jump out. The blackberry/sage/lavender combo reminds me of The Oblation, but this is more floral.

Wet: More herbal and a little soapier - the sage and lavender really emerge. Also sweeter - the tonka's a little cloying in combo with the lotus. The aforementioned dominate the other note at this point. I do get the spicy, almost peppery edge of poppy, now, too.

Dry: The florals (excepting poppy, which has dissipated almost entirely) have bloomed beautifully, the tonka and lotus have settled to a bearable level, and the blackberry & lavender are holding. I'm getting a touch of vetiver, which sadly, I think is combining with the sage to make this increasingly soapy.

Later: I can't get over the sweetness of the tonka or herbal-soap of the sage - the combo actually reminds me a little of Western Diamondback, a scent I initially liked but now associate with industrial bathroom cleaner. Poppy is completely gone at this point.

Summary: Delicate feminine florals, herbal-sweet lavender and blackberry, with a slightly harsh soapy edge that amps over time - I totally blame my skin chemistry in this case. This ends up unisex on me. Good throw, fades a fair bit.

When I first opened the bottle, the scent instantly reminded me of some pink medicince I had to take when I was little, only a more bitter version of it. On my skin, the peony starts to come out. More soapy-herbal? My nose isn't seasoned enough to pick out specific notes yet. At first it struck me as a strange scent but its develops into something oddly pleasant. I don't hate it and I don't love it, but sadly I don't like it enough. It's up for auction. :(

This is lovely. If I could find a bottle I would purchase--trying from a decant I recieved in a trade 2 years ago O_O

It's definitely a floral with a hint of berry. It's sweet, but not foody-sweet. I do get a slight herbal quality to it. It's warm and juicy. After a couple hours it goes slightly powdery/soapy on my skin, but the sweetness remains, almost with a hint of spice.

Not "bitter" in the literal sense but rather evocative of the feeling of bitterness, this is a tart and shadowy scent which brings to mind the sting of jealousy when everyone else but me seems to have a date on Valentine's day. The blackberry makes itself prominent on the bed of florals--this is not a super-sweet blackberry but again, a mostly tart one with a hint of sweetness that is proabably contributed to in some part by the florals. I love how the vetiver and sage darken this blend and the tonka adds a bit of sexiness. This is bitterness I don't mind wallowing in :lol:

In bottle: sharp, pungent scent

Wet: Oooh, bitter is right! I’m getting dirt and vetiver!

Drydown: Okay, it looks like my skin amps vetiver, which is unfortunate because I just don’t like that smell. I was hoping the other elements might balance this out, but that’s not happening.

Later: No, this one just isn’t working on me at all. Off to the swaps pile with you!

Very sharp in the bottle and I wasn't sure I was going to like this one. Started to go powdery on me at first, but then the lavender and berries really jumped out, with just a touch of rose and sage. It's still mellowing on me, but I like this one!

In the bottle: Something faintly medicinal, must be the bitter. Rose, lavender and something heady, like hyacinth.

Wet: Lavender, bitterness, which turns out to be tonka, and a bunch of dried flower arrangements, rose, hyacinth.

Dry: Harsh, bitter tonka abusing a dried flowershop, and something that arouses a profound scent memory in me, of looking through my mother's Avon perfumes. I think this might actually smell like Avon's Sweet Honesty.

After a few minutes: The tonka is getting really really sour, and not in a fun citrus way. The powdery dried flowers are really amping up.

After first hour: The bitterness of the tonka has died down, and the flowers are now soft, sweet and powdery, I'm getting hints of lavender, rose, vanilla and amber.

After two and a half hours: Soft vanilla and amber, with a faint bitterness of tonka. This smells a lot like O.

After 5 hours: More of the same.

Final verdict: It got more pleasant as time went on, despite the tonka, but this is not my thing. To the swaps!

This is a super special blend. It's one of my birthday month's Lunacies, it came out on my birthday, and it's the first Lunacy I ever bought. And yet, it took me four years to review it and I'm pretty sure this is my first time looking at the scent notes, too!

This is a bitter scent from the beginning to the end. I smell mostly rose, lavender and blackberry in the bottle. On me, the vetiver and tonka come out, and it sweetens up a little bit, but it still has a bitter herbal tinge to it.

This ends up turning a little metallic on me, but I really don't mind that. I'm glad I finally sat down and sniffed and thought about the specific notes in this.

Edited by Kaylee